rec.sport.unicycling · Public discussion

biking vs. unicycling

Started by Unicyclist of Oz · · Last activity · 15 posts · 499 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
rec.sport.unicycling
Published
8 June 2005
Last activity
9 June 2005
Original author
Unicyclist of Oz
Posts
15
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
499
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–15 of 15
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. This question has been bugging me for a while; If you unicycle for one
    hour, would you get stronger than if you bike for one hour, or does
    biking make you stronger? I would guess unicycling because you have to
    pedal consantly. Thanks.

    --
    Unicyclist of Oz - Level 5 Unicyclist

    "-Hello. How are you?
    -No cucumber."
    --My dumb brother talking to a Subway employee
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Unicyclist of Oz's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9862
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/41046

  2. It's two different workouts. For an accurate answer, you have to define
    "stronger."

    --
    johnfoss - The wilder Wilder

    John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
    "jfoss" at "unicycling.com" -- www.unicycling.com

    "Read the rules!" -- 'IUF Rulebook'
    (http://www.unicycling.org/iuf/rulebook/) -- 'USA Rulebook'
    (http://www.unicycling.org/usa/competition/)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    johnfoss's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/832
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/41046


  3. Quoted message said:

    For an accurate answer, you have to define "stronger."

    Being able to do more squats with more weight for longer time.

    --
    Unicyclist of Oz - Level 5 Unicyclist

    "-Hello. How are you?
    -No cucumber."
    --My dumb brother talking to a Subway employee
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Unicyclist of Oz's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9862
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/41046

  4. Probably bicycling. You can gear it up and really use some muscle.
    Unicycles, however, are going to be better at developing your core
    strength and fast-twich muscles.

    --
    mscalisi - Not such a newbie anymore
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    mscalisi's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4961
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/41046

  5. My uneducated guess would be that the bike will be better for this. In
    general, a bike has longer cranks and you pedal slower. This is similar
    to the type of work involved in high-weight squats.

    Riding a unicycle is more aerobic, with your feet generally making a
    smaller circle, which means a smaller range of leg motion.

    A bike also works your upper body differently from a unicycle, though
    exactly how different depends on whether you hold a handle, handlebar,
    etc.

    --
    johnfoss - The wilder Wilder

    John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
    "jfoss" at "unicycling.com" -- www.unicycling.com

    "Read the rules!" -- 'IUF Rulebook'
    (http://www.unicycling.org/iuf/rulebook/) -- 'USA Rulebook'
    (http://www.unicycling.org/usa/competition/)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    johnfoss's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/832
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/41046

  6. I'd have to say unicycling -- specifically muni -- will make you
    stronger...per your definition. I have a reasonably extensive bicycling
    background, and when I began muni, especially as I learned uphill
    riding, my quads would get sore. Seemed weird given how much biking I
    did, but that's what happened. Now, with doing more muni, my quads
    don't hurt anymore, but my wife comments on my quads having much better
    definition. I've also noticed that on the bike, major hills are now
    easier.

    Net, I'd conclude muni strengthened my quads more than just biking. I'm
    not sure whether less intense unicycling would do the same or not.

    My $.02.

    Jerry

    --
    jpcycler - Always learning
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    jpcycler's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/936
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/41046

  7. Unicyclist of Oz said:

    *This question has been bugging me for a while; If you unicycle for
    one hour, would you get stronger than if you bike for one hour, or
    does biking make you stronger? I would guess unicycling because you
    have to pedal consantly. Thanks. *

    I would expect, given an identical course, that unicycling would build
    more muscle than bicycling. On the unicycle you are always doing more
    work; with every pedal revolution you have to correct your wobble, which
    takes muscles which never get used on the bike.

    --
    tholub - Kinetic Sculptor
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    tholub's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/804
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/41046

  8. his question was over an hour though.

    i guess an hour up hill climbs on a uni would do better than an hour of
    hill climbing on a bike, as hill climbs on a unicycle are essentially
    squats.

    i say ride uni for core strength/ab workout. and ride bike for areobic
    to keep fat down. go squats to actually gain serious strength. or at
    least the ability to do more squats.

    --
    markf - movie nerd

    stuck in iowa and unemployed.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    markf's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8102
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/41046

  9. When you bike, if your doing it right, you spin almost as fast on on a
    uni but you use you calves as well because you circle pedal and pull up.
    You can't do that on a Uni so it's pretty much pure quad, which would
    help you do squats.

    HOWEVER, making your legs pure quad is a great way to badly pull your
    hamstrings or destroy your knees.

    I'd bet idling with alternating feet would be the best thing for squats.

    --
    Seager - that one guy who does that stuff

    'Team RoadShow' (http://www.teamroadshow.com)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Seager's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8840
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/41046

  10. if your goal is to get more fit, and that's what you have in mind before
    heading out, either activity will probably be pretty equal if you go out
    and ride to specifically utilize each sports' 'toughest' parts.

    Sure climbing up a hill is a better workout than on a bike...unless you
    do 6 rotaions up the hill and UPD where the bike would continue to climb
    (exerting far more leg work for a much longer time)

    MUni'ing is too easy to get into a rythm sometimes and your heart rate
    slows right down even though your cruising speed is still quite fast. A
    bicycle's gears, while designed to help out the cyclist, can be used to
    specifically have the ability to make the cyclist wrok much harder than
    he needs to be.

    They each have their pros and cons, it's all in how you go out and ride
    them.

