Black Spots in Bacon (Is it Safe?)

My wife and I bought a package of bacon from the supermarket, and when
we opened the package, the ends of the bacon (in part of the fat) had
black spots/lines going through it. Does anyone know what this could
be? We removed (generously) the parts with the spots, and started
cooking the rest (we haven't eaten it, though). Does anyone know what
these spots could be?

You can e-mail me at [email protected] if you know. Your help
would be greatly appreciated.

Also, if there are any questions to clarify matters, I will be glad to
answer them. Thanks.

-Jacob

On 27 Apr 2006 17:46:37 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

> My wife and I bought a package of bacon from the supermarket, and when
> we opened the package, the ends of the bacon (in part of the fat) had
> black spots/lines going through it.

Arsenic poisoning will do that.

> You can e-mail me at [email protected] if you know. Your help
> would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Also, if there are any questions to clarify matters, I will be glad to
> answer them. Thanks.

$3.00 for some bacon, what do *you* think you should do? If you
want an email response, it will cost $3.25.

-sw

[email protected] wrote:
> My wife and I bought a package of bacon from the supermarket, and when
> we opened the package, the ends of the bacon (in part of the fat) had
> black spots/lines going through it. Does anyone know what this could
> be? We removed (generously) the parts with the spots, and started
> cooking the rest (we haven't eaten it, though). Does anyone know what
> these spots could be?
>
> You can e-mail me at [email protected] if you know. Your help
> would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Also, if there are any questions to clarify matters, I will be glad to
> answer them. Thanks.
>
> -Jacob

Could it be black pepper? I've seen what you describe on some bacon
that has been cured with pepper on the rind (edges).

gloria p

"Steve Wertz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On 27 Apr 2006 17:46:37 -0700, [email protected] wrote:
>
>> My wife and I bought a package of bacon from the supermarket, and when
>> we opened the package, the ends of the bacon (in part of the fat) had
>> black spots/lines going through it.

> Arsenic poisoning will do that.
>
>> You can e-mail me at [email protected] if you know. Your help
>> would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>> Also, if there are any questions to clarify matters, I will be glad to
>> answer them. Thanks.

> $3.00 for some bacon, what do *you* think you should do? If you
> want an email response, it will cost $3.25.
>
> -sw

Do you know what a trip to the ER costs in time, money, worry, health? If
it doesn't show those little black lines/spots on the image on the package,
dump it. Try shopping for bacon at a different market.
Dee Dee

On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 23:08:07 -0400, Dee Randall wrote:

> "Steve Wertz" <[email protected]> wrote:

>> $3.00 for some bacon, what do *you* think you should do? If you
>> want an email response, it will cost $3.25.

> Do you know what a trip to the ER costs in time, money, worry, health? If
> it doesn't show those little black lines/spots on the image on the package,
> dump it. Try shopping for bacon at a different market.

I return anything I'm worried about. My grocery store takes back
everything. Even if I don't like it (but I don't usually retunbr
stuff just because I didn't like it - unless it atrocious. I'm
not a picky eater).

-sw

Mark Thorson wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
>> Does anyone know what
>> these spots could be?

> Vegetable dye from the USDA inspection stamp?

I see that on my lamb all the time.

Mark Thorson wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
>> Does anyone know what
>> these spots could be?

> Vegetable dye from the USDA inspection stamp?

The dye to stamp meat is usually blue. I'd be suspicious of black streaks.

<for the same reason they don't stamp it with green, I guess>

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> My wife and I bought a package of bacon from the supermarket, and when
> we opened the package, the ends of the bacon (in part of the fat) had
> black spots/lines going through it. Does anyone know what this could
> be? We removed (generously) the parts with the spots, and started
> cooking the rest (we haven't eaten it, though). Does anyone know what
> these spots could be?
>
> You can e-mail me at [email protected] if you know. Your help
> would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Also, if there are any questions to clarify matters, I will be glad to
> answer them. Thanks.
>
> -Jacob

According to Long John Silver the Black Spot is most hazardous.

David