Road Cycling · Public discussion

bike messenging

Started by greggery peccary · · Last activity · 25 posts · 1,185 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
2 October 2005
Last activity
10 October 2005
Original author
greggery peccary
Posts
25
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,185
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–25 of 25
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. exterminate all rational thought said:

    thanks Robert, very good stuff. but this news about the required running of
    lights is too bad. you see i want to try to do something different one or
    two days per week to get away from what i do now which is basically watch
    people die (harborview). and im tired of seeing CHI S/P bike vs (pole, car,
    ped, sidewalk etc.) the reason it hasnt been me is because i keep myself
    seen and safe. again thanks for the help. keep safe!
    -alan

    Alan, I appreciate your safety-first mentality, which,
    you may be surprised to learn, is something you and I share.
    I too have seen plenty of people, friends, lying in
    hospital beds, seriously injured, maimed for life, and I
    have no desire to go that way myself.

    Keep in mind that when an experienced rider is injured
    in a car-bike collision it is statistically likely that
    the rider was riding lawfully and was not 'at fault' in
    the collision. Most of these wrecks involve a driver
    who fails to notice a cyclist, while, in turn, the
    cyclist fails to notice this failure to notice. So you
    see it is really the cyclist's awareness, not his
    adherance to traffic law, that is the critical factor
    determining whether or not he gets crunched.

    I believe it can be shown that rolling through red lights
    is statistically safer than rolling through green lights
    for experienced adult riders. This is because adult
    riders tend to approach red light running with a heightened
    sense of awareness, whereas they tend to approach greens
    in a state akin to REM sleep. And the hazards associated
    with green light intersections--right hooks, cars turning
    in front of you or into you from the right and left,
    light runners, jaywalkers, failures to notice the cyclist
    from all sides, the fun never ends--demand a heightened
    sense of awareness also. Bike messengers run reds on
    a constant basis, yet if you made some sort of tally you
    would find that they are injured more often under green
    lights than red ones. Myself, I've busted about a half
    million red lights, literally, and never been touched.
    My only serious car-bike collision came when I was
    riding in a completely legal and proper 'vehicular'
    fashion.

    You wouldn't have to ride packages for very long to
    realize that red lights can be had as safely as greens
    (or, green lights are just as dangerous as reds) and that
    'keep myself seen' is a horribly limited strategy for safe
    cycling. Ultimately, there is only so far that 'keep
    myself seen' can get you, then you're on your own.
    If there is anything that being a bike messenger will
    teach, it's that motorist vision and capacity to notice
    cyclists is fundamentally unreliable, and that it's
    ultimately up to the rider, plain and simple, to find
    a way to deal with this reality and thus stay out of the ER.
    You have to ride in such a way that dependence on motorist
    vision is absolutely minimized. Don't put your eggs in
    that basket. Following traffic laws and striving for
    visibility to others may be good and joyful things,
    but they really have very little to do with staying out
    of the ER.

    So I say get that messenger job. Run those lights. Be
    careful, no matter what color they are. Have fun.

    Robert

  2. Geezer Boy said:

    This is all fascinating. May I be so rude as to ask what these better
    jobs pay

    Just enough to move into a nice neighborhood, make
    the neighbors nervous, and depress the property
    values.

    Quoted message said:

    many hours per week work?

    Varies. I do four days, about 35 hours. Wednesdays,
    Mondays, or Fridays are the best days to take off,
    in that order.

    R

  3. greggery peccary said:

    hey i'm thinking about applying to work as a messenger. i know there are
    some of youse who do this and could use your worldly advice. are these jobs
    hard to get? i am thinking it could be fun because i love riding downtown
    and im pretty good at it. im not a racer but in good shape. i do follow the
    traffic laws (unlike most messengers ive seen). are there some services in
    the seattle area that are better than others? years ago i was a super
    shuttle driver in la and didnt like the dispatch favotitism there. can i
    avoid this?
    -alan

    ok, I'm not a messenger, but this [censored] me off and probably would
    really infuriate one:

    http://www.nike.com/nikelab/time_travels/index.jhtml

    Robert,
    What's your take on this?

