Bike Alarm

Fergus Flanagan

Guest
Would anybody know of a motion sensor which would upon detection of movement transmit a signal to a
receiver up to 100 metres away? The application would be say attaching the sensor to a cycle cover
so that if anyone lifted (possible theft) the cover it would activate.

Thanks for any help or suggestions Fergus

--
::::: Only riders understand why dogs love to stick their heads out of car
windows. :::::

"Fergus Flanagan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Would anybody know of a motion sensor which would upon detection of
movement
> transmit a signal to a receiver up to 100 metres away? The application
would
> be say attaching the sensor to a cycle cover so that if anyone lifted (possible theft) the cover
> it would activate.

You would then proceed to your bike and find it missing, what then?

--
Mike W

The sensor could be used if attached to a garage door, a bike frame, a cover, the list is endless.
Any movement and the sensor would trigger a signal on a handheld receiver to indicate possible
tampering, it is assumed that if you are within 100 metres you can get to the bike quick enough to
deter possible loss of bike or parts but if like Mike you use a cheap lock then its a case of tough
sh#t and the thief will probably have made off with your bike. Like many who are renting flats it is
not possible to have the bike in the flat with them and some of these bikes are our pride and joy
and often the have to be kept outside. Ideally kept under say a motorcycle cover or tarpaulin but
either way this would be a handy device to have unless your name is Mike?

Cheers Fergus

news:[email protected]...

VisionSet wrote:
> > Would anybody know of a motion sensor which would upon detection of
> movement
> > transmit a signal to a receiver up to 100 metres away?

> You would then proceed to your bike and find it missing,

Or peer out of the window and see the little scrotes, and be able to do something about it.

"Fergus Flanagan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Would anybody know of a motion sensor which would upon detection of
movement
> transmit a signal to a receiver up to 100 metres away? The application
would
> be say attaching the sensor to a cycle cover so that if anyone lifted (possible theft) the cover
> it would activate.

I made my own, using 2 binatone PMR 446 radios - one I carry like a normal walkie-talky and the
other is built into a box on the bike. I have a vibration switch trigger a monostable for 20
seconds, which closes a relay wired accross the 'call' button. I lock the bike as normal, say,
outside the pub or supermarket, turn the alarm on, and take the other handset with me. Should I hear
the tone, I know my bike is being diddled with. It has a 2KM range, and cost about forty quid. It
even warns you if the power is pulled by bleeping out of range.

Where you score is you get to catch the little gits manhandling you pride and joy - I've allready
re-educated a couple... you should see the look on their faces when you catch them.

I should have an article on the site by the weekend. I'll post the URL when I've done it.

Tim

--
Sent from Brum, UK... ...scheduled completion Sept 2003 'What's keeping the White House white? Is it
chalk, is it fog, is it fear?' Steve Skaith, 'America For Beginners' Look, mum, an anorak on a bike!

"VisionSet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> You would then proceed to your bike and find it missing, what then?

Duh. You still lock it, but you get the warning that someone is handling the bike.

Tim

--
Sent from Brum, UK... ...scheduled completion Sept 2003 'What's keeping the White House white? Is it
chalk, is it fog, is it fear?' Steve Skaith, 'America For Beginners' Look, mum, an anorak on a bike!
Check out www.nervouscyclist.org

In news:[email protected], Tim Dunne
<[email protected]> typed:

> I made my own, using 2 binatone PMR 446 radios - one I carry like a normal walkie-talky and the
> other is built into a box on the bike. I have a vibration switch trigger a monostable for 20
> seconds, which closes a relay wired accross the 'call' button. I lock the bike as normal, say,
> outside the pub or supermarket, turn the alarm on, and take the other handset with me. Should I
> hear the tone, I know my bike is being diddled with. It has a 2KM range, and cost about forty
> quid. It even warns you if the power is pulled by bleeping out of range.

Heh! seems like a good 'un (these binatone sets are probably cheaper than even buying a 418MHz
evaluation kit and would have more range). Nor would it annoy the DTI / Ofcom, and you could take it
into most of the EU countries without hassle.

Only one (slight) issue - what about a joker who buys a similar set, "stalks" you and keeps keying
up the call button to have you running away from your pint to check on the bike every 5 minutes? I
would maybe find a cheap chip (perhaps like a musical doorbell type thing, or even a "record your
own message" chip with the output feeding into the external mic socket - so you have a unique
identifier noise [1] for your bike rather than any yahoo mucking around with a 446 set

Alex
[1] Frame number on a synthesised voice chip? Hmm, that would be one for Simon M's website :)

"Mr R@t (2.3 zulu-alpha) [comms room new build]" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:xpx4a.2352$%[email protected]...

