Bike Across Antarctica

In article
<[email protected]>, treynolds@my-
deja.com says...
> http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/science/04/12/pole.highway.a-
> p/index.html
>
> At I read the above article, I kept thinking about riding
> across this 1000 mile road. Sort of an extreme Ididabike
> (sp?) challenge.

It's not actually across Antarctica; it's just from the
coast to the South Pole station, so you'd have to either do
an out-and-back, or continue on with no road

> Do you think I ride too much?

There's no such thing...

--
Remove the ns_ from if replying by e-mail (but keep posts in
the newsgroups if possible).

"Thomas Reynolds" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/science/04/12/pole.highway.a-
> p/index.html
>
> At I read the above article, I kept thinking about riding
> across this 1000 mile road. Sort of an extreme Ididabike
> (sp?) challenge.

Wow. My tax dollars at work. A $20mm road that will be used
maybe 3 times a year, which will allow travellers to cover
in 30 days to do what an airplane will do in a few hours.

Plus, it will encourage tourism in a very fragile area,
by people who are wealthier than they are prudent. (Just
like Everest, but at least the natives can make a living
off of it.)

On the other hand, I would get a chance to see if it's
possible to see if a pair of Nokian studded tires ever wear
out.

In article
<[email protected]>, MikeKr@mouse-
potato.com says...
> "Thomas Reynolds" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/science/04/12/pole.highway-
> > .ap/index.html
> >
> > At I read the above article, I kept thinking about
> > riding across this 1000 mile road. Sort of an extreme
> > Ididabike (sp?) challenge.
> >
> Wow. My tax dollars at work. A $20mm road that will be
> used maybe 3 times a year, which will allow travellers
> to cover in 30 days to do what an airplane will do in a
> few hours.

Given what it costs to fly C-130's, it will probably be much
cheaper to send a convoy of tractors down the highway than
running several flights per day for 3 months to the airstrip
to carry the same amount of cargo.

Remove the ns_ from if replying by e-mail (but keep posts in
the newsgroups if possible).

>> Wow. My tax dollars at work. A $20mm road that will be
>> used maybe 3 times a year, which will allow travellers
>> to cover in 30 days to do what an airplane will do in a
>> few hours.
>
> Given what it costs to fly C-130's, it will probably be
> much cheaper to send a convoy of tractors down the highway
> than running several flights per day for 3 months to the
> airstrip to carry the same amount of cargo.

This might remain open for the large amount of the year that
the flights DO NOT RUN.

--
William H. O'Hara KB1IUB use QRZ.com for address lookup

During the 6 month night, it is much colder and you could
easily fall into a crevice that are opening all the time.

"William H. O'Hara, III" wrote: <snip>
> This might remain open for the large amount of the year
> that the flights DO NOT RUN.

In article
<[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> >> Wow. My tax dollars at work. A $20mm road that will be
> >> used maybe 3 times a year, which will allow travellers
> >> to cover in 30 days to do what an airplane will do in a
> >> few hours.
> >
> > Given what it costs to fly C-130's, it will probably be
> > much cheaper to send a convoy of tractors down the
> > highway than running several flights per day for 3
> > months to the airstrip to carry the same amount of
> > cargo.
>
> This might remain open for the large amount of the year
> that the flights DO NOT RUN.

Good point.

--

"Mike Kruger" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Wow. My tax dollars at work. A $20mm road that will be
> used maybe 3 times a year, which will allow travellers
> to cover in 30 days to do what an airplane will do in a
> few hours.

Without major scientific and technical efforts to harness
society's restless energy in a productive way, folks would
just use the same resources doing stupid and destructive things--
like, say, getting into pointless and unwinnable wars on
maliciously false pretexts.

Roads to nowhere are much, much cheaper.

Chalo Colina

Very nice!

Might be a safe place to put the Bush junta to work after
flushing them out of office come November.

--

Steve Juniper "Change is inevitable. Growth is optional."

"Chalo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
"Mike Kruger" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Wow. My tax dollars at work. A $20mm road that will be
> used maybe 3 times
> year, which will allow travellers to cover in 30 days to
> do what an
airplane

Thomas Reynolds wrote:
> http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/science/04/12/pole.highway.a-
> p/index.html
>
> At I read the above article, I kept thinking about riding
> across this 1000 mile road. Sort of an extreme Ididabike
> (sp?) challenge.

Ididabike or Idiot-on-a-bike? Good luck.

By the way, the road only goes half way across Antarctica.
Then you need to turn around and ride 1000 miles back to
the coast.

[email protected] wrote:

> Thomas Reynolds wrote:
>> http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/science/04/12/pole.highway.-
>> ap/index.html
>>
>> At I read the above article, I kept thinking about riding
>> across this 1000 mile road. Sort of an extreme Ididabike
>> (sp?) challenge.
>
> Ididabike or Idiot-on-a-bike? Good luck.
>
> By the way, the road only goes half way across Antarctica.
> Then you need to turn around and ride 1000 miles back to
> the coast.

Yeah, but the return trip would be mostly downhill.

Matt O.