Road Cycling · Public discussion

Bit Torrent and T. de F?

Started by S · · Last activity · 13 posts · 1,025 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
4 July 2004
Last activity
10 July 2004
Original author
S
Posts
13
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,025
Views / 30 days
5

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–13 of 13
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hello All,

    Is any public-spirited person recording daily Tour de France
    programmes (ideally with Liggett/Sherwen commentary) and
    then seeding them as video files available through Bit
    Torrent? I've looked at sites like torrents.co.uk and under
    "Sport" on suprnova.orgsuprnova.org and haven't been able to
    find anything.

    Best regards, and thanks for any pointers,

    Steve Pells Edinburgh, UK

  2. s said:

    Is any public-spirited person recording daily Tour de
    France programmes (ideally with Liggett/Sherwen
    commentary) and then seeding them as video files available
    through Bit Torrent? I've looked at sites like
    torrents.co.uk and under "Sport" on
    suprnova.orgsuprnova.org and haven't been able to find
    anything.

    Best regards, and thanks for any pointers

    I see a bunch of tour de france stuff in newsgroups.

    --
    7/4/2004
    8:52 PM [GMT-8]

  3. s said:

    Hello All,

    Is any public-spirited person recording daily Tour de
    France programmes (ideally with Liggett/Sherwen
    commentary) and then seeding them as video files available
    through Bit Torrent? I've looked at sites like
    torrents.co.uk and under "Sport" on
    suprnova.orgsuprnova.org and haven't been able to find
    anything.

    Best regards, and thanks for any pointers,

    Steve Pells Edinburgh, UK


    Let's see. Record TDF stage to Mpeg 2 using Tivo equipment.
    About a 3 hour program. That's about a 3 gig file. Uploading
    such a huge file would take a lot of time and then to have
    it spread all through the P2P networks so as to gather
    enough sources for common folks like me to download, at a
    decent speed, well by my calculations I'd still be
    downloading this TDF when the next TDF comes around. I must
    say I'm hard up to watch the TDF on the tube but I'm not
    that hard up. I'd be willing to pay 10 bucks to watch a
    video web cast of the TDF that has a constant stream of at
    least 300k. Who knows maybe next year.

    Kenny Lee

  4. Kenny Lee said:

    Let's see. Record TDF stage to Mpeg 2 using Tivo
    equipment. About a 3 hour program. That's about a 3 gig
    file. Uploading such a huge file would take a lot of
    time and then to have it spread all through the P2P
    networks so as to gather enough sources for common folks
    like me to download, at a decent speed, well by my
    calculations I'd still be downloading this TDF when the
    next TDF comes around. I must say I'm hard up to watch
    the TDF on the tube but I'm not that hard up. I'd be
    willing to pay 10 bucks to watch a video web cast of the
    TDF that has a constant stream of at least 300k. Who
    knows maybe next year.

    Yes, I calculated (for the benefit of someone who asked
    about the DVD recordings I was making) that it would require
    a minimum of around 57 individual 4,7Gb DVD-Rs to capture
    this year's Eurosport coverage of le Tour, and quite
    possibly more than 60. Shipping that volume of data across
    the net is not really feasible, never mind the very real
    issues of copright violation ...

    Philip Taylor

  5. Philip TAYLOR PC87S/O-XP said:
    Quoted message said:

    Let's see. Record TDF stage to Mpeg 2 using Tivo
    equipment. About a 3 hour program. That's about a 3 gig
    file. Uploading such a huge file would take a lot of
    time and then to have it spread all through the P2P
    networks so as to gather enough sources for common folks
    like me to download, at a decent speed, well by my
    calculations I'd still be downloading this TDF when the
    next TDF comes around. I must say I'm hard up to watch
    the TDF on the tube but I'm not that hard up. I'd be
    willing to pay 10 bucks to watch a video web cast of the
    TDF that has a constant stream of at least 300k. Who
    knows maybe next year.

    Yes, I calculated (for the benefit of someone who asked
    about the DVD recordings I was making) that it would
    require a minimum of around 57 individual 4,7Gb DVD-Rs to
    capture this year's Eurosport coverage of le Tour, and
    quite possibly more than 60. Shipping that volume of data
    across the net is not really feasible, never mind the very
    real issues of copright violation ...

    What he's asking about is entirely practical, it's already
    being done for lots of TV broadcast stuff.

    There is no need for DVD quality when watching this kind of
    coverage, with divX and similar encoding methods the file
    sizes are perfectly manageable.

    You can currently download all sorts of TV programs, both
    the very latest new stuff (such as american shows not yet
    aired in UK) and vintage stuff too. P2P networks like Bit
    Torrent and, my personal preference, usenet binary groups
    work very well.

    Granted, the Tour would mean several hours coverage a day so
    it would be fairly demanding, but nothing spectacularly
    outrageous.

    For people who choose this method of delivery it's perfectly
    common to download several gigs of data a day. *shrug*
    --

    "Bob"

    'The people have spoken, the [censored]'

    Email address is spam trapped. To reply directly remove
    the beverage.

