Road Cycling · Public discussion

Bicycle to work?

Started by Email address hidden · · Last activity · 42 posts · 680 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
28 April 2006
Last activity
8 May 2006
Original author
Email address hidden
Posts
42
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
680
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–40 of 42
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Claire Petersky said:

    "Daryl Hunt" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Huffys aren't for serious duty and that is what the person needs. Then
    again, he needs a good 10 speed Road Bike for that kind of distance

    Lots of people don't need 10 speed cassettes. Personally, I like having 30
    gears at my disposal, but I don't think it's required.

    Hey Claire,

    I think you misunderstood Daryl. He says '10 speed Road Bike' nothing
    about 10 speed cassettes and bikes with 20 or 30 gears. I read his
    message as meaning that the OP needed a bike with a few gears, like the
    old double chainring bikes with 5 speed freewheels I rode when in
    college and for a couple decades past that.

    - rick

  2. "Daryl Hunt" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Edward Dolan" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...


    [...]

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    All of the above by Daryl Hunt is folderol. I have known several cyclists
    who have ridden across the country on very cheap Huffys. Daryl must trash
    his bikes on his commutes. If you are careful and maintain them properly,


    a

    Quoted message said:

    low grade steel bike will last you forever, barring the usual
    replacements
    of tires, chains and brake pads.

    I can see you haven't shoppe Walmart lately for bikes. I ride them hard
    and
    long. I just wore out a Huffy 53.95 in less than 3 months. BTW, I am in
    Colorado where it ain't always flat and I weigh in a svelt 240 lbs. High
    winds, lack of bike paths, rough roads, etc.. And I do go as fast as I
    can.
    Tires last no longer than 3 months due to the Goatheads. We all don't
    live
    downtown like you do. Heck, even downtown around here takes a toll on a
    bike.

    Yup, just as I suspected, Daryl Hunt trashes his bikes.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I myself have an old Huffy that is apparently indestructible. Yes, the


    kids

    Quoted message said:

    trash these bikes, but that is because they do not care for them. Care
    for


    a

    Quoted message said:

    Huffy and it will last you a lifetime.

    Huffys aren't for serious duty and that is what the person needs. Then
    again, he needs a good 10 speed Road Bike for that kind of distance and
    there ain't no Road Bikes (thin tires) sold in Wallyworld.

    Thin tires are for the birds! It is just asking for trouble, but hey, if you
    like lots of flats, be my guest. Furthermore, anyone who weighs 240 lbs. is
    insane to be riding on narrow high pressure tires. First lose about 100 lbs.
    and then maybe you will be a candidate for those kind of tires.

    Until the advent of the mountain bike, all Huffys were road bikes. They were
    always geared too high, but they generally had 10 speeds. However, the
    mountain bike configuration is much better for the vast majority of bike
    riders. Many bike shops no longer even bother carrying any road bikes. Why?
    Because they can't sell them.

    Regards,

    Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
    aka
    Saint Edward the Great - Order of the Perpetual Sorrows - Minnesota

  3. "ko57" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I have an older steel frame 3 speed SA Columbia, love it. But I also
    have a Huffy Sea Pines 3spd-never ridden-I haven't put it together-it
    looks pretty indestructable, and 2 bikes from Wally world.
    I have a Next mountain bike-21 speed, I don't ride it that much
    anymore, about 5 years old, aluminum rims-it's holding up well.

    I also have that recently purchased Next Monterrey aluminum bike. I
    wish it came in the women's model but it doesn't-I called Kent bikes
    (the manufacturer). I'm changing all the nuts and bolts to stainless,
    added a rear rack, a front basket, and just ordered Planet Bike's
    hardcore 60mm matching fenders with mudflaps. It has the Sturmey
    Archer sealed 3 speed which I hear is not as good as the older ones but
    I'll keep my fingers crossed. At 97 dollars plus 12 for the basket,
    about 7 or 8 for the rack & 35 plus 7 shipping for fenders, if I ever
    get going for the 4.5 mile commute one way it will be an inexpensive
    investment in to see just how this bike will hold up. In the meantime
    I'm using it for errands and general riding.

