Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Bikes for the Big and Tall

Started by Gary Jackson · · Last activity · 32 posts · 3,925 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
6 June 2008
Last activity
20 June 2008
Original author
Gary Jackson
Posts
32
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
3,925
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 32
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I. Introduction

    I am 6'4", 400lbs, and I am looking for a bicycle. I have three main
    reasons riding a bicycle. First, I would like to be able to ride with
    my wife occasionally. She's riding a Specialized Sequoyah that we
    bought last week for her. It was considerably easier to shop for her.
    Second, I would like to run short errands with the bicycle. It seems
    like a terrible waste to start the car just to go to the grocery
    store. Third, I would like to be able to commute with the bike. The
    commute involves a lot of riding on two-lane roads including some
    stretches where there is no shoulder.

    I have not been on a bike in about 18 years, so I definitely will not
    be riding my dodgy commuter route until I get in better shape and can
    handle the bicycle proficiently. My last bicycle was some junky
    Wally-World 24" thing with a gear shift that did not work that I used
    until I outgrew it completely. I am a little concerned about getting
    back in the saddle, particularly since my form was never very good in
    the first place.

    I've been doing a lot of research to find out what my options are. I
    am working with a particular budget in mind that does not fit too many
    of the things that I am about to list. However, I have included
    them here for reference and comparison purposes. This post is a
    response and update to a post from Chalo Colina to rec.bicycles.misc
    from about a year ago:

    http://groups.google.com/group/rec.bicycles.misc/msg/3adb61b486b8a06d?

    Some of the information has changed in the last year. Some of it is
    the same, but I go in to more detail about the offerings. In
    particular, I have focused my attention on the components that Chalo
    has picked out as important, such as wheels and cranksets. Sometimes
    the information on a vendor's website is not clear. In those cases, I
    have sent mail to them and asked for details or a clarification. I
    also address some other options that were not mentioned in the
    previous post.

    Before I get in to the nitty gritty, I need to make a point: I am not
    an expert. As I have stated previously, it has been a very long time
    since I have been on a bicycle. Anything that is written here is done
    because I read it on a web page some where, not from any actual
    practical experience. When you take advice from random people on the
    internet, you take your life and safety in to your own hands. This is
    doubly true in this case because I do not even pretend to know what I
    am talking about. By that same token, if you see some point on which
    I am clearly wrong, please reply so that others will not be mislead by
    my mistake.

    II. Existing Bicycles Marketed to Large Riders

    The first three bicycles addressed here seem to be the big three in
    terms of bicycles targeted to the fat man market. They are well
    built machines with quality components with a commensurate price tag.
    The last two are more affordable but may have problems of their own.

    A. Schauff Sumo

    http://www.schauff.de/schauff2002.de/index.php?language=e&action=fahrrad&typ=XXL%2FXXS&jahr=2008&id=516

    The first bicycle that Chalo addressed is the Schauff Sumo. This fine
    piece of German engineering has a rated capacity of 200kg (440lb) and
    comes in frame sizes up to 80cm (27.5 in). They also sell a mountain
    bike version with a capacity of 170kg (375lb). The finished bicycle
    weighs in at 18.5kg (40lb), which seems to be about what to expect for
    an overbuilt bicycle for large men. The frame is 7020 Aluminum and it
    has the big 1.5" head tube. The Sumo uses Shimano Saint or Hone parts
    at various trim levels. At the top trim level, Shauff offers the
    Rohloff 14-gear hub. The Sumo has 36-spoke wheels with disc brakes.
    As far as I can tell, it uses 26" wheels. This bicycle is priced from
    about $2900 to $4700. The cost of the highest trim level is probably
    due to the Rohloff hub, which by itself costs more than most
    bicycles. There is still no North American distributor for Schauff.
    As Chalo noted, buying one might involve negotiating with one of their
    international distributors.

    B. Utopia Velo London

    http://www.utopia-fahrrad.de/Fahrrad_Html/Kapitel_Html/81_London_104.html

    The London is a bicycle offered by the German company Utopia Velo.
    Their website was entirely in German, so it was a little hard for me
    to figure out what the details of their offering are. Aside from
    being another overbuilt German panzerkampfvelo with the Rohloff hub
    option, this bicycle very different than the Sumo. Where the Sumo is
    more tour oriented, the London seems to be more comfort oriented. The
    London is built on a Chromium-Molybdenum steel frame with a 1-1/8 head
    tube in sizes up to 88cm. As far as other components are concerned,
    Utopia Velo offers a great many options. I have no idea what most of
    them mean. The bicycle uses 28" wheels with 36 spokes and rim
    brakes. The London price is clustered around $2500-$3000, with an
    exception for the Rohloff hub model, which costs around $4000. As far
    as I can tell, Utopia bicycles are not distributed internationally.
    They seem to be sold all over Germany, as well as one shop each in
    Austria
    and The Netherlands. That seems like a good excuse to go to Munich
    for Oktoberfest. Buy a big 'ol bike while you're there and ship it
    home to burn
    off all that beer when you get back.

    C. Co-Motion Mazama

    http://www.co-motion.com/single_bikes/mazama.html

    The Mazama rounds out the trio of high end bicycles. Unlike the other
    two, the Mazama is made in America. In fact, my friendly local
    bicycle store is a Co-Motion dealer. However, this bicycle is well
    outside of my price range. Co-Motion lists no rated capacity for the
    Mazama, so I sent them mail and asked if I would fit. They suggested
    that the handlebar and seatpost would probably have to be replaced.
    Furthermore, if my size exceeded the largest frame available (62cm),
    they suggested that I can get a custom sized frame. The Mazama uses
    Shimano XT/XTR components for the transmission. It uses a
    RaceFace Deus crankset. The wheels use tandem components. They are
    36
    or 40 spoke 700C Velocity Dyad rims with 700x35 tires and disc
    brakes. The list price for the Co-Motion Mazama is $2895. The
    Co-Pilot model is $3575. The Co-Pilot frame can be pulled apart in
    the middle and packed for airline travel. The frame and fork alone
    can be had for less.

    D. Zize A New Leaf

    http://www.supersizedcycles.com/product/HeavyDutyBicycle

    Zize is the brand name for the self-produced bicycles at
    supersizedcycles.com. Their model A New Leaf is the one I am most
    interested in, so that is the one I focus on here. Chalo Colina was
    pretty dismissive of this manufacturer. The web site is frustratingly
    detail-light when it comes to the specifics of their bicycles. They
    claim to be able to support a rider of 550lbs. There is no frame
    geometry or even a selection of frame sizes on their site. I sent
    them mail about the lack of detail or even sizing information. They
    told me that the frame they send you is sized based on inseam
    measurement. They also account for irregular proportions if you send
    those measurements as well. They did not actually say the frames were
    custom of any sort, so I guess they have a stock of different sized
    frames and they pick what you get. I also asked them about their
    components. They said the reason why they did not list specific
    components on the website is because their operation is so small that
    they cannot get the kind of steady parts supply that other builders
    can. They did send me the component list for their initial prototype
    and assured me that any parts shipped on a bike were at the same level
    or better.

