I'm always amazed that since its invention over
a hundred years ago, there haven't been radical
changes to basic design of the bike. I think the
last really significant change was the introduction of
gears, but that must have been over seventy years ago.
(Note to Dark Siders - recumbents, trikes, etc. do
NOT count.) Perhaps this is so because there aren't any
new technologies or materials to incorporate into
bicycle design. But there are at least two things I'd
like to see:
1. A lightweight device which acts a kind of energy storage device and and allows you to divert a
specified percentage of the energy you're using to pedal so that if you run into a hill or
headwind later on, you can discharge the energy (at a rate you specify) to give you an assist.
2. Compact human-powered flying machines (OK, I know - this isn't really a bicycle). I watched a
documentary once on the Discovery Channel on someone who flew across the Channel using a human
powered... well, it looked a bit like a helicopter. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find
out any more about this. I think it would really be great if more research went into such
vehicles to the point where they could cheaply be mass produced and they were a lot more compact
that the vehicle I saw.