    I was interested in getting a Breezer, or other bicycle but the
    finances say "wait". I figure if I don't get on the bike and do any
    more riding than I am, I won't drop that kind of money just yet. If I
    get going with the commuting-not just errands and general riding, then
    I might spend more, but I'll wait until at least next year. If the
    bike holds up-and mine always have, I'll stay put. I want to see what
    this hurricane season will do, living in s.e. Louisiana...

    ko57 is a genius compared to most of the idiots here on RBM. He has got it
    exactly right about the kind of bike that makes sense for just running
    errands around town and for general utility purposes.

    If you are into sport riding, then and only then does a more expensive bike
    make some sense. Frankly, for most of the kind of bike riding I see around
    my town, a cheap bike will work just fine. Cheap bikes are also the best
    kind to get for kids because they are just going to trash them anyway.

    Regards,

    Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
    aka
    Saint Edward the Great - Order of the Perpetual Sorrows - Minnesota

  4. "Rick" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Claire Petersky said:

    "Daryl Hunt" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Huffys aren't for serious duty and that is what the person needs. Then
    again, he needs a good 10 speed Road Bike for that kind of distance

    Lots of people don't need 10 speed cassettes. Personally, I like having
    30
    gears at my disposal, but I don't think it's required.

    Hey Claire,

    I think you misunderstood Daryl. He says '10 speed Road Bike' nothing
    about 10 speed cassettes and bikes with 20 or 30 gears. I read his
    message as meaning that the OP needed a bike with a few gears, like the
    old double chainring bikes with 5 speed freewheels I rode when in
    college and for a couple decades past that.

    Actually, unless you live in very hilly terrain, a 10 speed is all anyone
    needs. I did not know that 10 speed cassettes even existed. I stopped
    counting when they went past 6. Well, it is just another example of the
    general insanity and of how people are led around by their noses, provided
    that have more money than brains of course.

    I think Claire would probably be happiest is she had 300 gears at her
    disposal. After all, you can never have too many gears.

    Regards,

    Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
    aka
    Saint Edward the Great - Order of the Perpetual Sorrows - Minnesota

  5. "Rick" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Claire Petersky said:

    "Daryl Hunt" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Huffys aren't for serious duty and that is what the person needs.


    Then

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    again, he needs a good 10 speed Road Bike for that kind of distance

    Lots of people don't need 10 speed cassettes. Personally, I like having


    30

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    gears at my disposal, but I don't think it's required.

    Hey Claire,

    I think you misunderstood Daryl. He says '10 speed Road Bike' nothing
    about 10 speed cassettes and bikes with 20 or 30 gears. I read his
    message as meaning that the OP needed a bike with a few gears, like the
    old double chainring bikes with 5 speed freewheels I rode when in
    college and for a couple decades past that.

    For the distance required, the old style, thin tire, light frame, long frame
    bike would do a better job. It goes faster with less effort. Doing 40
    miles, round trip, on a Trailbike isn't a trip, it's an adventure.

    *** Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com ***

  6. "Edward Dolan" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Rick" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Claire Petersky said:

    "Daryl Hunt" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    > Huffys aren't for serious duty and that is what the person needs.


    Then

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > again, he needs a good 10 speed Road Bike for that kind of distance

    Lots of people don't need 10 speed cassettes. Personally, I like having
    30
    gears at my disposal, but I don't think it's required.

    Hey Claire,

    I think you misunderstood Daryl. He says '10 speed Road Bike' nothing
    about 10 speed cassettes and bikes with 20 or 30 gears. I read his
    message as meaning that the OP needed a bike with a few gears, like the
    old double chainring bikes with 5 speed freewheels I rode when in
    college and for a couple decades past that.

