Bikes And The Military

glockman

Sep 14, 2015
For Years since its development bicycles have played a part in most major conflicts. They were used in Europe during bth world wars, the featured heavily in the pacific, Korea and Vietnam. They were mainly used as a means of transport where there was non or a where the terrain was too hostile. Today most armies would laugh themselves silly at the thought of cycling into battle. However, with the growing importance of small, stealthy, high trained warriors would a bike not be a reasonable investment?

Reactions: haleylx4
Are we talking on the lines of masses of armed soldiers charging into battle in the style of knights of old but on military grade mountain bikes instead? I'm afraid I cannot see that happening any time soon.

Bikes within the military will always be used as a form of fitness and for logistical duties like messengers. Never on the front line.

Mind you there is a famous picture out there of someone who rigged a machine gun onto his bike. Whether it was just a little bit of fun or was an actual consideration I do not know.

As long as we carry 1911's on bikes...we're good!

Even the Swiss gave up their bicycles. I'm sure bikes are viable military concept somewhere, but I'm having a hard time imagining which army could effectively deploy bicycles and under what conditions.

I can't imagine the military sending modern soldiers into combat with bicycles. They don't offer any sort of protection and I don't think it would really be possible to defend yourself or do much damage to anyone else while on a bike. You can't really take cover either, without stopping and dismounting.

I'm sure they could have some other applications, like delivering messages as @Susimi mentioned or for use to get around while on base.

When I was a girl, I remember my father watching Combat on tv. His favorite is Vic Morrow and Ric Jason. The milieu is Germany and the story revolves on the drama of the characters. But sometimes there would be a scene of a soldier riding a bike. I remember one episode when the Americans stole the bike of the German soldier so they can reach the other regimen in the next town. But during the second world war here in our country, my parents couldn't remember if the soldiers used bikes.

BikeBikeBikeBike said:
From what I recall the bikes used during D Day were a complete failure....
Seriously?

I never heard of that before. What caused the situation to become a failure?

I had been seeing some men in uniform patrolling using something that looks like electric. It is not a bike but they stand on two feet. I find it quite cool. With the advance technology that we have certainly there will also be new options for military people but an old fashion bike would not hurt.

Keyan said:
I had been seeing some men in uniform patrolling using something that looks like electric. It is not a bike but they stand on two feet. I find it quite cool. With the advance technology that we have certainly there will also be new options for military people but an old fashion bike would not hurt.
It's not one of those segway things was it?

I saw that some military were testing them on an article on the news a while back and it just got me to thinking how the enemy would feel when they're hold up in their positions, and out of the smoke and dust appear an army of people advancing on segways. I'm guessing it would be a pretty surreal situation!

The increase in surveillance technology has effectively rendered bycicles obsolete for any kind of military manouver, they would be too easily seen and very easily immobilised. I hadn't heard that the bikes used in D Day were a complete failure although I know there were some problems with them, I wasn't aware that their inclusion in the invasion was totally without benefit. With the exception of guerrilla warfare and resistance fighters, I can't see them being used again, warfare is just too high-tech these days.

There's always gonna be a need for them at home or in second lines of duty for cheap transportation but as I say I cannot at all see them being used in the front lines, unless something drastic happens and the world ran out of oil tomorrow, but even then I think the militaries would just switch back to horses.

The people of Holland were not best pleased when during WWII the retreating German forces stole their bikes and pedalled back toward German lines.

Reactions: Susimi
limerickman said:
The people of Holland were not best pleased when during WWII the retreating German forces stole their bikes and pedalled back toward German lines.
I never heard about that before but it doesn't surprise me at all to be honest.

Learn something new everyday :)

I can understand why bikes were used in prior wars, but they have no place in modern warfare. Today's weapons are deadlier and far more efficient. We also have to take into account the use of drones which would pose a massive risk to a soldier on a bicycle. Past wars were fought mostly on the ground, these days airstrikes are the preferred method, that's something else to consider.

Bycicles are handy for most situations, so they can work for a specific mission in the military in the same way they are more widely and widely used by police forces. The fact is they allow us to move way faster than we are on foot and that is an advantage.

oportosanto said:
Bycicles are handy for most situations, so they can work for a specific mission in the military in the same way they are more widely and widely used by police forces. The fact is they allow us to move way faster than we are on foot and that is an advantage.
Yeah but as I think I've said previous, I don't think a military will be charging the lines with bicycles anytime soon. The only real missions for bikes these days are logistical around the base and such, and even if you need to move a group of troops very quickly there is always a march or I'm sure some truck would be available somewhere.

Actually cycling is a good way to move large groups a small distance effectively although in my opinion military bicycles are very bad. They are mostly single speed and therefore uphills are a struggle. In addition they aren't maintained very well which includes such problems as flat tires, broken chains etc.

CrankyThunder said:
I have seen footage from Syria where suspected Isul fighters are using bicycles with a AK strung across their back. .

If it is for directed and immediate military action or heading to the grocery store for some hummus and cuz cuz, I have no idea.

Regards,
Cranky
While reading your post I got images of one of them riding with an AK attached to the front of their bike. Considering they're nutters it would not suprise me if they did that...