Road Cycling · Public discussion

Bicycling mag suggestions, please.

Started by Mark Mitchell · · Last activity · 14 posts · 528 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
7 October 2004
Last activity
8 October 2004
Original author
Mark Mitchell
Posts
14
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
528
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–14 of 14
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I'm in the market for a bicycling mag. I'm not interested in off-roading,
    long-distance touring or racing. My primary interests are all-weather
    commuting (including a MN winter), and utility riding/cargo carrying.

    A publication with a strong DIY tone would be a bonus.

    Any ideas/suggestions?

    Thanks,
    Mark

    --
    Remove both wrongs to make the email address right.

  2. "Mark Mitchell" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I'm in the market for a bicycling mag. I'm not interested in off-roading,
    long-distance touring or racing. My primary interests are all-weather
    commuting (including a MN winter), and utility riding/cargo carrying.

    A publication with a strong DIY tone would be a bonus.

    Any ideas/suggestions?

    Thanks,
    Mark

    --
    Remove both wrongs to make the email address right.


    Rodale's BICYCLING magazine is an all-things-to-all-riders pub with a sister
    magazine dedicated to offroad. DIY is featured, as are diet, training,
    gear, and cycling news (two separate issues featuring TDF, oh well...).

  3. "Brian" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    Rodale's BICYCLING magazine is an all-things-to-all-riders pub with a
    sister magazine dedicated to offroad. DIY is featured, as are diet,
    training, gear, and cycling news

    hah hah hah hah hah hah hah hah hah hah hah hah hah hah hah hah hah hah hah hah
    hah hah hah hah hah hah hah hah hah hah hah hah hah hah hah hah hah hah hah hah
    hah hah hah hah hah hah hah hah hah hah hah hah hah hah hah hah hah hah hah hah

  4. Brian said:


    "Mark Mitchell" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I'm in the market for a bicycling mag. I'm not interested in off-roading,
    long-distance touring or racing. My primary interests are all-weather
    commuting (including a MN winter), and utility riding/cargo carrying.

    A publication with a strong DIY tone would be a bonus.

    Any ideas/suggestions?

    Thanks,
    Mark

    --
    Remove both wrongs to make the email address right.


    Rodale's BICYCLING magazine is an all-things-to-all-riders pub with a sister
    magazine dedicated to offroad. DIY is featured, as are diet, training,
    gear, and cycling news (two separate issues featuring TDF, oh well...).


    No offence intended but, umm thanks, no. I had a subscription to
    Buycycling magazine back in the mid-80s, had it for a year or so, and read
    pretty much everything they had to say. According to my browsing at the
    magazine rack, they don't have much of anything new yet.

    Mark

    --
    Remove both wrongs to make the email address right.

  5. Mark Mitchell said:
    Brian said:

    "Mark Mitchell" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I'm in the market for a bicycling mag. I'm not interested in off-roading,
    long-distance touring or racing. My primary interests are all-weather
    commuting (including a MN winter), and utility riding/cargo carrying.

    A publication with a strong DIY tone would be a bonus.

    Any ideas/suggestions?

    Thanks,
    Mark

    --
    Remove both wrongs to make the email address right.

    Rodale's BICYCLING magazine is an all-things-to-all-riders pub with a sister
    magazine dedicated to offroad. DIY is featured, as are diet, training,
    gear, and cycling news (two separate issues featuring TDF, oh well...).

    No offence intended but, umm thanks, no. I had a subscription to
    Buycycling magazine back in the mid-80s, had it for a year or so, and read
    pretty much everything they had to say. According to my browsing at the
    magazine rack, they don't have much of anything new yet.

    Yeah, ok, but the guy asked for a recommendation. What would you then
    recommend to him?

    -paul

    --
    paul DOT cassel aT
    gMail dot COM

  6. Paul Cassel said:

    Yeah, ok, but the guy asked for a recommendation. What would you then
    recommend to him?

    cycling+

    boy, oh, boy does bicycling suck.
    --
    david reuteler
    [email hidden]

  7. why bother with a mag. all they are there for is to sell you new stuff and
    repeat the old stuff. there is far better info available on the net. plus it's
    free.

    --
    Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
    Custom made wooden planes at reasonable prices
    See http://www.knight-toolworks.com For prices and ordering instructions.