    The rear wheel is built around a Shimano Nexus 7 speed hub with roller
    brake. The rims are Sun Rhyno Lite with 36 spokes. For what it's
    worth, this contradicts their photograph. The crankset is the FSA X
    Drive. It gets spotty reviews on mtbr.com. The complaint is not with
    the crank arms, but with the bottom bracket component itself:

    http://www.mtbr.com/cat/drivetrain/crankset/fsa/x-drive-bash/PRD_360202_115crx.aspx

    The list price is $1749.99.

    E. Kona Hoss

    http://www.konaworld.com/08_hoss_w.htm

    Rounding out the big man bikes is the Kona Hoss, marketed to
    Clydesdales by name. As far as I can tell, a Clydesdale is an athlete
    who weighs in excess of 200lb, so we can assume that the bike will
    support that. I wrote Kona about this, and they suggested that I
    should visit a Kona dealer for the best advice, though the Hoss would
    be fine for me after upgrading the grips, tires, and seat. The Hoss
    comes in sizes up to 22". The drive train is mostly Shimano Deore
    components. The wheels are 26" with 32 spokes and disc brakes. The
    crankset is the FSA Alpha Drive ISIS, which has lots of negative
    reviews on mtbr.com and a record of failure:

    http://www.mtbr.com/cat/drivetrain/crankset/fsa/alpha-drive/PRD_360198_115crx.aspx

    It is also unique on this list in that it has a suspension fork. The
    list price for the Kona Hoss is $999.

    III. Other Bicycles

    There are some other bicycles that may be appropriate for large men,
    though they are not explicitly marketed that way. I will discuss
    three of these bicycles: the Specialized Hardrock, the Worksman Coney
    Island Cruiser, and the Ellsworth The Ride. The last one may seem
    unconventional, but I will address that in a moment. There are also
    some other manufacturers of custom bicycles, recumbents, and trikes
    who may be able to put together a nice ride, for a price.

    A. Specialized Hardrock

    http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?sid=08Hardrock

    The Specialized Hardrock seems to be a favorite on the mtbr.com
    Clydesdale forum:

    http://forums.mtbr.com/forumdisplay.php?f=95

    The Specialized Hardrock has no stated capacity, so I asked them if I
    would be able to ride it safely. They were pretty frank in answering
    me, saying it would not be safe as configured. They suggested that
    replacing the wheels and fork would be sufficient. The Hardrock comes
    in a variety of sizes, including 21" and 24". This is important: the
    Hardrock is the only frame I've found that comes in such a large stock
    size that also is not part of some high-priced German tour de force.
    In fact, I've had a hard time finding anything at all above a 22" in a
    beefy frame. The Hardrock is fitted with low end Shimano and Suntour
    components. The Hardrock Sport base line model has a 32-spoke wheel
    with rim brakes, and the higher level models have 32-spoke wheels with
    disc brakes. The Hardrock also has a suspension fork that would have
    to be replaced. List prices are $420, $550, and $660.

    B. Worksman Coney Island Cruiser

    http://worksmancycles.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/cruisers.html

    The Worksman Coney Island Cruiser is the straight-bar cruiser in the
    Worksman American Cruiser lineup. It is the only one that comes in a
    20" frame, the largest they sell. Supersizedcycles.com resells the
    Worksman cruiser and states a capacity of 330lb, which is far too
    small for me. The Cruiser uses a Shimano internal gearing hub with a
    coaster brake in up to seven speeds. It also has an optional front
    drm brake. By default, the rims are 36h and made out of steel. These
    bicycles start at $299.99, and a fully tweaked out model would still
    be less than $1000.

    C. Ellsworth The Ride

    This probably seems a little ridiculous to the experienced reader.
    Bear with me for a moment, though. They claim that they can fit any
    rider with their "Expanding Universe" system. I wrote them and asked
    if I would fit. They told me that they would fit me with a metal
    seatpost instead of carbon fiber, and they suggested that I get the
    base model with the chain drive instead of the belt drive. I have
    never ridden their bikes, so I could not say whether The Ride would
    actually fit my frame, much less my weight. Perhaps someone has
    experience with this bicycle and can share its limitations. The Ride
    uses a Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT) hub for gearing
    instead of a conventional geared hub or a deraileur system. The
    wheels are 32-spoke with disc brakes in the back and apparently no
    brakes in the front. It has 26"x3" wheels. The fork is made of
    carbon fiber. The list price for the base model is $2995.

    D. Other Miscellaneous Makers

    Zinn will make custom bikes for very tall men and for heavy men.
    However, these are all custom. S&B Recumbents will make recumbent
    bicycles and recumbent tricycles for 400lb riders, including those
    nifty tadpole style trikes. Lightfoot makes the Ranger, a stock
    recumbent that
    will take a 350lb rider of up to 6'5" tall. They will make a longer
    frame. I am unsure if they will make a frame to carry heavier people,
    and I have not gotten a return mail from them yet about my inquiry.
    Otherwise, stock recumbents seem to have a capacity for a rider of
    no more than 275lb.

    IV. Chalo's Frankenstein

    Chalo Colina suggested that a very suitable bicycle could be built up
    from existing parts. I went down the parts list and tried to find
    these things to get a ballpark estimate for the total parts price.
    Where I could not find a particular part, I tried to find something
    equivalent, at least in terms of advertised functionality. Some parts
    I picked for no other reason than I like them.

    Hub: Gusset Jury Rear Hub

    I could not find a US dealer for this part. It costs about 70 GBP
    ($140) from dealers in the United Kingdom.

    Rims: Salsa Gordo 48h

    I could not find Sun-Ringle King Pin rims. This is another 26" rim
    that I found with 48 holes. These are $50 each.

    Tires: Schwalbe Big Apple

    These tires cost about $40 each.

    Crankset: Redline MONSTER

    This can be had for about $60.

    Chainring: Odyssey Million Dollar

    About $50. This has an integral external guard, and one can buy bolt
    on internal guards for total sprocket protection on both sides.

    Handlebars: Odyssey Lumberjack

    This is an 8" BMX handlebar. It's About $70.

    Seat: Electra Townie Saddle

    Electra will sell you one for $24.

    So, assuming we are using high end spokes that are roughly a dollar a
    piece, we are up over $600 on our budget now before buying a frame and
    a lot of other expensive parts. This also does not include the labor
    cost from the local bike store, if they will even do it for us.
    Fortunately, some communities have open bike shops where we can
    take your bike in and work on it using shared tools.

    Frame: ???

    The frame is where things get messy. The Nashbar frame that Chalo
    recommends is no longer sold by Nashbar. Now, they have a different
    steel frame called the Nashbar Signature 853 Mountain Frame. It only
    comes in sizes up to 21.5. It has a $399 list price, but the current
    price is $289:

    http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=6000130&subcategory=60001176&brand=&sku=17655&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=Shop%20by%20Subcat%3A%20Frames%2FBikes

    The Surly Instigator is another frame that Chalo mentioned. It only
    comes in sizes up to 20:

    http://www.surlybikes.com/instigator.html

    It can be had for about $400:

    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/FR310A01-Surly+Instigator+Frame.aspx

    There are plenty of "dirtjumper/urban assault" frames that are built
    very solid, but they only come in very small sizes and seem to have a
    geometry suited only to doing tricks. There's nothing wrong with
    that, but those solid frames cannot really be used by tall people.

