bike training rollers physics

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mark J

Hello,

I have used rollers as winter training in years past. While spinning away on these, I often wonder
what would happen if I were to be careless and steer right off the side.

I think I understand the physics that says I would really have no momentum, and would probably roll
forward a few feet and fall over. On the other hand, the idea of suddenly rocketing forward at 20
mph sounds pretty exciting.

I never had the nerve to actually try it.

So, anyone have personal experience in what happens when you ride off your rollers?

mark

Mark J wrote:
>
> I think I understand the physics that says I would really have no momentum, and would probably
> roll forward a few feet and fall over. On the other hand, the idea of suddenly rocketing forward
> at 20 mph sounds pretty exciting.
>

I tried riding with my eyes shut once, in a dorm room. Acceleration was mild, but I did go forward,
as I was still pedaling. Only went a couple of feet before my arm hit the bed. Other falls have been
with my eyes open, so I know enough to stick out my foot and catch myself. No pedaling, no forward
motion to speak of. Mitch.

On 19 Jun 2003 10:09:28 -0700, [email protected] (Mark J) ranted:

>So, anyone have personal experience in what happens when you ride off your rollers?

I hear that if you hit your head on the door, you tend to vote Democrat thereafter.

Ken (NY) Chairman, Department Of Redundancy Department

Q: What the hardest thing about rollerblading?
R: Telling your parents you’re gay.

On Fri, 20 Jun 2003 07:14:56 -0400, "Ken [NY)" <[email protected]_text> wrote:

>I hear that if you hit your head on the door, you tend to vote Democrat thereafter.

Unless your head is knocked clean off, in which case it's Republican ;-)

Guy
===
** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com Advance
notice: ADSL service in process of transfer to a new ISP. Obviously there will be a week of downtime
between the engineer removing the BT service and the same engineer connecting the same equipment on
the same line in the same exchange and billing it to the new ISP.

On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 19:07:03 +0100, "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> ranted:

>On Fri, 20 Jun 2003 07:14:56 -0400, "Ken [NY)" <[email protected]_text> wrote:
>
>>I hear that if you hit your head on the door, you tend to vote Democrat thereafter.
>
>Unless your head is knocked clean off, in which case it's Republican ;-)

Always a wise... er Guy. Cheers, Ken (NY) Chairman, Department Of Redundancy Department

"It depends upon what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If 'is' means 'is and never has been' that's
one thing - if it means 'there is none', that was a completely true statement."
-- Bill Clinton
Q: What the hardest thing about rollerblading?
R: Telling your parents you’re gay.

Status
Not open for further replies.