Bike Computers

Damian Parker

Guest
Hi Everyone

I'm looking to get myself a new bike computer and I want to know what you are all using and how
you rate it.

I'm currently looking a Sigma is it the 1600?? I cant remember exactly. I know CatEye do some, but
dont know how good they are.

Thanks

Damian Parker Damosoft www.damosoft.co.uk

> I'm currently looking a Sigma is it the 1600?? I cant remember exactly. I know CatEye do some, but
> dont know how good they are.

I've got a sigma. Not sure which model, one of the lower-mid range ones and it's fine. It seems
reasonable accurate, clips on and off easily. Not much more I can say about it. My only advice would
be decide which features you want and get one that suits. The only features I use are current speed,
total distance and trip distance. It doesn't have average speed which would be nice, but thats easy
enough to calculate.

>I know CatEye do some, but dont know how good they are.

I've had a Cateye Cordless 7 since October 2002. It has not failed me (apart from when the magnet
slipped down its spoke once).

No wires!

Cool.

Simonb

Damian Parker wrote:
> I'm currently looking a Sigma is it the 1600?? I cant remember exactly. I know CatEye do some, but
> dont know how good they are.

Cateye Mity 3 is very good: the best basic-type one I've ever used: clear display, reliable,
virtially no annoyances. They also do cadence & cordless models.

~PB

Simon,

Your wireless one, does it automatically wake up when you start moving. I did have an old wireless
one, but you had to press a button to wake it up before you started riding. Half way on my journey
I'd realise the thing was off, so annoying!

"Simonb" <sbennettatwiderworlddotcodotuk> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> >I know CatEye do some, but dont know how good they are.
>
> I've had a Cateye Cordless 7 since October 2002. It has not failed me
(apart
> from when the magnet slipped down its spoke once).
>
> No wires!
>
> Cool.
>
> Simonb

Sounds like the one Ive got at the moment. Sigma 500 I think it is. black unit with a blue button
for features and a yellow button for resetting trip distance.

"Johnny Klunk" <johnnyklunk@:rem0ve-this:johnnyklunk.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> > I'm currently looking a Sigma is it the 1600?? I cant remember exactly.
> > know CatEye do some, but dont know how good they are.
>

> I've got a sigma. Not sure which model, one of the lower-mid range ones
and
> it's fine. It seems reasonable accurate, clips on and off easily. Not
much
> more I can say about it. My only advice would be decide which features
you
> want and get one that suits. The only features I use are current speed, total distance and trip
> distance. It doesn't have average speed which
would
> be nice, but thats easy enough to calculate.

> Simon,
>
> Your wireless one, does it automatically wake up when you start moving. I did have an old wireless
> one, but you had to press a button to wake it up before you started riding. Half way on my journey
> I'd realise the thing was off, so annoying!

Yes. It starts automatically.

"Johnny Klunk" <johnnyklunk@:rem0ve-this:johnnyklunk.com> writes:

>> I'm currently looking a Sigma is it the 1600?? I cant remember exactly. I know CatEye do some,
>> but dont know how good they are.

>I've got a sigma. Not sure which model, one of the lower-mid range ones and it's fine. It seems
>reasonable accurate, clips on and off easily. Not much more I can say about it. My only advice
>would be decide which features you want and get one that suits. The only features I use are current
>speed, total distance and trip distance. It doesn't have average speed which would be nice, but
>thats easy enough to calculate.

Not if you want the avrage which many supply, the average speed *excluding* stops such as
traffic lights.
--
Chris Malcolm [email protected] +44 (0)131 650 3085 School of Artificial Intelligence, Division of
Informatics Edinburgh University, 5 Forrest Hill, Edinburgh, EH1 2QL, UK

Pete Biggs wrote:

> Damian Parker wrote:
>
>>I'm currently looking a Sigma is it the 1600?? I cant remember exactly. I know CatEye do some, but
>>dont know how good they are.
>

> Cateye Mity 3 is very good: the best basic-type one I've ever used: clear display, reliable,
> virtially no annoyances. They also do cadence & cordless models.

My personal experience is good with Cateyes and bad with Sigmas. I had a pair of Cateye computers
that lasted around five years on two different bikes.

Current computer is a Sigma BC800, 16 months old. Last thursday I had just (finally) done 10,000km
when the push button snapped in half and fell out two minutes later!

Previous Sigma a couple of years ago lasted three days before I took it back to the shop, I was sick
of it falling off the mounting bracket on the potholes in my street. Swapped it for a credit voucher
and a book.

A no-name 10 pound one that I bought somewhere in the UK last time I was touring used to reset
itself to all flashing zeros every day or so.

> ~PB

Adrian

Adrian Tritschler mailto:[email protected] Latitude 38°S, Longitude 145°E,
Altitude 50m, Shoe size 44

Damian Parker wrote:

> I'm looking to get myself a new bike computer and I want to know what you are all using and how
> you rate it.