    There are plenty of Aluminum hardtail frames out there. Some of them
    have got to come in the right size. Furthermore, the local bike shop
    might have some old ones on hand, as well.

    V. What Now?

    Given my budget, I really only have two reasonable choices from the
    things listed above. I could buy the Kona Hoss and start upgrading,
    or I could buy the Specialized Hardrock and start upgrading. My
    choices may be even more limited, because I have no idea what size
    frame I will need for proper fit. At this point, I'm leaning towards
    the Hardrock since lots of people like it, the lower price means I
    have more in the rest of my budget for aftermarket upgrades. Though
    the crankset may be unknown, at least it is not known to fail during
    use like the one on the Hoss. The idea here is to build up something
    like a pseudo-Sumo over time, where parts are upgraded in small groups
    until I have something that only needs preventative maintenance.

    The bottom line is, though, that I need to go to my local bike store
    and find a bike that fits. It may be that the Hoss just feels better
    to me, in which case I'm better off spending more money on that bike
    and replacing the crank before it goes.

    There may be more non-conventional options. A bullet proof jumbo
    sized fixed gear built up from parts would be cool and hopefully
    cheap. I'd have a better chance of actually getting it put together
    and working myself, I think, too. I'm not sure if that's appropriate
    for my experience and intended use, though.

    Maybe I should save my money and walk off the weight until I can fit a
    more conventional bike. I have a hybrid commute that is part carpool
    and part free bus, so I am not pressed to stop using my car to
    commute.

    I am open to other suggestions.

    VI. Some Questions

    I have some questions. Maybe you can answer them.

    A. Is there any way to estimate the labor cost for something like
    Chalo's Frankenstein from the friendly local bicycle store? Any store
    owners care to chime in about whether you would do that for me and how
    much you would charge?

    B. There are open shops in other towns where one can bring a bicycle
    in and do work using shared tools. Is there anything like that in the
    Greater Baltimore/Washington, DC area? I should probably direct this
    question to a local forum as well.

    C. Are there any books or online tutorials out there for putting
    together a bicycle from parts?

    D. What other stuff do I need? Presumably I need a pump, a car rack
    for taking bicycles to safe places on weekends, and some safety
    devices. Is there anything else that I need?

    E. I'm thinking of dropping by the Goodwill store tomorrow afternoon
    to pick up a beater so I can work on form out in the parking lot. I'm
    hoping to get myself re-aquainted with cycling before I go and scratch
    up some new bike that the local biking store puts underneath me to try
    out. Is this a bad idea? How likely is a catastrophic failure under
    gentle usage conditions with a thrift store special? Will this course
    of action result only in tears and a trip to the emergency room?

    Thanks for reading the whole thing.

    --
    Gary

  2. Gary Jackson said:

    I. Introduction

    I am 6'4", 400lbs, and I am looking for a bicycle. I have three main
    reasons riding a bicycle. First, I would like to be able to ride with
    my wife occasionally. She's riding a Specialized Sequoyah that we
    bought last week for her. It was considerably easier to shop for her.
    Second, I would like to run short errands with the bicycle. It seems
    like a terrible waste to start the car just to go to the grocery
    store. Third, I would like to be able to commute with the bike. The
    commute involves a lot of riding on two-lane roads including some
    stretches where there is no shoulder.

    I have not been on a bike in about 18 years, so I definitely will not
    be riding my dodgy commuter route until I get in better shape and can
    handle the bicycle proficiently. My last bicycle was some junky
    Wally-World 24" thing with a gear shift that did not work that I used
    until I outgrew it completely. I am a little concerned about getting
    back in the saddle, particularly since my form was never very good in
    the first place.

    I've been doing a lot of research to find out what my options are. I
    am working with a particular budget in mind that does not fit too many
    of the things that I am about to list. However, I have included
    them here for reference and comparison purposes. This post is a
    response and update to a post from Chalo Colina to rec.bicycles.misc
    from about a year ago:

    http://groups.google.com/group/rec.bicycles.misc/msg/3adb61b486b8a06d?

    Some of the information has changed in the last year. Some of it is
    the same, but I go in to more detail about the offerings. In
    particular, I have focused my attention on the components that Chalo
    has picked out as important, such as wheels and cranksets. Sometimes
    the information on a vendor's website is not clear. In those cases, I
    have sent mail to them and asked for details or a clarification. I
    also address some other options that were not mentioned in the
    previous post.

    Before I get in to the nitty gritty, I need to make a point: I am not
    an expert. As I have stated previously, it has been a very long time
    since I have been on a bicycle. Anything that is written here is done
    because I read it on a web page some where, not from any actual
    practical experience. When you take advice from random people on the
    internet, you take your life and safety in to your own hands. This is
    doubly true in this case because I do not even pretend to know what I
    am talking about. By that same token, if you see some point on which
    I am clearly wrong, please reply so that others will not be mislead by
    my mistake.

    II. Existing Bicycles Marketed to Large Riders

    The first three bicycles addressed here seem to be the big three in
    terms of bicycles targeted to the fat man market. They are well
    built machines with quality components with a commensurate price tag.
    The last two are more affordable but may have problems of their own.

    A. Schauff Sumo

    http://www.schauff.de/schauff2002.de/index.php?language=e&action=fahr...

    The first bicycle that Chalo addressed is the Schauff Sumo. This fine
    piece of German engineering has a rated capacity of 200kg (440lb) and
    comes in frame sizes up to 80cm (27.5 in). They also sell a mountain
    bike version with a capacity of 170kg (375lb). The finished bicycle
    weighs in at 18.5kg (40lb), which seems to be about what to expect for
    an overbuilt bicycle for large men. The frame is 7020 Aluminum and it
    has the big 1.5" head tube. The Sumo uses Shimano Saint or Hone parts
    at various trim levels. At the top trim level, Shauff offers the
    Rohloff 14-gear hub. The Sumo has 36-spoke wheels with disc brakes.
    As far as I can tell, it uses 26" wheels. This bicycle is priced from
    about $2900 to $4700. The cost of the highest trim level is probably
    due to the Rohloff hub, which by itself costs more than most
    bicycles. There is still no North American distributor for Schauff.
    As Chalo noted, buying one might involve negotiating with one of their
    international distributors.

    B. Utopia Velo London

    http://www.utopia-fahrrad.de/Fahrrad_Html/Kapitel_Html/81_London_104....

    The London is a bicycle offered by the German company Utopia Velo.
    Their website was entirely in German, so it was a little hard for me
    to figure out what the details of their offering are. Aside from
    being another overbuilt German panzerkampfvelo with the Rohloff hub
    option, this bicycle very different than the Sumo. Where the Sumo is
    more tour oriented, the London seems to be more comfort oriented. The
    London is built on a Chromium-Molybdenum steel frame with a 1-1/8 head
    tube in sizes up to 88cm. As far as other components are concerned,
    Utopia Velo offers a great many options. I have no idea what most of
    them mean. The bicycle uses 28" wheels with 36 spokes and rim
    brakes. The London price is clustered around $2500-$3000, with an
    exception for the Rohloff hub model, which costs around $4000. As far
    as I can tell, Utopia bicycles are not distributed internationally.
    They seem to be sold all over Germany, as well as one shop each in
    Austria
    and The Netherlands. That seems like a good excuse to go to Munich
    for Oktoberfest. Buy a big 'ol bike while you're there and ship it
    home to burn
    off all that beer when you get back.