    Actually, unless you live in very hilly terrain, a 10 speed is all anyone
    needs. I did not know that 10 speed cassettes even existed. I stopped
    counting when they went past 6. Well, it is just another example of the
    general insanity and of how people are led around by their noses, provided
    that have more money than brains of course.

    I think Claire would probably be happiest is she had 300 gears at her
    disposal. After all, you can never have too many gears.

    I have 21 but use 3X2 only. The lowest range is completely worthless for my
    purposes and the lowest two rear gears are never used. I tried it when I
    got the 21 speed just to see how it felt. Those other gears felt silly (g).

    *** Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com ***

  7. "Edward Dolan" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...
    (irrelvance snipped)

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Huffys aren't for serious duty and that is what the person needs. Then
    again, he needs a good 10 speed Road Bike for that kind of distance and
    there ain't no Road Bikes (thin tires) sold in Wallyworld.

    Thin tires are for the birds! It is just asking for trouble, but hey, if


    you

    Quoted message said:

    like lots of flats, be my guest. Furthermore, anyone who weighs 240 lbs.


    is

    Quoted message said:

    insane to be riding on narrow high pressure tires. First lose about 100


    lbs.

    Quoted message said:

    and then maybe you will be a candidate for those kind of tires.

    I ride a Huffy myself. The one I wore out was the Steel Lead Weight with
    the cheapest derailers in history. I have the Aluminum all the way around
    one now and only have a couple or three complaints.

    1. Tires. Can the Chinese make them any thinner? A bike shop can sell
    you a couple that will do the job.

    2. Tubes. Around here, you won't make 6 hours before replacement with
    something decent. I picked up a ton of Goatheads the size of Railroad
    Spikes. Replaced the tubes with the thicker Slime ones.

    3. Derailers. This bike seems to be able to hold it's adjustments much
    better than the old one. I did a fast adjustment on the way into work this
    morning after fighting it between gears in traffic. But the do sell decent
    Derailer replacements at a decent Bike Shop.

    ALUMINUM == GOOD STEEL == HEAVY

    Quoted message said:


    Until the advent of the mountain bike, all Huffys were road bikes. They


    were

    Quoted message said:

    always geared too high, but they generally had 10 speeds. However, the
    mountain bike configuration is much better for the vast majority of bike
    riders. Many bike shops no longer even bother carrying any road bikes.


    Why?

    Quoted message said:

    Because they can't sell them.

    For my purposes, the mountain bike works the best. I do carry things on it
    work related on a carrier. I do run it on dirt roads and gravel roads.
    Yes, you might think that it's trashing the bike but some of us require more
    out of our systems.

    But I still want to have a really good Road Bike around when I want to get
    where I am going with the least amount of effort.

    Yes, the Roadbike will have more flats but going to decent tires and flat
    resistant tubes will minimize this problem. Of course, a roadside
    maintenance kit carried (including a replacement tube and inflation device)
    is a must. But, then again, Trailbikes used for what they are supposed to
    be used for will also need that same style kit.

    *** Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com ***

  8. "Daryl Hunt" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Edward Dolan" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...
    (irrelvance snipped)

    The Great Ed Dolan is never irrelevant. Perish the thought!

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Huffys aren't for serious duty and that is what the person needs. Then
    again, he needs a good 10 speed Road Bike for that kind of distance and
    there ain't no Road Bikes (thin tires) sold in Wallyworld.

    Thin tires are for the birds! It is just asking for trouble, but hey, if


    you

    Quoted message said:

    like lots of flats, be my guest. Furthermore, anyone who weighs 240 lbs.


    is

    Quoted message said:

    insane to be riding on narrow high pressure tires. First lose about 100


    lbs.

    Quoted message said:

    and then maybe you will be a candidate for those kind of tires.

    I ride a Huffy myself. The one I wore out was the Steel Lead Weight with
    the cheapest derailers in history. I have the Aluminum all the way around
    one now and only have a couple or three complaints.

