UK and Europe · Public discussion

Bicycle Dynamo (sorry a little OT)

Started by Crash Bang Wall · · Last activity · 28 posts · 2,328 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
16 December 2003
Last activity
18 December 2003
Original author
Crash Bang Wall
Posts
28
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,328
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 28
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I'm looking for a source of bike dynamos, (I require about ten initially) however, I want the old
    fashioned type that reside in the hub of a bikes front wheel.

    Are these still available or have they been replaced by the type that run on the back wheel?

    An idea of cost would be nice too!

    Also can anyone advise me as to the output of these dynamo's and if they are more or less efficient
    than the type that run on the back wheel?

    Cheers all tox

  2. On 16/12/2003 "Crash Bang Wallop" opined:-

    Quoted message said:

    Are these still available or have they been replaced by the type that run on the back wheel?

    An idea of cost would be nice too!

    Also can anyone advise me as to the output of these dynamo's and if they are more or less
    efficient than the type that run on the back wheel?

    Sturmy-Archer was the company which made the hub mounted type. The output (at a guess) was about
    2watts peak. It really depends how you mean by efficient....

    The hub type were more efficient and more reliable when generating, but they still offered a tiny
    amount of resistance when not generating. The friction wheel type tended to slip a little, the head
    and bearings wear out quickly cause more drag than the hub type when in use. When not in use they
    caused no drag.

    --
    Regards, Harry (M1BYT)...

    Remove the 'NOSPAM' in my email address to reply.

    Free Amateur Radio Courses:- ukradioamateur.orgukradioamateur.org

  3. Crash Bang Wallop said:


    I'm looking for a source of bike dynamos, (I require about ten initially) however, I want the old
    fashioned type that reside in the hub of a bikes front wheel.

    Are these still available or have they been replaced by the type that run on the back wheel?

    These are very much available and far from old fashioned these days.

    Quoted message said:

    An idea of cost would be nice too!

    There are two readily available brands in the UK (I think I noticed a third in some catalogue last
    week and some places sell old SA stuff). The Shimano Nexus hub dynamo is around the £50 mark. The
    Schmidt Nabendynamo (SON) is around £110.

    sjscycles.comvIndex.htm

    stock both makes.

    Quoted message said:

    Also can anyone advise me as to the output of these dynamo's and if they are more or less
    efficient than the type that run on the back wheel?

    Both of the above are much more efficient than bottle dynamos. The latter of the two is more
    efficient than the first though its big advantage over the former is that it presents much less drag
    when it isn't turned on---this may not be a significant advantage for you since I would guess you
    don't want them for cycling.

    They are designed to deliver 3W at 6V when in a standard bike wheel. There are versions for smaller
    wheels (which rotate faster at a given road speed.) You may need to do a little research to work out
    whether they suit your needs.

    Colin
    --

  4. Crash Bang Wallop said:

    I'm looking for a source of bike dynamos, (I require about ten initiall=


    y)

    Quoted message said:

    however, I want the old fashioned type that reside in the hub of a bike=


    s

    Quoted message said:

    front wheel.
    =20
    Are these still available or have they been replaced by the type that r=


    un on

    Quoted message said:

    the back wheel?

    Dynohubs are still available, and the only reason that "bottle dynamos"=20 own more of the market is
    they're a lot cheaper and don't need wheel=20 building to mount. The Top Banana dynohub is the
    Schmidt SON, very good, but rather=20 expensive (=A3110). Shimano do one called the Nexus, which is
    almost as =

    good but costs a lot less (ca. =A350 IIRC).

    Quoted message said:

    Also can anyone advise me as to the output of these dynamo's and if the=


    y are

    Quoted message said:

    more or less efficient than the type that run on the back wheel?

    There's some spiel on the SON at=20 kinetics.org.ukson hub dynamo.shtml and Ben,
    the chap=20 that runs the Kinetics shop, Knows His Stuff and sells B&M bottle=20 dynamos too. He'd
    probably be happy to have a blether about the=20 technical details (which he will know far better
    than me!).

    Pete. --=20 Peter Clinch University of Dundee Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Medical Physics,
    Ninewells Hospital Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK net [email hidden]
    dundee.ac.uk~pjclinch

  5. Crash Bang Wallop said:

    I'm looking for a source of bike dynamos, (I require about ten initially) however, I want the old
    fashioned type that reside in the hub of a bikes front wheel.

    Are these still available or have they been replaced by the type that run on the back wheel?

    An idea of cost would be nice too!

    Also can anyone advise me as to the output of these dynamo's and if they are more or less
    efficient than the type that run on the back wheel?