    C. Co-Motion Mazama

    http://www.co-motion.com/single_bikes/mazama.html

    The Mazama rounds out the trio of high end bicycles. Unlike the other
    two, the Mazama is made in America. In fact, my friendly local
    bicycle store is a Co-Motion dealer. However, this bicycle is well
    outside of my price range. Co-Motion lists no rated capacity for the
    Mazama, so I sent them mail and asked if I would fit. They suggested
    that the handlebar and seatpost would probably have to be replaced.
    Furthermore, if my size exceeded the largest frame available (62cm),
    they suggested that I can get a custom sized frame. The Mazama uses
    Shimano XT/XTR components for the transmission. It uses a
    RaceFace Deus crankset. The wheels use tandem components. They are
    36
    or 40 spoke 700C Velocity Dyad rims with 700x35 tires and disc
    brakes. The list price for the Co-Motion Mazama is $2895. The
    Co-Pilot model is $3575. The Co-Pilot frame can be pulled apart in
    the middle and packed for airline travel. The frame and fork alone
    can be had for less.

    D. Zize A New Leaf

    http://www.supersizedcycles.com/product/HeavyDutyBicycle

    Zize is the brand name for the self-produced bicycles at
    supersizedcycles.com. Their model A New Leaf is the one I am most
    interested in, so that is the one I focus on here. Chalo Colina was
    pretty dismissive of this manufacturer. The web site is frustratingly
    detail-light when it comes to the specifics of their bicycles. They
    claim to be able to support a rider of 550lbs. There is no frame
    geometry or even a selection of frame sizes on their site. I sent
    them mail about the lack of detail or even sizing information. They
    told me that the frame they send you is sized based on inseam
    measurement. They also account for irregular proportions if you send
    those measurements as well. They did not actually say the frames were
    custom of any sort, so I guess they have a stock of different sized
    frames and they pick what you get. I also asked them about their
    components. They said the reason why they did not list specific
    components on the website is because their operation is so small that
    they cannot get the kind of steady parts supply that other builders
    can. They did send me the component list for their initial prototype
    and assured me that any parts shipped on a bike were at the same level
    or better.

    The rear wheel is built around a Shimano Nexus 7 speed hub with roller
    brake. The rims are Sun Rhyno Lite with 36 spokes. For what it's
    worth, this contradicts their photograph. The crankset is the FSA X
    Drive. It gets spotty reviews on mtbr.com. The complaint is not with
    the crank arms, but with the bottom bracket component itself:

    http://www.mtbr.com/cat/drivetrain/crankset/fsa/x-drive-bash/PRD_3602...

    The list price is $1749.99.

    E. Kona Hoss

    http://www.konaworld.com/08_hoss_w.htm

    Rounding out the big man bikes is the Kona Hoss, marketed to
    Clydesdales by name. As far as I can tell, a Clydesdale is an athlete
    who weighs in excess of 200lb, so we can assume that the bike will
    support that. I wrote Kona about this, and they suggested that I
    should visit a Kona dealer for the best advice, though the Hoss would
    be fine for me after upgrading the grips, tires, and seat. The Hoss
    comes in sizes up to 22". The drive train is mostly Shimano Deore
    components. The wheels are 26" with 32 spokes and disc brakes. The
    crankset is the FSA Alpha Drive ISIS, which has lots of negative
    reviews on mtbr.com and a record of failure:

    http://www.mtbr.com/cat/drivetrain/crankset/fsa/alpha-drive/PRD_36019...

    It is also unique on this list in that it has a suspension fork. The
    list price for the Kona Hoss is $999.

    III. Other Bicycles

    There are some other bicycles that may be appropriate for large men,
    though they are not explicitly marketed that way. I will discuss
    three of these bicycles: the Specialized Hardrock, the Worksman Coney
    Island Cruiser, and the Ellsworth The Ride. The last one may seem
    unconventional, but I will address that in a moment. There are also
    some other manufacturers of custom bicycles, recumbents, and trikes
    who may be able to put together a nice ride, for a price.

    A. Specialized Hardrock

    http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?sid=08Hardrock

    The Specialized Hardrock seems to be a favorite on the mtbr.com
    Clydesdale forum:

    http://forums.mtbr.com/forumdisplay.php?f=95

    The Specialized Hardrock has no stated capacity, so I asked them if I
    would be able to ride it safely. They were pretty frank in answering
    me, saying it would not be safe as configured. They suggested that
    replacing the wheels and fork would be sufficient. The Hardrock comes
    in a variety of sizes, including 21" and 24". This is important: the
    Hardrock is the only frame I've found that comes in such a large stock
    size that also is not part of some high-priced German tour de force.
    In fact, I've had a hard time finding anything at all above a 22" in a
    beefy frame. The Hardrock is fitted with low end Shimano and Suntour
    components. The Hardrock Sport base line model has a 32-spoke wheel
    with rim brakes, and the higher level models have 32-spoke wheels with
    disc brakes. The Hardrock also has a suspension fork that would have
    to be replaced. List prices are $420, $550, and $660.

    B. Worksman Coney Island Cruiser

    http://worksmancycles.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/cruisers.html

    The Worksman Coney Island Cruiser is the straight-bar cruiser in the
    Worksman American Cruiser lineup. It is the only one that comes in a
    20" frame, the largest they sell. Supersizedcycles.com resells the
    Worksman cruiser and states a capacity of 330lb, which is far too
    small for me. The Cruiser uses a Shimano internal gearing hub with a
    coaster brake in up to seven speeds. It also has an optional front
    drm brake. By default, the rims are 36h and made out of steel. These
    bicycles start at $299.99, and a fully tweaked out model would still
    be less than $1000.

    C. Ellsworth The Ride

    This probably seems a little ridiculous to the experienced reader.
    Bear with me for a moment, though. They claim that they can fit any
    rider with their "Expanding Universe" system. I wrote them and asked
    if I would fit. They told me that they would fit me with a metal
    seatpost instead of carbon fiber, and they suggested that I get the
    base model with the chain drive instead of the belt drive. I have
    never ridden their bikes, so I could not say whether The Ride would
    actually fit my frame, much less my weight. Perhaps someone has
    experience with this bicycle and can share its limitations. The Ride
    uses a Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT) hub for gearing
    instead of a conventional geared hub or a deraileur system. The
    wheels are 32-spoke with disc brakes in the back and apparently no
    brakes in the front. It has 26"x3" wheels. The fork is made of
    carbon fiber. The list price for the base model is $2995.

    D. Other Miscellaneous Makers

    Zinn will make custom bikes for very tall men and for heavy men.
    However, these are all custom. S&B Recumbents will make recumbent
    bicycles and recumbent tricycles for 400lb riders, including those
    nifty tadpole style trikes. Lightfoot makes the Ranger, a stock
    recumbent that
    will take a 350lb rider of up to 6'5" tall. They will make a longer
    frame. I am unsure if they will make a frame to carry heavier people,
    and I have not gotten a return mail from them yet about my inquiry.
    Otherwise, stock recumbents seem to have a capacity for a rider of
    no more than 275lb.

