black shoes white socks

alkaline

Jun 6, 2013
I am sure it is not just me black shoes with white socks did not look good when I was at school in the 80s, and it still does'nt now. The same applies to black socks. Black socks are for working in the civil service 9 - 5. Now this brings me on to my next subject,cycling is still a minority sport in the u.k , and is it any wonder when you lookat the well known riders- we have Brad( a stick thin bloke ) Chris froome(ditto) and Mark Cavendish( a small chubby bloke who can't speak very well). Watching the races from the continent the riders look pretty cool. Well Ive gotthat outof my system black shoes and socks + lycra shorts = goon. End.

I watch pros for the performance aspect of the race. The fashion aspects aren't one of my concerns. I've got black socks, black and red socks, grey and yellow socks, blue and red, and many others including white. Some of the socks barely rise above my shoe and some are 3/4 length, even some of the black ones. I've noticed no difference in my performance with changes in socks. I also don't tend to look at my socks while riding. I also don't care much about what socks or even what kit other riders wear. I figure there are better things to think about. Feel free however to be concerned about such minutia.

Agreed. there's already too much focus on the kit and fashion show.

What's ironic is that for many years in this country the USCF rules required white socks or no socks at all and that was during a time when most road cycling shoes were black. IOW, black shoes and white (or no) socks was a requirement of the rules. I'm not familiar with the UCI rules of that era but I suspect they were similar. So black shoes with white socks is very traditional in cycling, clearly everyone doesn't like it but it's not like a major fashion faux pas.

Cav is one of my favorite riders, but only when he's wearing black shoes and white socks.

Originally Posted by daveryanwyoming .

Two words - rapha kit

Originally Posted by alienator .

Yes, Rapha does make bike kit.
.... and a deep history of making the best looking kit money can buy.

Originally Posted by alienator .

Based on what?
where do I start; their retro style, huge following among so many good cyclists, awesome designs, sponsor the best pro team. If there's a brand in the cycling industry that sums up what cycling is for many people, rapha would be it. rapha simply ouses awesomeness.

ambal said:
where do I start; their retro style, huge following among so many good cyclists, awesome designs, sponsor the best pro team. If there's a brand in the cycling industry that sums up what cycling is for many people, rapha would be it. rapha simply ouses awesomeness.
If you say so. For the price of Rapha products, I think much better can be had.

Originally Posted by daveryanwyoming .

What's ironic is that for many years in this country the USCF rules required white socks or no socks at all and that was during a time when most road cycling shoes were black. IOW, black shoes and white (or no) socks was a requirement of the rules. I'm not familiar with the UCI rules of that era but I suspect they were similar. So black shoes with white socks is very traditional in cycling, clearly everyone doesn't like it but it's not like a major fashion faux pas.
neither here nor there to the issue, but amusing none the less. in a documentary about coppi, when he was first brought aboard to ride with/for bartali, the first thing the team veterans did was make coppi lose the black socks for white ones. seems the lower rank riders wore black because they wouldn't have to wash them as often, but being in the top ranks of cycling white was the choice as others were available to make sure the kit was clean and presentable.

slovakguy said:
neither here nor there to the issue, but amusing none the less.  in a documentary about coppi, when he was first brought aboard to ride with/for bartali, the first thing the team veterans did was make coppi lose the black socks for white ones.  seems the lower rank riders wore black because they wouldn't have to wash them as often, but being in the top ranks of cycling white was the choice as others were available to make sure the kit was clean and presentable.
Well, what they needed was...
image002.jpg

If there's one thing about cycling I've always liked it's having a kit that matches those from the European teams. There is absolutely nothing that brings attention to you as an ONCE jersey and yellow socks. Car drivers can spot you from a half mile away which greatly increases your road safety. Euskatel-Euskati or Rabobank and orange socks on my matching C40.. Areostea-Ceramica with red socks and riding my bright red Masi with yellow trim and a yellow helmet. Red and white Gaeta jersey with red and white helmet and sox on my Eddy Merckx. Red, white and blue jersey and shorts on my Look Tour Replica.

I wave to every passing cyclist even old hobos. As groups of cyclists pass by and I wave you can feel the growing passion for a sport that will allow you to live longer in far better physical condition than any other manner. There really is a brotherhood of the wheel. Join it.

If you want to look dull, uninteresting and invisible that's your business.

Originally Posted by cyclintom .... There is absolutely nothing that brings attention to you as an ONCE jersey and yellow socks. ..
I know what you mean. A local guy, Fredrick always shows up in full pro kit including matching socks, gloves, and helmet. He must have a whole wardrobe full of pro kits and quite a laundry program to make sure he can always match up the accessories. It's gotten to the point that when we see a guy riding along in full kit for a team he's never ridden for people comment on what a Fred he is.

Personally I don't have that kind of cash to put into team logo kits and make do with functional cycling wear and the kit issued by the team I actually ride for. Boring for sure and maybe someday I can dress up in a Europro kit and folks can point out how Fredly I am.

I don't mind small logos and such, but I have no need for gear with big ol' brand names emblazoned. They aren't paying me to wear/ride their stuff, so I don't need to advertise for them. Simple, solid colors work for me--after I know the item meets a functional need.

I'm more of a white sock + white shoe type of rider, I also have perfect sock hight /img/vbsmilies/smilies/ROTF.gif

Originally Posted by baker3 .

I'm more of a white sock + white shoe type of rider, I also have perfect sock hight /img/vbsmilies/smilies/ROTF.gif
And how high might that be?

I just wish someone would make a good wool jersey, single color, with banded (preferably ribbed) sleeves and collar. I cried when I wore out my last Weyless jersey from around 1979.

Beautiful. I've looked at the stuff from SmartWool and Icebreaker, but it just doesn't cut it like this. Thanks, man.

I know what I'm getting for Christmas.