best (fish'g, bike'g) truck 4 family? and roof rack ?s

James Y. Yang

Guest
hoping to ask the experts out there for some quick help... we need a 2nd car.

info to help figure out the best truck:

* us: me 6', her 5'1 (step up height? trunk ease?), and new baby (easy access rear seating, roomy).
* beach driving (surf fishing, camping) in NC some weekends/vac
* everyday driving for her and baby (at least for now)
* would like to put a roof rack (thule, yak, or factory) to handle a torpedo shaped cargo box and
hopefully 2 mountain bike trays on the other side, get creative for spacing? any help on this?
i've seen it done i think.
* camping, no real off roading other than the beach probably.

recommendations for a 4x4? we drove a Mazda tribute, but after more reasearch it seems it's 4x4
capability is limited? bad on the beach?

the toyota 4runner seems like a great truck... if this is the one what should we look for in price
and specs? we'd like to spend no more than 17-25K, so we'd probably have to get a used one.

any help appreciated.... email preferred! Thanks,james

--
rec.bicycles.off-road is moderated by volunteers. To find help solving posting problems, or contact
the moderators, please see http://rbor.org/ Please read the charter before posting:

James,

Have you considered the Jeep Grand Cherokee? It's a very capable 4wd! Get one with Selectrack
transfer case. This one is full time/part time 4wd. The JGC has a roof rack capable of 200 lbs. But
if I were you, buy an aftermarket "wilderness rack" and put the bikes in a carrier located off the
rear receiver hitch.

The JGC is a very comfortable ride for daily use and doesn't sit so high that putting a kid in a
child seat isn't a chore.

Luck, Brian '01 Cherokee '81 CJ-7

news:[email protected]...

bulletsnbrains wrote:

> James,
>
> Have you considered the Jeep Grand Cherokee?

That's what I have and just love it
--
Rodney Long, Inventor of the Boomerang Fishing Pro. , Straight Up Hooks , Straight Up Lures, Mojo's
Rock Hopper & Rig Saver weights, and the EZKnot http://www.ezknot.com

--

On 16 Aug 2003 07:10:05 GMT, James Y. Yang <[email protected]> wrote:
> info to help figure out the best truck:
>
> * us: me 6', her 5'1 (step up height? trunk ease?), and new baby (easy access rear seating,
> roomy).
> * camping, no real off roading other than the beach probably.

Where do you

> recommendations for a 4x4? we drove a Mazda tribute, but after more reasearch it seems it's 4x4
> capability is limited? bad on the beach?
>
> the toyota 4runner seems like a great truck... if this is the one what should we look for in price
> and specs? we'd like to spend no more than 17-25K, so we'd probably have to get a used one.

It sounds like your concerns have minor conflicts.

You could get a truck -- a full size pickup, extended cab, 4wd would do everything you want. You can
even get it brand new for $25k, not loaded, but not stripped. Any manufacturer's full size pickup
will have more than sufficient off-road capability for you. Additionally, one with backwards-opening
rear doors on the extended cab makes the absolute best rear-seat access you'll find anywhere, IMO,
aside from minivans.

Additionally, the full-size pickup, while capable of having the rack you want, would not need
said rack.

If you look at SUVs, you will find demand-inflated prices on vehicles that are not great for
anything, but are versatile nonetheless. Most modern SUVs are not trucks at all, just station wagons
with a few more inches ground clearance and a taller roof.

It sounds like you could do with a Subaru, maybe a Subaru Forrester wagon for it's headroom, length,
and easy step-up.

You could also consider an all-wheel-drive minivan, which is more of everything the Forrester is,
except that the Forrester's smaller size may work a little better off road. My experience with
minvans is that they are _very_ comfortable, handle more like a car than even a car-based SUV, and
can do just about anything most modern SUVs can, but better.

You can skip the rack in the minivan, too. Just remove the 3rd-row seat for loads of cargo space.

> any help appreciated.... email preferred!

Strangely enough, it appears that my newsreader (the built-in one in Opera 7) doesn't offer the
option to reply via email.

--
Rick Onanian

--
rec.bicycles.off-road is moderated by volunteers. To find help solving posting problems, or contact
the moderators, please see http://rbor.org/ Please read the charter before posting:
http://rbor.org/rbor_charter.txt

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (James Y.
Yang) wrote:

> hoping to ask the experts out there for some quick help... we need a 2nd car.
>
> info to help figure out the best truck:
>
> * us: me 6', her 5'1 (step up height? trunk ease?), and new baby (easy access rear seating,
> roomy).
> * beach driving (surf fishing, camping) in NC some weekends/vac
> * everyday driving for her and baby (at least for now)
> * would like to put a roof rack (thule, yak, or factory) to handle a torpedo shaped cargo box and
> hopefully 2 mountain bike trays on the other side, get creative for spacing? any help on this?
> i've seen it done i think.
> * camping, no real off roading other than the beach probably.
>
> recommendations for a 4x4? we drove a Mazda tribute, but after more reasearch it seems it's 4x4
> capability is limited? bad on the beach?
>
> the toyota 4runner seems like a great truck... if this is the one what should we look for in price
> and specs? we'd like to spend no more than 17-25K, so we'd probably have to get a used one.
>
> any help appreciated.... email preferred! Thanks,james
>
> --
> rec.bicycles.off-road is moderated by volunteers. To find help solving posting problems, or
> contact the moderators, please see http://rbor.org/ Please read the charter before posting:
> http://rbor.org/rbor_charter.txt

When I got ready to get a vehicle with my fishing in mind I looked at all the small medium SUVs
and trucks.

I narrowed to the Jeep Liberty, Saturn Vue, Subaru Forrester and the newcomer Honda Element.

