Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Bike cover for tandem?

Started by Mike Rocket J Squirrel · · Last activity · 11 posts · 1,035 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
29 May 2007
Last activity
7 June 2007
Original author
Mike Rocket J Squirrel
Posts
11
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,035
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–11 of 11
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. We just got a midrange tandem at a garage sale that actually fits us two
    short people and I'd hate to see it rust apart in our coastal San Diego
    humidity and early summer fog and funk. So I'd like to cover it. Who
    makes good bike covers that won't rot apart from UV after a couple years
    under the sun, are sturdy enough to not flail themselves to death in
    wind gusts, and shed rain pretty darn good?

    Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott

  2. Mike Rocket J Squirrel said:

    We just got a midrange tandem at a garage sale that actually fits us two
    short people and I'd hate to see it rust apart in our coastal San Diego
    humidity and early summer fog and funk. So I'd like to cover it. Who
    makes good bike covers that won't rot apart from UV after a couple years
    under the sun, are sturdy enough to not flail themselves to death in
    wind gusts, and shed rain pretty darn good?

    Don't know but make sure whatever you decide that you don't use a cover
    which traps moisture against the vehicle. A lot of sad car stories start
    that way. Can you bring it indoors?

    --
    Andrew Muzi
    www.yellowjersey.org
    Open every day since 1 April, 1971

  3. A Muzi typed:

    Quoted message said:
    Mike Rocket J Squirrel said:

    We just got a midrange tandem at a garage sale that actually fits us
    two short people and I'd hate to see it rust apart in our coastal San
    Diego humidity and early summer fog and funk. So I'd like to cover it.
    Who makes good bike covers that won't rot apart from UV after a couple
    years under the sun, are sturdy enough to not flail themselves to
    death in wind gusts, and shed rain pretty darn good?

    Don't know but make sure whatever you decide that you don't use a cover
    which traps moisture against the vehicle. A lot of sad car stories start
    that way. Can you bring it indoors?

    Alas, no indoor room for this beast. All the bikes have to live outdoors
    under a canopy. Which works fairly well as long as I keep ferrous bits
    oiled so they don't rust in the damp air (where does the oil go, anyway?
    After a month or so, a chain that was nicely oiled starts looking orange
    and dry...). This tandem is too long to fit entirely under the canopy so
    a bike cover looks to be the good idea. But you are right about how
    moisture can get trapped under it -- a real good warning. Loose-fitting,
    like a tarp draped over the bike would let it breathe a lot better than
    some tight-fitting cover.

    Mike "Rocket J Squirrel"

  4. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Mike Rocket J Squirrel said:

    We just got a midrange tandem at a garage sale that actually fits us two
    short people and I'd hate to see it rust apart in our coastal San Diego
    humidity and early summer fog and funk. So I'd like to cover it. Who
    makes good bike covers that won't rot apart from UV after a couple years
    under the sun, are sturdy enough to not flail themselves to death in
    wind gusts, and shed rain pretty darn good?

    Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott

    Probably nobody. Maybe a boat-builder. Try a motorcycle cover and see if
    you can adapt that. Resolve that you'll change it every few years.

    --
    Ryan Cousineau [email hidden] http://www.wiredcola.com/
    "I don't want kids who are thinking about going into mathematics
    to think that they have to take drugs to succeed." -Paul Erdos

  5. Ryan Cousineau typed:

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Mike Rocket J Squirrel said:

    We just got a midrange tandem at a garage sale that actually fits us two
    short people and I'd hate to see it rust apart in our coastal San Diego
    humidity and early summer fog and funk. So I'd like to cover it. Who
    makes good bike covers that won't rot apart from UV after a couple years
    under the sun, are sturdy enough to not flail themselves to death in
    wind gusts, and shed rain pretty darn good?

    Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott

    Probably nobody. Maybe a boat-builder. Try a motorcycle cover and see if
    you can adapt that. Resolve that you'll change it every few years.

    Wow, yeah. Not a common item. I Googled "bicycle cover" +rain +uv and
    the second non-sponsored hit was my OP to this NG of a few days ago.

  6. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Mike Rocket J Squirrel said:

    Ryan Cousineau typed:

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Mike Rocket J Squirrel said:

    We just got a midrange tandem at a garage sale that actually fits us two
    short people and I'd hate to see it rust apart in our coastal San Diego
    humidity and early summer fog and funk. So I'd like to cover it. Who
    makes good bike covers that won't rot apart from UV after a couple years
    under the sun, are sturdy enough to not flail themselves to death in
    wind gusts, and shed rain pretty darn good?

    Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott

    Probably nobody. Maybe a boat-builder. Try a motorcycle cover and see if
    you can adapt that. Resolve that you'll change it every few years.

    Wow, yeah. Not a common item. I Googled "bicycle cover" +rain +uv and
    the second non-sponsored hit was my OP to this NG of a few days ago.

    I think the reason is that almost all nice bicycles are assumed to live
    indoors. That's just the nature of a relatively light and often
    expensive object.

    Tandems are so expensive that almost any serious owner would not need a
    cover. They would just have indoor storage.

    --
    Ryan Cousineau [email hidden] http://www.wiredcola.com/
    "I don't want kids who are thinking about going into mathematics
    to think that they have to take drugs to succeed." -Paul Erdos

  7. On 6/1/2007 6:53 PM Ryan Cousineau said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Mike Rocket J Squirrel said:

    Ryan Cousineau typed:

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,
    Mike Rocket J Squirrel <[email hidden]> wrote:

    > We just got a midrange tandem at a garage sale that actually fits us two
    > short people and I'd hate to see it rust apart in our coastal San Diego
    > humidity and early summer fog and funk. So I'd like to cover it. Who
    > makes good bike covers that won't rot apart from UV after a couple years
    > under the sun, are sturdy enough to not flail themselves to death in
    > wind gusts, and shed rain pretty darn good?
    >
    > Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott
    Probably nobody. Maybe a boat-builder. Try a motorcycle cover and see if
    you can adapt that. Resolve that you'll change it every few years.


