rec.sport.unicycling · Public discussion

best Muni under $500?

Started by duncan · · Last activity · 29 posts · 751 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
rec.sport.unicycling
Published
17 May 2004
Last activity
21 May 2004
Original author
duncan
Posts
29
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
751
Views / 30 days
2

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 29
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I'm pretty new to unicycling, but I'm in it for the long haul. I can
    now free mount my 24" Savage, and ride off road. I also managed to
    strip the threads out of my left crank, where the pedal screws in. I am
    fixing it, but I feel the call of a new Muni...
    So, I'm asking for advice, as I'm looking to get a Muni, 24" or 26"
    and I can spend around $500. I'm 5'10, 165lbs. I will be using it for
    riding off road, with my mtn bike friends, and continuing my learning
    progression. What are your recommendations for my new Muni?

    --
    duncan
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    duncan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6518
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/32532

  2. definitely kh24

    i did about a month of nonstop reasearch on this subject (looking for
    munis at a price below 500), and it came down to the onza 24" and the
    kh24. i ended up going with the kh24 because it had the 3 inch wheel
    instead of the 24x2.6 on the onza. also, there are just a ton of reviews
    out there on the internet (of the kh24), and all the buyers were VERY
    satisfied and loved their kh24. i was unable to find hardly any reviews
    for the onza 24" 🙁

    its pretty amazing that we both had 24" savages and wanted to upgrade to
    a muni less than 500$

    the kh24 is 449 and the onza is 399, but you just can't go wrong with
    the kh24. its got the amazing kh seat that is constantly raved about;
    its got a mount for a brake if you really get serious; the problems
    about the ankle-biting nubs has been fixed with the new generation; the
    wheel is 24x3; and most importantly its kris holm!! 🙂

    i hope i've convinced you. believe me, i've done all the research. you
    can waste a month of your life doing the same research as me but you'll
    just come up with the same answer: the kh24

    -grant

    --
    tennisgh22

    The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a
    capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety
    labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    tennisgh22's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5771
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/32532

  3. The 'Kris Holm 24 inch muni'
    (http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=619) is the best choice
    for a sub $500 muni. Heck, it's the best choice for a sub $800 muni.

    The KH muni is currently out of stock. I believe the new ones are going
    to have ankle friendly cranks. The first generation KH cranks have a
    nub that sticks out. That nub can bang up your ankles. The next
    generation cranks should fix that problem.

    The KH is a strong muni. It will be able to take abuse. For aggressive
    riding it can't be beat (at least not in the sub $500 price range). You
    can do jumps, do drops, abuse it, and it will come back for more.

    The KH 24 isn't the best muni for all situations. If your intent is to
    ride dirt roads and buff trails then a 26" or 29" muni might be better.
    What makes for the "best" muni does depend on how and where you're going
    to ride it. For most people and for most riding the KH 24 is the best,
    but there are situations where a different muni would make more sense.

    What kind of trails are you going to ride? How aggressive do you plan
    on getting? Do you want to plow over things or go for speed? Smooth
    buff trails or rocky rooty trails? Steep trails or flat trails? All
    that makes a difference for determining what's the best muni.

    --
    john_childs - Guinness Mojo

    john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com
    Gallery: '' (http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/john_childs)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    john_childs's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/449
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/32532

  4. I'll put my vote in for the KH24 as well.

    --
    bugman - Survivor 2004 Wolfman Duathalon
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    bugman's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3812
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/32532

  5. Have a look at the Yuni/Nimbus; cheaper than the KH by a long way, but
    still excellent machines.

    They won't stand up to massive drops, but if you don't do big drops
    they're good- mines lasted 3 years of pretty much daily riding on and
    off road.

    Plus, if you get a 28" frame, with the money saved you could get another
    wheel (maybe a 29-er with short cranks) for variety as well as a muni
    wheel. Plus the essential tools (eg crank puller etc).

    But, if you're wanting the big drops, go for something stronger.

    --
    onewheeldave - Semi Skilled Unicyclist

    "He's also been known to indulge in a spot of flame juggling - but it's
    the Muni that really fires him up."

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    onewheeldave's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/874
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/32532

  6. The KH24 gets my vote too! Other than breaking the seat which seems to
    be common law, it has held up VERY well! I ride about 15+ miles a week
    of very rough/rooty trail with some North Shore stuff and it handles the
    damage I throw at it!
    I'd buy another before I bought anything more expensive.

    --
    zod - Icey Hot Stunta(z)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    zod's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3631
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/32532

  7. Hi Duncan. Ignore all these previous posts and listen to me. The KH24
    is the best Muni under $500.00. 😄 --chirokid--

    --
    chirokid - Wolfman 2004: Unicycle Catagory

    "Other than that, the best maintenance is to keep riding it as this
    helps to keep the eccentric nut on the saddle in optimal condition."
    quote by Mikefule

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    chirokid's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4140
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/32532

  8. ignore everyone's previous post except for chirokid, zod, bugman, john
    childs, and myself 🙂

    -grant

    --
    tennisgh22

    The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a
    capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety
    labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    tennisgh22's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5771
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/32532

  9. I would probably have to agree with the others, if price (as long as it
    is under $500) is no object.

    I am intrigued by an offering at Municycle.com called the Qu-ax. It has
    a splined hub/crank set which owners report is very solid. The frame is
    a knee-knocker, but the web-site says it can give you another frame if
    you like. The fat frame comes with brake bosses. You can get it with
    Magura's and a 3" Gazzalodi for under $500, or brakeless with a 3" Duro
    for just under $300.

