Mountain Bikes · Public discussion

Bleedin' lights :-( Cateye HL-RC230

Started by Fred Fragger · · Last activity · 5 posts · 1,074 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Mountain Bikes
Published
29 September 2004
Last activity
2 October 2004
Original author
Fred Fragger
Posts
5
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,074
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–5 of 5
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Any RC230 owners out there who can give me some advice?

    I recently got my lights out of storage but the first two night rides were
    blighted when the lights failed much earlier than usual (in the woods and it
    was dark mummy!). Tonight I got changed, got the bike out, fitted the lights
    (battery having been recharged for exactly the recommended time) only to
    realise as soon as I turned them on that I wouldn't be going out. The lights
    were weak and became too dim to use after 10 minutes.

    Bugger, I only agreed to a steaming great pile of fish and chips tonight
    because I knew I could ride the calories off later!

    I bought the lights last winter and I know they're at the budget end of the
    market with an SLA battery but they worked well enough for quite a few
    rides. The lights have 2 x 10W lamps and if I don't use one of the pair for
    half the ride (about 12 miles / 1 hour) they usually easily last for the
    whole ride. Part of my night route is on roads with street-lights so one
    lamp is fine for those sections.

    During the summer I discharged the lights a couple of times (not completely)
    and recharged the battery per the instructions (the charger is not a "smart"
    charger) so I think I've treated the kit well.

    So, I don't really want to spend loads of cash on new lights - are there any
    replacement batteries / chargers out there worth looking at? Will the
    battery "recover" after a few recharging cycles?

    Later

    Fred

    Sitting at the pooter in his lycra when he'd rather be riding :-(

  2. "Fred Fragger" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Any RC230 owners out there who can give me some advice?

    I recently got my lights out of storage but the first two night rides were
    blighted when the lights failed much earlier than usual (in the woods and
    it was dark mummy!). Tonight I got changed, got the bike out, fitted the
    lights (battery having been recharged for exactly the recommended time)
    only to realise as soon as I turned them on that I wouldn't be going out.
    The lights were weak and became too dim to use after 10 minutes.

    Bugger, I only agreed to a steaming great pile of fish and chips tonight
    because I knew I could ride the calories off later!

    I bought the lights last winter and I know they're at the budget end of
    the market with an SLA battery but they worked well enough for quite a few
    rides. The lights have 2 x 10W lamps and if I don't use one of the pair
    for half the ride (about 12 miles / 1 hour) they usually easily last for
    the whole ride. Part of my night route is on roads with street-lights so
    one lamp is fine for those sections.

    During the summer I discharged the lights a couple of times (not
    completely) and recharged the battery per the instructions (the charger is
    not a "smart" charger) so I think I've treated the kit well.

    So, I don't really want to spend loads of cash on new lights - are there
    any replacement batteries / chargers out there worth looking at? Will the
    battery "recover" after a few recharging cycles?

    Later

    Fred

    Sitting at the pooter in his lycra when he'd rather be riding :-(

    I had a similar problem - the battery went dead after it's first year and
    had to be replaced.
    I don't know if it's because I didn't follow the instructions correctly or
    not (I thought I had).
    There seems to be some very strict guidelines to recharging of those
    batteries.
    You can actually unscrew the screws on the battery case and buy a non-cateye
    lead actetate battery to replace it - that worked out cheaper for me.

    I've now ditched the lights for the Cateye EL400 as I don't need all that
    power or weight or hassle to recharge - I just cycle about town.

  3. Fred Fragger said:

    Any RC230 owners out there who can give me some advice?

    I recently got my lights out of storage but the first two night rides
    were blighted when the lights failed much earlier than usual (in the
    woods and it was dark mummy!). Tonight I got changed, got the bike
    out, fitted the lights (battery having been recharged for exactly the
    recommended time) only to realise as soon as I turned them on that I
    wouldn't be going out. The lights were weak and became too dim to use
    after 10 minutes.

    Bugger, I only agreed to a steaming great pile of fish and chips
    tonight because I knew I could ride the calories off later!

