bike newbie, needs advice on hybrid bikes.

Bouff

Jan 13, 2010
After spending the last week researching bikes and looking at forums I decided to get some personal input. I am 23 and this is my first bike (since I was a kid). The only bike shop in town only sells Trek, but an hour away is a lbs that sells Giant, Raleigh, and Schwinn. I've narrowed the bikes down to hybrid bikes with women's frames and front suspension. I'm not even sure if front suspension is necessary.:confused: The Trek is the most expensive, but it would be nice to get a bike from the local shop.

Trek 7100 Trek Bikes | Bikes | Bike Path | 7100 WSD

Giant Cypress Cypress W (Pearl/Lime) (2010) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | United States

Raleigh Route 3.0 Raleigh Bicycles Route 3.0

Schwinn Voyageur GS Schwinn: 2010 Voyageur GS Women's

How do these bikes compare?

I can tell you right now you'll dive foward pretty far when braking hard with a front suspension. I find that a bit annoying with suspension forks even though the nice part is it does absorb a lot of shock and you can have fun hitting parking lot curbs with it and rolling over them without a problem. When the bike is new, they seem stiff but after a couple of weeks, boy can they absorb shock.

Anyway, I'm going to eat and stuff and look at the bikes on your list.

hi. can i ask you why it is that you want a hybrid and not a mountain bike which while not as comfortable as a hybrid, it's not as 'just stroll on down the road' either. you can put slicks (road specific mountain bike tires) on it, can have front suspension ( rear to if you really want it but it's pricey) , and will adhere to many more options of riding as well.

I used my mountain bike ( my first bike) as an all in one and it was tough and not as heavy as you might think and surprisingly easy to handle. those hybrids are not too light overall either.

sorry if i'm confusing you, i just want to make sure you really know what you are after. the hybrid will pretty much be like a big tricycle. the mountain bike, an all in one fun loving, strength building, bike handling skills building, maximum overdrive, at your every call and beckon machine that you ( and everyone around you) will be proud of, or so i'd like to think.

Trek 7100
has front suspension, old-technology headset, grips shifters, chainguard, hole on frame to install backrack, there's one rear gear that's a lot larger than the others (in my experience, this does not always produce the smoothest shifting), Sram rear derailleur (that's for the Sram fans, I won't touch the Shimano vs. Sram debate with a 10 foot pole since I've never ridden Sram), 35mm tires which will make you feel too many bumps on the road (37mm in my opinion would be the minimum I'd go), 14-34 rear gears which suggests to me this is a freewheel and not a cassette (not only is this old technology but I think 11T in the rear is ideal if you have long stretches of downhill where you want to save a lot of time by going faster. Smaller cogs in the rear can make a larger difference than installing larger chainrings in the front)
Regarding grip shifters: When I had manual labor jobs where my arms were a little tired after work, turning gears on grips shifters gave me what felt like electric shocks in my forearms. And when climbing uphill, if you exert a lot of force to push upward, you may find your hand slipping on the grip shifters when raising your butt off the seat to push harder which means you might accidently change gears while you have a tremendous amount of force on the pedals. This produces a sort of grinding noise where your bike doesn't seem to want to shift. It's annoying and one of the reasons I'd rather avoid grip shifters altogether.
Regarding the adjustable stems: I know they look ideal but I have one on a bicycle I have and when it was adjusted very high up, I could barely turn a corner a high speed. It was somewhat dangerous like that so I adjusted it lower and ended up with an angle that looks similar to the angle you have on most bikes anyway. So, in my opinion, adjustable stems are not absolutely necessary.
Giant Cypress
has front suspension, old-technology headset, grip shifters, no chainguard (you can always have one installed or wear one of those velcro reflective stipe things that look cool), hole on frame to install backrack, one gear much larger than the other ones in the rear, 14-34T freewheel (old technology, slower), 38mm tires
Raleight 3.0
has front suspension, old-technology headset, grip shifters, chainguard, hole on frame to install backrack, one gear much larger than the others in the rear, 14-34T freewheel (old technology), 40mm tires,
Schwinn Voyageur
has front suspension, old technology headset, grip shifters, hole on frame to install backrack, chainguard, 42T chainring in the front may not be enough to accelerate during long declines if you want to save a lot of time, one gear much larger than the others in the rear, 13-34T which again is probably an old technology freewheel
Looking at Schwinn, you have the Sporterra Sport which has a sealed bottom bracket, Shimano Alivio rear derailleur (much better than the Altus which is on some of the bicycles on your list), Shimano EF50 rapidfire shifters (way better), Shimano 11-30T cassette (which has more progressive gearing and goes down to 11T), a newer technology FSA headset, 37mm tires, pedals that seem to have a better grip and no chainguard but that's no biggie because this is a better bike in my opinion. There's also no front suspension to avoid diving forward like crazy if you have to brake hard. Even if the SUGGESTED retail is $450, bicycle shops will often have them cheaper than retail but this time of year is ideal. They'll probably be real horny to sell you something so offer them a lower price if it's last year's model. Remember to get either a (minimum 12mm) Kryptonite cable lock or a Kryptonite U-lock (the videos on the Internet of people easilly defeating those no longer applies since they now use regular keys).
Some bike that I like: GT Traffic 3.0, Kona Smoke and Minelli Felipe (Canadian bicycle). The GT Traffic 3.0 has reflective paint, tailight in the saddle, and skewers that lock so you can't steal the wheels as easilly and 40mm tires. The Kona Smoke has 47mm tires and fenders already installed (this was quoted to me as $380 CDN even though the retail is $430, the Canadian dollar lately is about the same as the US dollar) Shimano Deore rear derailleur and grip shifters. But, for the Kona Smoke, I'd rather just change the shifters and sell them on eBay. The Minelli Felipe has a 52T chainring in the front which is only usefull if you live in an area like mine where you can see the road going downhill for several miles. Instead of pedaling like a madman and sweating a lot, I'd rather just have the luxury of pedaling slower on a large chainring in the front and a smaller cog in the rear.
Anyway, I might have a look at the other bikes by Raleight and Giant just for the fun of it.

