Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Bike Fit

Started by Marian · · Last activity · 8 posts · 233 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
24 April 2007
Last activity
26 April 2007
Original author
Marian
Posts
8
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
233
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–8 of 8
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Since my current bike is lots smaller than last year's bike and ever
    so much more comfortable I was surprised at first to discover that it
    is still too big. But it is indeed too big. I discovered this
    because I've been talking with Mark about buying a Habanero and
    somewhere in the course of the discussion full measurements were taken
    of both myself and my current bike.

    Because of this I changed the 9cm stem for one much shorter today.
    I'm guessing about 4cm but I don't have a measuring tape handy.

    I can go down on the drops and stay there. I didn't used to be able
    to do that before.
    And I'm comfortable riding on the brake hoods. I like this.

    But, I've got a new discomfort in my wrists that wasn't there before I
    changed the stem and lowered the bars. The previous set up had the
    bars as high as they could go and since the shorter stem doesn't have
    as much rise there isn't a whole lot I can do about raising them.

    I'm not sure I'd call the discomfort pain but it is well uncomfortable
    and it feels like it could develop into pain. I've got it in both
    wrists too. Any suggestions on how I can tweak the bike to fix this
    problem?

    -M

  2. Quoted message said:

    But, I've got a new discomfort in my wrists that wasn't there before I
    changed the stem and lowered the bars. The previous set up had the
    bars as high as they could go and since the shorter stem doesn't have
    as much rise there isn't a whole lot I can do about raising them.

    Is your saddle level? Best to actually check it with a real live bubble
    level; sometimes it's tough to do by eye.

    Also, a very big issue on fit for women, and one that is frequently ignored
    or forgotten about, is the shape of the bars. Try something with as short a
    forward reach and small a drop as possible. It could make a really big
    difference. Consider what happens when you shorten the forward reach by 2cm.
    You're bringing in the brake levers the same amount as if you shortened the
    stem, but doing so without bringing the top (center) part of the handlebar
    in so close that it's almost not usable.

    --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
    www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

    "Marian" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Since my current bike is lots smaller than last year's bike and ever
    so much more comfortable I was surprised at first to discover that it
    is still too big. But it is indeed too big. I discovered this
    because I've been talking with Mark about buying a Habanero and
    somewhere in the course of the discussion full measurements were taken
    of both myself and my current bike.

    Because of this I changed the 9cm stem for one much shorter today.
    I'm guessing about 4cm but I don't have a measuring tape handy.

    I can go down on the drops and stay there. I didn't used to be able
    to do that before.
    And I'm comfortable riding on the brake hoods. I like this.

    But, I've got a new discomfort in my wrists that wasn't there before I
    changed the stem and lowered the bars. The previous set up had the
    bars as high as they could go and since the shorter stem doesn't have
    as much rise there isn't a whole lot I can do about raising them.

    I'm not sure I'd call the discomfort pain but it is well uncomfortable
    and it feels like it could develop into pain. I've got it in both
    wrists too. Any suggestions on how I can tweak the bike to fix this
    problem?

    -M

  3. On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 17:29:20 GMT, "Mike Jacoubowsky"
    <[email hidden]> wrote:

    [snip]

    Quoted message said:

    Is your saddle level? Best to actually check it with a real live bubble
    level; sometimes it's tough to do by eye.

    [snip]

    Dear Mike,

    Should the saddle be adjusted as the tires wear?

    The rear tire usually wears faster than the front, which can cause
    that bubble-leveled thing on top of the seat-post to tip to the rear.

    Sometimes it's tough to see this tilt.

    🙂

    Cheers,

    Carl Fogel

  4. <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 17:29:20 GMT, "Mike Jacoubowsky"
    <[email hidden]> wrote:

    [snip]

    Quoted message said:

    Is your saddle level? Best to actually check it with a real live bubble
    level; sometimes it's tough to do by eye.

    [snip]

    Dear Mike,

    Should the saddle be adjusted as the tires wear?

