Bike setup issue

jaybeex2

Apr 15, 2012
Hi everyone newby here, ive just taken up road biking to compliment my running. Im 6' 4" and am suffering from pain in the backside area while cycling. In fact after 3 or 4 miles it starts to really ache, ive tried several seats and padded pants but to no avail. Ive read in several articles that a rough guide is that when sat on the bike the bars should obscure the front wheel spindle, my bars are way behind the spindle. The seat is as far back as it'll go and the stem is 130mm long, the longest ive seen anywhere. The frame is 57mm centre to centre for both the top tube and the seat tube. It really feels like there's waaaay too much weight on my backside as if i lean forward it eases the pain. Does anyone make an adjustable reach stem?

Thanks
John

Originally Posted by jaybeex2 .

....... It really feels like there's waaaay too much weight on my backside as if i lean forward it eases the pain.
I have back problems and I find that riding in a upright position for any amount of time can cause lower back... discomfort. Proper seat height along with the road bike configuration helps to take much of the weight and jolts off my lower back.

I agree with xpc316e, you will want to check fit. But there are a ton of tall bikes out there.

I can't see how you sit on the bike because I don't ride with you, but right away I can tell you that bike's too small. Most fitters would put you on a frame in the 60-63 cm range.

In my experience most lower back pain is caused by poor posture, riding with too much curve of the spine. People do this for various reasons--lack of flexibility, lack of core strength, the need to shift body weight off the arms, and simply the lack of room on the bike for proper back extension.

I'm guessing that while the last two might not be the sole reason for your discomfort, they at least play a role. Therefore, your objective should be to make that 57 cm bike fit as much as possible like a bike 3-6 cm larger. First, move the saddle back. If you have a zero-setback seat post, get one with some setback. This will shift your center of gravity back and make some room to stretch the back. Next, invest in a longer stem with some rise. This can be problematic because riser stems don't come in longer lengths. An 8-degree stem,though, such as Deda, flipped, will give you 2 degrees more rise than a 6-degree stem. I'm presuming you'll need a 13 or 14 cm stem because that 57 cm frame is so far off the mark.

Chances are that any accommodation you make on this frame will still fall far short of optimum, so the best advice I can give is to buy a bike that fits you.

I am not disputing the advice to make sure your bike fits you. Perhaps at minimum you can test ride a larger bike and see if that helps before going deeper into this. But what is throwing me off is you say it starts to hurt after only 3-4 miles.

At first I thought you were straining your lower back by cramping up somehow. However if I am reading you correctly it is your butt that hurts and not your lower back? You say you think it could be from putting too much weight on your seat. This is where I have a problem because I think you should be able to ride 3-4 miles sitting upright with virtually all of your weight on your seat without significant pain. (I'm assuming if you are a runner you are not way overweight.) Perhaps the seat is a really bad fit for you. And you said you tried other seats. Even if you get more of your weight onto your hands and feet you still might have a problem after a few more miles.

So do you get this kind of pain doing anything else? Can you sit on a hard wooden chair for a long time without pain? I am not a doctor or physical therapist but if a larger bike, professional fitting, and different saddles don't help, you might have to look for some kind of medical or anatomical issue.

Originally Posted by tonyzackery .

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ControlTech-Stoker-Stem-Adjustable-Boom-31-6-w-31-8-Bar-/200436784362?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2eaaf69cea

Band-aid fix. You can get a reasonably priced, properly sized frame aluminum frame for easily less than $500.
I wonder if the OP might be ahead replacing the entire frame? http://www.nashbar.com/ has frames as cheap as $70. It's just a thought... I know it would require tools and knowledge. But if the OP has a good cyclist friend it would be a great learning experience.

Thanks for all the replies it all helpfull stuff, to answer a few questions the seat post is offset and the seat as far back as it'll go. I dont have and back pain at all and of ideal weight for my height. I went out on it on Sunday did 5 miles albeit uncomfy towards the end, ive just been and sat on it again and geeeeez there's no way i could ride today the pain seems to be the boney bit on either side rather then muscle. Whats the way to pick a seat i mean theres dozens hung up in the bike shop? Is there a way determaning the right one or is it trial and error?

Thanks again
John

PS Dave thanks for the Nashbar info they look interesting!!!

Hi

I work at a Bike shop. We offer a saddle test program for several brands of seats. We take a copy of your CC & Drivers license. Then you get to test a saddle for up to a week. If you don't return the seat we charge your card. Any Quality shop should offer the same type of program. Also just going by what you have posted . I would say your frame is to small. If you were at my shop, for someone your height we would probably start sizing you with at least a 60cm.

Originally Posted by jaybeex2 .