    1. Tires. Can the Chinese make them any thinner? A bike shop can sell
    you a couple that will do the job.

    2. Tubes. Around here, you won't make 6 hours before replacement with
    something decent. I picked up a ton of Goatheads the size of Railroad
    Spikes. Replaced the tubes with the thicker Slime ones.

    At your weight, you want fat heavy duty tires and tubes.

    Quoted message said:

    3. Derailers. This bike seems to be able to hold it's adjustments much
    better than the old one. I did a fast adjustment on the way into work
    this
    morning after fighting it between gears in traffic. But the do sell
    decent
    Derailer replacements at a decent Bike Shop.

    Cheap derailleurs work just as well as expensive ones, provided you keep
    them adjusted properly and know how to shift.

    Quoted message said:

    ALUMINUM == GOOD STEEL == HEAVY

    Ed Dolan 140 lbs. = light and good. Daryl Hunt 240 lbs. = heavy and bad.

    At your weight, the weight of the bike is irrelevant.
    [...]

    Regards,

    Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
    aka
    Saint Edward the Great - Order of the Perpetual Sorrows - Minnesota

  9. "Edward Dolan" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Daryl Hunt" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...


    ..

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    I ride a Huffy myself. The one I wore out was the Steel Lead Weight


    with

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    the cheapest derailers in history. I have the Aluminum all the way


    around

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    one now and only have a couple or three complaints.

    1. Tires. Can the Chinese make them any thinner? A bike shop can


    sell

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    you a couple that will do the job.

    2. Tubes. Around here, you won't make 6 hours before replacement


    with

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    something decent. I picked up a ton of Goatheads the size of Railroad
    Spikes. Replaced the tubes with the thicker Slime ones.

    At your weight, you want fat heavy duty tires and tubes.

    Hey, I resemble that remark.

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    3. Derailers. This bike seems to be able to hold it's adjustments


    much

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    better than the old one. I did a fast adjustment on the way into work
    this
    morning after fighting it between gears in traffic. But the do sell
    decent
    Derailer replacements at a decent Bike Shop.

    Cheap derailleurs work just as well as expensive ones, provided you keep
    them adjusted properly and know how to shift.

    LOL, wanna bet that I put in more daily miles than you? I am up to 12 today
    with more to go. It appears the low milagers seem to believe they are
    superior to the high milagers since us high milagers can't POSSIBLY be as
    good since our calender failure rate is much higher.

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    ALUMINUM == GOOD STEEL == HEAVY

    Ed Dolan 140 lbs. = light and good. Daryl Hunt 240 lbs. = heavy and bad.

    Ed Dolan == Bad Daryl Hunt == Good (depends on the views, person asked
    and the time of day)

    Quoted message said:


    At your weight, the weight of the bike is irrelevant.
    [...]

    Let's see, 12 miles this afternoon alone carrying that fat assed 240 lbs
    (wanna bet it's not all fat), A laptop, spare batteries, A half gallon of
    water, lunch ( am just now getting the chance to eat), bike emergency kit
    and a REAL bad attitude hating the Boss (I am the boss) for making be do
    such a silly thing. When surveying for sites, you get a completely
    different perspective on a Bike than in a Car.

    Still have about 4 or 5 to go and then it's Miller Time. And, yes, my right
    knee ball is going to hurt me when I finally relax. The alternative is to
    stop pedaling the bike and have it lock up and stay there, you young whipper
    snapper.

    *** Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com ***

  10. "Daryl Hunt" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Edward Dolan" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...


    [...]

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    ALUMINUM == GOOD STEEL == HEAVY

    Ed Dolan 140 lbs. = light and good. Daryl Hunt 240 lbs. = heavy and bad.

    Ed Dolan == Bad Daryl Hunt == Good (depends on the views, person
    asked
    and the time of day)

    Daryl, you are grossly overweight and you need to lose at least 60 lbs.
    right away. Do more biking and less eating and you will get there.