> Only one (slight) issue - what about a joker who buys a similar set, "stalks" you and keeps keying
> up the call button to have you running away from your pint to check on the bike every 5 minutes? I
> would maybe find a cheap chip (perhaps like a musical doorbell type thing, or even a "record your
> own message" chip with the output feeding into the external mic socket - so you have a unique
> identifier noise [1] for your bike rather
than
> any yahoo mucking around with a 446 set

*chuckles*

With what is effectively 300+ channels, they'd have to find me, first. And if they're that
dedicated, they can have the bike, they're scary...

Tim
--
Sent from Brum, UK... ...scheduled completion Sept 2003 'What's keeping the White House white? Is it
chalk, is it fog, is it fear?' Steve Skaith, 'America For Beginners' Look, mum, an anorak on a bike!
Check out www.nervouscyclist.org

In news:[email protected], Tim Dunne
<[email protected]> typed:

And if they're that dedicated, they can have the bike, they're
> scary...

I was thinking more of one of your friends / acquaintances / drinking partners playing a joke on you
(who would *know* your haunts and perhaps be able to find out your preferred channel), rather than
random mentalists with scanners trying to trace it. From reading your site I get the impression you
are an engineer / hacker / techie of some sort. I guess many of your friends are, as well. I *know*
the sort of sense of humour they have ;)

Alex

"Mr R@t (2.3 zulu-alpha) [comms room new build]" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:Mby4a.2442$%[email protected]...

> I was thinking more of one of your friends / acquaintances / drinking partners playing a joke on
> you (who would *know* your haunts and perhaps
be
> able to find out your preferred channel), rather than random mentalists
with
> scanners trying to trace it.

I was jesting. It's worth considering - I did wonder about that. I'll save it for the mark 2,
smaller and lighter version.

> From reading your site I get the impression you are an engineer / hacker / techie of some sort. I
> guess many of your
friends
> are, as well. I *know* the sort of sense of humour they have ;)

I'm an electrical engineer. Most of my mates are radio hams. Yes, they are nuts and they do have a
very *peculiar* sense of humour...

We don't know each other, do we.. ;-)

Tim

--
Sent from Brum, UK... ...scheduled completion Sept 2003 'What's keeping the White House white? Is it
chalk, is it fog, is it fear?' Steve Skaith, 'America For Beginners' Look, mum, an anorak on a bike!
Check out www.nervouscyclist.org

Excellent Tim, great initiative!!

Thats somewhere along the lines of where I wanted to go, this is a response from an electronics
forum which is I guess is along the lines of what you have just suggested....

A magnet and reed switch can be used to turn on a loud siren, and/or switch on an RF transmitter
(simple transistor oscillator and AM/FM transmitter), so you can use a cheap radio as your receiver.
The problem perhaps needs to be thought of in reverse:
- Where will the receiver be located (in a building, worn on the body, etc.)? This gives you an idea
of what frequency to use, and how sensitive and selective the receiver needs to be.
- What will power the circuit? I presume either a small battery or a connection to a motorcycle's
battery (I don't know what type of cycle you are describing - electric, gas (petro), or pedal
power?). Simple transmitter circuits are easy to find on the net, and a lot of RF
transmitter/receiver products are available in the 900 MHz and 2.4 GHz ranges (if memory serves
me right).

Another idea is this...... http://www.cy-curity.com/ but too noisey and bothersome to the neighbours
especially in the case of false alarms unless its parked up in the city during the day! but I am
sure many folk on this forum could use such a device.

I studied computer electronics in Uni about 6 years ago so not sure my skills are up to developiing
such a device but i won't give up. Ideally it would be great to have a motion detector which would
trigger a receiver of key fob size say within a 100metre range to alert you to the bike or bike
cover being tampered with so it gives you the chance to investigate possibly with your camera or
your fist depending on your persuasion either way its a great deterent if it could be worked.

Fergus

"Tim Dunne" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Mr R@t (2.3 zulu-alpha) [comms room new build]" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:Mby4a.2442$%[email protected]...
>
> > I was thinking more of one of your friends / acquaintances / drinking partners playing a joke on
> > you (who would *know* your haunts and perhaps
> be
> > able to find out your preferred channel), rather than random mentalists
> with
> > scanners trying to trace it.
>
> I was jesting. It's worth considering - I did wonder about that. I'll save it for the mark 2,
> smaller and lighter version.
>
> > From reading your site I get the impression you are an engineer / hacker / techie of some sort.
> > I guess many of your
> friends
> > are, as well. I *know* the sort of sense of humour they have ;)
>
> I'm an electrical engineer. Most of my mates are radio hams. Yes, they are nuts and they do have a
> very *peculiar* sense of humour...
>
> We don't know each other, do we.. ;-)
>
> Tim
>
> --
> Sent from Brum, UK... ...scheduled completion Sept 2003 'What's keeping the White House white? Is
> it chalk, is it fog, is it fear?' Steve Skaith, 'America For Beginners' Look, mum, an anorak on a
> bike! Check out www.nervouscyclist.org

"Fergus Flanagan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Excellent Tim, great initiative!!

