Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Bike fitting - short legs/long trunk

Started by Email address hidden · · Last activity · 20 posts · 987 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
1 April 2005
Last activity
6 April 2005
Original author
Email address hidden
Posts
20
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
987
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 20
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. My legs are shorter and upper body longer than average for my height of
    5'10". Are there any rules of thumb or suggested bike brands when
    fitting people like me?

    I'm looking at a Giant OCR 1. According to my inseam measurement, I
    would only need a 53cm frame, however which borderline b/w a Small and
    Medium frame. Based on my height, however, Medium is the recommended
    size.

    What are the advantages/disadvantages to going with the smaller vs.
    larger frame? Since pedal reach or top tube clearance is not an issue
    with this bike, I'm thinking that the Medium geometry would be more
    suitable.

    Any thoughts? Thanks!

  2. Not to knock Giant frames, but their limited size availability could
    cause problems for in-between people like you. Try taking both sizes
    out for an extended ride.

    I suggest you check into other brands whose manufacturers measure
    sizes differently and have a wider length range available. As an
    example, Lemond bikes have conservative (i.e. shorter) seat post
    lengths. A 53 cm Lemond fits me the same as a 56 cm Cannondale though
    the top tube is about the same length. I've come to the conclusion
    that top tube length, effective or real, means more than the seatpost
    measurement.

  3. I'm also short legged....for sure get a long extension (& or tall)
    stem;
    make sure you have adequate crotch clearance 4 safety

    Quoted message said:

    My legs are shorter and upper body longer than average for my height


    of

    Quoted message said:

    5'10". Are there any rules of thumb or suggested bike brands when
    fitting people like me?

    I'm looking at a Giant OCR 1. According to my inseam measurement, I
    would only need a 53cm frame, however which borderline b/w a Small


    and

    Quoted message said:

    Medium frame. Based on my height, however, Medium is the recommended
    size.

    What are the advantages/disadvantages to going with the smaller vs.
    larger frame? Since pedal reach or top tube clearance is not an issue
    with this bike, I'm thinking that the Medium geometry would be more
    suitable.

    Any thoughts? Thanks!

  4. <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    My legs are shorter and upper body longer than average for my height of
    5'10". Are there any rules of thumb or suggested bike brands when
    fitting people like me?

    I'm looking at a Giant OCR 1. According to my inseam measurement, I
    would only need a 53cm frame, however which borderline b/w a Small and
    Medium frame. Based on my height, however, Medium is the recommended
    size.

    What are the advantages/disadvantages to going with the smaller vs.
    larger frame? Since pedal reach or top tube clearance is not an issue
    with this bike, I'm thinking that the Medium geometry would be more
    suitable.

    Any thoughts? Thanks!

    I'm built just like you and have dealt with this problem for all my cycling
    life. Focus on getting a bike with a top tube (or "effective" top tube in
    the case of a compact frame) that fits you. No standard fit technicque is
    going to get you on a large enough frame. You'll end up with your seat
    jammed all the way back (which is tough on saddle rails) and you'll end up
    with a stem that's too long (which can result in handling issues ...
    especially if you do much fast descending). How many times have you racked
    yourself on the top tube of your current bike ... or any bike for that
    matter? Don't worry about stand-over height or things like that. Normal
    people can worry about that. We knuckle-draggers cannot. Size the bike so
    that the reach is right when you use about an 11 cm stem. That's about the
    ideal.

    Now, what I've found is that many European ... and especially Italian ...
    frames are made for people who are exactly the opposite of us. You'll have
    a really tough time getting a conventional (non-compact) Pinarello or
    Bianchi or DeRosa to fit you.

    If I recall correctly, and if things haven't changed, Eddy Merckx and Lemond
    have more "relaxed" geometries that work OK. There are lots of compact
    frames that have longer "effective" top tubes relative to their frame sizes
    and standover heights. The problem I have with going that route is that, in
    sizes that work for me, it can be hard to get anything but a small water
    bottle on the seat tube. I live in a hot climate. I need to carry lots of
    water.

