Road Cycling · Public discussion

Bicycling statistics in Portland

Started by Email address hidden · · Last activity · 12 posts · 766 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
15 April 2006
Last activity
17 April 2006
Original author
Email address hidden
Posts
12
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
766
Views / 30 days
2

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–12 of 12
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I'm a college student in the process of gathering resources for a
    research paper. Because I often commute to my classes via bike, the
    choice of bicycle transportation was an obvious topic. To be specific,
    the topic is bike usage at my university (Portland State University).
    The university is in the middle of downtown Portland, Oregon, so
    commuting is very common. However, there's one very, very important
    resource that I can't find: statistics for bike use in Portland.

    I have found some statistics, but they have all been limited to what
    percentage of the general population ride bikes. I'm interested in
    more specific statistics, like why people ride and who rides. After
    all, paper is focused on bicycle *transportation*. Many sources have
    pointed me Bureau of Transportation Statistics, but I have had no lucky
    finding anything in there. Do you guys know where these types of
    resources are?

    Thanks for any help,
    Aaron DeVore

    P.S. I, of course, have the PSU library and an interlibrary loan system
    at my disposal.

  2. Quoted message said:

    I have found some statistics, but they have all been limited to what
    percentage of the general population ride bikes. I'm interested in
    more specific statistics, like why people ride and who rides. After
    all, paper is focused on bicycle *transportation*. Many sources have
    pointed me Bureau of Transportation Statistics, but I have had no lucky
    finding anything in there. Do you guys know where these types of
    resources are?

    Sounds like you need to get out on the street and actually do
    some research of your own. Why don't you station yourself near
    the bike lane at a major intersection and interview cyclists
    while they wait for the light to change?

  3. That was one of my thoughts when I first started out looking for this
    information, but I quickly realized that doing a survey of that sort
    wouldn't be a good idea. The biggest problem from the point of view of
    writing a good paper is that the results wouldn't be valid. For
    instance, the results would vary with time of day and where I would do
    the questioning. Suppose I was doing the survey at 3:30 PM on a Tuesday
    in downtown Portland while is was raining. Now suppose that I was
    taking a survey on a bike path at 3:30 PM on a nice, sunny Saturday.
    The former would probably get a greater-than-usual percentage of
    transportation bicyclists, while the latter would probably get a
    greater-than-usual amount of recreational bicyclists. Of course, if I
    was doing the survey at an intersection in downtown Portland then I
    wouldn't be doing the research essay; I'd be in the hospital. :-P

    I will be doing some surveying around the PSU campus, though. I just
    need to get a real survey from a reasonably official survey to be able
    to write the paper.

    Shalom,
    Aaron

  4. Quoted message said:

    I'm a college student in the process of gathering resources for a
    research paper. Because I often commute to my classes via bike, the
    choice of bicycle transportation was an obvious topic. To be specific,
    the topic is bike usage at my university (Portland State University).
    The university is in the middle of downtown Portland, Oregon, so
    commuting is very common. However, there's one very, very important
    resource that I can't find: statistics for bike use in Portland.

    I have found some statistics, but they have all been limited to what
    percentage of the general population ride bikes. I'm interested in
    more specific statistics, like why people ride and who rides. After
    all, paper is focused on bicycle *transportation*. Many sources have
    pointed me Bureau of Transportation Statistics, but I have had no lucky
    finding anything in there. Do you guys know where these types of
    resources are?

    Have you contacted the Bicycle Transportation Alliance in Portland?
    http://www.bta4bikes.org/

    - Frank Krygowski

  5. Yeah, I just emailed them yesterday, so it's going to take a couple of
    days. I guess I'll just continue on this thread if they don't have any
    stats. The wait is excruciating... :-P

    Dankon,
    Aaron DeVore

  6. TheVore said:


    I have found some statistics, but they have all been limited to what
    percentage of the general population ride bikes. I'm interested in
    more specific statistics, like why people ride and who rides. After
    all, paper is focused on bicycle *transportation*. Many sources have
    pointed me Bureau of Transportation Statistics, but I have had no lucky
    finding anything in there. Do you guys know where these types of
    resources are?

