Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Best HRM for the price

Started by Phil Cox · · Last activity · 11 posts · 657 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
31 July 2007
Last activity
15 August 2007
Original author
Phil Cox
Posts
11
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
657
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–11 of 11
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I am looking at getting a HRM to help with training. I have a couple of
    friends who use the Edge 305. Seems like overkill, but what a cool piece of
    technology. I am trying to get recomendations on HRM's that provide the best
    bang for the buck.

    Note that I want it for general fitness, I do not plan on racing, but I do
    charity rides (longest is a 24 hr ride), so I need to be in shape for them.

    Thanks for any input.

    As a side note, I have had a Timex before that I liked, as well as a ECG5
    that seemed to be pretty good.

    Phil

  2. Phil Cox said:

    I am looking at getting a HRM to help with training. I have a couple of
    friends who use the Edge 305. Seems like overkill, but what a cool piece of
    technology.

    Are your friends faster and stronger than you? My problem with them is that
    everyone I ride with who uses a HRM is fatter and slower than me, so
    clearly they have a negative effect.

  3. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Phil Cox said:

    I am looking at getting a HRM to help with training. I have a couple of
    friends who use the Edge 305. Seems like overkill, but what a cool piece of
    technology. I am trying to get recomendations on HRM's that provide the best
    bang for the buck.

    Note that I want it for general fitness, I do not plan on racing, but I do
    charity rides (longest is a 24 hr ride), so I need to be in shape for them.

    Thanks for any input.

    For general fitness, just ride long and hard. You really don't need a
    HRM.

    HRM and Power Meters are useful to essential if you are racing where you
    need to know exactly how far you are from the red zone. For general
    fitness riding, even if you want to target the fat loosing zone, you
    can pretty much tell based on your physical state of exertion. No need
    to be so precise.

    But if you just want to buy a gadget to play with, then go ahead.
    --

  4. Artoi said:

    But if you just want to buy a gadget to play with, then go ahead.
    --


    .... and he said he did. Polar CS100 is pretty good.

  5. Artoi said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Phil Cox said:

    I am looking at getting a HRM to help with training. I have a couple of
    friends who use the Edge 305. Seems like overkill, but what a cool piece of
    technology. I am trying to get recomendations on HRM's that provide the best
    bang for the buck.

    Note that I want it for general fitness, I do not plan on racing, but I do
    charity rides (longest is a 24 hr ride), so I need to be in shape for them.

    Thanks for any input.

    For general fitness, just ride long and hard. You really don't need a
    HRM.

    HRM and Power Meters are useful to essential if you are racing where you
    need to know exactly how far you are from the red zone. For general
    fitness riding, even if you want to target the fat loosing zone, you
    can pretty much tell based on your physical state of exertion. No need
    to be so precise.

    A good working HRM can be as cheap as 30 euro. So there is no need not
    to be so precise.

    Lou
    --
    Posted by news://news.nb.nu (http://www.nb.nu)

  6. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Lou Holtman said:
    Artoi said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Phil Cox said:

    I am looking at getting a HRM to help with training. I have a couple of
    friends who use the Edge 305. Seems like overkill, but what a cool piece
    of
    technology. I am trying to get recomendations on HRM's that provide the
    best
    bang for the buck.

    Note that I want it for general fitness, I do not plan on racing, but I do
    charity rides (longest is a 24 hr ride), so I need to be in shape for
    them.

    Thanks for any input.

    For general fitness, just ride long and hard. You really don't need a
    HRM.

    HRM and Power Meters are useful to essential if you are racing where you
    need to know exactly how far you are from the red zone. For general
    fitness riding, even if you want to target the fat loosing zone, you
    can pretty much tell based on your physical state of exertion. No need
    to be so precise.

    A good working HRM can be as cheap as 30 euro. So there is no need not
    to be so precise.

    True. But the point is, you don't need it to get good training.

    If one rides with a bunch, the pace will be primarily be dictated by
    the group. If he really want to train based on HRM or PM, then one needs
    to ride solo and ride at a HR specific pace. Otherwise it's a bit of a
    waste. I just hate seeing people buying a gadget and then seeing the
    same in a landfill in 6 months time. Our environment doesn't need that
    any more.
    --

  7. Artoi said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Lou Holtman said:
    Artoi said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,
    "Phil Cox" <[email hidden]> wrote:

    > I am looking at getting a HRM to help with training. I have a couple of
    > friends who use the Edge 305. Seems like overkill, but what a cool piece
    > of
    > technology. I am trying to get recomendations on HRM's that provide the
    > best
    > bang for the buck.
    >
    > Note that I want it for general fitness, I do not plan on racing, but I do
    > charity rides (longest is a 24 hr ride), so I need to be in shape for
    > them.
    >
    > Thanks for any input.
    For general fitness, just ride long and hard. You really don't need a
    HRM.