roadhouse said:
hi. can i ask you why it is that you want a hybrid and not a mountain bike which while not as comfortable as a hybrid, it's not as 'just stroll on down the road' either. you can put slicks (road specific mountain bike tires) on it, can have front suspension ( rear to if you really want it but it's pricey) , and will adhere to many more options of riding as well.

I used my mountain bike ( my first bike) as an all in one and it was tough and not as heavy as you might think and surprisingly easy to handle. those hybrids are not too light overall either.

sorry if i'm confusing you, i just want to make sure you really know what you are after. the hybrid will pretty much be like a big tricycle. the mountain bike, an all in one fun loving, strength building, bike handling skills building, maximum overdrive, at your every call and beckon machine that you ( and everyone around you) will be proud of, or so i'd like to think.

I've ridden mountain bikes, road bikes, 24 inch BMX bikes, cruiser style bicycles ETC WHATEVER ANYWAY and can tell you most hybrids have the most comfortable riding positions and are often "the best of both worlds". (I'm also about to build my first touring bike from the ground up.) The "better handling capability" you're talking about with mountain bikes comes at the expense of having a lot of weight on your hands which is fatiguing and annoying for longer rides. I have a cheap mountain bike from Canadian Tire for winter biking (with a snow mobile helmet and snowpants, gosh I love winter biking, it's so insane). I want that kind of control in the snow, but for the rest of the year, I wouldn't touch a mountain bike.

hybridbkrdr said:
I've ridden mountain bikes, road bikes, 24 inch BMX bikes, cruiser style bicycles ETC WHATEVER ANYWAY and can tell you most hybrids have the most comfortable riding positions and are often "the best of both worlds". (I'm also about to build my first touring bike from the ground up.) The "better handling capability" you're talking about with mountain bikes comes at the expense of having a lot of weight on your hands which is fatiguing and annoying for longer rides. I have a cheap mountain bike from Canadian Tire for winter biking (with a snow mobile helmet and snowpants, gosh I love winter biking, it's so insane). I want that kind of control in the snow, but for the rest of the year, I wouldn't touch a mountain bike.

do you have two screenames? :rolleyes: i see what you're saying but for a first time newbie kinda rider as Bouff sounds like she is, i was suggesting that albeit a hybrid is the kind of "let's go to grandma's house, i'll bring the cookies" kind of bike but if she was wanting to really get into riding and be aggressive with it meaning stay around in the pedaling scene, than a mountain bike would more than likely suffice, last a lot longer, keep her more interested in riding more often as the skies the limit as to what you can do on a mountain bike and build her skills up bar none as it's far more 'roundable' when it comes to bikes.

and pretty much every manufacturer makes female specific mountain bikes and they make them in pink too, if you were wondering. and cheap as in $500.00 new, even less than that for entry level at bike stores or at lest they do here in Houston. not the top of the line obviously but my gary fisher marlin was just under $500 and fast and bulletproof if not more so than the likes of $2000.000 and up bikes. easy to fix up, no worries when it comes to scratches as it's a badge of honor and much like a Mr. Potato Head doll, interchangable with a variety of ability.

anywho, just a suggestion but can i ask are you going to grandmas house or are you wanting to really ride a bike? think about it, OP, and maybe talk to some other people at your store about it too.

my two cents and i hope i helped more than confused you Bouff.

bump because as you all can see, we have spammer attempting to sell immitaion articles of junk.

