best ways to decrease weight

i have a specialized hard rock mt bike from way back in 1995, and would
like to make some inexpensive changes to trim down its rock-like
weight. what would give me the most bang for the buck? i do plan on
switching to slicks for city (and trainer) use. as far as what
inexpensive means ... i'm trying to do all this for about $100-150
(probably mostly used components).

i know i can spend a lot on titanium nuts and such, but i'm guessing i
can do a lot for a little considering how heavy this thing is starting
out at ...

thanks!

On 30 Aug 2005 21:54:45 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

>i have a specialized hard rock mt bike from way back in 1995, and would
>like to make some inexpensive changes to trim down its rock-like
>weight. what would give me the most bang for the buck? i do plan on
>switching to slicks for city (and trainer) use. as far as what
>inexpensive means ... i'm trying to do all this for about $100-150
>(probably mostly used components).
>
>i know i can spend a lot on titanium nuts and such, but i'm guessing i
>can do a lot for a little considering how heavy this thing is starting
>out at ...

Here's the problem, it got to be "heavy" by an accumulation of many parts, each
of which weighs just a bit more than it might. Start taking parts off and
you'll see what I mean. Pull the wheels and what's left will feel pretty light.
Heft each wheel and it's not so heavy either. Except maybe the back with that
clump of steel cogs on the hub. Your $150 might be enough to buy a lighter one
of those. The best way to take five pounds off that bike is to find 80 places to
remove an ounce, because no one component, even the frame, is going to be a
whole pound overweight.

OTOH, I doubt it really is heavy, a modern cross country race bike for a full
size guy comes in around 25 pounds. Go weigh this thing, if it's under 30 it
ain't heavy.

If you really want to do something with this bike, get a better saddle,
seatpost, bars, and bar-ends so that it fits perfectly and you'll have these
cool parts you like that can go on yoiur future lightweight bike and the better
fit and comfort will help more than downweighting.

Ron

[email protected] wrote:
> i have a specialized hard rock mt bike from way back in 1995, and would
> like to make some inexpensive changes to trim down its rock-like
> weight. what would give me the most bang for the buck? i do plan on
> switching to slicks for city (and trainer) use. as far as what
> inexpensive means ... i'm trying to do all this for about $100-150
> (probably mostly used components).
>
> i know i can spend a lot on titanium nuts and such, but i'm guessing i
> can do a lot for a little considering how heavy this thing is starting
> out at ...
>
> thanks!

Tires and tubes but weight off you is much more important than weight
off the bicycle. You can spend thousands to decrease it 4-5 pounds or
lose weight your self. I just lost .5bw(a bw=20 pounds), now it's like
my bicycle weighs 9 pounds!!!

Qui si parla Campagnolo said:
[email protected] wrote:
> i have a specialized hard rock mt bike from way back in 1995, and would
> like to make some inexpensive changes to trim down its rock-like
> weight. what would give me the most bang for the buck? i do plan on
> switching to slicks for city (and trainer) use. as far as what
> inexpensive means ... i'm trying to do all this for about $100-150
> (probably mostly used components).
>
> i know i can spend a lot on titanium nuts and such, but i'm guessing i
> can do a lot for a little considering how heavy this thing is starting
> out at ...
>
> thanks!

Tires and tubes but weight off you is much more important than weight
off the bicycle. You can spend thousands to decrease it 4-5 pounds or
lose weight your self. I just lost .5bw(a bw=20 pounds), now it's like
my bicycle weighs 9 pounds!!!

Of course your assuming the OP is like the rest of us and could drop ten pounds of fat off with no problem. Surprisingly enough there are still a few people left in North America that are neither anorexic nor overweight.

> <snip> some inexpensive changes to trim down
> its rock-like weight. what would give me the
> most bang for the buck? <snip> as far as what
> inexpensive means ... i'm trying to do all this
> for about $100-150

A big bowl of raisin bran each morning. It has reduced my bike+rider
weight by about 250g or so for a mere couple of dollars, which is about
100g/$--better than any Ti or carbon accesories.