    IV. Chalo's Frankenstein

    Chalo Colina suggested that a very suitable bicycle could be built up
    from existing parts. I went down the parts list and tried to find
    these things to get a ballpark estimate for the total parts price.
    Where I could not find a particular part, I tried to find something
    equivalent, at least in terms of advertised functionality. Some parts
    I picked for no other reason than I like them.

    Hub: Gusset Jury Rear Hub

    I could not find a US dealer for this part. It costs about 70 GBP
    ($140) from dealers in the United Kingdom.

    Rims: Salsa Gordo 48h

    I could not find Sun-Ringle King Pin rims. This is another 26" rim
    that I found with 48 holes. These are $50 each.

    Tires: Schwalbe Big Apple

    These tires cost about $40 each.

    Crankset: Redline MONSTER

    This can be had for about $60.

    Chainring: Odyssey Million Dollar

    About $50. This has an integral external guard, and one can buy bolt
    on internal guards for total sprocket protection on both sides.

    Handlebars: Odyssey Lumberjack

    This is an 8" BMX handlebar. It's About $70.

    Seat: Electra Townie Saddle

    Electra will sell you one for $24.

    So, assuming we are using high end spokes that are roughly a dollar a
    piece, we are up over $600 on our budget now before buying a frame and
    a lot of other expensive parts. This also does not include the labor
    cost from the local bike store, if they will even do it for us.
    Fortunately, some communities have open bike shops where we can
    take your bike in and work on it using shared tools.

    Frame: ???

    The frame is where things get messy. The Nashbar frame that Chalo
    recommends is no longer sold by Nashbar. Now, they have a different
    steel frame called the Nashbar Signature 853 Mountain Frame. It only
    comes in sizes up to 21.5. It has a $399 list price, but the current
    price is $289:

    http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=6000130&subcategory=60001...

    The Surly Instigator is another frame that Chalo mentioned. It only
    comes in sizes up to 20:

    http://www.surlybikes.com/instigator.html

    It can be had for about $400:

    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/FR310A01-Surly+Instigator+Fram...

    There are plenty of "dirtjumper/urban assault" frames that are built
    very solid, but they only come in very small sizes and seem to have a
    geometry suited only to doing tricks. There's nothing wrong with
    that, but those solid frames cannot really be used by tall people.

    There are plenty of Aluminum hardtail frames out there. Some of them
    have got to come in the right size. Furthermore, the local bike shop
    might have some old ones on hand, as well.

    V. What Now?

    Given my budget, I really only have two reasonable choices from the
    things listed above. I could buy the Kona Hoss and start upgrading,
    or I could buy the Specialized Hardrock and start upgrading. My
    choices may be even more limited, because I have no idea what size
    frame I will need for proper fit. At this point, I'm leaning towards
    the Hardrock since lots of people like it, the lower price means I
    have more in the rest of my budget for aftermarket upgrades. Though
    the crankset may be unknown, at least it is not known to fail during
    use like the one on the Hoss. The idea here is to build up something
    like a pseudo-Sumo over time, where parts are upgraded in small groups
    until I have something that only needs preventative maintenance.

    The bottom line is, though, that I need to go to my local bike store
    and find a bike that fits. It may be that the Hoss just feels better
    to me, in which case I'm better off spending more money on that bike
    and replacing the crank before it goes.

    There may be more non-conventional options. A bullet proof jumbo
    sized fixed gear built up from parts would be cool and hopefully
    cheap. I'd have a better chance of actually getting it put together
    and working myself, I think, too. I'm not sure if that's appropriate
    for my experience and intended use, though.

    Maybe I should save my money and walk off the weight until I can fit a
    more conventional bike. I have a hybrid commute that is part carpool
    and part free bus, so I am not pressed to stop using my car to
    commute.

    I am open to other suggestions.

    VI. Some Questions

    I have some questions. Maybe you can answer them.

    A. Is there any way to estimate the labor cost for something like
    Chalo's Frankenstein from the friendly local bicycle store? Any store
    owners care to chime in about whether you would do that for me and how
    much you would charge?

    B. There are open shops in other towns where one can bring a bicycle
    in and do work using shared tools. Is there anything like that in the
    Greater Baltimore/Washington, DC area? I should probably direct this
    question to a local forum as well.

    C. Are there any books or online tutorials out there for putting
    together a bicycle from parts?

    D. What other stuff do I need? Presumably I need a pump, a car rack
    for taking bicycles to safe places on weekends, and some safety
    devices. Is there anything else that I need?

    E. I'm thinking of dropping by the Goodwill store tomorrow afternoon
    to pick up a beater so I can work on form out in the parking lot. I'm
    hoping to get myself re-aquainted with cycling before I go and scratch
    up some new bike that the local biking store puts underneath me to try
    out. Is this a bad idea? How likely is a catastrophic failure under
    gentle usage conditions with a thrift store special? Will this course
    of action result only in tears and a trip to the emergency room?

    Thanks for reading the whole thing.

    --
    Gary

    I'm wondering if a straight-ahead touring bike might do the trick. I
    weigh 250, and I've hung over 75 lbs of gear on my Surly Long Haul
    Trucker, and it was rock solid. It comes stock with 36 spoke wheels,
    which isn't as common as it should be. Tires are a bouncy 37mm. I'm 6'-
    even and ride a 60cm model, though most six-footers go for a 58cm.
    They make a 62cm, which would probably fit you fine, though you might
    want to upgrade the stock Kalloy seatpost with a Thompson, if you have
    the seat very high at all. The complete bike sells for under a grand,
    and is nothing if not overbuilt.

    http://www.surlybikes.com/lht_comp.html

    Send them mail, see what they think, if it can handle that much man.

  3. Gary Jackson said:

    I. Introduction

    I am 6'4", 400lbs, and I am looking for a bicycle.

    <snip>

    tldr.

    google this group for the experiences of chalo colina. regular
    contributor. big guy. he'll set you straight.

  4. On Thu, 05 Jun 2008 21:36:47 -0700, jim beam <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:
    Gary Jackson said:

    I. Introduction

    I am 6'4", 400lbs, and I am looking for a bicycle.

    <snip>

    tldr.

    google this group for the experiences of chalo colina. regular
    contributor. big guy. he'll set you straight.

    You might have at least skimmed it, even if you were too lazy to read,
    which would have prevented you from inserting your foot quite that deep in
    your mouth.

    Jasper

  5. Jasper Janssen said:

    On Thu, 05 Jun 2008 21:36:47 -0700, jim beam <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:
    Gary Jackson said:

    I. Introduction

    I am 6'4", 400lbs, and I am looking for a bicycle.


    <snip>

    tldr.

    google this group for the experiences of chalo colina. regular
    contributor. big guy. he'll set you straight.

    You might have at least skimmed it, even if you were too lazy to read,
    which would have prevented you from inserting your foot quite that deep in
    your mouth.

    eh?

  6. jim beam said:
    Jasper Janssen said:

    On Thu, 05 Jun 2008 21:36:47 -0700, jim beam <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    Gary Jackson wrote:
    > I. Introduction

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > I am 6'4", 400lbs, and I am looking for a bicycle.
    <snip>

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    tldr.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    google this group for the experiences of chalo colina. regular
    contributor. big guy. he'll set you straight.