    I doubt that what you are looking for exists. You might not like it, but
    if you want the data, I think you will need to go out and put in the work
    (lots of work) to gather it.

    Talk to statisticians at your university for help in designing a sampling
    protocol that will yield reasonably valid and generalizable results. You
    shouldn't expect perfection, and no one else will either.

    HTH,

    Reid

  7. [email hidden] wrote:
    SNIP

    Does the City of Portland have a transportation or parking office? It
    is possible the agency there that is in charge of the local mass
    transit and bus systems may have some statistics. Alternatively, try
    the US Bureau of the Census -- they MAY keep that sort of statistic.
    Finally, see if there's a local branch of the League of American
    Bicyclists -- advocates for cycling LOVE to have numbers at hand when
    they make their pitch for funding. Beats being reduced to saying "biek
    racks downtown would be SO COOL."

    Robert Leone [email hidden]

  8. Ah, excellent ideas. Tri-met, Portland's local public transportation
    department, now has an email coming their way. I'll look into the
    League of American Bicyclists. I have an interview with a professor in
    the College of Urban Studies and Planning at Portland State University
    in the works, so I'll ask her during the interview.

    Merci,
    Aaron DeVore

  9. Somewhere, somehow, someone must have gathered the information I need.
    The Portland Metropolitan area has about 2 million people. Important
    urban planning and policies decisions are made that involve huge
    amounts of money and lots of concrete. If even one of these decisions
    required the statistics that I'm looking for then there would be the
    possibility that I could find the results. Besides, I don't have the
    time or knowledge to do any sort of a real survey. I'm just a college
    freshman; I have other classes to worry about.

    Cheers,
    Aaron DeVore

  10. Quoted message said:

    Somewhere, somehow, someone must have gathered the information I need.
    The Portland Metropolitan area has about 2 million people. Important
    urban planning and policies decisions are made that involve huge
    amounts of money and lots of concrete. If even one of these decisions
    required the statistics that I'm looking for then there would be the
    possibility that I could find the results. Besides, I don't have the
    time or knowledge to do any sort of a real survey. I'm just a college
    freshman; I have other classes to worry about.

    Cheers,
    Aaron DeVore

    If I understand correctly your report will be focused at least in part
    on bicycle usage on campus. If so, I'd suggest you start with the
    campus public safety department, especially if they register bikes on
    campus. Look at a single year's total bike registrations (that number
    is undoubtedly readily available), the number of bikes impounded as
    abandoned or unregistered (also readily available), and statistics on
    bicycle related citations issued (that total may or may not be readily
    available). That should give you a decent baseline.

    Regards,
    Bob Hunt

  11. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Quoted message said:

    Ah, excellent ideas. Tri-met, Portland's local public transportation
    department, now has an email coming their way. I'll look into the
    League of American Bicyclists. I have an interview with a professor in
    the College of Urban Studies and Planning at Portland State University
    in the works, so I'll ask her during the interview.

    Portland used to have a citizen's bicycle committee that (theoretically)
    kept the Transportation/city government advised on bicycle related
    matters (I was on it, many years ago). Have you checked out what might
    be available -- at least in terms of contacts -- via the city's web
    pages? Also- the Portland Wheelmen Touring Club may also have some
    Portland-specific information.

    -f
    --

  12. Quoted message said:

    That was one of my thoughts when I first started out looking for this
    information, but I quickly realized that doing a survey of that sort
    wouldn't be a good idea. The biggest problem from the point of view of
    writing a good paper is that the results wouldn't be valid. For
    instance, the results would vary with time of day and where I would do
    the questioning. Suppose I was doing the survey at 3:30 PM on a Tuesday
    in downtown Portland while is was raining. Now suppose that I was
    taking a survey on a bike path at 3:30 PM on a nice, sunny Saturday.

    Well you are supposed to be doing a research paper. I agree with
    Dennis. All of the issues you raise are precisely what you can solve by
    a well designed survey. That way you would have a chance to learn about
    survey design, sampling and all the other imprtant aspects of being
    able to get data where none exists. The point is to get valid data and
    it is quite achievable.

    If your solution is to simply find extant data and parrot it back to
    your instructor I don't see what you would be learning about conducting
    research.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.