    I ended up on a Trek OCLV. It's a pretty good geometry if you're a
    long-torso type. My stem is a touch on the long side and my saddle is a bit
    set back ... but it works.

    I hope this helps you some.

    --
    Bob C.

    "Of course it hurts. The trick is not minding that it hurts."
    T. E. Lawrence (of Arabia)

  5. Quoted message said:

    make sure you have adequate crotch clearance 4 safety

    Have to disagree.

    I have a 29" pants (not bike measure) inseam and am 5'11.5" tall.

    If it is a road bike, the last thing you need to worry about is crotch
    clearance. Different story of a mtn bike.

    I ride a Lemond BA 56 cm so I can get their long top tube (which is one
    of the more important measurements, IMHO) with 0.5" crotch clearance.

    Never had a problem (said he in his very high voice) 😄

  6. Colorado Bicycler said:
    Quoted message said:

    make sure you have adequate crotch clearance 4 safety

    Have to disagree.

    I have a 29" pants (not bike measure) inseam and am 5'11.5" tall.

    If it is a road bike, the last thing you need to worry about is crotch
    clearance. Different story of a mtn bike.

    I ride a Lemond BA 56 cm so I can get their long top tube (which is one
    of the more important measurements, IMHO) with 0.5" crotch clearance.

    Never had a problem (said he in his very high voice) 😄

    I agree. I'm the same build, roughly. 6'1" tall. 29 inch inseam. I ride a
    size 58 Trek 1000. They had to do some funky stuff to the stem to get it
    to fit right. Thus a fitting is well worth the money spent.

    Preston

  7. "Colorado Bicycler" <[email hidden]> wrote in news:1112399589.474981.257210
    @l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

    Quoted message said:

    I wonder if any of the "compact" frames will fit us long-torso types.
    Anyone know?

    Some will and some won't. Some compact frames have very short top tubes
    and/or too tall head tubes.

  8. In some ways, compact frames are better for us. You can get a larger size
    compact frame, have a longer effective top tube length, and still have some
    stand-over clearance (if you're worried about that).

    --
    Bob C.

    "Of course it hurts. The trick is not minding that it hurts."
    T. E. Lawrence (of Arabia)
    "Ken" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    "Colorado Bicycler" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    news:1112399589.474981.257210
    @l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

    Quoted message said:

    I wonder if any of the "compact" frames will fit us long-torso types.
    Anyone know?

    Some will and some won't. Some compact frames have very short top tubes
    and/or too tall head tubes.

  9. Quoted message said:

    No standard fit technicque is


    going to get you on a large enough frame.

    Yes, I get real strange sizes out of WrenchScience and other sites!

    They don't have a clue.

  10. psycholist wrote:

    <I'm built just like you and have dealt with this problem for all my
    cycling
    life. Focus on getting a bike with a top tube (or "effective" top tube
    in
    the case of a compact frame) that fits you. No standard fit technicque
    is
    going to get you on a large enough frame. You'll end up with your seat

    jammed all the way back (which is tough on saddle rails) and you'll end
    up
    with a stem that's too long (which can result in handling issues ... >
    (snip)

    What "handling issues" would those be?

    (unsnip)
    <especially if you do much fast descending).>

    Not IME. "Fast" being relative, of course. My current "max" on the
    Cateye 7 is only 48+; "erased" high was 62mph. That biggie could have
    been an error, but 48mph isn't hard to find here in Austin. I lived in
    the Rockies (Independence Pass area) and used a long stem for riding
    and touring there, too. Not a problem, at least for me.

    <How many times have you racked
    yourself on the top tube of your current bike ... or any bike for that
    matter? Don't worry about stand-over height or things like that.
    Normal
    people can worry about that. We knuckle-draggers cannot.>

    I rode a 59 c-c ST (Maserati) for awhile. I learned to be careful, so
    as not to imitate the Ooo-Ahh bird. Not a graceful solution to the
    long-torso sizing problem.