    --
    Brian MacKenzie - LAN Solo

    'TRAINING WHEEL NOT REQUIRED DVD - NOW AVAILABLE!'
    (HTTP://WWW.LBMMULTIMEDIA.COM)

    'ps. just watched TWNR, the UW36 on the stairs broke my brain' - markf

    'Unicycle Product Reviews'
    (http://londonunicyclingclub.ca/unicycleReviews.aspx)
    *120* reviews on *77* products, never make an uninformed purchase again!

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Brian MacKenzie's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7650
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/41046

  11. Biking definitely- you can gear yourself to the terrain, whereas a
    unicycle tends to be undergeared, and you pedal faster and shorter
    circles.

    On the other hand MUni may be more tiring than MTBking- probably has
    more to do with having no suspension and making constant adjustments to
    keep your balance in technical terrain. I've done a 12hr MTB race on
    both a unicycle and a bike- I can definitely push myself harder on a
    bike, but I feel just as hammered after doing it on a unicycle.

    --
    GizmoDuck - NZUNI

    o-kO
    'www.adventureunicyclist.com' (http://www.adventureunicyclist.com/)

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    GizmoDuck's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/794
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/41046

  12. jpcycler said:

    *I'd have to say unicycling -- specifically muni -- will make you
    stronger...per your definition. I have a reasonably extensive
    bicycling background, and when I began muni, especially as I learned
    uphill riding, my quads would get sore. Seemed weird given how much
    biking I did, but that's what happened. Now, with doing more muni, my
    quads don't hurt anymore, but my wife comments on my quads having much
    better definition. I've also noticed that on the bike, major hills
    are now easier.

    Net, I'd conclude muni strengthened my quads more than just biking.
    I'm not sure whether less intense unicycling would do the same or
    not.

    My $.02.

    Jerry *

    Unicycling uses different leg muscles than bicycling in part due to the
    different body position and pedal position. Any time you change your
    pedal position you're going to change what leg muscles you use and what
    range of motion those muscles go through.

    Make a big change in your riding position on a bike and you're going to
    get sore legs until your legs get used to the new pedaling position.
    For example change from a relaxed road bike geometry to a very upright
    and aero triathlon time trial bike and you're legs will be hating you
    until they can get used to the new position. So just because your legs
    got sore when you changed from your bike to your uni doesn't mean the
    uni was offering a better workout. It just means that you were working
    different muscles through a different range of motion. When the muscles
    get use to the new activity they won't get sore.

    I don't ride my bike much. If I go out and do something like a 40 mile
    ride on my MTB on dirt roads my legs get sore in areas that don't get
    worked the same way on a unicycle. My legs get sore because they're not
    used to the new slightly different activity, not because they're weak.

    --
    john_childs - Guinness Mojo

    john_childs (att) hotmail (dott) com
    Gallery: '' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/john_childs)
    ' Unicycling Bookmark List' (http://backcountry.unicyclist.com/) ::
    'World Clock' (http://tinyurl.com/a99y3) >>>'Click Me'
    (http://tinyurl.com/963jr)<<<
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    john_childs's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/449
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/41046

  13. Neither!

    Squatting!

    If you want to get stronger at squatting, get your butt in the weight
    room. Both can help you some, but will have little transfer.

    When I was learning to unicycle, I noticed that it hit my obliques a
    lot. Obliques are huge in squatting and that might help, just like how
    you're going to strengthen your thighs and overall leg with both, but
    that doesn't mean there will be much transfer. COMPLETELY DIFFERENT
    MOVEMENT!

    --
    Bob22b - MCL Tearer :d
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Bob22b's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8153
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/41046

  14. Seager said:

    *When you bike, if your doing it right, you spin almost as fast on on
    a uni...*


    Granted that most people pedal their bikes slower than optimum speed, I
    still pedal my unicycles a lot faster than bikes.

    I hear different numbers for optimum cadence on bkes. For recreational
    riding I think it's supposed to be something like 60-90 rpm. For racing
    it might be more like 80-120? But on a unicycle, if you're out for speed
    or training, you will basically be pedaling at the highest speed you can
    maintain for the chosen amount of time. For me, this is always faster
    than on a bike, unless I'm going up a hill or something similar.

    This is what makes the bike more efficient; the choice of gears... :p

    --
    johnfoss - The wilder Wilder

    John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
    "jfoss" at "unicycling.com" -- www.unicycling.com

    "Read the rules!" -- 'IUF Rulebook'
    (http://www.unicycling.org/iuf/rulebook/) -- 'USA Rulebook'
    (http://www.unicycling.org/usa/competition/)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    johnfoss's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/832
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/41046

  15. if someone has already said tis my bad.. but if you use tiny cranks..
    its a killer on your legs, a simple mile long ride and im pooped out
    cuase its so hard to stop with the little cranks, and i rode a bike for
    the first time in a really long time yesturday for like 6 miles.. and
    about half way through i relized i could coast... and my legs were fine
    and i had it on the lowest possible gear..

    Chase

    --
    Unitik908 - The Lone Clothespin....

    All hail the exhaulted Sigpoose, for he is forever king...
    R.I.P Unibiker
    R.I.P Gazzaloddi
    R.I.P Paul Hester
    R.I.P Mitch Hedberg
    R.I.P Pope John Paul II
    R.I.P James_Potters_Cat
    YAMS
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Unitik908's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8690
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/41046

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.