    Plenty still available. Shimano and Schmidt are popular. You can get the former for about £25
    upwards. The latter is more expensive. All you need to know about output is at myra-myra-
    simon.com/bike/dynotest.html

    Tony

  6. "Crash Bang Wallop" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    I'm looking for a source of bike dynamos, (I require about ten initially) however, I want the old
    fashioned type that reside in the hub of a bikes front wheel.

    Are these still available or have they been replaced by the type that run


    on

    Quoted message said:

    the back wheel?

    An idea of cost would be nice too!

    Also can anyone advise me as to the output of these dynamo's and if they


    are

    Quoted message said:

    more or less efficient than the type that run on the back wheel?

    Cheers all tox

    These links should help:

    audax.uk.netdyno.htm audax.uk.netgens.htm

    Some of the links out of these pages no longer work.
    ___
    Michael MacClancy

  7. Harry Bloomfield said:

    The hub type were more efficient and more reliable when generating, but they still offered a tiny
    amount of resistance when not generating. The friction wheel type tended to slip a little, the
    head and bearings wear out quickly cause more drag than the hub type when in use. When not in use
    they caused no drag.

    The best hub dynamos have a drag equivalent to climbing a 1 in 5000 slope (i.e 1ft rise per mile).
    For most of us that is effectively no drag.

    Tony

  8. Crash Bang Wallop said:

    I'm looking for a source of bike dynamos, (I require about ten initially) however, I want the old
    fashioned type that reside in the hub of a bikes front wheel.

    I can't believe that no one's asked why you need ten and what plans you have for them. ;-)

    The cross posting suggests some sort of unconventional use. Do tell.

    Tim
    --
    Remove the obvious to reply by email.

  9. "Tim Downie" wrote on 16/12/2003 :-

    Quoted message said:
    Crash Bang Wallop said:

    I'm looking for a source of bike dynamos, (I require about ten initially) however, I want the old
    fashioned type that reside in the hub of a bikes front wheel.

    I can't believe that no one's asked why you need ten and what plans you have for them. ;-)

    The cross posting suggests some sort of unconventional use. Do tell.

    Tim

    Well, I too would like to know, but didn't like to ask 😄

    --
    Regards, Harry (M1BYT)...

    Remove the 'NOSPAM' in my email address to reply.

    Free Amateur Radio Courses:- ukradioamateur.orgukradioamateur.org

  10. "Tim Downie" <[email hidden]>typed

    Quoted message said:
    Crash Bang Wallop said:

    I'm looking for a source of bike dynamos, (I require about ten initially) however, I want the
    old fashioned type that reside in the hub of a bikes front wheel.

    Quoted message said:

    I can't believe that no one's asked why you need ten and what plans you have for them. ;-)

    Quoted message said:

    The cross posting suggests some sort of unconventional use. Do tell.

    Maybe the OP's email address gives a clue...

    --
    Helen D. Vecht: [email hidden] Edgware.

  11. "Tony Raven" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Plenty still available. Shimano and Schmidt are popular. You can get the former for about £25
    upwards. The latter is more expensive. All you need to know about output is at myra-myra-
    simon.com/bike/dynotest.html

    Tony

    Excellent link Tony, just what I was looking for.

    However, I'm somewhat surprised at the cost of these things. Quite frankly, in these days of mass
    production, I'd have expected them to cost peanuts, especially when you can go to somewhere such as
    Stirling House and buy a fifteen speed bike for under £40! Try tinyurl.comzg2c

    Thanks to everyone for such a quick and detailed response.

    Regards tox

  12. Tim Downie said:
    Crash Bang Wallop said:

    I'm looking for a source of bike dynamos, (I require about ten initially) however, I want the old
    fashioned type that reside in the hub of a bikes front wheel.

    I can't believe that no one's asked why you need ten and what plans you have for them. ;-)

    The cross posting suggests some sort of unconventional use. Do tell.

    Maybe Mr Wallop is the fantastic bloke I once saw in Kilburn, N London, with a massive sound and
    light system on his bike. I didn't notice how many front wheels the machine had because I was
    dazzled by his space age track-style silver helmet and visor. Respec'!!

    ~PB

  13. "Tim Downie" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    The cross posting suggests some sort of unconventional use. Do tell.

    Hi Tim, I'm sorry to say, I can't say right now as posting details on the Internet would almost
    certainly compromise what I have in mind.

    Suffice to say, if my idea is a non-runner, I'll post back and let you know what it's all about.

    Sorry for the cross posting but as someone who follows uk.r.a. constantly, I've learned there are
    some extremely knowledgeable people, on a whole raft of subjects, who reside there and as the forum
    would suggest, particularly electronics.

