Road Cycling · Public discussion

Bicycling Magazine

Started by joekhul · · Last activity · 21 posts · 1,479 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
25 April 2008
Last activity
12 May 2008
Original author
joekhul
Posts
21
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,479
Views / 30 days
8

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 21
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Is it me or has Bicycling magazine gotten a little better in the past
    couple of years? I tried it some years ago, but it appeared to me that
    it was a flashy magazine designed for extreme(!) young guys and I
    found no value in it and didn't miss it one iota. But in the last
    couple of years I've been getting it whether I want it or not because
    I send money to some bicycling organization (there's a couple I donate
    to -- it might be Cyclist.org...I don't know); and I see now there's
    some useful articles in each issue or at least in their sidebars; and
    now I find I do enjoy some of the articles.

    I don't know -- what do you all think?

  2. joekhul said:

    Is it me or has Bicycling magazine gotten a little better in the past
    couple of years? I tried it some years ago, but it appeared to me that
    it was a flashy magazine designed for extreme(!) young guys and I
    found no value in it and didn't miss it one iota. But in the last
    couple of years I've been getting it whether I want it or not because
    I send money to some bicycling organization (there's a couple I donate
    to -- it might be Cyclist.org...I don't know); and I see now there's
    some useful articles in each issue or at least in their sidebars; and
    now I find I do enjoy some of the articles.

    I don't know -- what do you all think?

    Howdy,

    Is there any chance you are becoming an extreme(!) young
    guy...?

    All the best,
    --
    Kenneth

    If you email... Please remove the "SPAMLESS."

  3. Kenneth said:

    On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 17:54:38 -0700 (PDT), joekhul

    Quoted message said:

    Is it me or has Bicycling magazine gotten a little better in the past
    couple of years? I tried it some years ago, but it appeared to me that
    it was a flashy magazine designed for extreme(!) young guys and I
    found no value in it and didn't miss it one iota. But in the last
    couple of years I've been getting it whether I want it or not because
    I send money to some bicycling organization (there's a couple I donate
    to -- it might be Cyclist.org...I don't know); and I see now there's
    some useful articles in each issue or at least in their sidebars; and
    now I find I do enjoy some of the articles.

    Quoted message said:

    I don't know -- what do you all think?

    Howdy,

    Is there any chance you are becoming an extreme(!) young
    guy...?

    All the best,
    --
    Kenneth

    If you email... Please remove the "SPAMLESS."

    Ha! No, not hardly....I'm getting better(!)

  4. joekhul said:

    Is it me or has Bicycling magazine gotten a little better in the
    past
    couple of years? I tried it some years ago, but it appeared to me
    that
    it was a flashy magazine designed for extreme(!) young guys and I
    found no value in it and didn't miss it one iota. But in the last
    couple of years I've been getting it whether I want it or not
    because
    I send money to some bicycling organization (there's a couple I
    donate
    to -- it might be Cyclist.org...I don't know); and I see now
    there's
    some useful articles in each issue or at least in their sidebars;
    and
    now I find I do enjoy some of the articles.

    I don't know -- what do you all think?

    They are using more than one paragraph articles again. It's still
    not great, but it is a big improvement. I got a "free" subscription
    a few months ago and actually renewed it.

    --
    Mike Kruger
    "You have to be careful if you are reckless." - Richard M. Daley

  5. ZBicyclist said:
    joekhul said:

    Is it me or has Bicycling magazine gotten a little better in the
    past
    couple of years? I tried it some years ago, but it appeared to me
    that
    it was a flashy magazine designed for extreme(!) young guys and I
    found no value in it and didn't miss it one iota. But in the last
    couple of years I've been getting it whether I want it or not
    because
    I send money to some bicycling organization (there's a couple I
    donate
    to -- it might be Cyclist.org...I don't know); and I see now
    there's
    some useful articles in each issue or at least in their sidebars;
    and
    now I find I do enjoy some of the articles.

    I don't know -- what do you all think?

    They are using more than one paragraph articles again. It's still
    not great, but it is a big improvement. I got a "free" subscription
    a few months ago and actually renewed it.

