Bike Friendly Maps

Scic

Guest
Some states, like IL, have bike specific maps, which indicate roads to avoid and also show which
roads have paved/unpaved shoulders.

For those of you in IL who are not aware of these maps, they're free from IDOT. Each map (series of
at least 13 covering the entire state by regions) also has an extensive list of Conservation/Rec
areas, Historic sites, Points of interest and Bike paths, rides and routes. Well worth having.

Illinois Official Bicycle Map(s). http://www.dot.state.il.us

Sig Chicago

Scic wrote:

> Some states, like IL, have bike specific maps, which indicate roads to avoid and also show which
> roads have paved/unpaved shoulders.
>
> For those of you in IL who are not aware of these maps, they're free from IDOT. Each map (series
> of at least 13 covering the entire state by regions) also has an extensive list of
> Conservation/Rec areas, Historic sites, Points of interest and Bike paths, rides and routes. Well
> worth having.
>
> Illinois Official Bicycle Map(s). http://www.dot.state.il.us

I got this link from a thread "some while back."

Thank Brian DeSousa

http://briandesousa.com/bicycling/info/statemaps.htm

Chuck Anderson • Boulder, CO CycleTourist at http://www.CycleTourist.com attbi.com Tolerance is
recognizing that other people have different ideals and needs than you. Compromise is acting on
that knowledge.

Chuck Anderson wrote:

> Scic wrote:
>
> > Some states, like IL, have bike specific maps, which indicate roads to avoid and also show which
> > roads have paved/unpaved shoulders.
> >
> > For those of you in IL who are not aware of these maps, they're free from IDOT. Each map (series
> > of at least 13 covering the entire state by regions) also has an extensive list of
> > Conservation/Rec areas, Historic sites, Points of interest and Bike paths, rides and routes.
> > Well worth having.
> >
> > Illinois Official Bicycle Map(s). http://www.dot.state.il.us
>
> I got this link from a thread "some while back."
>
> Thank Brian DeSousa
>
> http://briandesousa.com/bicycling/info/statemaps.htm

I should add my own small collection. I don't how much of it is redundant (with Brian's site).

Idaho http://www2.state.id.us/itd/planning/reports/bikepedplan/planpage.html

Illinois http://www.dot.state.il.us/bikemap/STATE.HTM http://www.bikelib.org/roads/maps.html
http://www.bikelib.org/trails/git.html

Kansas http://www.ink.org/public/kdot/burrail/bike/bikemap.htm

Kentucky http://www2.campbellsvil.edu/~don/bicycle.html

Massachusetts http://www.bikemaps.com/

Nebraska http://www.dor.state.ne.us/info/docs/bikegide99.pdf

North Dakota http://www.state.nd.us/ndparks/Trails/biking.htm

Ohio http://www.dot.state.oh.us/bike/default.htm

Oregon http://www.odot.state.or.us/techserv/bikewalk/mapsinfo.htm

Texas http://mediaserv.lib.utexas.edu/cgi-bin/txdot-show.pl?client=txdot&image=tcande02.sid&levels-
=5&originx=768&originy=2548&lastlevel=2&fullheight=5421&fullwidth=7310&level=1&size=5&image.x=399&-
image.y=341

Washington http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/hlrd/Sub-defaults/Bicycle-default.htm . (I have not verified
these recently.)

Bicycle Colorado Free Packet (including CO DOT state bicycle map)
http://bicyclecolo.org/site/page.cfm?PageID=28

or also:

http://bicyclecolo.org/site/showitem.cfm?Category=37&searchtype=Category&Catalog=34

Chuck Anderson • Boulder, CO CycleTourist at http://www.CycleTourist.com attbi.com Tolerance is
recognizing that other people have different ideals and needs than you. Compromise is acting on
that knowledge.

Add these to the list: Bicycle Suitability Maps for Missouri can be obtained free of charge by
contacting the Missouri Department of Natural Resources: P.O. Box 176, Jefferson City, MO. 65102
(1-800-361-4827.) Set of three maps on heavy water resistant stock that fit nicely into a map
pocket. Line of sight, shoulder width, traffic counts, pavement condition and other criteria are
used to determine the three levels of suitability, high - med - low. I have used them for several
years and found them to be useful as a general guide... A few roads rated as least suitable are
actually better for cycling than some listed as highly suitable. Unfortunately these maps can not be
ordered on line.

Todd

"Scic" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> >From: Chuck Anderson
>
> >Thank Brian DeSousa
>
> >http://briandesousa.com/bicycling/info/statemaps.htm
>
> I will. Thanks.
>
> Sig Chicago

I would have liked to have these maps 10 years ago when I was staying in Illinois, but anyway it was
so flat and boring that I never really found any motivation to ride more than 10 miles in the
cornfields (the place was Champaign/Urbana). Please take no offense. It was very nice in other
respects !

Jacques

On Mon, 17 Mar 2003 01:02:05 +0000, Scic wrote:

> Some states, like IL, have bike specific maps, which indicate roads to avoid and also show which
> roads have paved/unpaved shoulders.
>
> For those of you in IL who are not aware of these maps, they're free from IDOT. Each map (series
> of at least 13 covering the entire state by regions) also has an extensive list of
> Conservation/Rec areas, Historic sites, Points of interest and Bike paths, rides and routes. Well
> worth having.
>
> Illinois Official Bicycle Map(s). http://www.dot.state.il.us
>
> Sig Chicago

>From: "jacques"

>Please take no offense. It was very nice in other respects !

No offense. Too bad you never got a chance to ride the Shawnee hills further south.

Sig Chicago