    I had a rim shipped from them not long ago which arrived in California
    in under 3 weeks (from Germany). Shipping was reasonable.

    --
    elmer - uniimpaired

    "At 40 life begins...to show."
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    elmer's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5193
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/32532

  10. I think the best choice is the Onza, it is lighter than the KH, had a 36
    splinted hub and you can easy upgrad it with a 3.0 inch wheel.

    Lutz

    --
    Lutz - Memme

    '[font=courier]www.where.is.my.unicycle.de[/font]'
    (http://www.where.is.my.unicycle.de)

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Lutz's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1752
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/32532

  11. The KH25 is the bomb, but if you get a Gaz tire, a Mag. brake, and the
    rail adapter for the seat (all three are vaulable upgrades of for step
    terrain), the price will be closer to 650 bones.

    JL

    --
    vivalargo
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    vivalargo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5625
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/32532

  12. Hi,

    Lutz said:

    *I think the best choice is the Onza, it is lighter than the KH, had a
    36 splinted hub and you can easy upgrad it with a 3.0 inch wheel.

    Lutz *

    the 24 ONZA comes with a small rim. Not the best chois for a big 3.0"
    tire.

    Roland

    --
    wendino - Der Einradladen

    'municycle.com - Der Einradladen' (http://municycle.com)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    wendino's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/689
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/32532

  13. vivalargo said:

    *The KH25 is the bomb, JL *

    yea, if you can find a kh25 get it, cuz its probably extremely rare and
    worth a lot. otherwise, get a kh24 😉

    -grant

    --
    tennisgh22

    The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a
    capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety
    labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    tennisgh22's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5771
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/32532

  14. tennisgh22 said:

    *

    yea, if you can find a kh25 get it, cuz its probably extremely rare
    and worth a lot. otherwise, get a kh24 😉

    -grant *

    Right you are. I've got the only one. But I hear the KH24 is basically
    the same MUni, just an little smaller than mind.

    JL

    --
    vivalargo
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    vivalargo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5625
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/32532

  15. wendino said:

    *the 24 ONZA comes with a small rim.*


    I think it's an Alex double wall jobby, I can't see it being that bad.

    Just choose whichever you think looks shinyest, either one of them will
    do the job nicely.

    John

    --
    johnhimsworth - Nullus Anxietas

    What if the hokey cokey really is what it's all about?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    johnhimsworth's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1788
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/32532

  16. johnhimsworth said:

    *Just choose whichever you think looks shinyest, either one of them
    will do the job nicely. *

    In which case the onza wins hands down. Just -look- at those oh-so-shiny
    cranks! Mmmmmmm.... *dribbles*

    I carry a small polishing kit when muni-ing to ensure the cranks always
    look their finest. No good getting any of this dirty mud stuff on them,
    you know.

    Phil

    --
    phil - ex-studenty type

    "Cattle Prods solve most of life's little problems."
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    phil's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/915
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/32532

  17. I now have a KH 24 wheelset on my Yuni frame. This is an excellent
    set-up, weighing less than the KH frame. You can order this frame, a KH
    seat, and seat-post and a KH wheelset if you want to save a few bucks.
    The Yuni frame works great for one-footing.

    I think that the 24" Onza comes with an Alex rim that is narrower than
    the DX 32, and that it might not work that great with a 3" tire, since
    fat tires on narrower rims tend to fold on side-hops. I definitely
    prefer the 3" tires over the 2.6's or 2.7's

    --
    elmer - uniimpaired

    "At 40 life begins...to show."
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    elmer's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5193
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/32532

  18. elmer said:

    *I now have a KH 24 wheelset on my Yuni frame.*

    Did you need any spacers for that? Or do the bearing fit the frame
    without spacers?

    --
    duaner - -

    duaner.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    duaner's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4297
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/32532

  19. It fits with everthing supplied, but the spacers that fit in the larger
    KH bearing housings stick out so it looks a bit odd from certain angles
    but you don't really notice it when riding. I bent one one on the one
    crank grab I'vedone on my muni tho. Still takes nothing away from the
    performance. Dunno if you can see this on my 'muni'
    (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albuw11) or not.

    Oh yeah, I know it's not a Yuni frame, but a Qu-Ax one, but it's
    essentially the same and I had a Nimbus II on before with the same
    wheel.

    --
    one wheeled stallion - Guerilla Unicyclist

    OWS

    "In conclusion, unicycle... or perish. Because in the real world, you
    don't have time to think about a second wheel"
    -Zach_Jucha
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    one wheeled stallion's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4832
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/32532

  20. Didn't need spacers.

    The bearings have a larger outside diam. than the Yuni is designed for,
    but work OK so far. I did need to install slightly longer bolts through
    the bearing holders. I tend to use things as-is until they break. If
    this kills my bearings, I'll get new ones.

    This wheel-set is one I bought off of DudleyDoRide last week, with the
    intention of giving it to my poor bro.-in-law. But I'm having such fun
    with it, I might hold it for a while first. I still have my Wilder
    frame and Profile set-up, but the Yuni is fun for one-footing, and feels
    barely any heavier than my Wilder/Profile. In fact, if I had ridden
    this one first I might not have gotten the Wilder at all!

    Also, this KH/Alex DX 32/3" Duro Leopard combo. seems to grip better
    when Pecking up hills than my 26" wheel with Duro tire for some reason.
    Don't ask me why. And it is significantly lighter than the GAZZ/Sun
    Doublewide/Profile combo.

    --
    elmer - uniimpaired

    "At 40 life begins...to show."
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    elmer's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5193
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/32532

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.