    I bought the lights last winter and I know they're at the budget end
    of the market with an SLA battery but they worked well enough for
    quite a few rides. The lights have 2 x 10W lamps and if I don't use
    one of the pair for half the ride (about 12 miles / 1 hour) they
    usually easily last for the whole ride. Part of my night route is on
    roads with street-lights so one lamp is fine for those sections.

    During the summer I discharged the lights a couple of times (not
    completely) and recharged the battery per the instructions (the
    charger is not a "smart" charger) so I think I've treated the kit
    well.

    So, I don't really want to spend loads of cash on new lights - are
    there any replacement batteries / chargers out there worth looking
    at? Will the battery "recover" after a few recharging cycles?

    AFAIK, SLAs are like car batteries. Once they're dead, they're dead. Plates
    sulphate and things.

    If I were you, I'd unscrew the battery casing, get down to your local RC
    model shop / electronics supplier, and make up a NiMH battery that'll fit in
    the old casing. Get a suitable charger whilst you're at it, and you'll have
    batteries that last longer, and can be recharged *very* quickly. And be
    lighter too.

  4. "Chris Phillipo" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, [email hidden]
    says...

    Quoted message said:

    Subject: Bleedin' lights :-( Cateye HL-RC230
    From: "Fred Fragger" <[email hidden]>
    Newsgroups: alt.mountain-bike

    Any RC230 owners out there who can give me some advice?

    I recently got my lights out of storage but the first two night rides
    were
    blighted when the lights failed much earlier than usual (in the woods and
    it
    was dark mummy!). Tonight I got changed, got the bike out, fitted the
    lights
    (battery having been recharged for exactly the recommended time) only to
    realise as soon as I turned them on that I wouldn't be going out. The
    lights
    were weak and became too dim to use after 10 minutes.

    Bugger, I only agreed to a steaming great pile of fish and chips tonight
    because I knew I could ride the calories off later!

    I bought the lights last winter and I know they're at the budget end of
    the
    market with an SLA battery but they worked well enough for quite a few
    rides. The lights have 2 x 10W lamps and if I don't use one of the pair
    for
    half the ride (about 12 miles / 1 hour) they usually easily last for the
    whole ride. Part of my night route is on roads with street-lights so one
    lamp is fine for those sections.

    During the summer I discharged the lights a couple of times (not
    completely)
    and recharged the battery per the instructions (the charger is not a
    "smart"
    charger) so I think I've treated the kit well.

    So, I don't really want to spend loads of cash on new lights - are there
    any
    replacement batteries / chargers out there worth looking at? Will the
    battery "recover" after a few recharging cycles?

    Later

    Fred

    Sitting at the pooter in his lycra when he'd rather be riding :-(

    When you store lights you should charge the battery fully and again
    every 6 months if you don't use them. So if you put it away half dead
    it probably will never be the same. You can rebuild your battery with
    new cell(s) relatively cheaply. While your at it you might even be able
    to get cells with more capacity that are the same physical size.
    --
    _________________________
    Chris Phillipo - Cape Breton, Nova Scotia
    http://www.ramsays-online.com

    Thanks for the replies chaps

    I've been considering buying this battery as an alternative, looks like I'd
    get about 2.5 hrs with 2 x 10W which would be nice but it's a bit on the
    expensive side - especially as I'd have to buy a charger as well.

    http://www.therush.uk.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=293&osCsid=de746749eb537871d2d13cd097dd6302

    There is a model shop in town so perhaps I'll go and see them first.

    Later

    Fred

  5. Fred Fragger said:

    Thanks for the replies chaps

    I've been considering buying this battery as an alternative, looks
    like I'd get about 2.5 hrs with 2 x 10W which would be nice but it's
    a bit on the expensive side - especially as I'd have to buy a charger
    as well.


    http://www.therush.uk.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=293&osCsid=de746749eb537871d2d13cd097dd6302

    That looks like a decent price to me - at a first glance, 6x1.2 9ah cells
    would cost me £50 or so, and i'd still have to mangle the battery pack.

    Quoted message said:

    There is a model shop in town so perhaps I'll go and see them first.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.