Road Cycling · Public discussion

best towns for winter training "camps"

Started by Chris Wiggins · · Last activity · 17 posts · 1,003 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
5 February 2006
Last activity
6 February 2006
Original author
Chris Wiggins
Posts
17
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,003
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–17 of 17
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I'm going to be taking a couple weeks off from work soon (in
    minneapolis) to travel somewhere warm for some training. Any
    suggestions for the best towns in the US I should consider for this? I
    am leaning towards temecula, ca (home of Floyd Landis) but am wide open
    for suggestions. Here's what I'm after:

    ... needs to have decent temperatures this time of year (near 70 at minimum)
    ... needs to have a pleasant, comfortable place to stay with a fitness
    room & high speed internet
    ... needs to have easy access to great cycling roads and good climbing
    w/o much in-city riding necessary to get to them

    As I said I'm inclined towards california but I could be talked into
    other suggestions. Arizona maybe? Other thoughts?

  2. Chris Wiggins said:

    minneapolis) to travel somewhere warm for some training.

    .. needs to have decent temperatures this time of year (near 70 at minimum)
    .. needs to have a pleasant, comfortable place to stay with a fitness
    room & high speed internet
    .. needs to have easy access to great cycling roads and good climbing
    w/o much in-city riding necessary to get to them

    I got a spare room

    Ya can see the finish of P-N if you like too

    Shoulda come last week; I saw a coupla stages of Etoile de Bessèges and
    the GPO before that.

    Lotsa chain gangs round here too

    Just jump on the back - most of them don't mind

    At least none of them told Davey to get lost yet

    Ride with some real pros, hang out with them too at a certain bike shop or
    certain two-three cafés when they are around

    Just think of the Braggin' Rights you'd get when ya dropped a few names
    in RBR

    Heck, I've been a career long supporter of one lad, and when his squad
    set up camp reasonably close by a few weeks back, he practically lived
    here.

    --
    Le Vent à Dos
    Davey Crockett
    Dit 'NON' aux brevets Logiciels
    http://brevets-logiciels.info/

  3. "Davey Crockett" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Chris Wiggins said:

    minneapolis) to travel somewhere warm for some training.

    .. needs to have decent temperatures this time of year (near 70 at
    minimum)
    .. needs to have a pleasant, comfortable place to stay with a fitness
    room & high speed internet
    .. needs to have easy access to great cycling roads and good climbing
    w/o much in-city riding necessary to get to them

    I got a spare room

    Ya can see the finish of P-N if you like too

    Shoulda come last week; I saw a coupla stages of Etoile de Bessèges and
    the GPO before that.

    Lotsa chain gangs round here too

    Just jump on the back - most of them don't mind

    At least none of them told Davey to get lost yet

    Ride with some real pros, hang out with them too at a certain bike shop or
    certain two-three cafés when they are around

    Just think of the Braggin' Rights you'd get when ya dropped a few names
    in RBR

    More likely you'll be driven away.....like Bruce Hildenbrand.

    Quoted message said:


    Heck, I've been a career long supporter of one lad, and when his squad
    set up camp reasonably close by a few weeks back, he practically lived
    here.

    --
    Le Vent à Dos
    Davey Crockett
    Dit 'NON' aux brevets Logiciels
    http://brevets-logiciels.info/

  4. From what I've read, and based on the fact the Tour of California is going through the
    region in a few weeks, I'd pick Solvang, CA.

  5. On Sat, 4 Feb 2006 23:08:08 -0600, Chris Wiggins <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:


    .. needs to have decent temperatures
    this time of year (near 70 at minimum)

    You sound soft. Buck up, this isn't chess or fantasy football.

    JT

    ****************************
    Remove "remove" to reply
    Visit http://www.jt10000.com
    ****************************

  6. John Forrest Tomlinson said:

    On Sat, 4 Feb 2006 23:08:08 -0600, Chris Wiggins <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    .. needs to have decent temperatures
    this time of year (near 70 at minimum)

    You sound soft. Buck up, this isn't chess or fantasy football.

    Good point. Scrap Solvang -- flights to Belgium are quite affordable right now.

  7. Davis, California
    http://www.runmuki.com/paul/writing/davis.html
    http://sportclubs.ucdavis.edu/cycling/
    http://www.taps.ucdavis.edu/bicycle/davis/community.html
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Davis,_California

    Tucson, Arizona
    http://www.havenworks.com/tucson/el-tour-de-tucson/photos/
    http://www.cyclingplaces.com/route/index.php?route_id=383
    http://gordfrasercycling.com/
    http://www.bikingtucson.com/

    Aix-En-Provence, France
    http://www.provence-vacation.dk/
    http://www.provence-vacation.dk/index.asp?id=&includepage=buildquery&lang=uk&area=

  8. Chris

    How about Texas Hill Country, east of Austin? Fredericksburg, Kerrville,
    Utopia? The ranch house that we stay at in Utopia does not have the fitness
    room nor does it have high speed internet, but it has the rest of your list
    covered. We were just there a couple of weeks ago.

    Email me at gabagabahey - at - yahoo dot com if you'd like further info.

    Jim K.
    Minneapolis
    http://jkruzit.blogspot.com/

    --

    "Chris Wiggins" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:2006020423080816807-cwiggins@maccom...

