Quoted message said:Quoted message said:I must say, I am extremely confused about this whole Bigha thing, from
the
Quoted message said:Quoted message said:name to everything else it really does seem like a big joke, only I
don't
Quoted message said:Quoted message said:get it.
"jim h" replied:
Quoted message said:My take on it is that it's just what it appears to be. Some former BikeE people are behind it,
they found there wasn't enough money in low-end recumbents, so this time they're going all the way
to the other end of the spectrum. There may be a market there, but it probably doesn't include a
lot
Quoted message said:of current 'bent nuts like us who read Usenet postings. Other posters
used
Quoted message said:the "Sharper Image" metaphor and that may be appropriate. While the
machine
Quoted message said:might not seem cost-effective to us, its uniqueness and the flashy electronics may appeal to
well-heeled buyers who like the high-tech image.
BikeE lost the goodwill of the dealers so they're going to direct sales.
Who
Quoted message said:knows, it may work and the people who buy the machines may end up liking them.
There is some sense in this approach. For years, I've wondered about the possibility of building
slick, high-end bikes designed to appeal to the wealthy.
There is a magical thing that happens when you create something visually appealing: People want it.
They don't ask the price. They ask "when can you deliver one to me?" At some point, industrial
design crosses over into the space occupied by art. Think Aeron chair. Think Spacelander fiberglass
bikes. People respond very powerfully to beautiful design.
For example: Personal computers are cheap - under $400 these days. Yet that doesn't stop Apple from
selling truckloads of $2,000+ and even $3,000+ desktop computers. PC fans laugh at the slow CPU
clock speeds on the Apple computers. Apple fans don't care; because CPU speed wasn't their primary
reason for buying. They bought a Macintosh as a digital lifestyle appliance, visual centerpiece and
fulfillment of a personal aesthetic. Commodity PC's simply cannot compete in that space.
Can I just say it? Most US-built recumbents are ugly. Really ugly. European 'bents, on the other
hand, are quite beautiful. Outside the US, where people actually ride bikes for transportation,
there are numerous boutique mfr's of beautiful high-end bikes (DF and 'bent) aimed at the wealthier
classes. It's not surprising that Americans might find this odd: Americans think that bikes are
toys. They buy them at WalMart and Toys R Us. That needs to change, and Bigha is definitely aiming
to change it. It's about time.
Another way of looking at it is that bikes are cheap compared to cars. Even a $3,000 bike is dirt
cheap compared to *any* new car. For people living in gated retirement communities in the sunbelt, a
beautiful, comfortable, health-promoting, fun, unique Bigha recumbent makes sense. Hey, what else
are you going to do with all that money? Buying cool toys is a pretty sure bet.
There is definitely a market for Bigha. I agree about the name, though: It's just wrong, and so is
the marketing message. I don't like the website, either (and I design websites for a living). They
need to work on that. Flash can be pretty annoying; but that's not the problem in this case. I would
have gone with something sleek and conservatively austere like the Mercedes Benz website, which is
one of the best I've ever seen. www.mercedes.com
I also think that having the fan club blog on the website is a bad idea, unless they plan to remove
negative comments. That might tend to backfire. Better to stay perched upon the mountaintop and
periodically sprinkle a few new products to the swooning fans the way that Steve Jobs does at Apple
Computer. Mr. Jobs is all but inaccessible until MacWorld, and then he's there to work his marketing
magic. Bigha probably knows all about the Apple phenomenon, and might even emulate it to some
degree. They need a figurehead - a colorful spokesperson who can get a lot of press coverage, and
create a mystique around this guy.
We should wish Bigha the best of luck. They are elevating the standards for recumbent aesthetic in
the US, and attempting to create an entirely new market. This is a very good thing
-Barry