    The rear tire usually wears faster than the front, which can cause
    that bubble-leveled thing on top of the seat-post to tip to the rear.

    Sometimes it's tough to see this tilt.

    🙂

    Cheers,

    Carl Fogel

    If I'm not mistaken Carl, by what you described above, the bubble-level
    should tilt (tip) to the front.
    -tom

  5. Tom Nakashima said:


    <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 17:29:20 GMT, "Mike Jacoubowsky"
    <[email hidden]> wrote:

    [snip]

    Quoted message said:

    Is your saddle level? Best to actually check it with a real live bubble
    level; sometimes it's tough to do by eye.

    [snip]

    Dear Mike,

    Should the saddle be adjusted as the tires wear?

    The rear tire usually wears faster than the front, which can cause
    that bubble-leveled thing on top of the seat-post to tip to the rear.

    Sometimes it's tough to see this tilt.

    🙂

    Cheers,

    Carl Fogel

    If I'm not mistaken Carl, by what you described above, the bubble-level
    should tilt (tip) to the front.
    -tom

    Dear Tom,

    We may just be misunderstanding each other.

    If the rear tire wears more, then the rear axle drops and a marble on
    the seat will roll down toward the rear tire.

    But the _bubble_ inside a bubble-level laid on the seat would rise
    toward the front of the bike. You could say that the front of the seat
    is tilted up and the rear of the seat is tilted down.

    The bubble would rise because "the bubble-leveled thing on top of the
    seat-post"--

    (That "thing" is the saddle to Mike and the seat to me, not the
    bubble-level or the bubble itself.)

    --is tilting (tipping) down toward the back.

    A theoretical bubble is not quite as small as the missing decimal
    point over which debate is raging in another current thread, but I
    think that we can both pride ourselves on pursuing a subject suitable
    for a rainy day.

    🙂

    I've done my level best to explain what I think would happen, but I'm
    open to correction.

    Hope your weather's better than mine!

    Cheers,

    Carl Fogel


  6. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    The rear tire usually wears faster than the front, which can cause
    that bubble-leveled thing on top of the seat-post to tip to the rear.
    Sometimes it's tough to see this tilt.
    Cheers,
    Carl Fogel

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    If I'm not mistaken Carl, by what you described above, the bubble-level
    should tilt (tip) to the front.
    -tom

    Quoted message said:

    <[email hidden]
    Dear Tom,
    If the rear tire wears more, then the rear axle drops...
    But the _bubble_ inside a bubble-level laid on the seat would rise
    toward the front of the bike.

    Dear Carl,
    that's all I wanted to hear, and glad you agree.
    -tom

  7. Marian said:

    Since my current bike is lots smaller than last year's bike and ever
    so much more comfortable I was surprised at first to discover that it
    is still too big. But it is indeed too big. I discovered this
    because I've been talking with Mark about buying a Habanero and
    somewhere in the course of the discussion full measurements were taken
    of both myself and my current bike.

    Because of this I changed the 9cm stem for one much shorter today.
    I'm guessing about 4cm but I don't have a measuring tape handy.

    I can go down on the drops and stay there. I didn't used to be able
    to do that before.
    And I'm comfortable riding on the brake hoods. I like this.

    But, I've got a new discomfort in my wrists that wasn't there before I
    changed the stem and lowered the bars. The previous set up had the
    bars as high as they could go and since the shorter stem doesn't have
    as much rise there isn't a whole lot I can do about raising them.

    I'm not sure I'd call the discomfort pain but it is well uncomfortable
    and it feels like it could develop into pain. I've got it in both
    wrists too. Any suggestions on how I can tweak the bike to fix this
    problem?

