Bike Friendly Maps

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides archive' started by Scic, Mar 16, 2003.

  1. Scic

    Scic Guest

    Some states, like IL, have bike specific maps, which indicate roads to avoid and also show which
    roads have paved/unpaved shoulders.

    For those of you in IL who are not aware of these maps, they're free from IDOT. Each map (series of
    at least 13 covering the entire state by regions) also has an extensive list of Conservation/Rec
    areas, Historic sites, Points of interest and Bike paths, rides and routes. Well worth having.

    Illinois Official Bicycle Map(s). http://www.dot.state.il.us

    Sig Chicago

    Tags:

  2. Scic wrote:

    > Some states, like IL, have bike specific maps, which indicate roads to avoid and also show which
    > roads have paved/unpaved shoulders.
    >
    > For those of you in IL who are not aware of these maps, they're free from IDOT. Each map (series
    > of at least 13 covering the entire state by regions) also has an extensive list of
    > Conservation/Rec areas, Historic sites, Points of interest and Bike paths, rides and routes. Well
    > worth having.
    >
    > Illinois Official Bicycle Map(s). http://www.dot.state.il.us

    I got this link from a thread "some while back."

    Thank Brian DeSousa

    http://briandesousa.com/bicycling/info/statemaps.htm

    Chuck Anderson • Boulder, CO CycleTourist at http://www.CycleTourist.com attbi.com Tolerance is
    recognizing that other people have different ideals and needs than you. Compromise is acting on
    that knowledge.

  3. Chuck Anderson wrote:

    > Scic wrote:
    >
    > > Some states, like IL, have bike specific maps, which indicate roads to avoid and also show which
    > > roads have paved/unpaved shoulders.
    > >
    > > For those of you in IL who are not aware of these maps, they're free from IDOT. Each map (series
    > > of at least 13 covering the entire state by regions) also has an extensive list of
    > > Conservation/Rec areas, Historic sites, Points of interest and Bike paths, rides and routes.
    > > Well worth having.
    > >
    > > Illinois Official Bicycle Map(s). http://www.dot.state.il.us
    >
    > I got this link from a thread "some while back."
    >
    > Thank Brian DeSousa
    >
    > http://briandesousa.com/bicycling/info/statemaps.htm

    I should add my own small collection. I don't how much of it is redundant (with Brian's site).

    Idaho http://www2.state.id.us/itd/planning/reports/bikepedplan/planpage.html

    Illinois http://www.dot.state.il.us/bikemap/STATE.HTM http://www.bikelib.org/roads/maps.html
    http://www.bikelib.org/trails/git.html

    Kansas http://www.ink.org/public/kdot/burrail/bike/bikemap.htm

    Kentucky http://www2.campbellsvil.edu/~don/bicycle.html

    Massachusetts http://www.bikemaps.com/

    Nebraska http://www.dor.state.ne.us/info/docs/bikegide99.pdf

    North Dakota http://www.state.nd.us/ndparks/Trails/biking.htm

    Ohio http://www.dot.state.oh.us/bike/default.htm

    Oregon http://www.odot.state.or.us/techserv/bikewalk/mapsinfo.htm

    Texas http://mediaserv.lib.utexas.edu/cgi-bin/txdot-show.pl?client=txdot&image=tcande02.sid&levels-
    =5&originx=768&originy=2548&lastlevel=2&fullheight=5421&fullwidth=7310&level=1&size=5&image.x=399&-
    image.y=341

    Washington http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/hlrd/Sub-defaults/Bicycle-default.htm . (I have not verified
    these recently.)

    Bicycle Colorado Free Packet (including CO DOT state bicycle map)
    http://bicyclecolo.org/site/page.cfm?PageID=28

    or also:

    http://bicyclecolo.org/site/showitem.cfm?Category=37&searchtype=Category&Catalog=34

    Chuck Anderson • Boulder, CO CycleTourist at http://www.CycleTourist.com attbi.com Tolerance is
    recognizing that other people have different ideals and needs than you. Compromise is acting on
    that knowledge.

  4. Scic

    Scic Guest

  5. Add these to the list: Bicycle Suitability Maps for Missouri can be obtained free of charge by
    contacting the Missouri Department of Natural Resources: P.O. Box 176, Jefferson City, MO. 65102
    (1-800-361-4827.) Set of three maps on heavy water resistant stock that fit nicely into a map
    pocket. Line of sight, shoulder width, traffic counts, pavement condition and other criteria are
    used to determine the three levels of suitability, high - med - low. I have used them for several
    years and found them to be useful as a general guide... A few roads rated as least suitable are
    actually better for cycling than some listed as highly suitable. Unfortunately these maps can not be
    ordered on line.

    Todd

    "Scic" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > >From: Chuck Anderson
    >
    > >Thank Brian DeSousa
    >
    > >http://briandesousa.com/bicycling/info/statemaps.htm
    >
    > I will. Thanks.
    >
    > Sig Chicago

  6. Jacques

    Jacques Guest

    I would have liked to have these maps 10 years ago when I was staying in Illinois, but anyway it was
    so flat and boring that I never really found any motivation to ride more than 10 miles in the
    cornfields (the place was Champaign/Urbana). Please take no offense. It was very nice in other
    respects !

    Jacques

    On Mon, 17 Mar 2003 01:02:05 +0000, Scic wrote:

    > Some states, like IL, have bike specific maps, which indicate roads to avoid and also show which
    > roads have paved/unpaved shoulders.
    >
    > For those of you in IL who are not aware of these maps, they're free from IDOT. Each map (series
    > of at least 13 covering the entire state by regions) also has an extensive list of
    > Conservation/Rec areas, Historic sites, Points of interest and Bike paths, rides and routes. Well
    > worth having.
    >
    > Illinois Official Bicycle Map(s). http://www.dot.state.il.us
    >
    > Sig Chicago

  7. Scic

    Scic Guest

    >From: "jacques"

    >Please take no offense. It was very nice in other respects !

    No offense. Too bad you never got a chance to ride the Shawnee hills further south.

    Sig Chicago