    If and when an upright bike gets to be too much of an aggravation for you,
    then I recommend that you switch over to a recumbent style of bike. You will
    get almost as good a workout and nothing will hurt afterwards. Recumbents
    are ideal for older folks who are overweight.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    At your weight, the weight of the bike is irrelevant.
    [...]

    Let's see, 12 miles this afternoon alone carrying that fat assed 240 lbs
    (wanna bet it's not all fat), A laptop, spare batteries, A half gallon of
    water, lunch ( am just now getting the chance to eat), bike emergency kit
    and a REAL bad attitude hating the Boss (I am the boss) for making be do
    such a silly thing. When surveying for sites, you get a completely
    different perspective on a Bike than in a Car.

    Still have about 4 or 5 to go and then it's Miller Time. And, yes, my
    right
    knee ball is going to hurt me when I finally relax. The alternative is to
    stop pedaling the bike and have it lock up and stay there, you young
    whipper
    snapper.

    I know just so many folks who have got a really bad arthritis of the knees
    from all that weight they carry around. Arthritis of the hips too. Keep
    cycling at all costs. You are on the right track. Best of luck to you!

    Regards,

    Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
    aka
    Saint Edward the Great - Order of the Perpetual Sorrows - Minnesota

  11. "Edward Dolan" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Daryl Hunt" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Edward Dolan" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...


    [...]

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > ALUMINUM == GOOD STEEL == HEAVY

    Ed Dolan 140 lbs. = light and good. Daryl Hunt 240 lbs. = heavy and


    bad.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    Ed Dolan == Bad Daryl Hunt == Good (depends on the views, person
    asked
    and the time of day)

    Daryl, you are grossly overweight and you need to lose at least 60 lbs.
    right away. Do more biking and less eating and you will get there.

    Let's see, you have never net me, have no idea of my frame nor my height.
    You don't even know my eating habits. I could say that you are skinny
    little runt that needs to get over your bolimia as well but that would be
    equally as presumptive.

    Quoted message said:


    If and when an upright bike gets to be too much of an aggravation for you,
    then I recommend that you switch over to a recumbent style of bike. You


    will

    Quoted message said:

    get almost as good a workout and nothing will hurt afterwards. Recumbents
    are ideal for older folks who are overweight.

    And exactly what is "Overwieght"? I spent over 20 years in the Military and
    had one devil of a time making the weights they thought all human beings
    should be at. They also had a program for folks like me that are heavy
    framed with some meat on their bones that put us on a different scale.
    Those that end up on that program are made up of the weaker people of the
    earth like Body Builders, Boxers, Football Players, etc.. And almost all of
    them can kick most peoples ass when it's necessary. Overwieght? Think
    about it then go into a bar and walk up to one of the Bikers who you think
    is overwieght and give them the same piece of mind. Your obit will be in
    the next day's papers.

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    At your weight, the weight of the bike is irrelevant.
    [...]

    Let's see, 12 miles this afternoon alone carrying that fat assed 240 lbs
    (wanna bet it's not all fat), A laptop, spare batteries, A half gallon


    of

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    water, lunch ( am just now getting the chance to eat), bike emergency


    kit

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    and a REAL bad attitude hating the Boss (I am the boss) for making be do
    such a silly thing. When surveying for sites, you get a completely
    different perspective on a Bike than in a Car.

    Still have about 4 or 5 to go and then it's Miller Time. And, yes, my
    right
    knee ball is going to hurt me when I finally relax. The alternative is


    to

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    stop pedaling the bike and have it lock up and stay there, you young
    whipper
    snapper.

    I know just so many folks who have got a really bad arthritis of the knees
    from all that weight they carry around. Arthritis of the hips too. Keep
    cycling at all costs. You are on the right track. Best of luck to you!

    And your thinking all of us should be 150lbs shows you are on the wrong
    track. Not about biking but about something else intirely. But I do wish
    you luck in gaining some weight. Or winning that fight with that fat biker
    (g)

    Quoted message said:


    Regards,

    Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
    aka
    Saint Edward the Great - Order of the Perpetual Sorrows - Minnesota

    *** Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com ***

  12. Daryl Hunt said:

    "Edward Dolan" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Daryl Hunt" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Edward Dolan" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...