I have a Several of CatEye Astrales, which measure cadence as well as the usual functions, and comes
with a long enough wire that it can be used without modification on recumbents. Or rather it did, as
I understand the new model doesn't, chiz. No problems with any of them.

Once had a basic Avocet which was fine except for wonky connection between the wire and the sensor,
but a pair of Vetta C-15's were most likely assembled by Minions of Stan, given that they conked out
within a couple of months.

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

Simonb <sbennettatwiderworlddotcodotuk> wrote:
>No wires!

Anyone have any info on which cordless models are better at rejecting 'noise'? I broke my last
computer a few months back when I went over the handlebars[*] and forget offhand whether it was a
Cateye or Sigma... Overall it seemed pretty good, but it did suffer from obviously bogus readings
from time to time. For example whenever I stopped to swipe my (cordless) pass at work the pulses
from the doorpad would make it read something ludicrous like 95mph, which would persist even after
I'd moved past the pad, until it got a 'real' pulse from the wheel magnet. Doesn't take very many
seconds of that kind of reading to screw your averages and trip lengths up.

It could get into the same state while I was waiting at the lights too, if I was rocking back and
forth and the magnet happened to be near the sensor...

Pete. [*] 3 causal factors to that spill, 2 of them my own fault, so a Valuable Lesson to me... Lazy
maintenance meant my back brakes weren't very effective, then I was in the wrong place at the wrong
speed and then a black cab driver opened a door right in front of me. I overreacted, locked the
front wheel and somersaulted "gracefully" past the elderly cabbie. Damage limited to pride, a bit of
road rash and a bruised thumb, for some reason my bell got utterly destroyed, the computer was
damaged but struggled on for a few weeks in a "Westworld" kind of fashion. The records in my
backpack were fine though. :)

Scrub all that. My Cateye Cordless 3 (now called Cordless 7) has gone on the blink. No readings! Not
battery related, I've swapped out batteries (in the transmitter and receiver) to no avail.

I had a wireless Cateye which also just died. I don't think wireless are worth bothering with-I mean
its not such a big deal with the cable down the fork Plus you need another battery at the fork
end(doh!) Of course don't buy one that doesn't start when you move.

I had one stolen off my bike when I didn't take it off-probably vandalism

"David Wood" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> I had a wireless Cateye which also just died. I don't think wireless are worth bothering with-I
> mean its not such a big deal with the cable down
the
> fork Plus you need another battery at the fork end(doh!) Of course don't buy one that doesn't
> start when you move.
>
> I had one stolen off my bike when I didn't take it off-probably vandalism
>

> "Simonb" <sbennettatwiderworlddotcodotuk> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Scrub all that. My Cateye Cordless 3 (now called Cordless 7) has gone on
> the
> > blink. No readings! Not battery related, I've swapped out batteries (in
> the
> > transmitter and receiver) to no avail.

I have just changed the batteries in my £13 wireless Equus from Edinburgh Bike Co-op - first time in
4 years. Great wee thing.

Pete Bentley wrote:
> Simonb <sbennettatwiderworlddotcodotuk> wrote:
>> No wires!
>
> Anyone have any info on which cordless models are better at rejecting 'noise'?

Also which ones are better at not interfering with the Heart Monitor you got for your birthday and
has a strange habit of showing a HR of > 200 whenever I go > 25 mph freewheeling down hill?

--
Andy Morris

AndyAtJinkasDotFreeserve.Co.UK

> >I've got a sigma. Not sure which model, one of the lower-mid range ones
and
> >it's fine. It seems reasonable accurate, clips on and off easily. Not
much
> >more I can say about it. My only advice would be decide which features
you
> >want and get one that suits. The only features I use are current speed, total distance and trip
> >distance. It doesn't have average speed which
would
> >be nice, but thats easy enough to calculate.
>
> Not if you want the avrage which many supply, the average speed *excluding* stops such as
> traffic lights.

Interesting you say that. It give you total time cycled (excluding stops such as traffic lights
etc). It also gives you trip distance. So you can do the math yourself. Although I wonder why they
didn't include it. It's hardly a taxing calculation to include. My guess would be a marketing
decision, not a technical one.

> Also which ones are better at not interfering with the Heart Monitor you
got
> for your birthday and has a strange habit of showing a HR of > 200
whenever
> I go > 25 mph freewheeling down hill?

And I thought it was just me working really hard! My HRM shoots past 200 whenever I cycle past the
local Asda - I think it's something to do with their high-tech trolley robber stopper system.

Pete.

Peter Connolly <[email protected]> wrote:
>And I thought it was just me working really hard! My HRM shoots past 200 whenever I cycle past the
>local Asda - I think it's something to do with their high-tech trolley robber stopper system.

Can't help with the heart monitor thing but to follow up my original query about computers, the Cat
Eye Cordless 7 seems to be unaffected by interference from door entry systems.

Seems to give higher readings than my last computer too. So either I got quite a bit fitter in the
last few months or I had the wheel circumference set badly wrong on the old one......

Pete.