Why, thank you. I always feel a tad inferior on URC, because I ride a bike most would be horrified
at and because I don't wear the gear - but I'm a keen cyclist and do put some thought into mods to
get the most out of my kit.

8<... good design reasoning

> I studied computer electronics in Uni about 6 years ago so not sure my skills are up to
> developiing such a device but i won't give up. Ideally it would be great to have a motion detector
> which would trigger a receiver of key fob size say within a 100metre range to alert you to the
> bike or bike cover being tampered with so it gives you the chance to investigate
possibly
> with your camera or your fist depending on your persuasion either way its
> great deterent if it could be worked.

My original idea (after looking at 418Mhz and such) was to use a cheapo PAYG mobile, and set it up
to dial me off a PIC or relay - but often I'm in poor reception areas. The Binatone MR500 I use as a
reciever at the moment is about the size of a small mobile, and works a treat. I just want to make
the unit on the bike smaller. Come the weekend I'll stick some details up on my site, and my ideas
for improvement. A requirement I had was that the alarm made no noise on the bike; it's so much more
satisfying to catch them unaware.

I'll post here when I have the page up.

Tim

--
Sent from Brum, UK... ...scheduled completion Sept 2003 'What's keeping the White House white? Is it
chalk, is it fog, is it fear?' Steve Skaith, 'America For Beginners' Look, mum, an anorak on a bike!
Check out www.nervouscyclist.org

"Fergus Flanagan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> ... either way this would be a handy device to have unless your name is Mike?

I agree, I was just being flippant.

I can't personally think it'd be much use to me, but I have thought the same thoughts. I suppose at
least knowing it's about to go walkies is better than nothing. Just need to keep the false alarms
down to a minimum to prevent the stress that only car commuters know about :-/

--
Mike W

Hmmm! Tim, You have obviously been pondering over this and definitely have more knowledge in the
area of electronics than I. Have done a little mucking around with Intel 8051 microcontrollers in
uni but thats more or less the extent of my electronics but have always been interested in this area
and hope to return as a hobbyist when I can find the time, could now be the time! Think I'll be
looking thru the Maplin & RS catalogues for some ideas. I agree about making the unit on the bike
smaller and possibly concealed in a seat tube or using a tamper proof bracket mounted externally.
Got to get my thinking cap on, can't wait to see your idea on your site, simple but effective (for
hobbyists that is). I guess at the end of the day is to have an inconspicous transmitter, which can
be used to detect movement on whatever you attach it to. When activated the transmitter will signal
the receiver. The transmitter could i assume effectively use the bike frame as an antennae/aerial?
(which one refers to what is usually mounted on a transmitter, could never remember?). Anyway alot
to think about.

> [...]

> I made my own, using 2 binatone PMR 446 radios - one I carry like a normal walkie-talky and
> the other is built into a box on the bike. I have a vibration switch trigger a monostable for
> 20 seconds, which closes a relay wired accross the 'call' button. I lock the bike as normal,
> say, outside
the
> pub or supermarket, turn the alarm on, and take the other handset with me. Should I hear the tone,
> I know my bike is being diddled with. It has a 2KM range, and cost about forty quid. It even warns
> you if the power is pulled by bleeping out of range.
>
> Where you score is you get to catch the little gits manhandling you pride and joy - I've allready
> re-educated a couple... you should see the look on their faces when you catch them.
>
> I should have an article on the site by the weekend. I'll post the URL

This is a nice idea. We are currently moving office and my bike may have to be outside in front of
the office at the new place. One of those wireless doorbell chimes wired to a vibration switch
(£2.49 - £3.99) at Maplin may be the answer with the receiver on my desk - should be in range. Would
probably need a master on/off on the transmitter as well as whilst riding it would constantly be
sending thus killing the battery. Sound good?

Tim Dunne <[email protected]> wrote:

> Why, thank you. I always feel a tad inferior on URC, because I ride a bike most would be horrified
> at and because I don't wear the gear
Mine is almost 20 years old, (I don't count the £100 Saracen as a bike) and I cant even fit into
most of the gear!

"Tim Dunne" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>... <snip>
> A requirement I had was that the alarm made no noise on the bike; it's so much more satisfying to
> catch them unaware.

Oh I think you can improve on that, after all, you're using a two-way radio so you could leave the
speaker attached to the unit on the bike. I'm sure any thief would drop the bike pretty quickly if
the bike suddenly said "He's on the bike, right, he's taken the bait, units 2, 4 and 5 move in now,
now, now!" If he's within sight then a running commentary on his every mose should have get him
worried too :)

Have fun!

Graeme