Bike to Work Day Tomorrow in Seattle Area

Rick Onanian wrote:
> On Sat, 22 May 2004 19:27:07 -0700, The Real Bev
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>> S o r n i wrote:
>>> Just bought a big ol' can of contact cement at Home Despot; not
>>> sure if it's

>> You have to spread contact cement on both surfaces and let it dry.
>> No idea how flexible it is, but people usually use it for woodworking

> I have a little bottle of DAP Weldwood contact cement from Home
> Despot. The color and consistency appear similar to that of the
> contact cement used for EPDM rubber roofing, which is very flexible.
> I'm not entirely sure of the odor, and I don't particularly feel
> like sniffing a 5 gallon pail of the stuff to compare; but I think
> it's the same stuff.

Hmmm. I was going to return the can, since some have said I need rubber
cement and not contact. Should I?

Bill "sticky situation" S.

On Mon, 24 May 2004 19:50:52 GMT, " S o r n i"
<[email protected]> wrote:
>Hmmm. I was going to return the can, since some have said I need rubber
>cement and not contact. Should I?

How much did it cost? If it was only a few bucks, it's worth trying
and comparing. You might end up finding some other use for the one
you don't like as much.

I used some rubber cement the other day and the results were iffy. I
didn't prepare them well, and I used home-made patches cut from an
old tube. I put some air in the unmounted newly patched tubes and
left them overnight, and they were deflated the next day; and the
"patches" peeled off pretty easily.

Probably with proper patches, and/or better workmanship, it would
have worked well.
--
Rick Onanian

In article <hYOrc.95383$536.16755142@attbi_s03>, cpetersky@mouse-
potato.com says...
> "Eric S. Sande" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > In fact, I've been known to buy three or four of them at one time in
> > a display of wild extravagance.
> >
> > Bike shops love me, when they catch sight of my slouching form
> > approaching they quickly haul out all of the really old tubes and
> > polish up the boxes.

> What happens is that I am in the bike shop, and can't remember if I have a
> spare tube at home or not. So I'll buy one, just in case. Turns out there's
> three boxes left over from the last couple of times I couldn't remember.
>
> I have the same problem with spices. I run out of, say, cumin. So I think to
> myself, "the next time I go to the store, I need to buy cumin". And I do.
> And then, somehow, that message doesn't get turned off, such that the next
> two times I go to the grocery store I buy cumin, until there's a enough
> cumin in my pantry to spice up the food of the entire Iraqi armed forces
> (all sides).
>
> So, anyway, we have lots of spare tubes around the garage. I also have an
> extra box of paprika, if you are interested.
>
> > So, Claire, what new tire did you get? And how many miles did you
> > get out of the old one, etc?

> I think it was Denver Fox, maybe, who converted me over to Avocet Cross
> tires, which is what I use exclusively now. They are very tough. I'm not
> sure how many miles I got out of this one because I rotate the tires and I
> also don't log miles with any level of conscienceness. The last rotation was
> in mid-January -- I remember the three flats in the driving icy rain in the
> dark. After that, I decided it was time for a new tire.

Ohh, Claaiire? Hello? Didn't you get the message that you can extend
tire life by spending hours finding the little nicks 'n tears and
rubbing shoe goo (r) into them? It really does work.

Now, me? I've tried it with some tires to see just how far I could push
things before they got dangerous. I still do it on occasion, with newer
tires, to keep 'em running a little longer.

And you rotate your tires? Really? How does that extend their life? I
rotate mine right along with the rims every time I ride, but that only
seems to make things wear out faster.

Cheers;
Mark

S o r n i wrote:
> No, silly goose. Keep the big jar at home for patching parties (slow
> afternoons), and carry the small (preferably unopened) tube of glue in the
> saddle bag for roadside fixes when necessary.

That's what I do. I think the office rubber cement is essentially
the same stuff as what's in the patch kits. It looks and smells the
same.

The problem with the rubber cement is that as soon as you open it,
it starts to evaporate. Even the jars do this. I always run out of
rubber cement before patches. I usually carry a spare tube to avoid
patching on the road (at least until the second flat of the ride :-( ).
It makes the little tube of cement last longer.

--Bill Davidson

I once patched a motorcycle tube with black electrician's tape. We
were way back in the hills, and (stupidly) didn't have a patch kit.
It held for the rest of the ride, and the tire was still hard after I
had been home a day. I broke it down and patched it right, because I
was afraid not to, but I have a feeling it would have held
indefinitely.