Australia and New Zealand · Public discussion

Best way to report bad driver

Started by Sir Lex · · Last activity · 11 posts · 734 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Australia and New Zealand
Published
4 July 2006
Last activity
5 July 2006
Original author
Sir Lex
Posts
11
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
734
Views / 30 days
7

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–11 of 11
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi All,

    Some time ago there was an article on this newsgroup outlining the
    best way to report bad driving to the police. It involved taking notes,
    which were given a special name but I can't for the life of me remember
    what they were called. Then calling the police, reporting the incident,
    telling them that you have made said notes and are prepared to take the
    matter to court, at which point the police pretty much have to take you
    seriously.

    I've been googling for this post but have not had any luck. Did
    anyone happen to make a copy of it, or remember what the subject line of
    the post was? If so could you post it here or let me know? :-)

    I'm asking as last night driving home I had a moron overtake me in a
    dedicated right turn lane on a country road, who then drove over a
    painted traffic island, which caused stones to be thrown at my car. I
    now have a new chip in my windscreen. He couldn't wait 10 seconds to
    legally overtake me on the big long straight that was just ahead.

    So I'll be taking this matter up with the company that the vehicle
    belonged to first. If they don't take me seriously or give me any flak,
    I'll be reporting it to the police too.

    TIA,
    SL.

    --

    SL.

    Take back the web. www.Getfirefox.com

    http://www.firefoxflicks.com/flick/?id=19542

    Take back your inbox. www.Getthunderbird.com

  2. Sir Lex said:

    best way to report bad driving to the police. It involved taking notes,
    which were given a special name but I can't for the life of me remember
    what they were called.

    Contemporaneous notes. Meaning notes taken at the time, or as close to
    the time as possible.

    --
    My Usenet From: address now expires after two weeks. If you email me, and
    the mail bounces, try changing the bit before the "@ to usenet".

  3. Sir Lex said:

    So I'll be taking this matter up with the company that the vehicle
    belonged to first. If they don't take me seriously or give me any flak,
    I'll be reporting it to the police too.

    Report it to the police anyway. You may be lucky, given he's obviously a
    mental defect, the police may know him already.

    --
    ..dt

  4. quote='dtmeister'Sir Lex said:

    So I'll be taking this matter up with the company that the vehicle
    belonged to first. If they don't take me seriously or give me any flak,
    I'll be reporting it to the police too.

    Report it to the police anyway. You may be lucky, given he's obviously a
    mental defect, the police may know him already.
    [/QUOTE]
    Yep, I'd report it to the police as well. The police are more likely to be interested because there's actual property damage, so they've got something to go on. Even with cars (shock, horror) police aren't particularly interested in reports of bad driving as it more often than not results in he said / she said case which is no case at all.
    --
    Cheers
    Euan

  5. Sir Lex said:

    Hi All,

    Some time ago there was an article on this newsgroup outlining the
    best way to report bad driving to the police. It involved taking notes,
    which were given a special name but I can't for the life of me remember
    what they were called. Then calling the police, reporting the incident,
    telling them that you have made said notes and are prepared to take the
    matter to court, at which point the police pretty much have to take you
    seriously.

    Have a gander at this article from MassBUG, hope it helps. 😉

    Bike Tips: Reporting traffic incidents to police
    http://www.massbug.org.au/twiki/pub/MASSBUG/WebHome/Bike_Tipsreportingtopolice.pdf

  6. quote='dtmeister'Sir Lex said:

    So I'll be taking this matter up with the company that the vehicle
    belonged to first. If they don't take me seriously or give me any flak,
    I'll be reporting it to the police too.

    Report it to the police anyway. You may be lucky, given he's obviously a
    mental defect, the police may know him already.

    --
    ..dt[/QUOTE]

    or lives in Croydon - Ringwood area, rather than a "mental defect" per se

  7. warrwych said:

    or lives in Croydon - Ringwood area, rather than a "mental defect" per se

    Opps, lets replace that last link with this:
    http://www.idiotdriver.com.au/

  8. cfsmtb said:

    Opps, lets replace that last link with this:
    http://www.idiotdriver.com.au/

    I wish I hadn't read thru that link cfsmtb - I see this stuff every single day on Maroondah H'way and particularly Springvale Rd.... sigh... it's all the same kinda stuff - tailgating, failing to indicate (& look) when changing lanes or turning, failing to give way, failing to allow enough room when changing lanes, erratic driving etc etc etc
    🙁 😠 🙁

  9. warrwych said:

    I wish I hadn't read thru that link cfsmtb - I see this stuff every single day on Maroondah H'way and particularly Springvale Rd.... sigh... it's all the same kinda stuff - tailgating, failing to indicate (& look) when changing lanes or turning, failing to give way, failing to allow enough room when changing lanes, erratic driving etc etc etc
    🙁 😠 🙁

    A common observation while out on the bike - is watching road behaviour. Not about how vehicles are interacting with me, but how badly drivers react to each other. I've lost count of the times I've either jumped a kerb, ducked between parked cars and waited, or even taken off up a side street simply to avoid nearby potential altercations. Motorists have a strong tendency to dislike their own kind, let alone other "distractions". 🙁

  10. cfsmtb said:

    A common observation while out on the bike - is watching road behaviour. Not about how vehicles are interacting with me, but how badly drivers react to each other. I've lost count of the times I've either jumped a kerb, ducked between parked cars and waited, or even taken off up a side street simply to avoid nearby potential altercations. Motorists have a strong tendency to dislike their own kind, let alone other "distractions". 🙁

    yup, i'd have to agree. Some people drive like they are playing Gotham City Racer etc on Xbox/ps2/pc, and get upset when they dont score bonus points or win. Makes me feel like I am turning into a grumpy middleaged woman, rolling my eyes, tut tutting and giving the people the "you're a fecking idiot, with your weeties box licence" look hehe

  11. warrwych said:


    yup, i'd have to agree. Some people drive like they are playing Gotham
    City Racer etc on Xbox/ps2/pc, and get upset when they dont score bonus
    points or win. Makes me feel like I am turning into a grumpy middleaged
    woman, rolling my eyes, tut tutting and giving the people the "you're a
    fecking idiot, with your weeties box licence" look hehe

    Have you watched "Grumpy Old Women" on the ABC on Tueday nights at
    8:00pm? It's classic. "Grumpy old men" played a few months ago and
    included people like Sir Bob Geldof, and unfortunately Jeremy Clarkson
    of Top Gear fame.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grumpy_Old_Women

    --
    ..dt

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.