    \\paul

    --
    Useless Note: I really can't stand Nike. As a musician, I watched them
    rip off a Minor Threat (one of the most influential punk bands) album
    cover buy changing the red/black image to blue/black, changing "minor"
    to "major" (the name of the skateboard tour was "Major Threat), and the
    kicker: putting Nike swooshes on Ian Macaye's shoes. Nike's labor
    practices and they indulgent consumeristic nature surround their
    products is something that Minor Threat and especially Ian's later band,
    Fugazi, really spoke out against. Needless to say fans of the bands
    (skateboarders, funny enough) spoke out loud enough against the poster
    than Nike pulled it.

    Paul M. Hobson
    Georgia Institute of Technology
    ..:change the words to numbers
    if you want to reply to me:.

  4. Paul Hobson said:

    Robert,
    What's your take on this?

    I was not infruriated. Mildly annoyed maybe. I do
    hope the guy in there, if he is a real messenger,
    got some real cash to be exploited and embarrassed
    like that.

    I don't think we've seen the peak of corporate
    America's appropriation of messengers and messenger
    images. They are always about 15 years behind.

    I think/hope we will start seeing more elaborate footage
    of pro messengers' smooth riding in traffic which was
    hinted at in the Lucas Brunelle alleycat videos. It
    warms my heart to see old pros doing their thing--can't
    fake that.

    Robert

  5. Greggery, most of what the experienced messengers have written seems
    true to me. I worked for Quik Trak in Manhattan (quik-trak.com) for the
    summer of 1997 and can honestly say it was the most fun job I have ever
    had. It was the summer after my sophmore year, my dad had just moved to
    the city for work, and I had nothing to do. I flew up, and within a
    week I had a job.

    Here are my thoughts: I got a job pretty quickly for a number of
    reasons. I showed up in bike garb -- they said later that they could
    tell I was a cyclist. Also, many of the people whom Quik Trak employed
    at the time seemed to me to be the transient type -- so they always had
    openings. Don't get me wrong, QT definitely had some hot shot riders
    like the ones who have been posting to this thread, but there were only
    a few of those. What they saw in me I guess was a responsible,
    well-educated guy who was going to show up on time and do the best he
    could. They did know that I was new to the city, but that was OK.

    Of course, that meant that I didn't make much money for a while. Also,
    I should say that I wouldn't have been able to make it if I had been
    covering all the bills. Being able to crash at my dad's helped,
    obviously. At that time, Quik Trak paid on a 50 percent commission.
    Back then their base charge was $7.50 per package, so the rider's take
    would have been $3.25 for that delivery. But the real money came in
    when it was out of your home zone, or if it was a "double" or "triple
    rush," or if it was a night rate package after 5 pm. I remember some
    deliveries costing the client as much as $50, so my take was $25 just
    for that one item.

    Being new, I definitely didn't get the best jobs. My dispatcher was
    kind and courteous to me, but I know he had riders on his roster he was
    loyal to. That's OK, over the course of about 6 weeks I know I had
    proved myself to be reliable, and that helped. I probably averaged only
    $70 per day during those first weeks, but later on I was able to clear
    $100. My biggest day was around $170 and about 33 packages -- I was
    exhausted.

    Some fun memories were: riding up Riverside Drive to Harlem; delivering
    ice cream to the set of Regis and Kathy Lee; learning to hold on to
    trucks; learning a good trackstand; delivering to the World Trade
    Center.

    Of course, there were really bad days, too. The first week I wanted to
    quit. I could have killed myself a couple of times. Once my chain broke
    when I was, foolishly, riding between two buses. I was hit by taxis
    three times, one time taco-ing my front wheel, but never getting
    injured somehow. I learned a LOT about in-traffic riding.

    Now that I am a struggling singer who teaches college, I often remember
    my messenger days with great pleasure. You should definitely give it a
    try. There's nothing to lose, right?

    Best wishes,
    Oliver

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.