    [...]

    Quoted message said:

    > > ALUMINUM == GOOD STEEL == HEAVY
    >
    > Ed Dolan 140 lbs. = light and good. Daryl Hunt 240 lbs. = heavy and


    bad.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    Ed Dolan == Bad Daryl Hunt == Good (depends on the views, person
    asked
    and the time of day)

    Daryl, you are grossly overweight and you need to lose at least 60 lbs.
    right away. Do more biking and less eating and you will get there.

    Let's see, you have never net me, have no idea of my frame nor my height.
    You don't even know my eating habits. I could say that you are skinny
    little runt that needs to get over your bolimia as well but that would be
    equally as presumptive.

    Quoted message said:


    If and when an upright bike gets to be too much of an aggravation for you,
    then I recommend that you switch over to a recumbent style of bike. You


    will

    Quoted message said:

    get almost as good a workout and nothing will hurt afterwards. Recumbents
    are ideal for older folks who are overweight.

    And exactly what is "Overwieght"? I spent over 20 years in the Military and
    had one devil of a time making the weights they thought all human beings
    should be at. They also had a program for folks like me that are heavy
    framed with some meat on their bones that put us on a different scale.
    Those that end up on that program are made up of the weaker people of the
    earth like Body Builders, Boxers, Football Players, etc.. And almost all of
    them can kick most peoples ass when it's necessary. Overwieght? Think
    about it then go into a bar and walk up to one of the Bikers who you think
    is overwieght and give them the same piece of mind. Your obit will be in
    the next day's papers.

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    > At your weight, the weight of the bike is irrelevant.
    > [...]

    Let's see, 12 miles this afternoon alone carrying that fat assed 240 lbs
    (wanna bet it's not all fat), A laptop, spare batteries, A half gallon


    of

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    water, lunch ( am just now getting the chance to eat), bike emergency


    kit

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    and a REAL bad attitude hating the Boss (I am the boss) for making be do
    such a silly thing. When surveying for sites, you get a completely
    different perspective on a Bike than in a Car.

    Still have about 4 or 5 to go and then it's Miller Time. And, yes, my
    right
    knee ball is going to hurt me when I finally relax. The alternative is


    to

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    stop pedaling the bike and have it lock up and stay there, you young
    whipper
    snapper.

    I know just so many folks who have got a really bad arthritis of the knees
    from all that weight they carry around. Arthritis of the hips too. Keep
    cycling at all costs. You are on the right track. Best of luck to you!

    And your thinking all of us should be 150lbs shows you are on the wrong
    track. Not about biking but about something else intirely. But I do wish
    you luck in gaining some weight. Or winning that fight with that fat biker
    (g)

    Since when are fat bikers "tough"? Overweight with greasy hair
    maybe : but tough? Lard <> Fighting Muscle no matter how many "devil
    tattoos" one has.

  13. A couple other items in addition to the great advice already given:
    1. The Touring bike is a good idea. If you don't have a lot of hills,
    and if it tends to be windy there, you might consider a recumbent, and
    maybe with a fairing to minimize wind resistance.
    2. The advice to drive in one day, bike home, and then reverse is good
    advice for this type of long commute. Plus you could double up on
    clothing, etc, and keep your trip lighter. In the long run, this
    option won't help to get rid of that second car though, which besides
    the gas savings, is another economical benefit of cycling.
    3. Get some Armadillo or other heavy duty tires, and you will have very
    few problems with flats. That's the last thing you'll want to
    confront, when you're riding that kind of distance.

    http://home.comcast.net/~oil_free_and_happy/

  14. "Daryl Hunt" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    ALUMINUM == GOOD STEEL == HEAVY

    My steel frame weighs 3.85 lbs. How much does your aluminum frame weigh?

