Best headlight for around $50

bgoetz

Nov 25, 2010
I am looking for a headlight that will help me see/be seen during my winter commutes. I would like to try to find a decent light for around $50. I am not sure if that is even possible, but I am willing to go used on eBay if needed. Throw up your suggestions.

Same here. I struggled through the past 2 winters with less than optimal solutions. I tried LED camping headlamps (up to 100 lumen) and other various cheap options.

Being seen is pretty easy, but you need pretty powerful beams to see the road ahead clearly in wet, snowy and icy conditions. The faster you go, the farther out you need to be able to see.

My last attempt was to tape 2 mini-mag lights to my helmet. The mag-lights were about 50-70 lumens apiece and did not really create a wide enough illumination field. Also the mag-lights have an issue with a lot of vibration - after a while the battery terminals get just enough corrosion to cause issues.

Higher intensity LED products are getting cheaper. I see that mag-light is offering products in the 200+ lumen range.

NiteRider stuff seems to get good reviews - nashbar has some units on sale right now. A 500 lumen unit caught my eye.