Bike with good resale value

crosspjc

Aug 23, 2012
Hi Guys & Girls,

I am intending to purchase a bike at a discount to resell unused. Hopefully I will make a small profit whilst the purchaser gets a cheaper than retail bike. So everyones a winner.

The bike would retail up to £1,000. Any suggestions for the bike and good places to sell other than ebay?

Thanks for any constructive advice.

Well, that's the key,buy low and sell high . The problem is that you need to buy in volume to get wholesale pricing. If you figure out how to do it otherwise a bunch of us would be interested.

Doesn't sound worth the trouble to me. Unless you can get DEEP discount. Then again, who wants to fool with it? Time and effort, put a price on that. Is it worth it?

I love the smell of Capitalism in the morning! It smells like...victory!

Originally Posted by crosspjc .

Hi Guys & Girls,

I am intending to purchase a bike at a discount to resell unused. Hopefully I will make a small profit whilst the purchaser gets a cheaper than retail bike. So everyones a winner.

The bike would retail up to £1,000. Any suggestions for the bike and good places to sell other than ebay?

Thanks for any constructive advice.
We could always use another bicycle shop!

One benefit of buying a new bike from a manufacturer-authorized retailer is the manufacturer's warranty. It would be difficult to resell a bike for full retail without one of these.

oldbobcat said:
One benefit of buying a new bike from a manufacturer-authorized retailer is the manufacturer's warranty. It would be difficult to resell a bike for full retail without one of these.
....and a fair number of warranties don't transfer to the next owner.

Originally Posted by Chavez .

..or bankruptcy.
Nothing ventured... nothing [ever] gained [ever]. I can't be the only cyclist that has thought to themselves that "I could operate a better bike shop than the stores where I shop". But the risks are high, the work hard, and the hours go on... and on.

Capitalism works best for rugged individuals. We used to have an entire nation of those kinds of people. Heck I bicycle past the old home of a couple of bicycle builders that actually risked their own time and money to invent the airplane. They changed the world! I think the Wright Brothers would encourage opening a bicycle shop... at the very least.

Originally Posted by Dave Cutter .

Nothing ventured... nothing [ever] gained [ever]. I can't be the only cyclist that has thought to themselves that "I could operate a better bike shop than the stores where I shop". But the risks are high, the work hard, and the hours go on... and on.

Capitalism works best for rugged individuals. We used to have an entire nation of those kinds of people. Heck I bicycle past the old home of a couple of bicycle builders that actually risked their own time and money to invent the airplane. They changed the world! I think the Wright Brothers would encourage opening a bicycle shop... at the very least.

This isn't opening a bicycle shop, this is speculation. If he was posting saying "I am a pretty good wrench and want to open my own bike shop" I'd say go for it.

Originally Posted by Chavez .

This isn't opening a bicycle shop, this is speculation.
Speculation: The practice of engaging in risky financial transactions in an attempt to profit from short or medium term fluctuations in the market value of a tradable good.

Well yeah.... I agree... it is speculation. But... speculation... or risk taking is very much a part of capitalism and often built into the pricing of retail items. True... the OP didn't mention having any particular skills [or even a willingness to learn] he/she merely asked for an idea as to where to sell bikes OTHER THAN ebay. I have nothing against on-line stores... they are the NEW way to market after all. But I thought it might be nice if the OP consider an old fashion brick and mortar bicycle shop.

And... I am not suggesting the OP (or anyone else) try to make a go in any business in todays market.

Whaddya want the guy to do?

Sell crack on the street corner or try to make an honest buck?

Of course it's speculation. I'm speculating in the Marcellus and Utica Shale Plays right now. The only difference is the scale.

God bless capitalists!

I'm just asserting a reservation from a possible customer. "Is there a warranty on this product? If I have a problem, who stands behind it, and what can be done about it?" crosspjc can do whatever he wants.

From a consumer's point of view, it's hard to beat new brand-name stuff from an authorized dealer. From a bargain hunting consumer's point of view, used brand-name stuff in good condition, from a trustworthy seller, at a significant discount is pretty swell, too. For a seller with a product that lacks one or more of these attributes, it's a pretty dubious business plan.

You are...well...old, oldbobcat. And I will admit to being in that same, sad state, myself. We think differently from the young folks.

Those kids buy all kinds of **** off the web, sight unseen with a warranty that is often not worth the rice paper it's printed on.

Trustworthy seller? Heck, I'm buying cheap assed Chicom spectacles off the web (using my optician's Rx of course) for $25-$40. Titanium frames, yada yada. These no-name wonders are the same quality as the $600 (also made in China, but carrying a name brand like Luxotica, Ray-Ban or such) spectacles! Yeah, not a bike...but the biz model works in many cases.And the lens quality is identical...the most important attribute to my old eyes is met, matched and I'm a happy camper.

You want the website of the eyeglass folks, shoot me an IM. I love them and my optometrist surely hates them! Heheh! They've saved me thousands...which just gets blown on Campagnolo, but that's my jones!

My last two carbon frames have been branded (kinda-sorta in one case) specials...CHEAP! They came from reputable American re-sellers with warranty papers I have, thankfully, not needed. For the discount of going to an offshore, dubious warranty outfit for a carbon no-name frameset...it's worth the risk of a bit of capital to me. That will probably be the route I go for a winter build project for a trainer to use next season.

As with everything in life, YMMV and you have every right to shop in a manner that makes you the happiest!

Regards,
Campy