Best ways to promote cycling

SKYZ

Aug 11, 2005
Give your thoughts and ideas to promote cycling. I got mine!!!!!

skyzbikes.com

SKYZ said:
Give your thoughts and ideas to promote cycling. I got mine!!!!!

skyzbikes.com

Big names involved
Money
Good advertising
More money
Big money
Bigger Money
and finally MONEY!

Be good people. When cycling, be friendly and helpful to other cyclists met along the way, at bike shops, wherever.

Lose the attitude @ posers, hairy legs, lack of knowledge.

That will help encourage a lot of people to get in to the sport.

Encourage your bike shop, or club to host open group rides, specifically geared toward beginning riders (10-15 miles at slower speeds).

Money is more often the down fall of a sport rather than what promotes it. Professionals go from the love of the sport to the love of money and do what ever it takes to be the best, hence illegal drugs. Look at any professional sport in the U.S. right now and it shows. I also wasn't aware you must shave your legs to promote the sport. So now I shave my legs, but I've a hairy butt, oh well, off it comes. Wait, what about my back, and if I shave my back, what about my chest. Woops, I forgot about Hairy Harry! Damn, now I'm shaving so much I don't have any time left to ride, but my legs look good!

Just be the best human being you can be with the public, whether it's a fellow cyclist, motorist, pedestrian, equiestrian, anyone, anybody. Bring the sport to kids, adults and even seniors. The term (POWER OF THE PEOPLE) is what will promote cycling, the more the people, the more the power. You don't have to shave your legs nor does it matter what kind of bike you ride, just ride.

Later!

Skyz,
Anymore marketing advice will cost you an SR5000 w/full Campy Carbon Record along w/Campy Carbon Hyperon wheels, you can pick the tires.
Hey, that in itself is great marketing for Skyz. I ride 13,000 + a year on my FELT-F10R and will gladly give half of those miles to a free SR5000 as descibed above.

Give the illusion that if you go cycling,you will meet tons of great looking harbody females in tight Lycra....that'll do it!

sex. get enough girls interested in the sport or the riders and the new riders will follow.

its like bars - the only thing that matters is how many girls are in there.

robkit said:
sex. get enough girls interested in the sport or the riders and the new riders will follow.

its like bars - the only thing that matters is how many girls are in there.
On the surface that sounds good, but the most popular sports, or at very least most commercially sucessful sports, in the USA are football, baseball, and men's basketball and most of the watchers are men. For sure most men (and women) who watch these sports never pick up a ball, but how does SKYZ want to promote cycling - as a sport to be involved in or a sport that has fans?

Eden said:
On the surface that sounds good, but the most popular sports, or at very least most commercially sucessful sports, in the USA are football, baseball, and men's basketball and most of the watchers are men. For sure most men (and women) who watch these sports never pick up a ball, but how does SKYZ want to promote cycling - as a sport to be involved in or a sport that has fans?
I believe most of the fans actually did play once during their younger years and that is why they connect. I, for instance never played football, I understand the game thoroughly but I do not follow it at all. I have no connecton whatsoever with the game.

Don't you think that a big event in North America would get the people more enthousiastic about the sport? By sport, I'm not talking about riding on a sunday afternoon. I'm talking about getting the youngters to get into competitive racing. What do you think?

Its been done....unfortunately has not worked. Many years ago we used to have a Classic...Tour of.......??? Can't remember the sponsor name. (Anybody remember?).It petered out.
Most of the sports that have had long term success have started from humble beginnings. (Yes, Football , baseball and even the IronMan)and took years to evolve.
But I don't know...perhaps if the purse is high enough it will encourage elite riders to come. But who is going to take the financial risk to try it again after our history of failures? Besides , if for example , a Tom Boonen or a Alessandro Pettachi (i.e. Elite Cyclists) decided to participate...who in the USA besides cyclist enthusiasts like us would care or know who they are? It is a big hurdle the promoter would have to overcome.

To see how difficult it is take a look at OLN TV. They used to televised "Vuelta de España" and the Gyro. Go check if they are televising them now. In a couple of years you won't even see the Tour de France!! Unless an American dominates again!

Induray said:
To see how difficult it is take a look at OLN TV. They used to televised "Vuelta de España" and the Gyro. Go check if they are televising them now. In a couple of years you won't even see the Tour de France!! Unless an American dominates again!

Money is the key and I had hoped that Armstrong and his universal appeal as cancer survivor would push American cycling to a new high,if he were to promote it more as a promoter rather than a perticipant.
If he becomes a fallen angel ,so to speak, because of doping scandals...well there goes the Golden egg Goose.

jhuskey said:
Money is the key and I had hoped that Armstrong and his universal appeal as cancer survivor would push American cycling to a new high,if he were to promote it more as a promoter rather than a perticipant.
If he becomes a fallen angel ,so to speak, because of doping scandals...well there goes the Golden egg Goose.
I agree that LA might have the general appeal to attract promoters to start day races across the USA and Mini-Tours. I don't think the dope scandal will turn out into something devastating to his past career. Although I believe a prevailing perceived or real drug abuse throughout the Grand Tours will diminish efforts in attracting the sport to US mainstream media. We have already too much drug usage and acussation of drug usage throughout our mainstream sport venues. We are getting "EPO/Steroid" burn out!
We'll see how much effort LA and Discovery team, plus the lesser known American racing teams play it out in the near future.

Just keep on riding

I believe that the sports is to expensive and that parents are not interested in investing thousands of $$. Baseball and basketball are cheaper. A good foundation for any sports is getting the kids in the sports. BUT HOW!