    Wow, yeah. Not a common item. I Googled "bicycle cover" +rain +uv and
    the second non-sponsored hit was my OP to this NG of a few days ago.

    I think the reason is that almost all nice bicycles are assumed to live
    indoors. That's just the nature of a relatively light and often
    expensive object.

    Tandems are so expensive that almost any serious owner would not need a
    cover. They would just have indoor storage.

    I guess that puts me into the category of "non-serious" owner. "Honey, I
    just bought a tandem at a garage sale! Maybe we can ride it once in a
    while -- for a picnic maybe -- when we're not riding our other bikes. I
    guess we need to find a bigger house!"

  8. Mike Elliott said:
    Quoted message said:

    I think the reason is that almost all nice bicycles are assumed to live
    indoors. That's just the nature of a relatively light and often
    expensive object.

    Tandems are so expensive that almost any serious owner would not need a
    cover. They would just have indoor storage.

    I guess that puts me into the category of "non-serious" owner. "Honey, I
    just bought a tandem at a garage sale! Maybe we can ride it once in a
    while -- for a picnic maybe -- when we're not riding our other bikes. I
    guess we need to find a bigger house!"

    Being too lazy to look, does Adventure Cycling have anything? I think
    they had some covers for singles last time I browsed through their
    store, but I wasn't looking for tandems, and might not have noticed.

    Pat

    Email address works as is.

  9. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Mike Elliott said:
    On 6/1/2007 6:53 PM Ryan Cousineau said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Mike Rocket J Squirrel said:

    Ryan Cousineau typed:
    > In article <[email hidden]>,
    > Mike Rocket J Squirrel <[email hidden]> wrote:
    >
    >> We just got a midrange tandem at a garage sale that actually fits us two
    >> short people and I'd hate to see it rust apart in our coastal San Diego
    >> humidity and early summer fog and funk. So I'd like to cover it. Who
    >> makes good bike covers that won't rot apart from UV after a couple years
    >> under the sun, are sturdy enough to not flail themselves to death in
    >> wind gusts, and shed rain pretty darn good?
    >>
    >> Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott
    > Probably nobody. Maybe a boat-builder. Try a motorcycle cover and see if
    > you can adapt that. Resolve that you'll change it every few years.
    >
    Wow, yeah. Not a common item. I Googled "bicycle cover" +rain +uv and
    the second non-sponsored hit was my OP to this NG of a few days ago.

    I think the reason is that almost all nice bicycles are assumed to live
    indoors. That's just the nature of a relatively light and often
    expensive object.

    Tandems are so expensive that almost any serious owner would not need a
    cover. They would just have indoor storage.

    I guess that puts me into the category of "non-serious" owner. "Honey, I
    just bought a tandem at a garage sale! Maybe we can ride it once in a
    while -- for a picnic maybe -- when we're not riding our other bikes. I
    guess we need to find a bigger house!"

    Don't worry. I am also a non-serious tandem bike owner. It's just that
    mine is smaller, and I have a pretty big shed.

    --
    Ryan Cousineau [email hidden] http://www.wiredcola.com/
    "I don't want kids who are thinking about going into mathematics
    to think that they have to take drugs to succeed." -Paul Erdos

  10. On 6/2/2007 9:49 AM Patrick Lamb said:
    Mike Elliott said:
    Quoted message said:

    I think the reason is that almost all nice bicycles are assumed to live
    indoors. That's just the nature of a relatively light and often
    expensive object.

    Tandems are so expensive that almost any serious owner would not need a
    cover. They would just have indoor storage.


    I guess that puts me into the category of "non-serious" owner. "Honey, I
    just bought a tandem at a garage sale! Maybe we can ride it once in a
    while -- for a picnic maybe -- when we're not riding our other bikes. I
    guess we need to find a bigger house!"

    Being too lazy to look, does Adventure Cycling have anything? I think
    they had some covers for singles last time I browsed through their
    store, but I wasn't looking for tandems, and might not have noticed.

    A darn good suggestion, Pat. They do have Pygmy Packs to cover a
    tandem's drivetrain, but nothing for a full tandem bike. Looks like I'll
    be looking on eBay for a used train shed.

    Mike RJS

  11. Mike Rocket J Squirrel said:

    We just got a midrange tandem at a garage sale that actually fits us two
    short people and I'd hate to see it rust apart in our coastal San Diego
    humidity and early summer fog and funk. So I'd like to cover it. Who
    makes good bike covers that won't rot apart from UV after a couple years
    under the sun, are sturdy enough to not flail themselves to death in
    wind gusts, and shed rain pretty darn good?

    I haven't followed this thread, but Google found these:

    <http://www.cuckoobicyclecovers.com//index.cfm?fuseaction=order.itemdetail&item_id=388&item_category_id=0&referer_id=>
    <http://www.coverconnection.org/bicycle.htm> (it says "Tandem covers
    available)
    <http://www.co-motion.com/Coolstuff.html>

    I have no experience with any of these, so I can't comment on their
    effectiveness. HTH.

    --
    Dave
    dvt at psu dot edu

    Everyone confesses that exertion which brings out all the powers of body
    and mind is the best thing for us; but most people do all they can to
    get rid of it, and as a general rule nobody does much more than
    circumstances drive them to do. -Harriet Beecher Stowe, abolitionist and
    novelist (1811-1896)

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.