Commuting and Road Safety · Public discussion

Bikers Never Stop!

Started by KStony · · Last activity · 26 posts · 2,711 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Commuting and Road Safety
Published
17 May 2010
Last activity
25 March 2011
Original author
KStony
Posts
26
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,711
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–26 of 26
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Isn't that going to happen whether you wait in line or not at a red light? Some group of cars will need to speed by you, because they need to rush to the next red light. [IMG]/img/vbsmilies/smilies/duck.gif[/IMG]

    Quoted post said:

    Originally Posted by 64Paramount [IMG]/img/forum/go_quote.gif[/IMG]

    I suppose if you can pass cars while they are stopped at a red light and you don't hold up traffic when the light turns green again, then that's okay. Sure, some of the drivers won't like it as it smacks of "the cutting into the line is bad" type behaviour that a lot of us had drilled into us in kindergarden school. [IMG]/img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG] But, if you aren't really affecting them one way or another.

    However, if you pass cars at a red light and then they have to pass you again because you can't keep up with the flow of traffic, which is probably going to running at the speed limit or more, then that's not okay. I often see riders slide past the cars at a red light, then they've got a line of cars following them having to wait to have room to safely pass when the light turns green. Some or maybe all of the cars may finally be able to pass, but sometimes they hit another red light and the cyclist again passes some of those same cars on the right. Then those cars go have to work their way past the rider again if they want to be able to drive at the speed limit. Now, I wonder why those drivers get so irrated?

  2. Quoted post said:

    Originally Posted by Mcwop [IMG]/img/forum/go_quote.gif[/IMG]

    Isn't that going to happen whether you wait in line or not at a red light? Some group of cars will need to speed by you, because they need to rush to the next red light. [IMG]/img/vbsmilies/smilies/duck.gif[/IMG]

    No, the same cars won't have to pass you again if you don't pass them at the red light....why would they need to pass you again? They are already ahead of you.

  3. I make it a rule to never pass the same car stopped at the red light. I'll stop behind them and draft behind them for a bit when the light goes green till i pick up speed then i move back out of the way for passing cars.

  4. The way I look at it is that if they can pass me, I can pass them.

    Most of the time this is fine as I'm always ready for repeat close passes when there's limited space. The times I make exceptions usually involve working trucks, trucks with trailers, large trucks with blindspots, buses, etc.. Normally at a stop I filter to the front and pause ahead and to the right of the first vehicle, but if one of the first few vehicles fits into this danger list, I stop behind them instead. If right turns are allowed on red I'll also stay behind the first group of turning cars unless there is a separate turning lane for them or I myself am turning. For left turns I find it safest to filter behind the first turning car in the right-most, left-turning lane so that people can see where I'm going.

    Filtering to the front assumes, like I think Paramount was suggesting, that I don't plan to do things like take the lane going only 10-15mph right afterwards. If I filtered on the right, I stay right. If people are able and happy to pass me in the same lane, then I will obligingly do the same. As for passing the same person, I've played pass-tag with the same cars multiple times filtering like this. I find that to be perfectly acceptable, as it shows everyone what the average road speed really is. But I do make sure not to obstruct traffic in any of my manuevers. I ride fast, but I'm nice about it. "Be strong yet supple"

    Yeah Mcwop. I'm wondering if people will change their driving habits once the price spikes up again. In the U.S. a lot of people consider it a most basic possession - something they have to have - but everyone has a tipping point - that wtf am I doing? moment. 8-lane highways may be a funny thing in the not too distant future.

  5. This one:

    Bicycle lane in Thessaloniki:

    [IMG]cyclingforums.com500[/IMG]

    If you seen a worst one and survived I will buy you a beer [IMG]/img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]

  6. At about $4 a gallon, the highways seem a tad less busy, but $5 or 6 we should start to really see a difference.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.