    -M

    Don't stay in the drops, at least not until it starts to improve. You
    may have to shift your weight to your saddle by moving the bars
    closer, or highter. Spend time riding no-hands -- nohands uphill is a
    good drill. I see you've done that (move bars); wait for that change
    to take effect. Try to use your lower back to hold your torso up,
    rather than putting all your upper body weight on the bars. Force
    yourself to move your hand position before you start to feel the
    discomfort. Try to invent new ways to hold onto the bars. Take up
    pilates to help yourself maintain a healthy posture on the bike, using
    your "core". Got a good book on "core" exercises. Force yourself to
    spend more time on the top of the bars just holding on with your
    fingers enough to steer the bike. STart doing separate lower back
    stengthening exercises, like crunches.

    I suffered horribly with right shoulder pain to the point I couldn't
    sleep on my right side for more than 1/2 year, yet I rode on. If
    things start to deteriorate take drastic steps, including time off the
    bike, or on different types of bikes, or else you may be off it for a
    while. I wasted tons of money on a chiropractor, but eventually
    completely fixed it with the above recommendations, and a lot of
    experimenting with fit issues, and paying for a fit and getting advice
    from experienced people. Force yourself to use the good side too, if
    one side hurts more than the other.

  8. Bill Westphal said:
    Marian said:

    Since my current bike is lots smaller than last year's bike and ever
    so much more comfortable I was surprised at first to discover that it
    is still too big. But it is indeed too big. I discovered this
    because I've been talking with Mark about buying a Habanero and
    somewhere in the course of the discussion full measurements were taken
    of both myself and my current bike.

    Quoted message said:

    Because of this I changed the 9cm stem for one much shorter today.
    I'm guessing about 4cm but I don't have a measuring tape handy.

    Quoted message said:

    I can go down on the drops and stay there. I didn't used to be able
    to do that before.
    And I'm comfortable riding on the brake hoods. I like this.

    Quoted message said:

    But, I've got a new discomfort in my wrists that wasn't there before I
    changed the stem and lowered the bars. The previous set up had the
    bars as high as they could go and since the shorter stem doesn't have
    as much rise there isn't a whole lot I can do about raising them.

    Quoted message said:

    I'm not sure I'd call the discomfort pain but it is well uncomfortable
    and it feels like it could develop into pain. I've got it in both
    wrists too. Any suggestions on how I can tweak the bike to fix this
    problem?

    Quoted message said:

    -M

    Don't stay in the drops, at least not until it starts to improve. You

    It's amazing what being just a little bit off can do pain wise. The
    bars weren't straight.

    I'm now about 180km into the new set up and so far so good. Got to
    get used to the number of new positions available to me that were
    really only theoretical before. Still not entirely sure my wrists are
    100% happy with the new position.

    Quoted message said:

    may have to shift your weight to your saddle by moving the bars
    closer, or highter. Spend time riding no-hands -- nohands uphill is a
    good drill. I see you've done that (move bars); wait for that change
    to take effect. Try to use your lower back to hold your torso up,
    rather than putting all your upper body weight on the bars. Force
    yourself to move your hand position before you start to feel the
    discomfort. Try to invent new ways to hold onto the bars. Take up

    Got lots of new ways to hold the bars. Like actually resting on the
    brake hoods for long periods of time. I _finally_ understand why
    brifters (which this bike doesn't have) are supposed to be more
    convenient than downtube shifters.

    Quoted message said:

    pilates to help yourself maintain a healthy posture on the bike, using
    your "core". Got a good book on "core" exercises. Force yourself to
    spend more time on the top of the bars just holding on with your
    fingers enough to steer the bike. STart doing separate lower back
    stengthening exercises, like crunches.

    I suffered horribly with right shoulder pain to the point I couldn't
    sleep on my right side for more than 1/2 year, yet I rode on. If
    things start to deteriorate take drastic steps, including time off the
    bike, or on different types of bikes, or else you may be off it for a

    I've never been uncomfortable on my bike. Merely that people keep
    suggesting that I bring the bars closer and get a smaller bike and a
    still smaller one and every time I change I go through a period of
    adjustment before deciding that the experts were right.

    -M

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.