    <Size the bike so
    that the reach is right when you use about an 11 cm stem. That's about
    the ideal.>

    This is all personal, but there is nothing "ideal" for me with an 11cm
    stem. I got lucky a few years ago and bought a "custom for someone
    else" Ti frame that is 53cm seat, 59.5 TT, after being fitted at a
    well-known frame maker who "had something used in the attic". I use a
    130 stem with 44 c-c "deep" bars, and 165 cranks.

    Works great, by far the best-fitting setup I've had since starting this
    bike thing in 1968 or so. "Finally one for me", having owned
    everything from 54 to 59 seat tubes in order to try to get a fit.

    Several times over the years, even on bikes with short-for-me top
    tubes, I've been solemnly told "That stem is too long for you". And "44
    bars!?!?" I've even had someone heatedly exclaim "165 crankarms are not
    for the road!!!" And of course, custom-fit frames are regularly
    poo-poohed by people who match off the shelf frames and/or believe one
    "shouldn't spend that much money on a bicycle" for some somewhat whacko
    reason or another.

    Point being: If I listened to people who believe and repeat "myth and
    lore", I wouldn't be riding the bike I enjoy today. The 165's? My knees
    appreciate that purchase a lot. Wide bars, long reach? I can breathe
    and my knees don't hit my elbows when pedaling in the drops, and my
    back goes low and flat with hands in those deep drops, too. Besides the
    increased "comfort", I look at my position in reflective windows while
    riding, and like what I see ("as if he had a normal body"😉. The
    components, incl. frame, are just "how you get there".

    Not cheap, but IMHO the best investment for a "serious" (dedicated?
    loyal? frequent?) cyclist is starting with a frame that fits. The
    long-torso people seem to know this best <g>. Custom sized frames are
    available in steel and Ti at pretty reasonable prices, esp. compared to
    high-end off-the-shelf stuff.

    The easiest "test" for the importance of "a fit you like" for me is
    climbing back on the old Tommasini SLX (no chopped liver there, but
    approx. 55cm, c-c, ST/TT). Yeow. What a difference. Even with 44 deeps
    on a 130, and 165's... --TP

  11. I'm getting confused.

    I pretty sure that my current bike, a 56cm, is too big and I need a
    bike with a shorter top tube (current top tube is 558mm). I am reaching
    too far forward and my back is too stretched out on it (my back is
    probably at a 38-40 deg angle, as opposed to the 45 deg that is ideal),
    which results in neck/back stiffness and headaches.

    Yet, when holding the drops, I can see the front hub in *front* of the
    handlebars, which would seem to indicate that the top tube is too
    short, not too long.

    I think the problem is that I have short arms, in addition to short
    legs and a long trunk. My sleeve size with dress shirts is 32/33.
    Perhaps I could use a shorter/higher stem and move the seat forward.
    But then my knees would touch my elbows at the top of the pedal stroke.
    If I get a smaller framed bike, I'm also concerned that the bars would
    be too, which would also cause neck/back pain.

    My "knuckle dragging factor" isn't as drastic as some of the other guys
    who have posted in this thread (29" inseam/6'1", etc.). My pants inseam
    is 29/30 and I'm 5'10".

  12. Correction to last post:
    "If I get a smaller framed bike, I'm also concerned that the bars would

    be too low, which would also cause neck/back pain."

  13. plin said:

    I pretty sure that my current bike, a 56cm, is too big and I need a
    bike with a shorter top tube (current top tube is 558mm). I am


    reaching

    Quoted message said:

    too far forward and my back is too stretched out on it (my back is
    probably at a 38-40 deg angle, as opposed to the 45 deg that is


    ideal),

    Quoted message said:

    which results in neck/back stiffness and headaches.

    Quoted message said:

    Yet, when holding the drops, I can see the front hub in *front* of the

    Quoted message said:

    handlebars, which would seem to indicate that the top tube is too
    short, not too long.