The other bikes I find acceptable are the Giant Transend DX W although it seems to have a headset which is integrated into the frame which some people claim may be a problem if you have a problem with the headset and it ruins the frame, well, you'll have to replace the entire frame. But, even though that bicycle is more expensive at a suggested retail of $540, the fenders and backrack are already installed. And it has comfort grips, kickstand, bell, reflective saddle, Rapidfire shifters, Alivio rear derailleur, 11-30T cassette. But, is has 35mm tires and no chainguard. If you wanted to install larger tires, the fenders may not go over them.
None of the Raleighs I liked.
Actually, the choice in my opinion would be either the Schwinn Sporterra Sport (even though it doesn't have a chainguard) and if you could possibly find a GT dealer, the GT Traffic 3.0 which does not have any flaws now that I think about it.
The GT Traffic 3.0 has 36 hole rims instead of 32 for the Schwinn Sporterra Sport (stronger wheels in case you're looking at traffic going downhill and can't see the potholes ahead of you (it's happened to me before and the shock on the rear wheel was so severe, I realized later I had to tighten the area where the bearings are to stop it from wobbling lol). It also has a chainguard, puncture resistant tires with reflective sidewalls and all of the other advantages the Schwinn model has over the other bicycles. Gee, I didn't realize the GT was such a good model. All you have to do with that bike really is just put on Axiom Rainrunner Trek fenders and you're ready to go.
GT Bicycles | G10TRAF3F - Traffic 3.0 Women's

Rainrunner Trekk Reflex Full Coverage Fenders Fenders Products Axiom Performance Gear

Roadhouse, whenever I make the switch from a hybrid to a mountain bike when the snow starts to fall, there's the initial shock of being on a diferent style bike then it passes and I get used to it. But, my first impression is I'm always negatively shocked when I sit on a mountain bike again. Then when the snow melts and hop on a hybrid again, it's instant joy. I used to live in an area where the buses only passed until 6PM and I had to work passed midnight. I rode to work on a bicycle for years all year round.

Most people don't want to spend hours for example on a road bike with pain in their neck and shoulders. It's the quickest way to make sure a beginner will get disgusted and just forget about it.

Look, for the original poster, and if anyone else is reading, try out different styles in a departement store with long aisles and where no one will bother you if you hop on a bike and try it. Try different styles and see for yourself. If you have an upright position, it will be glory. Except of course if you're riding a cruiser which in the long run can irritate your knees if you're like me. I'm not talking about completely laid back style like a cruiser. I'm talking about the upright position you get on a properly sized comfortable hybrid which in my opinion is the only way to go.

And no, I don't have two screen names and I'm not spamming. I wrote a lot of detailed stuff there with years of experience. Some people I think could learn from it.

hybridbkrdr said:
Gee, I didn't realize the GT was such a good model. All you have to do with that bike really is just put on Axiom Rainrunner Trek fenders and you're ready to go.
GT Bicycles | G10TRAF3F - Traffic 3.0 Women's

right on with this one, the gt. this i can appreciate moreso than the a hybrid. when it comes to the hybrid, i think false teeth, hearing aids and other forms of geriatric, not 23 years of age.

but not with that gt, that is a perfect bike for a beginner or even not a beginner. good call!

hybridbkrdr said:
Roadhouse, whenever I make the switch from a hybrid to a mountain bike when the snow starts to fall, there's the initial shock of being on a diferent style bike then it passes and I get used to it. But, my first impression is I'm always negatively shocked when I sit on a mountain bike again. Then when the snow melts and hop on a hybrid again, it's instant joy. I used to live in an area where the buses only passed until 6PM and I had to work passed midnight. I rode to work on a bicycle for years all year round.

Most people don't want to spend hours for example on a road bike with pain in their neck and shoulders. It's the quickest way to make sure a beginner will get disgusted and just forget about it.

Look, for the original poster, and if anyone else is reading, try out different styles in a departement store with long aisles and where no one will bother you if you hop on a bike and try it. Try different styles and see for yourself. If you have an upright position, it will be glory. Except of course if you're riding a cruiser which in the long run can irritate your knees if you're like me. I'm not talking about completely laid back style like a cruiser. I'm talking about the upright position you get on a properly sized comfortable hybrid which in my opinion is the only way to go.