Thanks for all the replies it all helpfull stuff, to answer a few questions the seat post is offset and the seat as far back as it'll go. I dont have and back pain at all and of ideal weight for my height. I went out on it on Sunday did 5 miles albeit uncomfy towards the end, ive just been and sat on it again and geeeeez there's no way i could ride today the pain seems to be the boney bit on either side rather then muscle. Whats the way to pick a seat i mean theres dozens hung up in the bike shop? Is there a way determaning the right one or is it trial and error?

Thanks again
John

PS Dave thanks for the Nashbar info they look interesting!!!
Soreness under the "sitzbones" is normal for a new rider, and likely means your saddle is fitting you properly since that's where your weight should be hitting. It's going to take a few weeks of riding to break-in your tender backside. When you're sore, just give it a couple of days rest and then go for another short ride. Repeat until you're pain-free, then start upping the mileage slowly. There's no magic saddle that will let you skip the "rite of passage", and no need to torture yourself if you'll just be patient.

A buddy here got a bargain Nashbar aluminum frame about 4 years ago and built it up with some fairly nice components and wheels. He used to do alot of climbing workouts with the bike, and last time I saw him, he was still riding it without any problems. It's scary-cheap, but the welds and finish seem fine. Based on this one sample, I'd have to say they are durable as well.

Originally Posted by dhk2 .

Soreness under the "sitzbones" is normal for a new rider, and likely means your saddle is fitting you properly since that's where your weight should be hitting. It's going to take a few weeks of riding to break-in your tender backside. When you're sore, just give it a couple of days rest and then go for another short ride. Repeat until you're pain-free, then start upping the mileage slowly. There's no magic saddle that will let you skip the "rite of passage", and no need to torture yourself if you'll just be patient.

+1

Suddenly you're trusting a large chunk of your body weight to a fairly small area of your body. You need to develop, if not calluses, something similar. It'll get better as you pick up stamina too, as then your pedalling downstroke will carry more of your body weight.

And don't go looking for a "comfortable" saddle in the normal meaning of the word. A saddle can only be comfortable when compared to other saddles. There's a reason why you don't see bike saddles utilized as components of sitting furniture anywhere else.

Me, what I look for is "tolerable". My favourite saddle has the the strange properties of being equally uncomfortable after 10 minutes as after 4 hours. Best deal so far.

Originally Posted by dhk2 .

A buddy here got a bargain Nashbar aluminum frame about 4 years ago and built it up with some fairly nice components and wheels. He used to do alot of climbing workouts with the bike, and last time I saw him, he was still riding it without any problems. It's scary-cheap, but the welds and finish seem fine. Based on this one sample, I'd have to say they are durable as well.
I hadn't really meant my post to be pro-Nashbar, other retailers also offer frames, as well as ebay, and local used frames. But I do shop and like Nashbar. Most modern alum frames are welded together in [some part of] Asia. When it comes to alum framed bicycles what really makes the difference is the quality of the component parts IMHO. I was just pointing out that the frame is just like any other bicycle part. It can be replaced... and with replacing the frame he could also change the size of the bike.

Who cares where something is made? What has that got to do with anything? It's completely unrelated to this thread and of zero help to the OP. "Hey, oh by the way, that darn thing is made in Asia." Country of manufacturer says nothing about the quality of a frame, its ride quality, or its fit, i.e. the things relevant to what the OP asked. Hell, country of origin doesn't even say anything about the quality of Nashbar bits.

dabac said:
+1 Suddenly you're trusting a large chunk of your body weight to a fairly small area of your body. You need to develop, if not calluses, something similar. It'll get better as you pick up stamina too, as then your pedalling downstroke will carry more of your body weight. And don't go looking for a "comfortable" saddle in the normal meaning of the word. A saddle can only be comfortable when compared to other saddles. There's a reason why you don't see bike saddles utilized as components of sitting furniture anywhere else. Me, what I look for is "tolerable". My favourite saddle has the the strange properties of being equally uncomfortable after 10 minutes as after 4 hours. Best deal so far.
This isn't really true. Saddles can, in fact, be comfortable. My saddle is dead comfortable. That means it gives me no aches, no pains, nada. People don't have to settle for discomfort just because they're on a bike saddle. Comfort can be found. The reasons you don't see bike saddles used as furniture is first and foremost because we don't sit on furniture like we do a bike. Furniture supports not only your butt but also your legs and back (most of the time) and as such has to have different padding and shape to work. It's plain fallacy that bike seats have to be uncomfortable. It's something that bent riders are fond of saying--not saying your a bent rider--and like a lot of sayings, there's very little truth in it.

Originally Posted by alienator .