    I browsed a Bicycling Magazine publication in the used book store
    just today. There were step-by-step photographs and instructions for
    repairing tubular tires. It was a repair manual from ~1990. I'm
    guessing because I didn't look at the copyright or printing history

    Also had wheel lacing and truing photos IIRC. It didn't interest me
    because it didn't contain any information I don't already have or
    could access more easily online.
    A quaint item not worth eight bux to me.

    The latest issues of the magazine are across the street in the
    library. I'll have to start looking at them again. Maybe even find it
    worth checking out.
    --
    zk

  6. joekhul said:

    Is it me or has Bicycling magazine gotten a little better in the past
    couple of years? I tried it some years ago, but it appeared to me that
    it was a flashy magazine designed for extreme(!) young guys and I
    found no value in it and didn't miss it one iota. But in the last
    couple of years I've been getting it whether I want it or not because
    I send money to some bicycling organization (there's a couple I donate
    to -- it might be Cyclist.org...I don't know); and I see now there's
    some useful articles in each issue or at least in their sidebars; and
    now I find I do enjoy some of the articles.

    I don't know -- what do you all think?

    And to give proper credit:

    The folks I sent the money to is: League of American Bicyclists. They
    can be found at www.bikeleague.org

    You become a member with them and you get subscribed to Bicycle
    magazine, plus you get a quarterly publication of American Bicyclist.

  7. joekhul said:

    Is it me or has Bicycling magazine gotten a little better in the past
    couple of years?

    Well, it's a matter of taste, I'm sure. IMO, it's better largely
    because there wasn't much way for it to get worse.

    They've had a few interesting articles lately. But the emphasis is
    still 90% on "Shave 0.002% off your next time trial!!!" or "Use these
    exercises to get sexy legs!!!!!" or "THIS is the piece of expensive
    equipment you've GOT to buy!!!!!"

    Page 136 of the current issue has "5 THINGS TO MAKE YOU
    FASTER" (Emphasis theirs). Total cost? Well over $2500. That's
    for a wheelset, $80 worth of semi-edible goo, $360 worth of clothes
    (to make you faster!!!), a fancy speedometer, and - wait for it -
    ceramic bearings.

    Oh yes - last month they called some movie star a "wheelsucker"
    because he was seen riding without a (gasp!) helmet.

    As it happens, I've got four different cycling magazined piled next to
    my recliner right now: Bicycle Quarterly, Rivendell Reader, American
    Cyclist (that's LAB's rag), and Buycycling. I find the first two to
    be roughly 30 times more interesting than the last two.

    Briefly, the style of cycling they currently promote has never, ever
    appealed to me. But, as always, YMMV.

    - Frank Krygowski

  8. Bicycling is FAR better than bike magazine. Nothing but slackers
    coasting downhill.

    joekhul said:

    Is it me or has Bicycling magazine gotten a little better in the past
    couple of years? I tried it some years ago, but it appeared to me that
    it was a flashy magazine designed for extreme(!) young guys and I
    found no value in it and didn't miss it one iota. But in the last
    couple of years I've been getting it whether I want it or not because
    I send money to some bicycling organization (there's a couple I donate
    to -- it might be Cyclist.org...I don't know); and I see now there's
    some useful articles in each issue or at least in their sidebars; and
    now I find I do enjoy some of the articles.

    I don't know -- what do you all think?

  9. joekhul said:

    Is it me or has Bicycling magazine gotten a little better in the past
    couple of years? ...

    I don't know -- what do you all think?

    I'd agree, at least with respect to their articles not geared toward
    riding faster in N steps, or "value" bikes that cost $3000+ (not quite
    as bad as Road Bike Action magazine's reviews that read more like a
    buzz word dictionary), etc.. I don't subscribe to Bicycling, but read
    it sometimes at the library.

    I've enjoyed reading about their Africa Bike project, interviews with
    cyclists (I think they had an interview with Saul Raisin just before
    his life threatening crash and then later did a follow up article on
    how he's getting on with life now), Team Major Taylor, stuff like
    that.