    HRM and Power Meters are useful to essential if you are racing where you
    need to know exactly how far you are from the red zone. For general
    fitness riding, even if you want to target the fat loosing zone, you
    can pretty much tell based on your physical state of exertion. No need
    to be so precise.


    A good working HRM can be as cheap as 30 euro. So there is no need not
    to be so precise.

    True. But the point is, you don't need it to get good training.

    If one rides with a bunch, the pace will be primarily be dictated by
    the group.

    You are never in front?

    Quoted message said:

    If he really want to train based on HRM or PM, then one needs
    to ride solo and ride at a HR specific pace. Otherwise it's a bit of a
    waste.

    No it isn't.

    Quoted message said:

    I just hate seeing people buying a gadget and then seeing the
    same in a landfill in 6 months time. Our environment doesn't need that
    any more.

    Wow..I think you have to worry about a million other thinks first.

    Lou

    --
    Posted by news://news.nb.nu (http://www.nb.nu)

  8. Phil Cox said:

    I am looking at getting a HRM to help with training. I have a couple of
    friends who use the Edge 305. Seems like overkill, but what a cool piece of
    technology. I am trying to get recomendations on HRM's that provide the best
    bang for the buck.

    Note that I want it for general fitness, I do not plan on racing, but I do
    charity rides (longest is a 24 hr ride), so I need to be in shape for them.

    Thanks for any input.

    As a side note, I have had a Timex before that I liked, as well as a ECG5
    that seemed to be pretty good.

    What features do you need? A basic unit can be had for under $50.
    More
    features add to the price. You need to know what you need first.
    Then you
    can shop for a unit.
    ---------------------
    Alex

  9. Phil Cox said:

    I am looking at getting a HRM to help with training. I have a couple of
    friends who use the Edge 305. Seems like overkill, but what a cool piece of
    technology. I am trying to get recomendations on HRM's that provide the best
    bang for the buck.

    Note that I want it for general fitness, I do not plan on racing, but I do
    charity rides (longest is a 24 hr ride), so I need to be in shape for them.

    Thanks for any input.

    As a side note, I have had a Timex before that I liked, as well as a ECG5
    that seemed to be pretty good.

    Phil

    I have one made by CardioSport that shows 0 heart rate when near power
    lines. Presumably the newer models with digital connection or
    something between the strap and the watch do not cutout when near
    power lines. Something to check.

    As for using it to train, not really. As a toy, yes.

    Heart rate is not a very good indicator of training or even effort.
    Many things such as dehydration, time of day, heat/humidity of the
    environment, etc. affect heart rate. Heart rate is a general in the
    ballpark aid. Of course in the ballpark means anything from an inside
    the ballpark homerun to a flyball pop out to the catcher. Lot of
    difference.

    To train, you need a plan. Variety of books discuss this so you can
    get a decent general plan. Then you need to execute the plan. If it
    calls for hard interval work 2 days a week, you have to do it. You
    can't ride along with your buddies. If it calls for a rest day of
    easy pedaling, you can't ride a medium-hard pace with your buddies.
    If you are serious about training, getting the most benefit for time
    spent, you have to train by yourself most days. You can throw in a
    group ride once a week if it fits into the training plan. But most
    group riding is just recreational riding time. Not training time.
    You more or less know if you are riding easy, medium, or hard without
    a heart rate monitor.

    Nashbar has heart rate monitors from $19.95 on up. Free shipping
    right now. How much more bang for your buck do you want.

    http://www.nashbar.com/results.cfm?subcategory=60001054&category=600094&browse=&storetype=&estoreid=&brand=&searchbox=&start=1&orderby=price1&pagename=Shop%20by%20Subcat%3A%20Heart%20Monitors

  10. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Lou Holtman said:
    Artoi said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    If one rides with a bunch, the pace will be primarily be dictated by
    the group.

    You are never in front?

    Given OP's experience, I suspect he is more likely to be primarily a
    middle of the bunch rider.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    If he really want to train based on HRM or PM, then one needs
    to ride solo and ride at a HR specific pace. Otherwise it's a bit of a
    waste.

    No it isn't.

    Well, I guess there's different level of efficiency. If efficiency isn't
    so high up in the list of priorities, then the precision of a HRM isn't
    really justified.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I just hate seeing people buying a gadget and then seeing the
    same in a landfill in 6 months time. Our environment doesn't need that
    any more.

    Wow..I think you have to worry about a million other thinks first.

    Every little bit matters. :P
    --

  11. sports instruments FIT 2
    $29 on sale, performance bike

    the FIT 3 is better but the pin-holding part of the watch will break
    off and the band falls off
    i took 3 of them back to the store, finally i just made a band from
    velcro and glued it on

    wle.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.