Triathlon · Public discussion

bike cases & luggage limits

Started by Eric · · Last activity · 6 posts · 921 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Triathlon
Published
29 September 2005
Last activity
30 September 2005
Original author
Eric
Posts
6
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
921
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–6 of 6
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I was about to purchase a bike case for flying, but when I asked Delta,
    they wrote me that 80 inches was the limit... and the cases I viewed
    were 87 inches total?
    What's up?
    Eric

  2. Eric said:

    I was about to purchase a bike case for flying, but when I asked Delta,
    they wrote me that 80 inches was the limit... and the cases I viewed
    were 87 inches total?
    What's up?
    Eric

    We have bike cases - pedal pack and tri-all-3 - we travel frequently
    from Uk to USA and wihin Europe with them. We have to pay for them on
    european flightabout 20GBP - when we fly to USA they are taken as one
    piece of luggage and we are allowed 2 pieces per person - so we do NOT
    have to pay. However, Delta ALWAYS charge for the carriage of bikes,
    but they don'tcharge for golf clubs, surf boartds, etc...I have had
    many heated discussion with them and now will not fly with them. I
    would rather pay a higher air fare than buy into their unfair
    practices's. Sport discrimination!!!!!!!!

  3. Jacqueline Riley said:
    Eric said:

    I was about to purchase a bike case for flying, but when I asked Delta,
    they wrote me that 80 inches was the limit... and the cases I viewed
    were 87 inches total?
    What's up?
    Eric

    We have bike cases - pedal pack and tri-all-3 - we travel frequently
    from Uk to USA and wihin Europe with them. We have to pay for them on
    european flightabout 20GBP - when we fly to USA they are taken as one
    piece of luggage and we are allowed 2 pieces per person - so we do NOT
    have to pay. However, Delta ALWAYS charge for the carriage of bikes,
    but they don'tcharge for golf clubs, surf boartds, etc...I have had
    many heated discussion with them and now will not fly with them. I
    would rather pay a higher air fare than buy into their unfair
    practices's. Sport discrimination!!!!!!!!

    Quite true (of Delta). I find that you need to arrive at the airport
    armed with the documentation that you will need to short-circuit and
    argument from your ticketing agent.

    I have also heard it suggested that you should disguise your bike case
    to look like a convention kiosk case; don't put race stickers all over
    it.

    rsquared

  4. Eric said:

    I was about to purchase a bike case for flying, but when I asked Delta,
    they wrote me that 80 inches was the limit... and the cases I viewed
    were 87 inches total?

    Eric, try to get yourself a Scicon case, they are the best and not
    rectangular. Its still debateable that it fits within the limit, but
    looks smaller and fits in the trunc of many mid-size US cars. See the
    article below for pictures!

    I wrote this which is pretty comprehensive:
    http://www.tri-force.org/flying_with_bikes.html

    My road bike is already packed and waiting to do this years LAF Ride
    for the Roses century. I bombed out last year at 99.5 miles, really!
    What a nightmare. If you would like to donate to the LAF and their work
    in chairty feel free to sponsor me, this year I will finish. 90 degrees
    is too hot for a cyclist from the UK!
    http://www.livejournal.com/users/triman/38867.html

    Whoopee... riding my TT bike at this Sundays Jones Beach, NY
    triathlon... anyone else from RST racing?

  5. http://www.tri-force.org/db_DSC00398.jpg for just the picture!

  6. Cincinnati is a Delta hub... hard to get a flight from any other airline
    out of here... and yes I agree, Delta can be total [censored]

    rsquared said:
    Jacqueline Riley said:
    Eric said:

    I was about to purchase a bike case for flying, but when I asked Delta,
    they wrote me that 80 inches was the limit... and the cases I viewed
    were 87 inches total?
    What's up?
    Eric

    We have bike cases - pedal pack and tri-all-3 - we travel frequently
    from Uk to USA and wihin Europe with them. We have to pay for them on
    european flightabout 20GBP - when we fly to USA they are taken as one
    piece of luggage and we are allowed 2 pieces per person - so we do NOT
    have to pay. However, Delta ALWAYS charge for the carriage of bikes,
    but they don'tcharge for golf clubs, surf boartds, etc...I have had
    many heated discussion with them and now will not fly with them. I
    would rather pay a higher air fare than buy into their unfair
    practices's. Sport discrimination!!!!!!!!

    Quite true (of Delta). I find that you need to arrive at the airport
    armed with the documentation that you will need to short-circuit and
    argument from your ticketing agent.

    I have also heard it suggested that you should disguise your bike case
    to look like a convention kiosk case; don't put race stickers all over
    it.

    rsquared

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.