  10. joekhul said:

    Is it me or has Bicycling magazine gotten a little better in the past
    couple of years? I tried it some years ago, but it appeared to me that
    it was a flashy magazine designed for extreme(!) young guys and I
    found no value in it and didn't miss it one iota. But in the last
    couple of years I've been getting it whether I want it or not because
    I send money to some bicycling organization (there's a couple I donate
    to -- it might be Cyclist.org...I don't know); and I see now there's
    some useful articles in each issue or at least in their sidebars; and
    now I find I do enjoy some of the articles.

    I don't know -- what do you all think?

    I subscribe and pass it on to my family to read, but don't rely on it to
    learn anything deep about bikes, only to keep up with what's current. I
    have not really ever found a monthly bike magazine that interests me all
    that much. I'd rather be out riding.

  11. joekhul said:

    Is it me or has Bicycling magazine gotten a little better in the past
    couple of years? I tried it some years ago, but it appeared to me that
    it was a flashy magazine designed for extreme(!) young guys and I found
    no value in it and didn't miss it one iota. But in the last couple of
    years I've been getting it whether I want it or not because I send money
    to some bicycling organization (there's a couple I donate to -- it might
    be Cyclist.org...I don't know); and I see now there's some useful
    articles in each issue or at least in their sidebars; and now I find I
    do enjoy some of the articles.

    I don't know -- what do you all think?

    It's improved but it's still a shadow of what it could be.

    Bicycling.com has a lot of traffic even though it sucks, and I mean really
    sucks, which is a testament to the power of branding and branding. Too bad
    Rodale are such poor stewards of that -- they're leaving a lot of money on
    the table.

    Matt O.

  12. joekhul said:

    Is it me or has Bicycling magazine gotten a little better in the past
    couple of years? I tried it some years ago, but it appeared to me that
    it was a flashy magazine designed for extreme(!) young guys and I
    found no value in it and didn't miss it one iota. But in the last
    couple of years I've been getting it whether I want it or not because
    I send money to some bicycling organization (there's a couple I donate
    to -- it might be Cyclist.org...I don't know); and I see now there's
    some useful articles in each issue or at least in their sidebars; and
    now I find I do enjoy some of the articles.

    I don't know -- what do you all think?

    Yeah, well, I generally agree with most of the responses here. I too
    quickly peruse Bicycling and then flip it in the employee magzine rack
    at work. (Where my current issue is now). As for pg. 136 of the
    current issue (5 Things To Make You Faster), I don't even see those
    type of write-ups -- it goes past over me like commercials on TV.
    (Though I read it this time because it was mentioned here). I did
    though enjoy the blurb about Lance Armstrong opening up that super-
    bike shop in Austin.

    And as for the actor and his wife/girlfriend bicycling and being noted
    in the last issue; I too had to shake my head when all Bicycling
    mentioned was his name and that they weren't wearing helmets. I
    thought -- "That's all they could come up with?!"

    The other group I belong to is Adventure Cycling. They've got a pretty
    good magazine and have well written articles that are enjoyable and
    worth reading. I wish though that a lot of these groups would simply
    place their subscriptions online and you download them as pdf files.
    This way you don't need a hardcopy and you can save one or two years
    worth of magazines on one CD disk. (And of course they'd be very
    portable this way).

  13. From: [email hidden]

    Quoted message said:

    Well, it's a matter of taste, I'm sure.
    IMO, it's better largely because there
    wasn't much way for it to get worse.
    They've had a few interesting articles
    lately. But the emphasis is still 90% on
    "Shave 0.002% off your next time trial!!!"
    or "Use these exercises to get sexy
    legs!!!!!" or "THIS is the piece of
    expensive equipment you've GOT to
    buy!!!!!"

    Quoted message said:

    Page 136 of the current issue has "5
    THINGS TO MAKE YOU FASTER"
    (Emphasis theirs).   Total cost? Well
    over $2500. That's for a wheelset, $80
    worth of semi-edible goo, $360 worth of
    clothes (to make you faster!!!), a fancy
    speedometer, and - wait for it - ceramic
    bearings.

    Quoted message said:

    Briefly, the style of cycling they currently
    promote has never, ever appealed to me.
    But, as always, YMMV.

    Quoted message said:

    - Frank Krygowski

    My sentiments exactly. I get Adventure Cycling's (BikeCentennial's) mag,
    but AFAIC, the last really good commercial publication was Bicycle
    Rider.