    Quoted message said:

    You might have at least skimmed it, even if you were too lazy to read,
    which would have prevented you from inserting your foot quite that deep in
    your mouth.

    eh?

    He's saying that my post makes it clear that I am aware of Chalo
    Colina and his posts here and in other forums with respect to heavy
    riders. My missive is in large part an expansion and an update to a
    post from Chalo Colina from about a year ago.

    --
    Gary

  7. Gary Jackson said:

    I. Introduction

    I am 6'4", 400lbs, and I am looking for a bicycle.

    Quoted message said:

    A. Specialized Hardrock

    http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?sid=08Hardrock

    The Specialized Hardrock seems to be a favorite on the mtbr.com
    Clydesdale forum:

    http://forums.mtbr.com/forumdisplay.php?f=95

    The Specialized Hardrock has no stated capacity, so I asked them if I
    would be able to ride it safely. They were pretty frank in answering
    me, saying it would not be safe as configured. They suggested that
    replacing the wheels and fork would be sufficient. The Hardrock comes
    in a variety of sizes, including 21" and 24".

    I think the most economical solution is an upgraded MTB. At your size, a
    well made MTB should be adequate for road riding since they are designed
    for much more stressful terrain.

    My guess is that the typical wheels would be adequate if properly set
    up. Ditto for the cranks, although I wouldn't pedal standing -- just in
    case.

    The biggest problem with a stock set up I see would be the seat post and
    fork. The seat post is a concern because you're both tall and heavy, so
    that means a lot of extension with a large load. Aluminum MTB frames
    help here, because the seat tube is usually a larger diameter than most
    other frames, but I'd still be concerned with a stock post. I'd also
    worry about the fork, not only for possible failure, but also that it
    would bottom out just from static load.

    Unfortunately, most of the replacement seat posts and forks seem
    designed for lower weight, not greater strength.

    I'm 6'10"/235lb. I typically ride either MTB's or touring bikes. I've
    done lots of fairly extreme off-road riding, including years of pulling
    a 100+ lb trailer. I have used 22 in MTB frames and 68cm touring frames.
    I prefer (when I can) to use MTB components on my road bikes
    (cheaper/stronger).

    On my first MTB (12 years ago), I originally used a rigid steel fork,
    upgrading after a couple of years to a "downhill" suspension fork. I
    reasoned that this might be stronger than a "cross country" fork, since
    downhillers don't care about weight. It worked well, never even wore the
    bushings after 1,000's of trail miles. I swapped the frame & fork a
    couple of years ago for a frame off a $300 mail-order MTB (GT) and a
    low-end suspension fork (RS Dart). Those have been fine.

    I think you could probably get by with a 22" frame, although you might
    be better off with a 24", if you can find one, since it'll require less
    seat post extension. I currently use a 425mm post, out all the way to
    the minimum insertion mark, something that gives me pause, even at my
    weight. A rigid steel fork would probably be the ideal way to go.

  8. Peter Cole said:

    I think the most economical solution is an upgraded MTB. At your size, a
    well made MTB should be adequate for road riding since they are designed
    for much more stressful terrain.

    I agree.

    Quoted message said:

    My guess is that the typical wheels would be adequate if properly set
    up. Ditto for the cranks, although I wouldn't pedal standing -- just in
    case.

    I was planning on leaving those components for the time being. Wheel
    spoke failure sounds like it usually isn't catastrophic, so I'll
    probably just ride it until something breaks then think about
    upgrading the drive train.

    Quoted message said:

    The biggest problem with a stock set up I see would be the seat post and
    fork. The seat post is a concern because you're both tall and heavy, so
    that means a lot of extension with a large load. Aluminum MTB frames
    help here, because the seat tube is usually a larger diameter than most
    other frames, but I'd still be concerned with a stock post. I'd also
    worry about the fork, not only for possible failure, but also that it
    would bottom out just from static load.

    Chalo suggests getting a solid bar of 7025 aluminum milled down in to
    a seatpost. I suppose this means I need to find a machine shop or
    make friends with someone who has a machinist's lathe.

    Quoted message said:

    I think you could probably get by with a 22" frame, although you might
    be better off with a 24", if you can find one, since it'll require less
    seat post extension. I currently use a 425mm post, out all the way to
    the minimum insertion mark, something that gives me pause, even at my
    weight. A rigid steel fork would probably be the ideal way to go.

    I've definitely been planning on replacing the fork. I'll probably go
    with the Instigator fork, since Surly seems to have a pretty good
    reputation.

    --
    Gary

  9. <snip detailed discussion>

    Congratulations on wanting to take up bicycling. It's a great way to
    get around.

    It really shouldn't be that hard to find a bike that would work for you.
    At your height, a 62 cm road type frame would work well in terms of
    sizing (e.g., the largest Mazama). The frame part is actually pretty
    easy, IMHO. The main issues to address would be adequate wheel strength
    (I'd go with 48 spoke wheels- wheels for a tandem ought to fill the bill
    just fine) and adequate brakes. Chalo is, out of necessity, way more up
    on the latter than I am. You'd want wider tires than most road bikes,
    too.

    In terms of frames, basically what you're looking for is a tandem built
    for one. Bob Brown Cycles in St. Paul MN has experience in building
    frames for big/tall people.

    http://www.bobbrowncycles.com/

    He built one for Scott Cutshall, who started riding bike when he weighed
    500 pounds.

    http://www.startribune.com/lifestyle/health/16782826.html

    http://istanbultea.typepad.com/

    http://thegearjunkie.com/large-fella-on-a-bike

    FWIW, the prototype for the Mazama was built for Rivendell Bicycle
    Works, who decided they couldn't produce it but looked for someone who
    could- Co-Motion was interested in developing and refining the project.

  10. Gary Jackson said:


    II. Existing Bicycles Marketed to Large Riders

    Here's another one for the list - although so far as I can see they
    market only in Europe

    http://www.cactus10.com/bigboy/bigboy-en.html

    --
    Rob Lindauer - Please change "att" to "sbc" for my real email address

  11. In article
    <[email hidden]>,

    Gary Jackson said:

    I. Introduction

    I am 6'4", 400lbs, and I am looking for a bicycle. I have three main
    reasons riding a bicycle. First, I would like to be able to ride with
    my wife occasionally. She's riding a Specialized Sequoyah that we
    bought last week for her. It was considerably easier to shop for her.
    Second, I would like to run short errands with the bicycle. It seems
    like a terrible waste to start the car just to go to the grocery
    store. Third, I would like to be able to commute with the bike. The
    commute involves a lot of riding on two-lane roads including some
    stretches where there is no shoulder.

    I have not been on a bike in about 18 years, so I definitely will not
    be riding my dodgy commuter route until I get in better shape and can
    handle the bicycle proficiently. My last bicycle was some junky
    Wally-World 24" thing with a gear shift that did not work that I used
    until I outgrew it completely. I am a little concerned about getting
    back in the saddle, particularly since my form was never very good in
    the first place.

