Road Cycling · Public discussion

Bicycle friendly town in Florida

Started by Green Hill · · Last activity · 11 posts · 1,262 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
9 September 2003
Last activity
14 September 2003
Original author
Green Hill
Posts
11
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,262
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–11 of 11
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi,

    Im looking to relocate to the Florida western panhandle coast or Florida northeast coast, and in my
    search I'm looking for bicycle friendly towns(15,000 to 60,000 pop.) In friendly I mean a town grid
    system that is failry accomdating to bicycle traffic. Doesnt really need bike lanes, just a fairly
    tame traffic system, and a centralized grid(un sprawled town) I would like to be able to bike full
    time not just for recreation. The heat factor doesnt bother me for I reside in Tennessee,and i am
    used to humidity and heat. Is there Anybody who could at least point me in the right direction in
    what options I might have?

    Hill

    PS. I wouldnt be opposed to branching out to bordering areas like coastal alabama, missippi, and
    georgia coastal (brunswick,st. marys).

  2. Gainesville, FL gets my vote. But you really need to try to visit the places you are most
    interested in.

    "Green Hill" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi,

    Im looking to relocate to the Florida western panhandle coast or Florida northeast coast, and in
    my search I'm looking for bicycle friendly towns(15,000 to 60,000 pop.) In friendly I mean a town
    grid system that is failry accomdating to bicycle traffic. Doesnt really need bike lanes, just a
    fairly tame traffic system, and a centralized grid(un sprawled town) I would like to be able to
    bike full time not just for recreation. The heat factor doesnt bother me for I reside in
    Tennessee,and i am used to humidity and heat. Is there Anybody who could at least point me in the
    right direction in what options I might have?

    Hill

    PS. I wouldnt be opposed to branching out to bordering areas like coastal alabama, missippi, and
    georgia coastal (brunswick,st. marys).

  3. "ohberg" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Gainesville, FL gets my vote. But you really need to try to visit the places you are most
    interested in.

    Gainesville is nowhere near the panhandle, or the coast at all. I think the OP is looking for places
    like Gulf Breeze or Pensacola. It hasn't been my experience that many places here in FL are very
    bicycle friendly.

  4. LOL, I do appreciate the response though. I am looking more coastal than Gainesville.

    I do realize Florida may not be the friendliest biking state overal, but there must be areas that
    are friendlier than others. How bout coastal GA,MS,AL, have any experience in those areas? I do know
    I have to visit these areas more but I'm just trying to get a general feel, so I know what areas to
    visit, and what areas to just not bother with at all. Im trying to narrow down the possibilties.

    Thanks, Hill

    "Slider2699" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    "ohberg" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Gainesville, FL gets my vote. But you really need to try to visit the places you are most
    interested in.

    Gainesville is nowhere near the panhandle, or the coast at all. I think the OP is looking for
    places like Gulf Breeze or Pensacola. It hasn't been my experience that many places here in FL are
    very bicycle friendly.

  5. [email hidden] (Green Hill) wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    LOL, I do appreciate the response though. I am looking more coastal than Gainesville.

    I do realize Florida may not be the friendliest biking state overal, but there must be areas that
    are friendlier than others. How bout coastal GA,MS,AL, have any experience in those areas? I do
    know I have to visit these areas more but I'm just trying to get a general feel, so I know what
    areas to visit, and what areas to just not bother with at all. Im trying to narrow down the
    possibilties.

    Sounds like the Pensacola area may be what you are looking for. It isn't so touristy (is that a
    word?) but is on the Gulf. I am in Tallahassee and really love it, but I wouldn't want to rely on my
    bike to get around here.

  6. "[censored] Durbin" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    [email hidden] (Green Hill) wrote in message


    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    LOL, I do appreciate the response though. I am looking more coastal than Gainesville.

    I do realize Florida may not be the friendliest biking state overal, but there must be areas
    that are friendlier than others. How bout coastal GA,MS,AL, have any experience in those areas?
    I do know I have to visit these areas more but I'm just trying to get a general feel, so I know
    what areas to visit, and what areas to just not bother with at all. Im trying to narrow down the
    possibilties.

