Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Bike Weight Loss

Started by SG · · Last activity · 6 posts · 359 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
12 July 2004
Last activity
16 July 2004
Original author
SG
Posts
6
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
359
Views / 30 days
5

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–6 of 6
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi all,
    I bought my MTB some years ago although it has an aluminium frame it
    still seems to weigh a lot compared with the stuff around now. As the
    bike cost about over £1000 I am a bit reluctant to let it go without
    relooking at the weight problem it seems to have.
    Its been suggested that one area to look at are the wheels – I
    currently have Mavic 221's – are they known to be heavy? Or should I
    just take the loss and get a lighter bike?

    Cheers
    Sam

  2. SG said:

    Hi all,
    I bought my MTB some years ago although it has an aluminium frame it
    still seems to weigh a lot compared with the stuff around now. As the
    bike cost about over £1000 I am a bit reluctant to let it go without
    relooking at the weight problem it seems to have.
    Its been suggested that one area to look at are the wheels – I
    currently have Mavic 221's – are they known to be heavy? Or should I
    just take the loss and get a lighter bike?

    Cheers
    Sam

    I know it's very cool to have the lightest bike possible but that
    doesn't necessarily give you the performance benefit that the
    manufacturers claim you'll get. It depends.

    Total weight of bicycle plus rider is useful to take into consideration
    if you're doing a *lot* of climbing.

    Weight on the wheels ought to be shed if you want very quick
    acceleration, and then we're talking about tyres and rims only
    (rotational mass).

    But we're talking about very marginal improvements in the above cases.
    Say you reduce the weight of you bike by a whopping 400 g, by spending
    another £300 on it. That's half a water bottle difference. OK, this is
    not related to the question you're asking, but the weight trap is often
    costly to get out of, and it's sometimes in the head.

    One thing - you may get more joy by using tyres of lesser rolling
    resistance, e.g. slicks. If you're not out in the woods so much then the
    usual knobbly tyres slow you down a fair bit.

    Have you figured out *why* you want to reduce weight on the bike? As
    pointed out earlier,it doesn't matter as much as some would claim . . .
    /Robert

  3. Can't speak to the wheels but I can offer a comment or two. I have a
    heavy mountain bike. Fork is probably 5 pounds or so. A cheap
    suspension fork from 1999. New super expensive forks are around 3
    pounds. I have a Thudbuster suspension seatpost. 1 pound or more
    compared to half pound or so for the super expensive light weight ones
    now. I have a super comfortable 1.5 pound Brooks saddle. The plastic
    torture devices used today are a half pound. My all steel loose cog
    cassette is probably close to a pound. The more expensive ones with
    the aluminum carriers trim a few ounces. LX crank and derailleurs add
    a little extra weight compared to the upper lines. Not much but some.
    Wire bead tires instead of kevlar. A few more ounces. And of course
    the Blackburn Expedition rack adds over a pound. But I like to carry
    lots of stuff on the mountain bike.

    Obviously, all of the parts on the bike add to the weight. Fork is
    probably where you can make the most difference. Maybe two pounds.
    You might be able to shed a pound by changing the frame. Half pound
    to one pound in the saddle and seatpost. A few ounces in the stem and
    bars if you went ultra lightweight and carbon. Maybe a half pound or
    so with lighter tires. Maybe a poound by changing the drivetrain to
    an upper end group that emphasizes light weight. I could easily shed
    six to seven pounds off my bike if I were willing to spend $2000.

    Changing rims as you plan might save you one ounce per rim. Maybe two
    ounces per rim if you went with the lightest rims you could find.
    Doesn't seem worth the effort to me.

    If you want a lighter bike, you pretty much have to change every part
    on the bike. You will probably be happiest starting from scratch and
    buying/building a new bike and getting rid of the current bike.

    I have no comment on the goal of having a light weight mountain bike.

    [email hidden] (SG) wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi all,
    I bought my MTB some years ago although it has an aluminium frame it
    still seems to weigh a lot compared with the stuff around now. As the
    bike cost about over £1000 I am a bit reluctant to let it go without
    relooking at the weight problem it seems to have.
    Its been suggested that one area to look at are the wheels ? I
    currently have Mavic 221's ? are they known to be heavy? Or should I
    just take the loss and get a lighter bike?

