Bike to work month!

Ike90

Feb 10, 2005
Yeah, for those of us who commute nearly every day year round, it's not such a big deal, but Bike to Work Month begins tomorrow, at least here in the Seattle area. The company I work for has managed to put together four "teams" for this year's event, which at a total of about 40 riders (out of approx. 2,400 that work here), is nearly twice the number of participants we had last year.

Most will bail out at the first sprinkle of rain, but that's okay; even one ride is better than none, so I welcome all the noobs!

Of course, it helps that gasoline here, which was already the most expensive in the nation, has increased by 15 cents a gallon in the past three days, now $3.36, and that's the cheapest price in town (or in my little suburban communtity anyway). Even so, triple-A says consumption is up 3 percent over last month.

One of these days, we Americans will remove our collective heads from certain cavities and start acting like intelligent people. I just hope it's not too late by the time we finally do.

I ride everyday to work and back and to run errands. My roundtrip to work and back is a total of 14 miles. then on top of that around town to the grocery store, mall, for coffee etc. I say a maybe 10 miles a week for all that. So that's about 70 miles a week, in my Taurus I average about 18 mpg in the city if all is going well with Sally(that's what my kids named the car). So about 3.5 gallons a week saved is $9 and I spend less on maintnance. Oh yeah and I dropped my gym membership as well.

When i started riding to work nobody esle was riding and now well there are four people joining in! It is awesome and inspiring to see how a little change in habit can spark something bigger and keep going on further. Even if they ride a few days a week it is worth it the them, thier money and our world!

Okay now I'll get off my soap box.

Ike, Great to hear your company pals are waking up and smelling the global warming! I know some of the racer wannabes resent the Burke-Gilman Trail traffic jams during "cycling rush hour", but I think it's fun to be out there with so many other cyclists...a parade of sorts---parade of concerned and fun-loving citizens! It's nice to hear other seasoned commuters welcoming (rather than dissing) the new riders. See you on the Seattle streets...