bike training rollers physics

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.soc archive' started by Mark J, Jun 19, 2003.

  1. Mark J

    Mark J Guest

    Hello,

    I have used rollers as winter training in years past. While spinning away on these, I often wonder
    what would happen if I were to be careless and steer right off the side.

    I think I understand the physics that says I would really have no momentum, and would probably roll
    forward a few feet and fall over. On the other hand, the idea of suddenly rocketing forward at 20
    mph sounds pretty exciting.

    I never had the nerve to actually try it.

    So, anyone have personal experience in what happens when you ride off your rollers?

    mark

    Tags:

  2. Mitch Haley

    Mitch Haley Guest

    Mark J wrote:

    > I think I understand the physics that says I would really have no momentum, and would probably
    > roll forward a few feet and fall over. On the other hand, the idea of suddenly rocketing forward
    > at 20 mph sounds pretty exciting.

    I tried riding with my eyes shut once, in a dorm room. Acceleration was mild, but I did go forward,
    as I was still pedaling. Only went a couple of feet before my arm hit the bed. Other falls have been
    with my eyes open, so I know enough to stick out my foot and catch myself. No pedaling, no forward
    motion to speak of. Mitch.

  3. Ken -Lsqny)

    Ken -Lsqny) Guest

    On 19 Jun 2003 10:09:28 -0700, [email protected] (Mark J) ranted:

    >So, anyone have personal experience in what happens when you ride off your rollers?

    I hear that if you hit your head on the door, you tend to vote Democrat thereafter.

    Ken (NY) Chairman, Department Of Redundancy Department
    ____________________________________
    email: http://www.geocities.com/bluesguy68/email.htm

    Q: What the hardest thing about rollerblading?
    R: Telling your parents you’re gay.

  4. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Fri, 20 Jun 2003 07:14:56 -0400, "Ken [NY)" <[email protected]elow.the_text> wrote:

    >I hear that if you hit your head on the door, you tend to vote Democrat thereafter.

    Unless your head is knocked clean off, in which case it's Republican ;-)

    Guy
    ===

  5. Ken -Lsqny)

    Ken -Lsqny) Guest

    On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 19:07:03 +0100, "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> ranted:

    >On Fri, 20 Jun 2003 07:14:56 -0400, "Ken [NY)" <[email protected]_text> wrote:
    >
    >>I hear that if you hit your head on the door, you tend to vote Democrat thereafter.
    >
    >Unless your head is knocked clean off, in which case it's Republican ;-)

    Always a wise... er Guy. Cheers, Ken (NY) Chairman, Department Of Redundancy Department
    email: http://www.geocities.com/bluesguy68/email.htm

    "It depends upon what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If 'is' means 'is and never has been' that's
    one thing - if it means 'there is none', that was a completely true statement."
    -- Bill Clinton