    Sounds like the Pensacola area may be what you are looking for. It isn't so touristy (is that a
    word?) but is on the Gulf. I am in Tallahassee and really love it, but I wouldn't want to rely on
    my bike to get around here.

    Shoot, I live in Citrus county, which is on the Gulf coast about an hour north of Clearwater, and
    bicycling here is pretty dangerous. No bike lanes, lots of busy two lanes, and not even paved
    shoulders most of time. Factor in the large retiree populations in Lincolns, the rednecks in 4x4s,
    and the kids in rice rockets, and it's an adrenaline rush par excellance. Can't wait till I move to
    Helena, Montana. :-)

  7. [censored], Ive been looking into Pensacola, and it seems more along the lines in what im looking for than
    other florida areas. I did however happen to read a few articles that talked about that it might get
    really delvolped by theis "st.joe company". Also how would you describe the west panhandle as far as
    delvoplment goes. I know areas need a certain amount of delelopment, or it seems the areas have
    avery little as far as anemities. But there is a point i draw a line between delvlopment that still
    preserves the area and delvlopment that ruins a area turning it into a condo affair where every town
    looks the same. I know this first hand living near pigeon forge/gatlinburg TN,(bad delvopment, no
    planning, major, and i do mean major traffic problems,....cough cough I cant see the mountains
    through the smog kinda deal). I figure your a local to N. Florida. If anyone would know you would
    how the coast is delvloping. Im not looking to move to Florida to change it, I wont be buying into a
    condo deal or some big planned area, most likely just a small older home(the older the better),
    enjoy the wildlife, do some fishing, some beach combing. Anyway any more insight on the st. joe
    situation or anything to do with the coast would be much appreciated.

    And as far as yahoos, rednecks, retirees, its hard to avoid that no matter where you go, we have all
    those things here as well, thats not why Im moving. Good luck in Helena, MT. Beautiful state, check
    out kalisbell, missoula, and livingston. A few yrs back(well maybe a few decades) I was in MT, was
    breathtaking. I ran into some major weather problems in sept-october. Happened to walk myself right
    into a blizzard in amountain pass. So lets just say very short season. Well the seasons arent short,
    just the warm ones lol. Great area though, dont know about biking there though. A great biking town
    is Madison, WI. There everyone bikes from the college kids, to lawyers and docotrs.

    "Slider2699" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    "[censored] Durbin" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    [email hidden] (Green Hill) wrote in message


    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    LOL, I do appreciate the response though. I am looking more coastal than Gainesville.

    I do realize Florida may not be the friendliest biking state overal, but there must be areas
    that are friendlier than others. How bout coastal GA,MS,AL, have any experience in those
    areas? I do know I have to visit these areas more but I'm just trying to get a general feel,
    so I know what areas to visit, and what areas to just not bother with at all. Im trying to
    narrow down the possibilties.

    Sounds like the Pensacola area may be what you are looking for. It isn't so touristy (is that a
    word?) but is on the Gulf. I am in Tallahassee and really love it, but I wouldn't want to rely
    on my bike to get around here.

    Shoot, I live in Citrus county, which is on the Gulf coast about an hour north of Clearwater, and
    bicycling here is pretty dangerous. No bike lanes, lots of busy two lanes, and not even paved
    shoulders most of time. Factor in the large retiree populations in Lincolns, the rednecks in 4x4s,
    and the kids in rice rockets, and it's an adrenaline rush par excellance. Can't wait till I move
    to Helena, Montana. :-)

  8. [email hidden] (Green Hill) wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi,

    Im looking to relocate to the Florida western panhandle coast or Florida northeast coast, and in
    my search I'm looking for bicycle friendly towns(15,000 to 60,000 pop.) In friendly I mean a town
    grid system that is failry accomdating to bicycle traffic. Doesnt really need bike lanes, just a
    fairly tame traffic system, and a centralized grid(un sprawled town) I would like to be able to
    bike full time not just for recreation. The heat factor doesnt bother me for I reside in
    Tennessee,and i am used to humidity and heat. Is there Anybody who could at least point me in the
    right direction in what options I might have?

    Hill

    PS. I wouldnt be opposed to branching out to bordering areas like coastal alabama, missippi, and
    georgia coastal (brunswick,st. marys).