;-)

[email protected] wrote:
> i have a specialized hard rock mt bike from way back in 1995, and would
> like to make some inexpensive changes to trim down its rock-like
> weight. what would give me the most bang for the buck? i do plan on
> switching to slicks for city (and trainer) use. as far as what
> inexpensive means ... i'm trying to do all this for about $100-150
> (probably mostly used components).
>
> i know i can spend a lot on titanium nuts and such, but i'm guessing i
> can do a lot for a little considering how heavy this thing is starting
> out at ...

TBH it's hardly worth playing weight-saving games with a ten year old
MTB, you'd be better off putting it towards a newer bike. The best way
to save weight is on the frame and it's certainly not worth swapping
everything to a new frame (which will run to way more than $150).

Likewise, all the really lightweight gear stuff these days will be 9sp
and therefore not compatible with your shifters. Replacing the
drivetrain will cost you a damn sight more than $150.

A lightweight set of wheels would help a lot, but then if you plan on
using it as an urban or offroad bike you want durability on the wheels.
Plus even a decent lightweight set of wheels will cost more than $150.

Bottom line is that saving weight is a hobby for those with money to
burn.

As I see it, you've got two options. One is to look around and
steadily upgrade any and all bits of the bike as you find secondhand
stuff. Two is to splash out plenty on some decent-quality lightweight
slicks and spend the rest of your money on CDs or something. The Foo
Fighters are quite good to stomp along to.

[email protected] wrote:
> i have a specialized hard rock mt bike from way back in 1995, and would
> like to make some inexpensive changes to trim down its rock-like
> weight. what would give me the most bang for the buck?

Convert it to a single speed. Should cost little or nothing, and will
definitely lighten that sucker up.

-Vee

[email protected] wrote:
> i have a specialized hard rock mt bike from way back in 1995, and would
> like to make some inexpensive changes to trim down its rock-like
> weight. what would give me the most bang for the buck? i do plan on
> switching to slicks for city (and trainer) use. as far as what
> inexpensive means ... i'm trying to do all this for about $100-150
> (probably mostly used components).
>
> i know i can spend a lot on titanium nuts and such, but i'm guessing i
> can do a lot for a little considering how heavy this thing is starting
> out at ...

I used a newer HardRock for general road riding for nearly a year and
my advice is... don't worry about the weight too much. The cost is just
not worth it; you'd need to upgrade everything (including the
frame!)... might as well buy a new one.

There are some things you can do to make it more road-worthy though,
like replacing the suspension fork with a Tange steel one (only $45),
use light narrow slicks (1.25" or so), a closer ratio cluster, and
install some long barends with a long low stem to give you a better
position. Total cost should be under $150, and incidentally you *will*
lose about 5 lbs of weight!

BTW I'm less than 2% faster on my nice "new" Ti bike with Dura -ace
compared to my Hardrock... so I don't think you'll be giving up much
speed.

thanks for all the responses ... and very interesting to see the
variety of opinions. to give you a little more background, i'm
reasonably experienced with bikes ... but mostly fixed gear converted
road bikes, not big clunky mountain bikes. i have a fixed gear built
on an old steel bianchi frame ... $200 total weighing in at 19 pounds
.... so those of you who said it can't be done, think again.

my question though is for someone who i've determined would do better
with a geared mountain-type bike for urban "workout" riding. the
person who said not everyone can lose so much weight was very astute
.... this is for a small asian female, so the point is to reduce the
bikes weight so she can carry it upstairs, and so the thing isn't out
of proportion to her size.

i think from reading the suggestions, these are the best tips i've
combined:

- remove **** (water cage, etc) ... same kind of thing i did on my
fixie, which has one brake ... although she (novice) will need both
- slicks and possibly new wheels
- lighter cogs
- i already cut the bars down to the right width, so that's some weight
there
- lighter seat

thanks again

On 31 Aug 2005 18:20:55 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

>road bikes, not big clunky mountain bikes. i have a fixed gear built
>on an old steel bianchi frame ... $200 total weighing in at 19 pounds
>... so those of you who said it can't be done, think again.

Those who said what couldn't be done? 19 pounds is pretty darn hefty for a
stripped down road fixie.

Jasper

[email protected] wrote:
> i have a specialized hard rock mt bike from way back in 1995, and would
> like to make some inexpensive changes to trim down its rock-like
> weight. what would give me the most bang for the buck? i do plan on
> switching to slicks for city (and trainer) use. as far as what
> inexpensive means ... i'm trying to do all this for about $100-150
> (probably mostly used components).
>
> i know i can spend a lot on titanium nuts and such, but i'm guessing i
> can do a lot for a little considering how heavy this thing is starting
> out at ...