  4. Quoted message said:

    Changing rims as you plan might save you one ounce per rim. Maybe two
    ounces per rim if you went with the lightest rims you could find.
    Doesn't seem worth the effort to me.

    If you want a lighter bike, you pretty much have to change every part
    on the bike. You will probably be happiest starting from scratch and
    buying/building a new bike and getting rid of the current bike.

    First ask yourself why you want a lighter bike. Do you race? Just
    ride here and there around town? Along with this are you "feeling"
    the weight of the bike, i.e, is the bike impossible to go fast with
    without a huge effort that you feel justifies your wanting a lower
    weight?

    Second consider what you may give up and gain. A "heavier" bike tends
    to mean that it can hold up better to more aggresive offroad use. I
    have a X-Country Kona Kula Deluxe that I would be scared s***less to
    take on any serious backcountry trail because I know the frame alone
    would probably crack. I had a G. Fisher SuperCaliber from '95 and I
    flat out loved that bike. The only reason I got a new one was because
    my GF was stolen. My new Kona is faster than my old GF but I took my
    GF everywhere and did everything on it. Today companies are
    developing bikes more specifically for one type of use. This means
    that higher end bikes are losing their "go anywhere, do everything"
    abilities. Downhill bikes suck for x-country trails and hills.
    X-Country rides suck for anything other than smooth obstacle less
    trails. However you now gain a much higher quality bike frame, geared
    towards its intended demographic, than in times past. My Kona today
    probably would have been $3000 or higher back in '95. Subsequently my
    all Shimano XT equipped GF bike has become a $1000 decent frame bike
    paired with much lower quality components and are often mix n match.
    If I were racing myself on my Kona vs. my GF, today I would kick my
    yesteryear butt. But I've swapped out many of my stock Kona
    components at my initial purchase and now I'm looking to rebuild my
    rear wheel and swap its hub for something better. I've replaced my
    saddle on the Kona. I've done more "little" maintenance projects on my
    Kona than I care to remember compared to yearly maintenance being
    about it on my GF.

    So my point to all this is if you like your bike now, stop worrying
    about silly things. If you want a new bike and are using "lightness"
    as an excuse to go shopping then go for it. Put new rims on your
    wheels if they need it mechanically not because you "need" the latest
    and greatest. About the only true reason to upgrade because of
    technology right now is Stable Platform Valve shocks and forks. This
    really does make a big difference in dual suspension bikes (not so
    much for hardtails).

  5. Quoted message said:

    [email hidden] (SG) wrote:
    I bought my MTB some years ago although it has an aluminium frame it
    still seems to weigh a lot compared with the stuff around now. As the
    bike cost about over £1000 I am a bit reluctant to let it go without
    relooking at the weight problem it seems to have.
    Its been suggested that one area to look at are the wheels – I
    currently have Mavic 221's – are they known to be heavy? Or should I
    just take the loss and get a lighter bike?

    I just went through a sort of bike rebuilding project. I didn't really set out
    to lighten my bike. I have a Cannondale and wanted to get rid of the headshox
    and the crack-prone swingarm. Lightening was a secondary benefit. I'm not a
    heavy rider and it's nice to have a lighter bike that can be thrown around on
    tight trails a bit easier. Ideally I'd like to have an even lighter bike but
    functionality is more important than lightness for the sake of lightness.
    If you generally like your bike, a tire and wheel upgrade might be nice but
    talk to someone knowledgeable about what your goals are and how much you want
    to spend. What type of bike do you have, how do you use it and how much does it
    weigh?

  6. "SG" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi all,
    I bought my MTB some years ago although it has an aluminium frame it
    still seems to weigh a lot compared with the stuff around now. As the
    bike cost about over £1000 I am a bit reluctant to let it go without
    relooking at the weight problem it seems to have.
    Its been suggested that one area to look at are the wheels – I
    currently have Mavic 221's – are they known to be heavy? Or should I
    just take the loss and get a lighter bike?

    If you really want a lighter bike (& who doesn't, esp. MTB), just sell that
    one & put the money towards a new bike -- that's the only cost-effective way
    to go.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.