I went with the Element. The least expensive SUV with the most features I could find. Plenty of room
(head room, leg room, front and back). The doors were a headline feature and are nice. More
impressive though is the rear seat configuration as they swing up and fold out of the way are can be
removed. all seats fold flat and provide a decent sleeping area.

Mine is AWD which is nice for everyday driving as some of the heavy rains I have experienced lately.
I have experienced almost no hydroplane and it feels very safe (my last car would float at 40 MPH).

My only concern is the depth of beach sand it would handle. There has been some discussion on the
boards dedicated to the vehicle <http://www.hondasuv.com/>, <http://www.hondaelement.org/> and
<http://www.elementownersclub.com/>.

Mine is the AWD EX which includes a 270 watt stereo with a subwoofer, AC, expected power features
(remote locking is extra), roof racks (an option), mud guards (already installed). I got it for
$21,300 in March. I have about 23,000 miles on it already and average 20 mpg for fast driving
commute and trips to fish the flats in FL with my yak on top.

Worth a look.

regardsm

atljoe
--
"Atlanta Joe" aka Joe Webb Flats fishing is Flat Fun! Visit my site at http://flatsfisher.com

--
rec.bicycles.off-road is moderated by volunteers. To find help solving posting problems, or contact
the moderators, please see http://rbor.org/ Please read the charter before posting:
http://rbor.org/rbor_charter.txt

I agree with another post that a 4wd extended cab truck would probably meet your needs and then
some. I speak from experience. I own a 2000 Chevy Silverado Z71 extended cab. I mounted mountain
bike fork racks onto my toolbox in the bed of the truck. They travel very nice like this. Also, it
has plenty of backseat room believe it or not, especially for a young one.

If however, you want a SUV I'd consider several. In order of best to worst here's my opinion: Nissan
Pathfinder (new body style), Jeep Grand Cherokee, Toyota 4-Runner (new or older body style), Nissan
Xterra, and the Isuzu Rodeo. Beyond that, I think they really drop off in comparison. My wife owns a
Isuzu Rodeo and we have very few complaints. These have alot of GMC parts in it including the
drivetrain. That is a plus for me considering I trust GM brand. If you can afford a used Pathfinder
in the newest body style go for it. They are comfortable, lots of power, great off road ability, and
excellent access. For the trendy style, you might try the XTerra. This SUV doesn't have enough
features for me though. I enjoy leather and I don't think thats even an option with this SUV. I have
lots of friends who own SUVs and all this comes from my experience with them.

--
rec.bicycles.off-road is moderated by volunteers. To find help solving posting problems, or contact
the moderators, please see http://rbor.org/ Please read the charter before posting:
http://rbor.org/rbor_charter.txt

> info to help figure out the best truck:

I vote 4Runner. We use it for the same purposes you are. Roof rack is great for anything - I mainly
transport an 11 foot inflatable boat or a cargo box. You can also choose to use regular bike rack or
a tow hitch monted one. Whatever you get, make sure you don't get a truck with a spare on the back -
they are not very bike-friendly.

> * us: me 6', her 5'1 (step up height? trunk ease?), and new baby (easy access rear seating,
> roomy).

We're the same size. 4Runner has a good safety rating too.

We have never run out of space when packing for vacation - and we bring A LOT of ****!

> * everyday driving for her and baby (at least for now)

Very smooth ride, good safety rating, holds value well.

> * would like to put a roof rack (thule, yak, or factory) to handle a torpedo shaped cargo box and
> hopefully 2 mountain bike trays on the other side, get creative for spacing? any help on this?
> i've seen it done i think.

We put the cargo box on top and a bike rack on the hitch. 300 miles to Cape Cod and back - no
problem. LOTS of room inside. If you have only one baby, you can fold half the backseat to get more
space, keeping the other half upright for a childseat.

> * camping, no real off roading other than the beach probably.

My 2002 SR5 even came with locking diffs, which is good for the sand. Keep in mind that driving in
the sand is one of the most complicated off-roading tasks. Much worse then mud, IMO.

> recommendations for a 4x4? we drove a Mazda tribute, but after more reasearch it seems it's 4x4
> capability is limited? bad on the beach?

If you want ANY off road capability, stay away from the crossover SUVs. Go with 4Runner, Jeep GC,
Mid-range Chevys (Blazer) and Fords (Explorer) maybe even Nissan, Pathfinder. But no Muranos, MDXs,
Vues, you get my point.

If I couldn't have a 4Runner, I would choose Grand Cherokee.

> the toyota 4runner seems like a great truck... if this is the one what should we look for in price
> and specs? we'd like to spend no more than 17-25K, so we'd probably have to get a used one.

We got our new one for about 32K. You should be able to find one 1-2
y/o. in your price range.

> Thanks,james

Good Luck!

--
rec.bicycles.off-road is moderated by volunteers. To find help solving posting problems, or contact
the moderators, please see http://rbor.org/ Please read the charter before posting:
http://rbor.org/rbor_charter.txt

> ... My wife owns a Isuzu Rodeo and we have very few complaints.

Actually, forgot to mention - I used to have a Rodeo too... 110,000 miles before FIRST problem.
I loved it.

But there were some people I know who had some problems.... I bought that one new for
24K... In 1998.

--
rec.bicycles.off-road is moderated by volunteers. To find help solving posting problems, or contact
the moderators, please see http://rbor.org/ Please read the charter before posting:
http://rbor.org/rbor_charter.txt

Take a look at the Suzuki Sidekick. It's a very small 4x4, built on a ladder frame, true low range 4
wheel drive, good clearance, and also 4x4 high. Very spacious inside, small outside, reliable. We
use ours for backcountry camping, fishing, and for carrying bikes (road or Mt. fit fine, with ft.
wheel removed).