The easiest, and cheapest way would be to trash it and buy something
else off of eBay. Check around, I've seen some really good deals
recently (and a lot of ****).

That said, on these bikes you can usually drop some weight quick with
new handlebars, stem, seatpost and seat. Beyond that, you're looking at
new wheels.

pretty darn hefty? 19 pounds feels light enough for the $200 i spent,
and with my big gigantic muscles. my point is that saying it can't be
done is a tad elitist. as with all things, when asked a question, you
have to find out what the person asking it really wants. for $200, you
can get either a new huffy, or a used, 25-pound clunker road bike. or,
you can get a clean, smooth running 19-pound fixed gear.

sure you can't have a lighter-than-air space age carbon fiber bike for
$200, but those of you who are really into biking should realize that
not everyone can spend the kind of cash that you do to achieve
perfection. the elitist thing is to say that you can't do anything
useful to a 30-pound mountain bike with $200 to make it lighter. no
you can't make it a 20-pound competition bike, but you definitely can
do something useful with it.

imho

On 1 Sep 2005 07:19:18 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

>pretty darn hefty? 19 pounds feels light enough for the $200 i spent,
>and with my big gigantic muscles. my point is that saying it can't be
>done is a tad elitist. as with all things, when asked a question, you
>have to find out what the person asking it really wants. for $200, you
>can get either a new huffy, or a used, 25-pound clunker road bike. or,
>you can get a clean, smooth running 19-pound fixed gear.
>
>sure you can't have a lighter-than-air space age carbon fiber bike for
>$200, but those of you who are really into biking should realize that
>not everyone can spend the kind of cash that you do to achieve
>perfection. the elitist thing is to say that you can't do anything
>useful to a 30-pound mountain bike with $200 to make it lighter. no
>you can't make it a 20-pound competition bike, but you definitely can
>do something useful with it.

You didn't say $200, you said $100-150. But even with $200, you're simply
not going to be able to do very much about the weight. If you wanted to
hear "just convert it to a fixed gear/single speed, *that*'ll shed some
weight", which is true, you should have asked the question differently.
$100-150 buys about half a drivetrain worth of Deore, but that's not going
to get the weight down in any significant fashion. Unless you tell us
*more* about *exactly* what's on the bike, nobody's going to be able to
offer more than generalities. But the thing is, $100-150 isn't enough to
replace more than a few components, and unless there are some particular
components that are more heavier than others (say, the wheels turn out to
be made with cast-iron rims), there's not much point in upgrading just a
few components.

Anybody who knows enough about bikes to scrounge around in second hand
parts bins for ultracheap gear and/or to want a single-speed/fixie
conversion wouldn't be asking the question you did, unless he were setting
out to prove a point about the unhelpfulness of rbt.

In other words, I call troll.

Jasper

On 31-Aug-2005, "wle" <[email protected]> wrote:

> don;t carry any water. 2 lbs saved..

Die from heat stroke - even more weight saved!

--
Sock Puppet

Sock Puppet better get his hand out of his mouth.

news:[email protected]...

Sock Puppet wrote:
> On 31-Aug-2005, "wle" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> don;t carry any water. 2 lbs saved..

> Die from heat stroke - even more weight saved!

Not until decomposition commences.

{disclosure}

BS

On 3-Sep-2005, "Doug Huffman" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Sock Puppet better get his hand out of his mouth.

huffman is real life model for Homer Simpson!

--
Sock Puppet

"Bill Sornson" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Sock Puppet wrote:
>> On 31-Aug-2005, "wle" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>> don;t carry any water. 2 lbs saved..

>> Die from heat stroke - even more weight saved!

>Not until decomposition commences.
>
>{disclosure}

What, doesn't the weight of worms count?

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $795 ti frame

Mark Hickey wrote:
> "Bill Sornson" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Sock Puppet wrote:

>>> Die from heat stroke - even more weight saved!

>> Not until decomposition commences.
>>
>> {disclosure}

> What, doesn't the weight of worms count?

Shake 'em off before clipping in.