UK and Europe · Public discussion

Bike Carrier on Ferry

Started by David · · Last activity · 7 posts · 734 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
25 June 2004
Last activity
26 June 2004
Original author
David
Posts
7
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
734
Views / 30 days
4

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–7 of 7
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I want to take a couple of bikes on channel ferry on a cycle
    rack (not yet bought). Does this incur any extra hassle or
    charges on the channel ferries ?

    Do I need to tell them in advance Help appreciated Dave

  2. Quoted message said:

    I want to take a couple of bikes on channel ferry on a
    cycle rack (not yet bought). Does this incur any extra
    hassle or charges on the channel ferries ?

    Do I need to tell them in advance Help appreciated Dave

    When we've used the ferry and had bike carrier on back of
    car - we've always said so in advance and given the length
    of vehicle + carrier. Never incurred and problems and no
    extra charges. We've used Norfolk Line and the Sea Cat

    Cheers, helen s

    --This is an invalid email address to avoid spam-- to get
    correct one remove fame & fortune
    h*$el*$$e*nd**$o$ts**i*$*$m*m$o*n*s@$*a$o*l.c**$om$

    --Due to financial crisis the light at the end of the tunnel
    is switched off--

  3. David said:

    I want to take a couple of bikes on channel ferry on a
    cycle rack (not yet bought). Does this incur any extra
    hassle or charges on the channel ferries ?

    Do I need to tell them in advance Help appreciated Dave

    On top or behind?

    Tony

  4. On 25 Jun 2004 01:00:12 -0700, [email hidden] (David)

    wrote in message : said:

    I want to take a couple of bikes on channel ferry on a
    cycle rack (not yet bought). Does this incur any extra
    hassle or charges on the channel ferries ?

    We were not charged extra for a four-bike rack on the back
    plus a triplet on the roof - which meant we had to travel
    with the oversize vehicles. That was P&O, I think.

    Quoted message said:

    Do I need to tell them in advance

    It's best to, but for a two-bike rack probably unnecessary
    unless it takes you over the standard car length. Our 4-bike
    rack makes the overall length of the car over 18ft, so we
    had to tell them.

    Guy
    --
    May contain traces of irony. Contents liable to settle after
    posting. chapmancentral.co.ukchapmancentral.co.uk

    88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at
    Washington University

  5. "Tony Raven" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:
    David said:

    I want to take a couple of bikes on channel ferry on a
    cycle rack (not yet bought). Does this incur any extra
    hassle or charges on the channel ferries ?

    Do I need to tell them in advance Help appreciated Dave

    On top or behind?

    Tony

    That was the "not yet bought" bit, I am just about to buy a
    car and cycle carrier, as I have been loading them into the
    back of an estate car. Its likely to be a newish Golf. I'd
    like to know the pros n cons of the different carrier
    types. I will cross the channel quite frequently with them.
    All I know is thta if I put them on a roof rack , one day,
    one day, I will drive into a multistorey with the bikes
    still on the roof.

    Thx Dave

  6. On 25 Jun 2004 09:04:11 -0700, [email hidden] (David)

    wrote in message : said:

    That was the "not yet bought" bit, I am just about to buy a
    car and cycle carrier, as I have been loading them into the
    back of an estate car. Its likely to be a newish Golf. I'd
    like to know the pros n cons of the different carrier
    types. I will cross the channel quite frequently with them.
    All I know is thta if I put them on a roof rack , one day,
    one day, I will drive into a multistorey with the bikes
    still on the roof.

    The best sort are the ones which mount on a towball (which
    means having a towbar fitted, of course). Certainly that's
    what I'd recommend for long distance trips.

    Guy
    --
    May contain traces of irony. Contents liable to settle after
    posting. chapmancentral.co.ukchapmancentral.co.uk

    88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at
    Washington University

  7. In message
    <[email hidden]>, "Just zis
    Guy, you know?" <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:

    On 25 Jun 2004 09:04:11 -0700, [email hidden]
    (David) wrote in message
    <[email hidden]>:

    Quoted message said:

    That was the "not yet bought" bit, I am just about to buy
    a car and cycle carrier, as I have been loading them into
    the back of an estate car. Its likely to be a newish Golf.
    I'd like to know the pros n cons of the different carrier
    types. I will cross the channel quite frequently with
    them. All I know is thta if I put them on a roof rack ,
    one day, one day, I will drive into a multistorey with the
    bikes still on the roof.

    The best sort are the ones which mount on a towball (which
    means having a towbar fitted, of course). Certainly that's
    what I'd recommend for long distance trips.


    Yep, that's what I'll be going for in the future, these have
    a good selection and very good service:

    <http://www.roofbox.co.uk/>

    and yes, I've done the bikes on the roof meets a too low
    obstruction thing as well when I revered up the drive and
    tried to go under the carport.....

    Rear of saddle hit the carport, didn't seem to damage the
    bike surprisingly (I expected bent, forks, or head tube
    area) but bent the roof bar (good steel Thule ones, not
    cheapies) and dented the roof where the clamp feet rested.
    --
    Chris French, Leeds

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.