    I've been doing a lot of research to find out what my options are. I
    am working with a particular budget in mind that does not fit too many
    of the things that I am about to list. However, I have included
    them here for reference and comparison purposes. This post is a
    response and update to a post from Chalo Colina to rec.bicycles.misc
    from about a year ago:

    http://groups.google.com/group/rec.bicycles.misc/msg/3adb61b486b8a06d?

    Some of the information has changed in the last year. Some of it is
    the same, but I go in to more detail about the offerings. In
    particular, I have focused my attention on the components that Chalo
    has picked out as important, such as wheels and cranksets. Sometimes
    the information on a vendor's website is not clear. In those cases, I
    have sent mail to them and asked for details or a clarification. I
    also address some other options that were not mentioned in the
    previous post.

    Before I get in to the nitty gritty, I need to make a point: I am not
    an expert. As I have stated previously, it has been a very long time
    since I have been on a bicycle. Anything that is written here is done
    because I read it on a web page some where, not from any actual
    practical experience. When you take advice from random people on the
    internet, you take your life and safety in to your own hands. This is
    doubly true in this case because I do not even pretend to know what I
    am talking about. By that same token, if you see some point on which
    I am clearly wrong, please reply so that others will not be mislead by
    my mistake.

    Understand from the start that propelling a bicycle is
    work. Many people who start out on a bicycle do not take
    into account that they are not physically adapted to ride
    a bicycle, and become discouraged when they are blindsided
    by this aspect. Adapting can take a bit of time: a year
    or more. You will adapt and you will be adapting the
    bicycle to suit yourself. Biking is fun, and cheap fun too.

    In addition to physical challenges one must learn to
    control the bicycle while maintaining attention for what
    is going on around you; looking at the roadway so as to
    avoid debris and obstacles; and plotting your course.

    You should add to your list of candidates the cargo bicycle
    with long wheel bases and built to carry a rider and cargo
    of more than average mass.

    <http://www.cargocycling.org/2007/06/bakfiets-two-wh.html>
    <http://relocalize.net/yuba_mundo_cargo_bicycle_is_here>
    <http://www.davidwilsonindustries.com/gallery/cargo/borracho/index.html>

    And there is the Xtracycle kit.

    --
    Michael Press

  12. Tim McNamara said:

    <snip detailed discussion>

    Congratulations on wanting to take up bicycling. It's a great way to
    get around.

    It's looking like it might be a great intellectual hobby as well.
    Getting a bike together within my budget will require at least some
    tinkering. Fortunately, the University where I work has an open bike
    shop with tools and instructors who will teach walk-in people how to
    work on their bicycles.

    Quoted message said:

    It really shouldn't be that hard to find a bike that would work for you.
    At your height, a 62 cm road type frame would work well in terms of
    sizing (e.g., the largest Mazama). The frame part is actually pretty
    easy, IMHO. The main issues to address would be adequate wheel strength
    (I'd go with 48 spoke wheels- wheels for a tandem ought to fill the bill
    just fine) and adequate brakes. Chalo is, out of necessity, way more up
    on the latter than I am. You'd want wider tires than most road bikes,
    too.

    I wonder out loud if 40 or 48 spokes is enough to make up for the
    necessary wheel asymmetry for disc brakes, for my purpose.

    Quoted message said:

    In terms of frames, basically what you're looking for is a tandem built
    for one. Bob Brown Cycles in St. Paul MN has experience in building
    frames for big/tall people.

    http://www.bobbrowncycles.com/

    <snipped bit about Scott Cutshall>

    Good point. I'd read the Star-Tribune article, but somehow Bob Brown
    didn't make it in to my notes.

    --
    Gary

  13. Rob Lindauer said:
    Gary Jackson said:

    II. Existing Bicycles Marketed to Large Riders

    Here's another one for the list - although so far as I can see they
    market only in Europe

    http://www.cactus10.com/bigboy/bigboy-en.html

    The page itself is pretty detail-light. The white "Fat Frank" tires
    look pretty sweet, though they probably lose a bit of that after
    riding around on dirty asphalt. There appears to be some
    supplementary material including a price list, but those links are
    broken at the moment. I sent them mail to let them know. I've also
    asked them if their bicycles are available in the United States.

    I should probably send a similar query to Schauff and Utopia Velo.

    --
    Gary

  14. Gary Jackson said:
    jim beam said:
    Jasper Janssen said:

    On Thu, 05 Jun 2008 21:36:47 -0700, jim beam <[email hidden]>
    wrote:
    > Gary Jackson wrote:
    >> I. Introduction
    >> I am 6'4", 400lbs, and I am looking for a bicycle.
    > <snip>
    > tldr.
    > google this group for the experiences of chalo colina. regular
    > contributor. big guy. he'll set you straight.
    You might have at least skimmed it, even if you were too lazy to read,
    which would have prevented you from inserting your foot quite that deep in
    your mouth.


    eh?

    He's saying that my post makes it clear that I am aware of Chalo
    Colina and his posts here and in other forums with respect to heavy
    riders. My missive is in large part an expansion and an update to a
    post from Chalo Colina from about a year ago.

    "aware of" and "paying attention to" appear to be two different things.

  15. In article
    <[email hidden]>,

    Gary Jackson said:
    Tim McNamara said:

    <snip detailed discussion>

    Congratulations on wanting to take up bicycling. It's a great way
    to get around.

    It's looking like it might be a great intellectual hobby as well.
    Getting a bike together within my budget will require at least some
    tinkering. Fortunately, the University where I work has an open bike
    shop with tools and instructors who will teach walk-in people how to
    work on their bicycles.

    Quoted message said:

    It really shouldn't be that hard to find a bike that would work for
    you. At your height, a 62 cm road type frame would work well in
    terms of sizing (e.g., the largest Mazama). The frame part is
    actually pretty easy, IMHO. The main issues to address would be
    adequate wheel strength (I'd go with 48 spoke wheels- wheels for a
    tandem ought to fill the bill just fine) and adequate brakes.
    Chalo is, out of necessity, way more up on the latter than I am.
    You'd want wider tires than most road bikes, too.

    I wonder out loud if 40 or 48 spokes is enough to make up for the
    necessary wheel asymmetry for disc brakes, for my purpose.

    Well, considering the asymmetry caused in the read wheel by the
    cassette- known as "dish"- disks would cause only a slight dish to the
    wheel. I'm not all that convinced about disk brakes and there are some
    potential problems (rotor warpage, wheel ejection, etc.). Searching the
    group for "disk brakes" and "wheel ejection" will provide you with
    several very extensive threads on the topic, complete with intense
    vituperation.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    In terms of frames, basically what you're looking for is a tandem
    built for one. Bob Brown Cycles in St. Paul MN has experience in
    building frames for big/tall people.

    http://www.bobbrowncycles.com/

    <snipped bit about Scott Cutshall>

    Good point. I'd read the Star-Tribune article, but somehow Bob Brown
    didn't make it in to my notes.

    Bob does nice work.

  16. Gary Jackson said:
    Tim McNamara said:

    <snip detailed discussion>

    Congratulations on wanting to take up bicycling. It's a great way to
    get around.

    It's looking like it might be a great intellectual hobby as well.

    eh?

    Quoted message said:

    Getting a bike together within my budget will require at least some
    tinkering. Fortunately, the University where I work has an open bike
    shop with tools and instructors who will teach walk-in people how to
    work on their bicycles.