  6. I've recorded the past few TdFs to digital tape, editing out
    the commercials.

    This year, I'm thinking of going straight to DVD and
    skipping the digital tape. Right now, I have stages 1 & 2 on
    my HDD taking up 65 gigs in DV format. I'm encoding stage 1
    to MPEG2 right now to fit on a single DVD-R. It should take
    about 15 hours.

    I download DVDs all the time. It's not a big deal if you
    have cable modem.

    Kenny Lee said:

    Let's see. Record TDF stage to Mpeg 2 using Tivo equipment.
    About a 3 hour program. That's about a 3 gig file.
    Uploading such a huge file would take a lot of time and
    then to have it spread all through the P2P networks so as
    to gather enough sources for common folks like me to
    download, at a decent speed, well by my calculations I'd
    still be downloading this TDF when the next TDF comes
    around. I must say I'm hard up to watch the TDF on the tube
    but I'm not that hard up. I'd be willing to pay 10 bucks to
    watch a video web cast of the TDF that has a constant
    stream of at least 300k. Who knows maybe next year.

    Kenny Lee

  7. "Philip TAYLOR [PC87S/O-XP]" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Kenny Lee said:

    Let's see. Record TDF stage to Mpeg 2 using Tivo
    equipment. About a 3 hour program. That's about a 3 gig
    file. Uploading such a huge file would take a lot of
    time and then to have it spread all through the P2P
    networks so as to gather enough sources for common folks
    like me to download, at a decent speed, well by my
    calculations I'd still be downloading this TDF when the
    next TDF comes around. I must say I'm hard up to watch
    the TDF on the tube but I'm not that hard up. I'd be
    willing to pay 10 bucks to watch a video web cast of the
    TDF that has a constant stream of at least 300k. Who
    knows maybe next year.

    Yes, I calculated (for the benefit of someone who asked
    about the DVD recordings I was making) that it would
    require a minimum of around 57 individual 4,7Gb DVD-Rs to
    capture this year's Eurosport coverage of le Tour, and
    quite possibly more than 60. Shipping that volume of data
    across the net is not really feasible, never mind the very
    real issues of copright violation ...


    I don't see why people think I'm mad. (On this topic, at
    least). Every Euro '04 game for example was made available
    the day it was broadcast. A football match is upwards of 90
    minutes; the files are about a CD in size (~700 MB). How
    long are ITV2's programmes, about an hour? Over a broadband
    connection a reasonably-popular TV programme file of this
    size downloads in a few hours-it's finished before you get
    up in the morning.

    Odd that cyclists, so many of whom seem to pride themselves
    on their technical expertise, find a project beyond them
    that a bunch of lagered-up soccer fans have no trouble with.
    Perhaps I should have posted on rec.bicycles.tech.

    Oh well, maybe next year.

    Steve

    Steve Pells, Edinburgh, UK

  8. Try searching on SuprNova again. Stage 3 and 4 were seeded.

    "s" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    "Philip TAYLOR [PC87S/O-XP]" <[email hidden]> wrote
    in message -"]news:[email hidden]-
    anews.com...

    Quoted message said:
    Kenny Lee said:

    Let's see. Record TDF stage to Mpeg 2 using Tivo
    equipment. About a 3 hour program. That's about a 3
    gig file. Uploading such a huge file would take a lot
    of time and then to have it spread all through the P2P
    networks so as to gather enough sources for common
    folks like me to download, at a decent speed, well by
    my calculations I'd still be downloading this TDF when
    the next TDF comes around. I must say I'm hard up to
    watch the TDF on the tube but I'm not that hard up.
    I'd be willing to pay 10 bucks to watch a video web
    cast of the TDF that has a constant stream of at least
    300k. Who knows maybe next year.

    Yes, I calculated (for the benefit of someone who asked
    about the DVD recordings I was making) that it would
    require a minimum of around 57 individual 4,7Gb DVD-Rs
    to capture this year's Eurosport coverage of le Tour,
    and quite possibly more than 60. Shipping that volume of
    data across the net is not really feasible, never mind
    the very real issues of copright violation ...


    I don't see why people think I'm mad. (On this topic, at
    least). Every Euro '04 game for example was made available
    the day it was broadcast. A football match is upwards of
    90 minutes; the files are about a CD in size (~700 MB).
    How long are ITV2's programmes, about an hour? Over a
    broadband connection a reasonably-popular TV programme
    file of this size downloads in a few hours-it's finished
    before you get up in the morning.

    Odd that cyclists, so many of whom seem to pride
    themselves on their technical expertise, find a project
    beyond them that a bunch of lagered-up soccer fans have no
    trouble with. Perhaps I should have posted on
    rec.bicycles.tech.

    Oh well, maybe next year.

    Steve

    Steve Pells, Edinburgh, UK

  9. Yes!

    And stage 5 has been seeded as well...

    Many thanks to those seeding files!