Who cares where something is made? What has that got to do with anything? It's completely unrelated to this thread and of zero help to the OP. "Hey, oh by the way, that darn thing is made in Asia." Country of manufacturer says nothing about the quality of a frame, its ride quality, or its fit, i.e. the things relevant to what the OP asked. Hell, country of origin doesn't even say anything about the quality of Nashbar bits.
alienator: [COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 255)]Stop editing my posts after you've started your evening drinking. You're a mean drunk that doesn't even read and comprehend well.[/COLOR]

My post was clear. Aluminum bicycle frames are generic and can be a cheap replaceable part that also changes the bicycles size.

I suggest your desire to control my “word count”... came from a bottle. Knock it off. Your excellent knowledge of cycling is ruined with your drunken rants. You might want to try calling people in other area codes... that have your same phone number. Drunk dialing is VERY popular.

Dave Cutter said:
alienator: Stop editing my posts after you've started your evening drinking. You're a mean drunk that doesn't even read and comprehend well. My post was clear. Aluminum bicycle frames are generic and can be a cheap replaceable part that also changes the bicycles size. I suggest your desire to control my “word count”... came from a bottle. Knock it off. Your excellent knowledge of cycling is ruined with your drunken rants. You might want to try calling people in other area codes... that have your same phone number. Drunk dialing is VERY popular.
You don't know what you think you know. My comment was fair and did not profane you, demean, or any such thing. The country of origin "debate" is worn out and seen all too often in cycling forums. When it's brought up, people that don't cycle as much or don't have experience buying bikes can be misled to believe that country of origin is a significant factor in deciding what to by. Control word count? What the hell is that all about? Edit your posts? I did no such thing. If I were to post your comments I would have copied and pasted them and attributed the quote to you.....like this:
Dave Cutter said:
alienator: Stop editing my posts after you've started your evening drinking. You're a mean drunk that doesn't even read and comprehend well.
The quotes were around words that were obviously not yours to highlight my feeling that the country of origin question/debate is a dead horse and of no use.

I don't know if I could have misread some intent. But I saw that post as recommending an inexpensive Asian made frame not as the material for a debate about Asian quality. Although at this point perhaps getting the correct saddle is the first step needed because I don't think a larger frame will stop his butt from hurting.

I have a few bikes with different saddles (plus some additional saddles) and I do find a couple are much more comfortable than the others.

...and why not just an "inexpensive frame"? Why is there a need for the Asian qualifier? It seems all the advice so far was very clear and the vast majority of it didn't need any qualification using country of origin. How is an "inexpensive Asian frame" different than an "inexpensive frame" in terms of things the OP needs to know? I'd suggest that the OP also look for an inexpensive frame more appropriate for his size on eBay. He might find more options than those available at Nashbar. Continuing in that line of thought, the OP should also scan Craigslist in his area as that will allow him to see in person, sit on, and possibly test ride a bike more appropriate to his size.

I was going to suggest a British saddle...

I'm just not that sensitive about the way people express themselves for things like this. I don't know any of the people here. I cut them a lot of slack for posts on the internet where people may not be taking the time to over-think how their words can be interpreted. What matters to me is if the questions are clearly answered and this thread has strayed off topic

My read is the intention was to suggest to the OP to not be afraid of these inexpensive frames that are made in Asia as many aluminum frames come from there. So it seemed positive to me and worth mentioning the place of origin as re-assurance that it will be a good frame at a reasonable price just in case he had any doubt about buying an Asian made frame.

But if your read is different. So be it.

Plus it is true that Ann Romney never worked a day in her life and look at how that comment got spun.

Originally Posted by alienator .

...and why not just an "inexpensive frame"? Why is there a need for the Asian qualifier?...... I'd suggest that the OP also look for an inexpensive frame more appropriate for his size on eBay.....Continuing in that line of thought, the OP should also scan Craigslist in his area
Your really off your game tonight old buddy. Perhaps you should re-read some of the posts to improve your understanding.

I had quoted another poster.. that had linked to an $85 [new] part. My post was in reference to a cheaper part that involved more labor and a different solution to the same problem. That "country of origin debate" you had... was completely in your own mind tonight... NOT here on this forum. I think it is interesting since you aren't the original poster that you think YOU know the "things the OP needs to know".

Your completely correct that the OP might want to look on ebay or Craiglist! I had even mentioned/posted that [[COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 255)]other retailers also offer frames, as well as ebay, and local used frames[/COLOR]] in the same post you went off on [because of your imagined "country of origin debate"]. I think you were just in one of your "rant moods" tonight. And instead of offering the OP some of your many years of knowledge and experience.... you ranted crapola. Too bad. I'd bet if you would have read with a little comprehension and behaved like a polite adult you might have even found creative solutions other people hadn't already posted.