Biking abroad. Bicycle bag, box, luggage question.

owendonk

Aug 1, 2007
In about a month, I'll be getting on a plane for Japan and won't be back for 8 months. I'll be living and working there and would really like to have a bike to use instead of a car. I'll most likely be in Saitama City or Utsunomiya and do not know about the prospect of getting a bicycle there. My uncle mentioned maybe bringing my bike (Bianchi Axis) with me on the plane.

My question is this: How do I go about bringing my bicycle with me? AirCanada allows me to bring a bike but I don't know where to get luggage or if doing so would justify the cost. Has anyone got any experience with this sort of thing? Any help/advice is appreciated.

owendonk said:
In about a month, I'll be getting on a plane for Japan and won't be back for 8 months. I'll be living and working there and would really like to have a bike to use instead of a car. I'll most likely be in Saitama City or Utsunomiya and do not know about the prospect of getting a bicycle there. My uncle mentioned maybe bringing my bike (Bianchi Axis) with me on the plane.

My question is this: How do I go about bringing my bicycle with me? AirCanada allows me to bring a bike but I don't know where to get luggage or if doing so would justify the cost. Has anyone got any experience with this sort of thing? Any help/advice is appreciated.
For one trip justifying a case isn't likely.
You can get a bicycle box and all the fittings from a dealer.... or just pay the dealer to properly pack the bicycle for transport via airplane. At the other end you unpack or have a local shop there do the assembly.
Cases are nice to have, but they cost and you always need to find a place to store them. Some places rent cases, so that is an option to consider.

If I were in your position, I would consider having the bike professionally packed and shipped rather than paying to take it on the plane. If you do take it on the plane, declare it as exercise equipment rather than a bicycle and it will save you a little money. I don't know why, but most airlines seem to charge a premium luggage fee for bicycles.

Either go to your shop and have them pack it in a box, or if you think you will be taking other trips while in Japan consider a floppy bike bag. If you get a nice one and pack your bike correctly they are pretty safe. That and insurance will give you peace of mind.

I agree with others that a bike hardcase is not worth the money for your bike (no insult intended) or for one trip roundtrip in the coming 8 months.