Bikes, rail, buses, the environment

vbagusau

Guest
Interesting conversation I had this afternoon at the launch
of the Woden Town Centre Master Plan.

The launch was attended by many v/senior ACTPLA personal,
including a leading light in the transport area. We started
to discussed the busways and light rail issue in Canberra.

Firstly it seems that the political decision not to send the
busway across the O'Connor ridge (as recommended) and
instead place it alongside Barry Drive, effectively kills
light rail in Canberra. All thanks to Save- the-Ridge and
their friends it seems.

Also mentioned was that the ACTLightrail coalition had sent
many letters to ACTPLA disputing the costing as proposed by
KBR to build light rail across Canberra (up to $1.3
billion, with the route to Gungahlin town centre alone
being $204 million). However, not one piece of verifiable
bit of evidence was given to show that the ACTLightrail
costing were accurate to convince ACTPLA that their figures
were wrong. Not two weeks ago I asked senior
representatives of ACTLightrail to place their contrary
costing on their website.

Finally, it seems that the bike lanes on Northbourne Avenue
will present a challenge to the busway to Gungahlin. A
solution could be found by placing the bike paths on the
side roads.

<[email protected]> wrote in message

> Finally, it seems that the bike lanes on Northbourne
> Avenue will present a challenge to the busway to
> Gungahlin. A solution could be found by placing the bike
> paths on the side roads.

Place bikes under buses.

Originally posted by Tezza
<[email protected]> wrote in message

> Finally, it seems that the bike lanes on Northbourne
> Avenue will present a challenge to the busway to
> Gungahlin. A solution could be found by placing the bike
> paths on the side roads.

Place bikes under buses.
[/QUOTE

Place Tezza under buses

On 12 May 2004 05:56:49 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

>Finally, it seems that the bike lanes on Northbourne Avenue
>will present a challenge to the busway to Gungahlin. A
>solution could be found by placing the bike paths on the
>side roads.

that's backwards. Northborne Ave is currently substandard
- the left lanes are only just wide enough for a bus/heavy
truck, so they have to change lanes to pass cyclists.

Hmm, move the buses to the right (of 3 lanes) - away from
bicycles. Express to Gungahlin. Shift the local busstops to
the side roads? Gunghalinites will be happy and thats all
that matters! OR find the space for a narrow (1.2m) bike
lane, so the buses can pass the bikes.

AndreS au ===> any resemblance may be purely coincidental.