    Take a look at yourself while riding past a length of reflective
    windows (as opposed to "posing" in front of a mirror); an easy way to
    see what kind of position you have. There isn't anything "fixed" about
    back angle, or where the hub is when you look down, either. Compare a
    racing geometry frame to a touring setup; head angle and offset "move"
    the hub, as well as top tube length.

    You're only looking for reasonable comfort while doing the sort of
    riding that suits you. There are many variations that work. If you are
    fairly new at riding, or re-starting after a time away, perhaps you are
    "toughening in". BTDT, not much fun. I had to learn and re-learn how to
    relax the upper body, and move the hands around to get away from an
    uncomfortable "death grip" on the bars (incl. "scrunch"😉. Another thing
    that a little "window feedback" can help with. (Don't scare the
    secretaries or have a collision while admiring yourself.)

    Is there a shop nearby that does fitting for a reasonable fee, as a
    service apart from buying a bike? --TP

  14. <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    Quoted message said:

    Point being: If I listened to people who believe and repeat "myth and
    lore", I wouldn't be riding the bike I enjoy today.

    I'm not repeating myth and lore. I'm informing the original poster what
    I've learned from many years of direct experience. Nobody ever told me
    these things and you don't generally find them published anywhere. As the
    other posters on this thread have indicated, if you're a knuckle dragger,
    you're pretty much on your own.

    If the things I've mentioned haven't been your experience, then fine. The
    things you talked about aren't consistent with my experience, either.
    However, you might note from the other posters in this thread that the
    things I've indicated ARE consistent with most of their experiences.

    I was only trying to be helpful. I didn't deserve your arrogant reply. I'd
    expect it in rec.bicycles.racing, but not here.

    --
    Bob C.

    "Of course it hurts. The trick is not minding that it hurts."
    T. E. Lawrence (of Arabia)

  15. <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I'm getting confused.

    I pretty sure that my current bike, a 56cm, is too big and I need a
    bike with a shorter top tube (current top tube is 558mm). I am reaching
    too far forward and my back is too stretched out on it (my back is
    probably at a 38-40 deg angle, as opposed to the 45 deg that is ideal),
    which results in neck/back stiffness and headaches.

    Yet, when holding the drops, I can see the front hub in *front* of the
    handlebars, which would seem to indicate that the top tube is too
    short, not too long.

    I think the problem is that I have short arms, in addition to short
    legs and a long trunk. My sleeve size with dress shirts is 32/33.
    Perhaps I could use a shorter/higher stem and move the seat forward.
    But then my knees would touch my elbows at the top of the pedal stroke.
    If I get a smaller framed bike, I'm also concerned that the bars would
    be too, which would also cause neck/back pain.

    My "knuckle dragging factor" isn't as drastic as some of the other guys
    who have posted in this thread (29" inseam/6'1", etc.). My pants inseam
    is 29/30 and I'm 5'10".

    How much do you ride? Lots of folks suffer sore necks in the early parts of
    their seasons and they go away as the miles and fitness build. Everyone is
    different when it comes to riding style. I like an aggressive, racing-style
    position. Nobody gets much of a draft behind me 'cuz I'm small and I stay
    low. It works for me. Not everybody can ride like that. There are no hard
    and fast rules to this ... only general guidelines. I think the general
    guideline you should be taking away from the posts on this thread is that
    you should worry most about getting a frame with a top tube that suits you
    versus one that's sized to work with your inseam length (which is the
    typical, no-brainer LBS way of sizing a bike).

    But as [email hidden] rudely, but rightly said, you can also consider a
    custom frame where you can have your cake and eat it, too. But even then,
    you have to have some idea what will work for you and what won't. A good
    LBS will swap out stems for you to help dial in the fit. Mine once sold me
    a Look Ergostem (adjustable) so I could experiment, then bought it back for
    full price after a couple of weeks when I figured out what I needed for a
    fixed stem.

    Good luck,
    --
    Bob C.

    "Of course it hurts. The trick is not minding that it hurts."
    T. E. Lawrence (of Arabia)

  16. Quoted message said:

    I'm getting confused.