  8. Paul Cassel said:
    Mark Mitchell said:
    Brian said:

    "Mark Mitchell" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    >I'm in the market for a bicycling mag. I'm not interested in off-roading,
    >long-distance touring or racing. My primary interests are all-weather
    >commuting (including a MN winter), and utility riding/cargo carrying.
    >
    >A publication with a strong DIY tone would be a bonus.
    >
    >Any ideas/suggestions?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Mark
    >
    >--
    >Remove both wrongs to make the email address right.
    >

    Rodale's BICYCLING magazine is an all-things-to-all-riders pub with a sister
    magazine dedicated to offroad. DIY is featured, as are diet, training,
    gear, and cycling news (two separate issues featuring TDF, oh well...).

    No offence intended but, umm thanks, no. I had a subscription to
    Buycycling magazine back in the mid-80s, had it for a year or so, and read
    pretty much everything they had to say. According to my browsing at the
    magazine rack, they don't have much of anything new yet.

    Yeah, ok, but the guy asked for a recommendation. What would you then
    recommend to him?


    Well, considering that I am the guy asking for a recommendation, I can
    assure you that Buycycling isn't what 'the guy' is looking for.

    Mark

    --
    Remove both wrongs to make the email address right.

  9. David Reuteler said:
    Paul Cassel said:

    Yeah, ok, but the guy asked for a recommendation. What would you then
    recommend to him?

    cycling+


    I'm interested in checking it out, they got a website?

    Quoted message said:

    boy, oh, boy does bicycling suck.

    Agreed.

    Mark

    --
    Remove both wrongs to make the email address right.

  10. Steve Knight said:

    why bother with a mag. all they are there for is to sell you new stuff and
    repeat the old stuff. there is far better info available on the net. plus it's
    free.


    Well, there's one reason.

    My better half complains when I bring the computer into the the bathroom
    with me. 🙂

    Mark

    --
    Remove both wrongs to make the email address right.

  11. David Reuteler <[email hidden]> wrote in news:4166ac95$0$532$a1866201
    @newsreader.visi.com:

    Quoted message said:

    cycling+

    CyclingPlus is a very good magazine. It covers the same kind of material as
    Buycling, just at a much higher quality level. That doesn't sound like what
    the original poster was asking for, though. You can find CyclingPlus in
    bigger bookstores and bike shops. It is printed in England, so subscriptions
    in the US are kind of pricey.

    I think the original poster would be happier with something like the
    Rivendell Reader: http://www.rivendellbicycles.com/html/reader.html

  12. On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 18:23:54 GMT, Mark Mitchell
    <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    <[email hidden]>:

    Quoted message said:

    I'm in the market for a bicycling mag. I'm not interested in off-roading,
    long-distance touring or racing. My primary interests are all-weather
    commuting (including a MN winter), and utility riding/cargo carrying.

    http://www.velovision.co.uk - I have subscribed for a couple of years
    now and it is consistently the most content-rich magazine I buy, as
    measured by the time required to read it.

    Guy
    --
    May contain traces of irony. Contents liable to settle after posting.
    http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

    88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at Washington University

  13. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Mark Mitchell said:
    Steve Knight said:

    why bother with a mag. all they are there for is to sell you new stuff and
    repeat the old stuff. there is far better info available on the net. plus it's
    free.


    Well, there's one reason.

    My better half complains when I bring the computer into the the bathroom
    with me. 🙂

    After searching around for Minnesota-specific info,
    Google coughed this up:
    http://www.bikeped.org/

    They at least have a newsletter, but it doesn't seem
    to be downloadable/printable.

    My searching also turned up Culture Change:
    http://culturechange.org

    apparently formerly known as The Auto-Free Times.
    I find it interesting, but it might be too political
    and not enough about just plain cycling for other
    people's tastes. But I just learned from it that
    bungee cords are a leading cause of eye injuries.

    cheers,
    Tom

    --
    -- Nothing is safe from me.
    Above address is just a spam midden.
    I'm really at: tkeats [curlicue] vcn [point] bc [point] ca


  14. Quoted message said:

    My better half complains when I bring the computer into the the bathroom
    with me. 🙂

    ever hear of a PDA? (G)

    --
    Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
    Custom made wooden planes at reasonable prices
    See http://www.knight-toolworks.com For prices and ordering instructions.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.