    Quoted message said:


    I'm going to be taking a couple weeks off from work soon (in minneapolis)
    to travel somewhere warm for some training. Any suggestions for the best
    towns in the US I should consider for this? I am leaning towards temecula,
    ca (home of Floyd Landis) but am wide open for suggestions. Here's what
    I'm after:

    .. needs to have decent temperatures this time of year (near 70 at
    minimum)
    .. needs to have a pleasant, comfortable place to stay with a fitness room
    & high speed internet
    .. needs to have easy access to great cycling roads and good climbing w/o
    much in-city riding necessary to get to them

    As I said I'm inclined towards california but I could be talked into other
    suggestions. Arizona maybe? Other thoughts?

    ----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Unrestricted-Secure Usenet News==----
    http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups
    ----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----

  9. jmk said:

    Chris

    How about Texas Hill Country, east of Austin? Fredericksburg, Kerrville,
    Utopia? The ranch house that we stay at in Utopia does not have the fitness
    room nor does it have high speed internet, but it has the rest of your list
    covered. We were just there a couple of weeks ago.

    http://www.hellweek.com/

    Issue: Frederickburg lacks any extended climbs. Plus, I think being on the Tour of
    California route is desirable, if the timing is favorable. Additionally, it's
    warmer in Solvang around now.

    Dan

  10. Chris Wiggins said:

    I'm going to be taking a couple weeks off from work soon (in
    minneapolis) to travel somewhere warm for some training. Any
    suggestions for the best towns in the US I should consider for this? I
    am leaning towards temecula, ca (home of Floyd Landis) but am wide open
    for suggestions. Here's what I'm after:

    .. needs to have decent temperatures this time of year (near 70 at minimum)
    .. needs to have a pleasant, comfortable place to stay with a fitness
    room & high speed internet
    .. needs to have easy access to great cycling roads and good climbing
    w/o much in-city riding necessary to get to them

    As I said I'm inclined towards california but I could be talked into
    other suggestions. Arizona maybe? Other thoughts?

    Tucson, if you want to socialize w/ other riders during/after rides,
    Sierra Vista (85 SE of Tucson, near Bisbee/Tombstone) if you just want
    kick-ass riding w/ minimal auto traffic.

  11. Dan Connelly said:

    Plus, I think being on the Tour of
    California route is desirable, if the timing is favorable. Additionally,
    it's
    warmer in Solvang around now.

    Dan is right (as usual)... Solvang (or Buellton) is pretty much perfect for
    a winter training camp. There's a reason the pro teams go there. Great roads
    w/ minimal traffic, 4 kft climbs nearby, and lots of wineries.

  12. After you come to your senses and decide to go to Davis, California, make
    sure you take a spin out to Lake Berryessa.

    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=Davis,+CA&ll=38.545,-121.739444&spn=0.676668,1.724854

    "Chris Wiggins" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:2006020423080816807-cwiggins@maccom...

    Quoted message said:


    I'm going to be taking a couple weeks off from work soon (in minneapolis)
    to travel somewhere warm for some training. Any suggestions for the best
    towns in the US I should consider for this? I am leaning towards temecula,
    ca (home of Floyd Landis) but am wide open for suggestions. Here's what
    I'm after:

    .. needs to have decent temperatures this time of year (near 70 at
    minimum)
    .. needs to have a pleasant, comfortable place to stay with a fitness room
    & high speed internet
    .. needs to have easy access to great cycling roads and good climbing w/o
    much in-city riding necessary to get to them

    As I said I'm inclined towards california but I could be talked into other
    suggestions. Arizona maybe? Other thoughts?

  13. http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=Davis,+CA&ll=38.549776,-121.979141&spn=0.334016,0.856934

    "Joe King" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    After you come to your senses and decide to go to Davis, California, make
    sure you take a spin out to Lake Berryessa.

    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=Davis,+CA&ll=38.545,-121.739444&spn=0.676668,1.724854

    "Chris Wiggins" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:2006020423080816807-cwiggins@maccom...

    Quoted message said:


    I'm going to be taking a couple weeks off from work soon (in
    minneapolis) to travel somewhere warm for some training. Any suggestions
    for the best towns in the US I should consider for this? I am leaning
    towards temecula, ca (home of Floyd Landis) but am wide open for
    suggestions. Here's what I'm after:

    .. needs to have decent temperatures this time of year (near 70 at
    minimum)
    .. needs to have a pleasant, comfortable place to stay with a fitness
    room & high speed internet
    .. needs to have easy access to great cycling roads and good climbing w/o
    much in-city riding necessary to get to them

    As I said I'm inclined towards california but I could be talked into
    other suggestions. Arizona maybe? Other thoughts?

  14. Weather forecast for Davis, California...

    http://www.weather.com/weather/monthly/USCA0284?from=36hr_topnav_undeclared

  15. Rocklin, California (not too far from Davis, California)

    http://www.athleticamps.com/cycling/training_camps/6_day/

  16. Okay, it's settled, you're going to Rocklin, California.

    http://www.athleticamps.com/cycling/about_us/staff_and_contributors/#EH

  17. http://www.athleticamps.com/cycling/training_camps/calendar_2006/

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.