    --
    Warm Regards,

    Claire Petersky
    http://www.bicyclemeditations.org/
    See the books I've set free at: http://bookcrossing.com/referral/Cpetersky

  15. Why buy a cheapo new bike from WalMart when lots of LBS stock used bikes? A
    quality used road bike or hybrid will work much better than an MTB double
    boinger from Walmart.

  16. "Claire Petersky" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    "Daryl Hunt" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    ALUMINUM == GOOD STEEL == HEAVY

    My steel frame weighs 3.85 lbs. How much does your aluminum frame weigh?

    Mine carries my fat butt just fine and I wouldn't trust a 3.85lb frame no
    matter what it was made of.

    *** Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com ***

  17. "Daryl Hunt" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Edward Dolan" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Daryl Hunt" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Edward Dolan" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...


    [...]

    Quoted message said:

    > > ALUMINUM == GOOD STEEL == HEAVY
    >
    > Ed Dolan 140 lbs. = light and good. Daryl Hunt 240 lbs. = heavy and


    bad.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    Ed Dolan == Bad Daryl Hunt == Good (depends on the views, person
    asked
    and the time of day)

    Daryl, you are grossly overweight and you need to lose at least 60 lbs.
    right away. Do more biking and less eating and you will get there.

    Let's see, you have never net me, have no idea of my frame nor my height.
    You don't even know my eating habits. I could say that you are skinny
    little runt that needs to get over your bolimia as well but that would be
    equally as presumptive.

    Nope, I weigh about what a human being ought to weigh. You weight about what
    a human and a half ought to weigh. Lose those extra 60 lbs. or you will not
    have a very good old age, if you even get to be old.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    If and when an upright bike gets to be too much of an aggravation for
    you,
    then I recommend that you switch over to a recumbent style of bike. You


    will

    Quoted message said:

    get almost as good a workout and nothing will hurt afterwards. Recumbents
    are ideal for older folks who are overweight.

    And exactly what is "Overwieght"? I spent over 20 years in the Military
    and
    had one devil of a time making the weights they thought all human beings
    should be at. They also had a program for folks like me that are heavy
    framed with some meat on their bones that put us on a different scale.
    Those that end up on that program are made up of the weaker people of the
    earth like Body Builders, Boxers, Football Players, etc.. And almost all
    of
    them can kick most peoples ass when it's necessary. Overwieght? Think
    about it then go into a bar and walk up to one of the Bikers who you
    think
    is overwieght and give them the same piece of mind. Your obit will be in
    the next day's papers.

    Nope, heavy athletic types like you drop dead on a regular basis. I see it
    all the time. Never mind all those freaking muscles. Just make sure your
    cardio-vascular system is in good shape. That is all that counts in the end
    and why we scrawny types seem to live forever.
    [...]

    Regards,

    Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
    aka
    Saint Edward the Great - Order of the Perpetual Sorrows - Minnesota

  18. "Edward Dolan" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Daryl Hunt" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Edward Dolan" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Daryl Hunt" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...
    >
    > "Edward Dolan" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    > news:[email hidden]...
    [...]
    >> > ALUMINUM == GOOD STEEL == HEAVY
    >>
    >> Ed Dolan 140 lbs. = light and good. Daryl Hunt 240 lbs. = heavy and


    bad.

    Quoted message said:

    >
    > Ed Dolan == Bad Daryl Hunt == Good (depends on the views,


    person

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > asked
    > and the time of day)

    Daryl, you are grossly overweight and you need to lose at least 60 lbs.
    right away. Do more biking and less eating and you will get there.

    Let's see, you have never net me, have no idea of my frame nor my


    height.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    You don't even know my eating habits. I could say that you are skinny
    little runt that needs to get over your bolimia as well but that would


    be

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    equally as presumptive.