    - -
    Compliments of:
    "Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"

    If you want to E-mail me use:
    ChrisZCorner "at" webtv "dot" net

    My website:
    http://geocities.com/czcorner

  14. From: [email hidden] (joekhul)

    Quoted message said:

    I wish though that a lot of these groups
    would simply place their subscriptions
    online and you download them as pdf
    files. This way you don't need a
    hardcopy and you can save one or two
    years worth of magazines on one CD
    disk. (And of course they'd be very
    portable this way).

    "Greener", too.

    - -
    Compliments of:
    "Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"

    If you want to E-mail me use:
    ChrisZCorner "at" webtv "dot" net

    My website:
    http://geocities.com/czcorner

  15. catzz66 said:

    I subscribe and pass it on to my family to read, but don't rely on it to
    learn anything deep about bikes, only to keep up with what's current. I
    have not really ever found a monthly bike magazine that interests me all
    that much. I'd rather be out riding.

    The British mag Cycling Plus is quite good. At least it was last time I
    looked at it. Articles about good rides, about how to pack well for
    touring, a few arts on the racing circuit, and plenty of just general
    good advice for all types of riders.

    Problem is, it costs an arm and a leg at the local specialty import
    newsstand, if they even have it in.

    --
    K.

    Lang may your lum reek.

  16. (Király) said:
    catzz66 said:

    I subscribe and pass it on to my family to read, but don't rely on it to
    learn anything deep about bikes, only to keep up with what's current.  I
    have not really ever found a monthly bikemagazinethat interests me all
    that much.  I'd rather be out riding.

    The British mag Cycling Plus is quite good.  At least it was last time I
    looked at it.  Articles about good rides, about how to pack well for
    touring, a few arts on the racing circuit, and plenty of just general
    good advice for all types of riders.

    Problem is, it costs an arm and a leg at the local specialty import
    newsstand, if they even have it in.

    --
    K.

    Lang may your lum reek.

    Thanks for that mention of Cycling Plus. I'll check it out. My local
    bookstore carries it though it's out right now, they're awaiting the
    next shipment. I'll check out a copy. I'm not big into magazines,
    that's why I wish they were online; but it's sometimes nice to have an
    informative mag laying about when you want to peruse your favorite
    pastime late at nights - especially when they have worthwhile articles.

  17. =v= They mentioned one of the best rides my group does!

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/jym/2454772800/

    <_Jym_>

  18. Quoted message said:

    I browsed a Bicycling Magazine publication in the used book
    store just today. There were step-by-step photographs and
    instructions for repairing tubular tires. It was a repair
    manual from ~1990. I'm guessing because I didn't look at
    the copyright or printing history

    =v= Yeah, they've published some nice repair books with lots
    of helpful photos. I learned a lot from them -- everything but
    truing wheels, which I learned from a community bikes zine.

    =v= Having lots of photos is a good approach.
    <_Jym_>

  19. joekhul wrote:
    ....

    Quoted message said:

    The folks I sent the money to is: League of American Bicyclists. They
    can be found at www.bikeleague.org

    Quoted message said:

    You become a member with them and you get subscribed to Bicycle
    magazine, plus you get a quarterly publication of American Bicyclist.

    As a Life Member of the L.A.W./B., I am stuck with a freebie sub to
    Buycycling until it goes to the great talk show in the sky. (Rodale
    Sr. reference.)

    American Bicyclist is the correct (current) name for the L.A.B.
    magazine. It was quarterly, now it's more frequent. (For some reason
    they send me two copies --now there's a way to boost circulation!--
    but I'm not getting up to check the stack.) If memory serves, members
    requested more publications per year, and they complied.

    Now if they'd just bring back the Editor's Scrapbook...compilations
    from bike club newsletters and fun stuff from throughout the
    country...

    --Karen D.
    there's a reason I know this

  20. Veloise said:


    American Bicyclist is the correct (current) name for the L.A.B.
    magazine. ...

    Now if they'd just bring back the Editor's Scrapbook...compilations
    from bike club newsletters and fun stuff from throughout the
    country...

    .... and ditch the "Any bike facility is a good bike facility" agenda!

    - Frank Krygowski

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.