    Like the other person, I would have voted for Gainesville, except for the coast factor. For the
    southern coast I would choose Hollywood, lots of quiet streets, long boardwalk on the beach for
    bicycling, and an old town with some very wide streets that are condusive to cycling.

    What about Tallahassee? It should be bicycle friendly by virtue of the university there.

  9. [email hidden] (Green Hill) wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    [censored], Ive been looking into Pensacola, and it seems more along the lines in what im looking for
    than other florida areas. I did however happen to read a few articles that talked about that it
    might get really delvolped by theis "st.joe company". Also how would you describe the west
    panhandle as far as delvoplment goes.

    Best I can tell, most of the development seems to be within a couple of miles of the coast. The St.
    Joe Company (St. Joe Paper Company) is the largest single landowner in the state. The developent arm
    of the company is Arvida. Arvida developments have been as responsible as possible within the
    confines of a little urban sprawl. My office is on a plot of land donated to the State of Florida by
    Arvida and is on the edge of a new residential development in Tallahassee called Southwood.

    Quoted message said:

    I know areas need a certain amount of delelopment, or it seems the areas have avery little as far
    as anemities. But there is a point i draw a line between delvlopment that still preserves the area
    and delvlopment that ruins a area turning it into a condo affair where every town looks the same.

    When you get away from the coast, you may as well be in Southern Alabama or Georgia.

    Quoted message said:

    I know this first hand living near pigeon forge/gatlinburg TN,(bad delvopment, no planning, major,
    and i do mean major traffic problems,....cough cough I cant see the mountains through the smog
    kinda deal). I figure your a local to N. Florida. If anyone would know you would how the coast is
    delvloping.

    Having moved here from Knoxvegas in 1990, I know where you are coming from. Stay away from Panama
    City. It is Pigeon Forge By The Sea.

    Quoted message said:

    Im not looking to move to Florida to change it, I wont be buying into a condo deal or some big
    planned area, most likely just a small older home(the older the better), enjoy the wildlife, do
    some fishing, some beach combing. Anyway any more insight on the st. joe situation or anything to
    do with the coast would be much appreciated.

    The strip of Gulf Coast from the St. Marks River to Alabama is blessed with several parks that are
    protected from most of the evils of development. Half of St. George Island is developed and the
    other half is park. Cape San Blas is developed but also contains a great park.

    Quoted message said:

    And as far as yahoos, rednecks, retirees, its hard to avoid that no matter where you go, we have
    all those things here as well, thats not why Im moving.

    Not many retirees in the Panhandle and my experience with the local pickumup drivers with the
    "Cowboy Up" or "Ain't Skeered" decals on the windows has been pretty positive. If you are used to
    the East Tennessee heat, you will do just fine down here.

  10. Take a look at Venice. My parents have a winter place down there, and I have done a bit of biking on vacation and it seems to be doable. Its not quite as crowded in as Sarasota or the bay area. There are some places that you have to mix with traffic a bit, but there are also alternatives to 19 for north south stuff.

  11. [email hidden] (Steven Scharf) wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    [email hidden] (Green Hill) wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi,

    Im looking to relocate to the Florida western panhandle coast or Florida northeast coast, and in
    my search I'm looking for bicycle friendly towns(15,000 to 60,000 pop.) In friendly I mean a
    town grid system that is failry accomdating to bicycle traffic. Doesnt really need bike lanes,
    just a fairly tame traffic system, and a centralized grid(un sprawled town) I would like to be
    able to bike full time not just for recreation. The heat factor doesnt bother me for I reside in
    Tennessee,and i am used to humidity and heat. Is there Anybody who could at least point me in
    the right direction in what options I might have?

    Hill

    PS. I wouldnt be opposed to branching out to bordering areas like coastal alabama, missippi, and
    georgia coastal (brunswick,st. marys).

    Im not opposed to hills or grades, my current area is nothing but hills. Im in the foothills of
    the appliachians. If I can bike the cumberlands and the smokies, I think I could handle a few
    grades in Florida. Thanks for all the info everyone, any more imperative info would be much
    appreciated.

    Hill

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.