    Cheers

    Steve

    "Ken" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Try searching on SuprNova again. Stage 3 and 4 were
    seeded.

    "s" <[email hidden]> wrote in message


    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    "Philip TAYLOR [PC87S/O-XP]" <[email hidden]> wrote
    in message -"]news:[email hidden]-
    eranews.com...

    Quoted message said:

    Kenny Lee wrote:

    > Let's see. Record TDF stage to Mpeg 2 using Tivo
    > equipment. About a


    3

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > hour program. That's about a 3 gig file. Uploading
    > such a huge file would take a lot of time and then
    > to have it spread all through the


    P2P

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > networks so as to gather enough sources for common
    > folks like me to download, at a decent speed, well
    > by my calculations I'd still be downloading this TDF
    > when the next TDF comes around. I must say I'm


    hard

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > up to watch the TDF on the tube but I'm not that
    > hard up. I'd be


    willing

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > to pay 10 bucks to watch a video web cast of the TDF
    > that has a


    constant

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > stream of at least 300k. Who knows maybe next year.

    Yes, I calculated (for the benefit of someone who
    asked about the DVD recordings I was making) that it
    would require a minimum of around 57 individual 4,7Gb
    DVD-Rs to capture this year's Eurosport coverage of
    le Tour, and quite possibly more than 60. Shipping
    that volume of data across the net is not really
    feasible, never mind the very real issues of copright
    violation ...


    I don't see why people think I'm mad. (On this topic, at
    least). Every


    Euro

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    '04 game for example was made available the day it was
    broadcast. A


    football

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    match is upwards of 90 minutes; the files are about a CD
    in size (~700


    MB).

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    How long are ITV2's programmes, about an hour? Over a
    broadband


    connection a

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    reasonably-popular TV programme file of this size
    downloads in a few hours-it's finished before you get up
    in the morning.

    Odd that cyclists, so many of whom seem to pride
    themselves on their technical expertise, find a project
    beyond them that a bunch of lagered-up soccer fans have
    no trouble with. Perhaps I should have posted on
    rec.bicycles.tech.

    Oh well, maybe next year.

    Steve

    Steve Pells, Edinburgh, UK

  10. Quoted message said:

    And stage 5 has been seeded as well...

    Many thanks to those seeding files!

    Cheers

    Steve

    Could someone post a quick note on how to view the torrent?
    I'm running Mac OSX. Seems you need a separate app but can't
    find any info on the Suprnova site.

    Thanks, Jeff

  11. (Jeff) said:

    Could someone post a quick note on how to view the torrent?
    I'm running Mac OSX. Seems you need a separate app but
    can't find any info on the Suprnova site.

    You don't "view" a torrent, you download it. Bit Torrent is
    a peer 2 peer type network, you'll need a bt client to
    access it. You can then search for what you want, download
    and watch/listen/play whatever.

    There are many clients available (google is your friend) but
    Azureus is popular. It seems they also do an OS X version,
    which I think is you Mac lot?

    azureus.sourceforge.netazureus.sourceforge.net
    --

    "Bob"

    'The people have spoken, the [censored]'

    Email address is spam trapped. To reply directly remove
    the beverage.

  12. Call me Bob <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    On 9 Jul 2004 07:55:57 -0700, [email hidden]

    (Jeff) said:

    Could someone post a quick note on how to view the
    torrent? I'm running Mac OSX. Seems you need a separate
    app but can't find any info on the Suprnova site.

    You don't "view" a torrent, you download it. Bit Torrent
    is a peer 2 peer type network, you'll need a bt client to
    access it. You can then search for what you want, download
    and watch/listen/play whatever.

    There are many clients available (google is your friend)
    but Azureus is popular. It seems they also do an OS X
    version, which I think is you Mac lot?

    azureus.sourceforge.netazureus.sourceforge.net

    Really weird geeky stuff, BETTER answered in the dweeb
    forums, not RBR:

    "BitTorrent is a noncommercial protocol for sharing large
    files and filesets. It's super easy to use.
    BitTorrentDownloads are started just by clicking on small
    .torrent files or hyperlinks. Downloaders get pieces of the
    fileset from the original server, and from anyone else who
    is downloading. The more people there are downloading the
    same thing, the lower the burden on the central server, and
    the faster everyone's downloads get, due to sharing with
    each other. The more, the merrier!"

    Later, Ken (not really a l33t haxxor)

    More, "Below is a list of common file types you will
    encounter with BitTorrent, and how to handle them. Please be
    aware that the best way to identify file types is by their
    extension. For example, a file named ReallyCoolStuff.zip
    ends in .zip which is a clue that you should open the
    program in WinZip, or something equivalent."

  13. In article <[email hidden]>, Jeff

    Quoted message said:

    Could someone post a quick note on how to view the
    torrent? I'm running Mac OSX. Seems you need a separate
    app but can't find any info on the Suprnova site.

    To find almost any Mac app, go to versiontracker and use
    the search.

    versiontracker.commacosx

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.