    Nope, I weigh about what a human being ought to weigh. You weight about


    what

    Quoted message said:

    a human and a half ought to weigh. Lose those extra 60 lbs. or you will


    not

    Quoted message said:

    have a very good old age, if you even get to be old.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    If and when an upright bike gets to be too much of an aggravation for
    you,
    then I recommend that you switch over to a recumbent style of bike. You


    will

    Quoted message said:

    get almost as good a workout and nothing will hurt afterwards.


    Recumbents

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    are ideal for older folks who are overweight.

    And exactly what is "Overwieght"? I spent over 20 years in the Military
    and
    had one devil of a time making the weights they thought all human beings
    should be at. They also had a program for folks like me that are heavy
    framed with some meat on their bones that put us on a different scale.
    Those that end up on that program are made up of the weaker people of


    the

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    earth like Body Builders, Boxers, Football Players, etc.. And almost


    all

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    of
    them can kick most peoples ass when it's necessary. Overwieght? Think
    about it then go into a bar and walk up to one of the Bikers who you
    think
    is overwieght and give them the same piece of mind. Your obit will be


    in

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    the next day's papers.

    Nope, heavy athletic types like you drop dead on a regular basis. I see it
    all the time. Never mind all those freaking muscles. Just make sure your
    cardio-vascular system is in good shape. That is all that counts in the


    end

    Quoted message said:

    and why we scrawny types seem to live forever.
    [...]

    Quiet scrawny types live longer. You ain't quiet and ain't going to even
    outlive me 🙂

    *** Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com ***

  19. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Daryl Hunt said:

    Quiet scrawny types live longer.

    That's me.

    Quoted message said:

    You ain't quiet and ain't going to even
    outlive me 🙂

    I expect Li'l Ed's liver will explode sooner or later.

    When it does, I hope his Maker will forgive, or at least
    sort of excuse most of his multitudinous sins. After all,
    I don'twanna see the obnoxious li'l nudnik rotting in Hell.
    But non-geosynchronously orbiting the Earth in Limbo for a
    few millenia might do his soul some good. Maybe with The
    Lovesong of Alfred E. Neuman, by B.S. Idiot, repeatedly
    recited to him by Tip O'Neil in an endless loop, and with
    Led Zepellin's "No Quarter" (the heavy, live version) tossed
    in, every few decades..

    I hear Limbo is a "dry" jurisdiction. Very, dustily dry.

    cheers,
    Tom

    --
    -- "... there I was, stranded on a desert island, with
    nothing to sustain me but food & water." -- W.C. Fields

  20. "Tom Keats" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Daryl Hunt said:

    Quiet scrawny types live longer.

    That's me.

    Quoted message said:

    You ain't quiet and ain't going to even
    outlive me 🙂

    I expect Li'l Ed's liver will explode sooner or later.

    When it does, I hope his Maker will forgive, or at least
    sort of excuse most of his multitudinous sins. After all,
    I don'twanna see the obnoxious li'l nudnik rotting in Hell.
    But non-geosynchronously orbiting the Earth in Limbo for a
    few millenia might do his soul some good. Maybe with The
    Lovesong of Alfred E. Neuman, by B.S. Idiot, repeatedly
    recited to him by Tip O'Neil in an endless loop, and with
    Led Zepellin's "No Quarter" (the heavy, live version) tossed
    in, every few decades..

    I hear Limbo is a "dry" jurisdiction. Very, dustily dry.

    Tom Keats is a good old working class bloke who has obviously read a few
    books from time to time, but still it is very hard to make any sense out of
    his messages. On the other hand I believe everyone in the world can easily
    understand my humble messages, even Tom Keats! That is because I do not make
    allusions to [censored] that nobody will ever have heard of. Led Zepellin?

    The few glasses of vino that I imbibe while posting to Usenet are only for
    the purpose of getting my creative juices flowing. If I was as sober all the
    time as Tom Keats, I would doubtless end up writing like him. Perish the
    thought!

    Regards,

    Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
    aka
    Saint Edward the Great - Order of the Perpetual Sorrows - Minnesota

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.