    I pretty sure that my current bike, a 56cm, is too big and I need a
    bike with a shorter top tube (current top tube is 558mm). I am


    reaching

    Quoted message said:

    too far forward and my back is too stretched out on it (my back is
    probably at a 38-40 deg angle, as opposed to the 45 deg that is


    ideal),

    Quoted message said:

    which results in neck/back stiffness and headaches.

    Sounds like you'd feel better with shorter reach, either shorter stem
    or top tube or both.

    Quoted message said:

    Yet, when holding the drops, I can see the front hub in *front* of


    the

    Quoted message said:

    handlebars, which would seem to indicate that the top tube is too
    short, not too long.

    This is your problem. Forget that hidden hub myth. Say you're in your
    theoretical perfect ideal position. There's a range of good head angles
    and fork rakes that will put the hub forward or back from view. You
    shouldn't change your position just cause your bike may have slightly
    different steering geometry.

    Quoted message said:

    I think the problem is that I have short arms, in addition to short
    legs and a long trunk. My sleeve size with dress shirts is 32/33.
    Perhaps I could use a shorter/higher stem

    May be worth a try!

    Quoted message said:

    and move the seat forward.
    But then my knees would touch my elbows at the top of the pedal


    stroke.

    So don't move the seat forward.

    Quoted message said:

    If I get a smaller framed bike, I'm also concerned that the bars


    would

    Quoted message said:

    be too low, which would also cause neck/back pain.

    Yeah, you're right about that. Bars too low is no fun!!

  17. psycholist said:

    I'm not repeating myth and lore. I'm informing the original poster


    what

    Quoted message said:

    I've learned from many years of direct experience.

    Suggesting that a 11cm stem is "about right" and that longer stems
    invite "handling problems" sure sounded like "myth and lore" to me. You
    could have taken my words as an invitation to relate an incident where
    using a shorter stem cured a handling problem on fast descents, if your
    experience includes this occurrence. Sorry, but otherwise you sound
    like one of those folks who've told me: "that stem is much too long for
    your size frame, it means your bike doesn't fit".

    If the OP is still with us:

    <http://www.sheldonbrown.com/kops.html> --TP

  18. <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    psycholist said:

    I'm not repeating myth and lore. I'm informing the original poster


    what

    Quoted message said:

    I've learned from many years of direct experience.

    Suggesting that a 11cm stem is "about right" and that longer stems
    invite "handling problems" sure sounded like "myth and lore" to me. You
    could have taken my words as an invitation to relate an incident where
    using a shorter stem cured a handling problem on fast descents, if your
    experience includes this occurrence. Sorry, but otherwise you sound
    like one of those folks who've told me: "that stem is much too long for
    your size frame, it means your bike doesn't fit".

    It's kinda funny that you post a link to Sheldon Brown. It was years ago
    now, but my LBS had put me on a 48 cm frame because of my inseam dimension.
    I ended up with a 13.5 cm stem. I was doing lots of mountain riding and was
    having all kinds of problems handling the bike on descents. I went to
    rec.bicycles.tech and posted to the group about it. One of the replies I
    got suggesting I try a shorter stem was from Jobst Brandt. Well, I ended up
    making a couple of adjustments ... I did go to a shorter stem and I went to
    a seatpost that allowed more setback. Handling of the bike improved
    dramatically! In researching for my next bike, I found a number of postings
    and fitting articles suggesting that longer stem lengths can contribute to
    handling issues. I don't have these at my fingertips. You can search for
    them yourself. I'm actually quite happy with my current setup which has me
    on a 12 cm stem.

    Actually, you're the only person I've ever encountered who disagreed that
    longer stems can contribute to handling problems. I didn't say they always
    do. I said they "can contribute to handling problems." Obviously, there
    are always other variables and, if you've read all my posts on this thread,
    I've said there are no rules ... only general guidelines. There are plenty
    of exceptions.