    HTH Regards tox

  14. Crash Bang Wallop said:


    However, I'm somewhat surprised at the cost of these things. Quite frankly, in these days of mass
    production, I'd have expected them to cost peanuts, especially when you can go to somewhere such
    as Stirling House and buy a fifteen speed bike for under £40! Try tinyurl.comzg2c

    Assuming you are coming from ura, not urc, that is equivalent to a cyclist telling you you can buy a
    radio for less than a fiver from Sterling House so why do yours cost so much? If you want a cheap
    rim dynamo they can be had for about £4 but the hub ones tend to be used only by enthusiasts who are
    generally picky about performance, reliability, weight, drag etc so sell in limited quantities to
    discerning users. Hence the price.

    Tony

  15. Crash Bang Wallop said:

    However, I'm somewhat surprised at the cost of these things. Quite fran=


    kly,

    Quoted message said:

    in these days of mass production, I'd have expected them to cost peanut=


    s,

    Quoted message said:

    especially when you can go to somewhere such as Stirling House and buy =


    a

    Quoted message said:

    fifteen speed bike for under =A340!

    "Anything free is likely to be worth what you paid for it"[1]. Anything =

    which costs next to nothing will be about as good a lot of the time, but =

    will cost you some money into the bargain, and often more time as it=20 takes you a bit longer to
    give up on it and direct it to a well deserved =

    place in the nearest skip.

    Good dynamos are compact, reliable, efficient and precision engineered=20 from quality components,
    the sort of bikes one gets at Sterling House,=20 AFAICT, aren't.

    There just isn't any point in making cheap and nasty hub dynamos, when=20 the wheel building costs
    will have to be factored in above the base=20 costs of the unit.

    Pete.

    [1] fortunately many good pieces of software are notable exceptions --=20 Peter Clinch University of
    Dundee Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Medical Physics, Ninewells Hospital Fax 44 1382 640177
    Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK net [email hidden] dundee.ac.uk~pjclinch

  16. "Harry Bloomfield" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Well, I too would like to know, but didn't like to ask 😄

    ;-)

    BTW, did you see Lidl are doing those soldering irons for just £2.99!
    lidl.co.ukc.o.oow.20031215.p.Soldering Gun

    Only in Wales though :-(

    Best Wishes tox

  17. Crash Bang Wallop said:

    "Tim Downie" <[email hidden]> wrote in message -"]news:[email hidden]-
    berlin.de...

    Quoted message said:


    The cross posting suggests some sort of unconventional use. Do tell.

    Hi Tim, I'm sorry to say, I can't say right now as posting details on the Internet would almost
    certainly compromise what I have in mind.

    Do I smell a patent in the offing?

    Quoted message said:

    Suffice to say, if my idea is a non-runner, I'll post back and let you know what it's all about.

    Does this mean that if it's a runner we'll never hear from you again or just until you've got the
    patent sorted out?

    Quoted message said:

    Sorry for the cross posting but as someone who follows uk.r.a. constantly, I've learned there are
    some extremely knowledgeable people, on a whole raft of subjects, who reside there and as the
    forum would suggest, particularly electronics.

    Oh, don't apologise, you might even have considered uk.d-i-y. Experts on just about every known
    subject there.

    Just out of curiosity, are these ten dynamos going to be fitted to a single device or ten different
    ones? (If you are considering patenting, I won't be offended if you prefer not to answer).

    Cheers.

    Tim

    --
    Remove the obvious to reply by email.

  18. "Helen Deborah Vecht" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Maybe the OP's email address gives a clue...

    ROTFL, yep, it's time I changed it, Helen...watch this space ;-)

    Regards tox

  19. Crash Bang Wallop said:


    Hi Tim, I'm sorry to say, I can't say right now as posting details on the Internet would almost
    certainly compromise what I have in mind.

    He's obviously building the bicycle racing machine from Belleville Rendezvous and needs them to
    power the projector ;-)

    Tony

  20. "Tony Raven" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Assuming you are coming from ura, not urc, that is equivalent to a cyclist telling you you can buy
    a radio for less than a fiver from Sterling House


    so

    Quoted message said:

    why do yours cost so much? If you want a cheap rim dynamo they can be had


    for

    Quoted message said:

    about £4 but the hub ones tend to be used only by enthusiasts who are generally picky about
    performance, reliability, weight, drag etc so sell


    in

    Quoted message said:

    limited quantities to discerning users. Hence the price.

    Sorry Tony, however, it' nearly forty years since I owned a bike and then it was only to do a
    paper round!

    Eight bob a week is what I was paid IIRC and two bob of that went towards paying for the bike...eeee
    'twere 'ard in thowas days ;-)

    Regards tox

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.