    Quoted message said:

    It really shouldn't be that hard to find a bike that would work for you.
    At your height, a 62 cm road type frame would work well in terms of
    sizing (e.g., the largest Mazama). The frame part is actually pretty
    easy, IMHO. The main issues to address would be adequate wheel strength
    (I'd go with 48 spoke wheels- wheels for a tandem ought to fill the bill
    just fine) and adequate brakes. Chalo is, out of necessity, way more up
    on the latter than I am. You'd want wider tires than most road bikes,
    too.

    I wonder out loud if 40 or 48 spokes is enough to make up for the
    necessary wheel asymmetry for disc brakes, for my purpose.

    for front hubs, it's a minor difference, maybe 10%. for rears, it's zero.

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    In terms of frames, basically what you're looking for is a tandem built
    for one. Bob Brown Cycles in St. Paul MN has experience in building
    frames for big/tall people.

    http://www.bobbrowncycles.com/

    <snipped bit about Scott Cutshall>

    Good point. I'd read the Star-Tribune article, but somehow Bob Brown
    didn't make it in to my notes.

    --
    Gary

  17. Michael Press said:

    Understand from the start that propelling a bicycle is
    work. Many people who start out on a bicycle do not take
    into account that they are not physically adapted to ride
    a bicycle, and become discouraged when they are blindsided
    by this aspect. Adapting can take a bit of time: a year
    or more. You will adapt and you will be adapting the
    bicycle to suit yourself. Biking is fun, and cheap fun too.

    I get that. I started geocaching about a year ago. Every time I
    climbed a hill I thought I was going to pass out and die. I walk much
    more regularly now, and hills are much easier. I know it's not the
    same with a bicycle: I'll be using different muscles in different
    ways, and I'm going to pay for it to begin with.

    Quoted message said:

    In addition to physical challenges one must learn to
    control the bicycle while maintaining attention for what
    is going on around you; looking at the roadway so as to
    avoid debris and obstacles; and plotting your course.

    This concerns me quite a bit. I'd rather not inconvenience an SUV
    driver by getting my blood all up in their wheel wells. I found out
    today that I can rent a mountain bike from the University for $15/day,
    which will give me a chance to get used to bicycles again in a large
    and relatively safe place that I know very well.

    Quoted message said:

    You should add to your list of candidates the cargo bicycle
    with long wheel bases and built to carry a rider and cargo
    of more than average mass.

    <http://www.cargocycling.org/2007/06/bakfiets-two-wh.html>
    <http://relocalize.net/yuba_mundo_cargo_bicycle_is_here>
    <http://www.davidwilsonindustries.com/gallery/cargo/borracho/index.html>

    Those are pretty cool, but I think they may present handling problems
    to uncoordinated, inexperienced riders. The article about bakfiets
    states that the two-wheel cargo bikes are hard to handle at low speed,
    and that cargo trikes present a tip danger at higher speeds.

    Speaking of bakfiets and other types of fiets, I went looking to see
    if the famous solid-built, upright-posture Dutch bikes can be had in
    the United States. The answer is yes, but only in a few places. One
    dealer on the west coast carries the Dutch brand Azor and the Danish
    brand Velorbis:

    http://www.dutchbikeseattle.com/html/bikes/index.html

    I sent these guys mail while composing this post. They got back to me
    right away. They suggested that the 65cm or 70cm Transport, or the
    65cm Kruisframe would be most appropriate. Unfortunately, those bikes
    are far enough out of my budget to make stretching impossible. That's
    too bad.

    Dutch bicycle distributor for the United States:

    http://www.dutchbikes.us

    Quoted message said:

    And there is the Xtracycle kit.

    I worry about those for heavy riders. The rear wheel is moved back to
    make room for the super sized cargo area, so more strain is put on the
    middle of the bike frame.

    --
    Gary

  18. Gary Jackson said:

    if the famous solid-built, upright-posture Dutch bikes can be had in
    the United States.  The answer is yes, but only in a few places.  One
    dealer on the west coast carries the Dutch brand Azor and the Danish
    brand Velorbis:

    http://www.dutchbikeseattle.com/html/bikes/index.html

    Quoted message said:

    Dutch bicycle distributor for the United States:

    http://www.dutchbikes.us

    When I wanted a Dutch city bike, I called every single dealer in both
    countries on my island, and only one was willing to order me a Giant
    -- at a premium over the Continental price that popped my eyes.

    Instead, I imported a Dutch Gazelle from a German dealer and for the
    same money the local dealer wanted for a low-level Giant got an elite
    limited edition Gazelle, and a few years later I imported an even more
    upmarket Trek "Smover" (automatic gearbox, electronically controlled
    active suspension, hub dynamo, stunning wheels specially designed by
    Ketih Bontrager) from a Belgian dealer. In both cases I got a good
    deal on the carriage, which would otherwise have killed the attraction
    of these bikes for me. You can read about my Dutch city bikes at
    http://members.lycos.co.uk/fiultra/BICYCLE%20%26%20CYCLING.html --
    Gazelle makes really big bikes for really big Dutchmen, bigger even
    than mine. A Gazelle is like a Rolls-Royce of bikes; they have to make
    good bikes because the Dutch are just about the rudest people in the
    world when things do not go right, and they have a very firm grasp on
    concepts like consumer rights. The thing is to go shopping on the net
    until you find someone who has an "overjarige" (Dutch for last year's
    model) bike that's being discounted, and who's willing to ship the
    bike to you. I've done this twice, as I say, and come out happy both
    times. German Ebay at ebay.de is a good place to start -- just search
    for Gazelle or Hollandrad. Bikers Store in The Netherlands for a while
    offered a package of a Gazelle utility bike and carriage to the US at
    what seemed attractive prices; I don't know if they still do; I didn't
    order a bike from them but I've bought parts and clothing from them by
    mailorder and found them efficient.

    Good luck in your search for a bike that fits.

    Andre Jute
    A little inaccuracy sometimes saves tons of explanation. --H.H.Munro
    ("Saki"😉(1870-1916)

    Visit Jute on Amps at http://members.lycos.co.uk/fiultra/
    "wonderfully well written and reasoned information
    for the tube audio constructor"
    John Broskie TubeCAD & GlassWare
    "an unbelievably comprehensive web site
    containing vital gems of wisdom"
    Stuart Perry Hi-Fi News & Record Review

  19. Per Jasper Janssen:

    Quoted message said:

    You might have at least skimmed it, even if you were too lazy to read,
    which would have prevented you from inserting your foot quite that deep in
    your mouth.

    Jasper

    That one flew right over my head. Anybody care to explain?
    --
    PeteCresswell

  20. In article <[email hidden]>, PeteCresswell

    Quoted message said:

    Per Jasper Janssen:

    Quoted message said:

    You might have at least skimmed it, even if you were too lazy to read,
    which would have prevented you from inserting your foot quite that deep in
    your mouth.

    Jasper

    That one flew right over my head. Anybody care to explain?

    If I recall, you recommended that the OP do a google search for Chalo's
    posts, when the OP's post indicated that he had already done so, and in
    fact cited a specific post.

    I think.

    Dan

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.