    But while you're speaking of myth and lore, I find it funny that you're
    invoking a link to Sheldon Brown. I respect Sheldon Brown and read lots of
    his stuff. But I don't always find it to be beyond question. People invoke
    Sheldon Brown like his word is handed down from God. Similarly, they invoke
    Jobst Brandt's name -- mostly without knowing what he really says on a
    topic.

    I've been riding and reading for enough years to have formed my own views on
    many aspects of cycling. I offer my own views, my experience and the
    synthesis of the many things I've read. As I said, you're experience may
    vary. That's no excuse for rudeness.

    --
    Bob C.

    "Of course it hurts. The trick is not minding that it hurts."
    T. E. Lawrence (of Arabia)

    Quoted message said:

    If the OP is still with us:

    <http://www.sheldonbrown.com/kops.html> --TP

  19. psycholist said:

    It's kinda funny that you post a link to Sheldon Brown.

    "Funny?" May we get the "why I don't like Sheldon Brown" story quickly,
    please?

    Quoted message said:

    One of the replies I got suggesting I try a shorter stem was from


    Jobst Brandt. >Well, I ended up making a couple of adjustments ... I
    did go to a shorter stem >and I went to a seatpost that allowed more
    setback. Handling of the bike >improved dramatically!

    Yes, you moved your butt back maybe even further than your hands,
    pushing the bulk of your weight back and off the front wheel. No
    surprise that the handling improved! The point being: If you made more
    than one change at the same time, you can't know which change did what.
    Don't offer this as any kind of "proof" that long stems lead to
    handling problems, much less invoke the name of Jobst Brandt as if he
    oversaw your project and rubberstamped your "findings" (this last just
    to see if you enjoy others twisting your words and intent; "shoe on the
    other foot" as it were).

    BTW, "I find it kinda funny that you invoke the name of Jobst Brandt as
    an ally while complaining of rudeness".

    Quoted message said:

    Actually, you're the only person I've ever encountered who disagreed


    that

    Quoted message said:

    longer stems can contribute to handling problems.

    Not what I said, at all. I took issue with your "110 stem is about
    right" statement. Stuck out like a sore lower back in a thread
    concerning folks who don't fit short top tubes! You raised the specter
    of "handling problems" (ooooooh, handling problems on fast
    downhills!!!! Booga booga! Stay away from long stems, or it could
    happen to you, too!!!) based on faulty experimentation; point of fact
    and in your words, without the knowledge that your long stem really
    caused the problem in the first place. This is "textbook" how myth and
    lore is spread.

    Still have that bike? If you kept everything else the same as "cured",
    and put your old long stem back on, then maybe you'd know something.
    Maybe. No apologies for poking at that one, psycholist.

    Quoted message said:

    I find it funny that you're invoking a link to Sheldon Brown. I


    respect Sheldon >Brown and read lots of his stuff. But I don't always
    find it to be beyond question. >People invoke Sheldon Brown like his
    word is handed down from God. Similarly, >they invoke Jobst Brandt's
    name -- mostly without knowing what he really says >on a topic.

    Digging at Sheldon again, in the same post? Please: "Why I don't like
    Sheldon Brown", short and sweet? Besides falsely having me attribute
    infallibility to Sheldon Brown, are you also accusing me of misquoting
    J. Brandt?

    Hoping you'll experiment with that old bike and report back. --TP

  20. Focus on adequate top tube length, rather than seat tube height. Spend the
    money on a professional fit. Once you know what combined tobtube/stem
    length you need, you can see what's available. At your height, you will
    probably be using a relatively large frame (a 55-56cm) and can probably get
    away with a 130 mm stem. I wouldn't recommend going any longer.

    "Colorado Bicycler" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    make sure you have adequate crotch clearance 4 safety

    Have to disagree.

    I have a 29" pants (not bike measure) inseam and am 5'11.5" tall.

    If it is a road bike, the last thing you need to worry about is crotch
    clearance. Different story of a mtn bike.

    I ride a Lemond BA 56 cm so I can get their long top tube (which is one
    of the more important measurements, IMHO) with 0.5" crotch clearance.

    Never had a problem (said he in his very high voice) 😄

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.