And no, I don't have two screen names and I'm not spamming. I wrote a lot of detailed stuff there with years of experience. Some people I think could learn from it.

i didn't mean you as a spammer, i meant the other threads that are all over this forum that just popped up. it happens on this forum a lot for some reason, people selling **** and they go about it by posting threads in every category of this site. one of the good mods will soon take them all off though.

and i would be the first one to say that yes, you really know what you are talking about, i'll never say you don't or that any of your info and insight is to be overlooked or underwritten, not at all. hell, i'm not interested in those kinds of bikes but after you posted, i might just go get one! :D not really but i learnt a bit so thanks just the same.

anywho, i've never needed any time to transition from one bike to another, i've always been happy to just ride and i thank gawd i have two feet and two arms to do so with but that's just me.

btw, i as well first got into riding as a means to and from work for over two years. first it was a mongoose 26" mountain bike from walmart for about six months and then it was the gary fisher mountain bike. i never had problems with body aches after that or ride positioning but either way, we have something in common.

here's my current all in one that is currently for sale :

PhotoMoto0020.jpg

anywho, i do believe i've jacked this thread all kinds of selfish by now so you take it back over for the sake of the girl interested in hybrids. nice chatting.

roadhouse said:
btw, i as well first got into riding as a means to and from work for over two years. first it was a mongoose 26" mountain bike from walmart for about six months and then it was the gary fisher mountain bike. i never had problems with body aches after that or ride positioning but either way, we have something in common.

here's my current all in one that is currently for sale :

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k144/xcP_2006/motorola/PhotoMoto0020.jpg

anywho, i do believe i've jacked this thread all kinds of selfish by now so you take it back over for the sake of the girl interested in hybrids. nice chatting.

LOL, at the three water bottles.

Bouff said:
After spending the last week researching bikes and looking at forums I decided to get some personal input. I am 23 and this is my first bike (since I was a kid). The only bike shop in town only sells Trek, but an hour away is a lbs that sells Giant, Raleigh, and Schwinn. I've narrowed the bikes down to hybrid bikes with women's frames and front suspension. I'm not even sure if front suspension is necessary.:confused: The Trek is the most expensive, but it would be nice to get a bike from the local shop.
Let me add that I do not think that a reputable bike shop would-or-should sell a Hybrid which has a suspension fork because those forks are no better than the suspension forks found on a WalMart/Target MTBs.

If you feel that you need a bike which has a supension fork, then get a MTB whose fork has 80mm-or-more of travel.

BTW. Based on the bikes you previously mentioned, you may want to consider a version of one of the bikes which have a 'rigid' fork -- either (but, not necessarily) the Raleigh Detour 3.5 (2010) or the Raleigh Roadster (2010) ...

Remember, it is better to ride around obstacles than through them ...

If you plan to ride where there are a lot of potholes, then slow down & don't smash into them!

Thanks for all the advice, though I have to say I may be more confused now than when I started. :)
I definitely know I want a hybrid not a MTB. My riding will be only on road, it's just too swampy here to take the bike off road. I guess I was wrong about the front suspension and I'd be better off with out it. I know it adds comfort but I'm only 110 lbs so it probably wouldn't help that much anyways. The first bike I looked at was a Trek 7000. I didn't add it to the list because I thought I'd need the suspension. I am now reconsidering it. Today I test rode the Giant Cruiser, it has front suspension and 21 speeds. I prefer the upright seating, even though I did feel a little more like a grandma. I'm not sure if I will need all those speeds, the others I'm looking at are 7 speeds. (It did have a chainguard suprisingly) I looked at the Raleigh Detour 3.5 but the smallest is a size 16 (women's medium), which is probably too big, I'm only 5'2.

so i guess I'm leaning towards the Trek 7000 at this point.

Bouff said:
Thanks for all the advice, though I have to say I may be more confused now than when I started. :)
I definitely know I want a hybrid not a MTB. My riding will be only on road, it's just too swampy here to take the bike off road. I guess I was wrong about the front suspension and I'd be better off with out it. I know it adds comfort but I'm only 110 lbs so it probably wouldn't help that much anyways. The first bike I looked at was a Trek 7000. I didn't add it to the list because I thought I'd need the suspension. I am now reconsidering it. Today I test rode the Giant Cruiser, it has front suspension and 21 speeds. I prefer the upright seating, even though I did feel a little more like a grandma. I'm not sure if I will need all those speeds, the others I'm looking at are 7 speeds. (It did have a chainguard suprisingly) I looked at the Raleigh Detour 3.5 but the smallest is a size 16 (women's medium), which is probably too big, I'm only 5'2.

so i guess I'm leaning towards the Trek 7000 at this point.
You should bring a tape measure with you if you go to the shop that has Raleighs (ask if they have the XSm bike in stock) to see if the virtual top tube really is as long as indicated or if it is a typo ... based on the incremental differences of the OTHER frame sizes, you would think that the XSm would have a ~533mm top tube instead of a 552mm top tube ...

Even if the top tube on the Raleigh is 552mm, that extra ~3/4" over the XS Trek isn't as much as you might think; so, if the price is signficantly different, you may want to consider the Raleigh.

BTW. I think that XS Trek is really intended for someone who is between 4'10" & 5'0" ... or, shorter!?!