What is it with colleagues who take great delight in spotting a dark cloud when it's knocking off time? The other afternoon at 1500 I'd got all togged up to ride the 12 miles home when my senior line manager saw a black cloud in the south western sky and took great glee in telling me that I was going to get wet on the way home. I chuckled and told him that I'd seen off December, January and February, so I'm not likely to be scared of a black cloud in March, am I?
Indeed, as I went north out of our works and prepared to turn 90 degrees into the westerly wind for the rest of the ride, I looked up at the slate grey sky in front of me with contempt and laughed at it :-)
"Simon Mason" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:
What is it with colleagues who take great delight in spotting a dark cloud when it's knocking off time? The other afternoon at 1500 I'd got all togged up to ride the 12 miles home when my senior line manager saw a black cloud in the south western sky and took great glee in telling me that I was going to get wet on the way home. I chuckled and told him that I'd seen off December, January and February, so I'm not likely to be scared of a black cloud in March, am I?
Indeed, as I went north out of our works and prepared to turn 90 degrees into the westerly wind for the rest of the ride, I looked up at the slate grey sky in front of me with contempt and laughed at it :-)
Simon Mason Hull
The usual reaction at my place of work is a strange look and a cry of "you must be mad", when I cycle in in all weather, especially the winter.
"Simon Mason" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:
What is it with colleagues who take great delight in spotting a dark cloud when it's knocking off time?
Dunno but I've just come back from a wet ride and not only am I still alive but am in better nick than younger colleagues who think the "Rest Of The World" is contained in the goggle box in their living room. -- Regards, Pete
"Simon Mason" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:
What is it with colleagues who take great delight in spotting a dark cloud when it's knocking off time?
Another thing that amuses me is colleguaes reactions to winter cycling they treat it some kind of mad crazy thing to do whearas for me its the a perfectly normal thing , they dont realise what they are missing cycling 9 miles at 04.30 am on a cold frosty Scottish winter morning.
On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 14:31:25 -0000, "Ross" <[email hidden]>
Quoted message said:
Another thing that amuses me is colleguaes reactions to winter cycling they treat it some kind of mad crazy thing to do whearas for me its the a perfectly normal thing , they dont realise what they are missing cycling 9 miles at 04.30 am on a cold frosty Scottish winter morning.
Of course 50 and 60 years ago it was a perfectly normal thing.
-- Dave...
Get a bicycle. You will not regret it. If you live. - Mark Twain
"Simon Mason" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:
What is it with colleagues who take great delight in spotting a dark cloud when it's knocking off time? The other afternoon at 1500 I'd got all togged up to ride the 12 miles home when my senior line manager saw a black cloud in the south western sky and took great glee in telling me that I was going to get wet on the way home. I chuckled and told him that I'd seen off December, January and February, so I'm not likely to be scared of a black cloud in March, am I?
Indeed, as I went north out of our works and prepared to turn 90 degrees into the westerly wind for the rest of the ride, I looked up at the slate grey sky in front of me with contempt and laughed at it :-)
You tell them, Simon. I just got back from a seven mile ride, half of which was done against 15mph rainy headwinds. Very edifying for the soul, and most upbuilding for one's mental and physical discipline.
To your manager, I can only say "Forgive him, for he knows not what he is missing". -- Akin
On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 21:49:45 -0000, in <[email hidden]>, "Adrian Boliston"
Quoted message said:
"Ross" <[email hidden]> wrote in message -"]news:[email hidden]- berlin.de...
Quoted message said:
Another thing that amuses me is colleguaes reactions to winter cycling
they
Quoted message said:
treat it some kind of mad crazy thing to do whearas for me its the a perfectly normal thing , they dont realise what they are missing cycling
9
Quoted message said:
miles at 04.30 am on a cold frosty Scottish winter morning.
At least you don't need to waste 10 minutes scraping the ice of a bike on a frosty morning.
Sometimes my gear cables freeze up, which is a bit of a bugger if you left your bike in the big sprocket. -- DISCLAIMER: My email box is private property.Email which appears in my inbox is mine to do what I like with. Anything which is sent to me (whether intended or not) may, if I so desire, form a legal and binding contract.
Originally posted by Simon Mason What is it with colleagues who take great delight in spotting a dark cloud when it's knocking off time? The other afternoon at 1500 I'd got all togged up to ride the 12 miles home when my senior line manager saw a black cloud in the south western sky and took great glee in telling me that I was going to get wet on the way home. I chuckled and told him that I'd seen off December, January and February, so I'm not likely to be scared of a black cloud in March, am I?
Indeed, as I went north out of our works and prepared to turn 90 degrees into the westerly wind for the rest of the ride, I looked up at the slate grey sky in front of me with contempt and laughed at it :-) Simon Mason Hull
First off, congrats on living in Hull and riding a bike. I read that Hull is the fattest place in Britain at the moment. Perhaps you ought to remind your bosses of this fact the next time they quail at the thought of (a) cycling and (b) getting wet whilst doing so.
Second, cycling in inclement weather is excellent! I think that cycling during the "winter months" is brilliant and have a bike set up for just that. I reckon there are plenty of fair-weather weenies who would rather bloat in bed than bash out some miles when it's windy, cold and raining.
Third, as my dad always says, coming home near freezing with no sensation in your feet, backside and hands is "character building" 😄
"McBain_v1" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:vgg5c.65238
Quoted message said:
First off, congrats on living in Hull and riding a bike. I read that Hull is the fattest place in Britain at the moment. Perhaps you ought to remind your bosses of this fact the next time they quail at the thought of (a) cycling and (b) getting wet whilst doing so.
It's also the third cycling city after Cambridge and Oxford. The obesity thing is questionable anyway. The data used were Type 2 diabetes occurrences which are not always related to obesity. The main problem with Hull is that it's had a long tradition of eating fish and chips, which isn't too bad if you've a manual job and bike to work. It's when you keep eating the fatty foods but now no longer go to sea hauling nets for 3 weeks, but sit at a desk all day and slob in front of the telly watching East Enders every night.