Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

best qr skewers

Started by jakefm · · Last activity · 21 posts · 2,274 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
4 December 2005
Last activity
7 December 2005
Original author
jakefm
Posts
21
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,274
Views / 30 days
2

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 21
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I havent been chastised on the forums for a stupid question or some irrational thinking in one of my questions or posts so here goes. I read this forum part for information and partly to entertain myself/ waste time, this falls into the latter category. So whats the best quick realease skewer out there and why. insults welcome but it just means you take yourself too seriously.

  2. The one that costs the least, and works well 😄

  3. Sheldon Brown has an opinion, I listened. http://www.sheldonbrown.com/skewers.html

    Choose ones with an Internal Cam. I just changed the front skewer on my Felt for a Shimano Internal Cam, much more confident. I bought an Ultegra rear skewer for the TRY-bike, a front next week.

    There was a recent topic on this. http://www.cyclingforums.com/t291037-.html

  4. Can't go wrong with the Shimanos. I'll keep my Mavic Composite Skewers though, thank you.

  5. I like the Mavic composite skewers too. Works great, looks good. Been using them with my Cosmic Carbones for a couple of years now, no problems. You can buy the skewers separately (ie. front/rear) from Excel Sports for about $50/skewer. Not the cheapest out there but nice. Or get the Zipp or DT-Swiss shewers for a bit more but they're a set.

    Cheers,
    T72

  6. I don't use them, but I hink this thread has gone too long without the obvious answer.

    Nothing beats Campagnola!

    😄

  7. I like salsa.

  8. Glad to see this got some interest, Ive never really thought of this subject before but I started overhauling my brothers bike after the I posted my question, and He has the external cams and they are in pretty bad shape so I think internal cams for me from now on.

  9. dgregory57 said:

    I don't use them, but I hink this thread has gone too long without the obvious answer.

    Nothing beats Campagnola!

    😄

    [font=Arial]Umm... since "Campagnola" [/font][font=Arial]is a winemaker[/font][font=Arial]
    ( campagnola.comcampagnola.com )
    your statement may indeed be very true!!

    Of course if you're talking about [/font][font=Arial]"Campagnolo" ... that may be an entirely different story...😄🙄
    [/font]

  10. I prefer campy over shimano. The cam ratio is a little greater so they open a little wider, which means less fiddling getting the front wheel out.

  11. serenaslu said:

    [font=Arial]Umm... since "Campagnola" [/font][font=Arial]is a winemaker[/font][font=Arial]
    ( campagnola.comcampagnola.com )
    your statement may indeed be very true!!

    Of course if you're talking about [/font][font=Arial]"Campagnolo" ... that may be an entirely different story...😄🙄
    [/font]


    Sure, reply to my smart alec (and faulty) remark with your own smart alec remark!

    I should have caught that... wait, I can go back and edit, and make you look like you're framing me for a mistake I didn't make!

    I don't know that I would trust wine to hold on my wheels.

    I own wine, just not Campagnola... and I own skewers, just not Campagnolo.

  12. boudreaux said:

    Sheldon Brown has a story on skewers at www.harriacyclery.com Search skewer, and read it before throwing down the clams. Mundane old ultegtras are hard to beat but don't make points with weight weenies or poseur's

    God, I really miss that guy. 🙁

  13. jakefm said:

    I havent been chastised on the forums for a stupid question or some irrational thinking in one of my questions or posts so here goes. I read this forum part for information and partly to entertain myself/ waste time, this falls into the latter category. So whats the best quick realease skewer out there and why. insults welcome but it just means you take yourself too seriously.


    the real question is what are the best chain ring bolts or seatpost bolts.:eek:

  14. neuvationcycling.comskewers.html

  15. There's no doubt that the Sheldon Brown article on skewers is right on the money. Light as they may be, the external-cam type boutique skewers just don't get the job done. In my aluminum frame, there is just too much slippage of the rear wheel. Standard old steel skewers, at least the high-quality variants, just can't be beat. One model I have found that is REALLY bombproof is the FSA Scatto skewers. They aren't too expensive, and they are based on the design of those cool old Simplex skewers that you sometimes see on Ebay for like $200 a pair.

    jakefm said:

    I havent been chastised on the forums for a stupid question or some irrational thinking in one of my questions or posts so here goes. I read this forum part for information and partly to entertain myself/ waste time, this falls into the latter category. So whats the best quick realease skewer out there and why. insults welcome but it just means you take yourself too seriously.

  16. With all due respect, that's just what you don't want. Long-travel skewers with external cams - no no no!

    yes said:

    neuvationcycling.comskewers.html

  17. davidd86 said:

    With all due respect, that's just what you don't want. Long-travel skewers with external cams - no no no!

    With all due respect, internal cammed skewers aren't always necessary. Vertical dropouts make them unneccessary. And FWIW, saying that all external cam skewers don't work is a lot like saying that steel bikes are prone to rusting, all aluminum bikes have jackhammer rides.........basically just stupid.

    While I'm not terribly impressed w/ my Bontrager Race X Lite wheels, I can say that when they were on my Paramount.....horizontal dropouts.....the Bontrager external cam QR's NEVER slipped, and I didn't have to crank them unusually tight. The skewers in an old set of Mavic Cosmos wheels were prone to slipping.

  18. I agree with most. Internal cam skewers have worked much better for me. Mavic are great, easy on and off with a light touch. Worst I have ever used are American Classic. Once set at the right pressure to keep the wheel tight, they are a real pain in the ass to remove. Mavic, good. AC, bad.

  19. HammerHead said:

    I agree with most. Internal cam skewers have worked much better for me. Mavic are great, easy on and off with a light touch. Worst I have ever used are American Classic. Once set at the right pressure to keep the wheel tight, they are a real pain in the ass to remove. Mavic, good. AC, bad.

    I like the internal cam design (I have Record, Centaur, Ultegra and 2 set's of 105's). They all work perfectly fine, look nice and fit securely in my trainer. I have used a set of Performance Q-stix Ti. Super light, but creaky.

  20. HammerHead said:

    I agree with most. Internal cam skewers have worked much better for me. Mavic are great, easy on and off with a light touch. Worst I have ever used are American Classic. Once set at the right pressure to keep the wheel tight, they are a real pain in the ass to remove. Mavic, good. AC, bad.

    Aren't Mavics' a modified external cam design?

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.