General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Blood sweat and tears

Started by John Laird · · Last activity · 17 posts · 1,208 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
16 January 2004
Last activity
16 January 2004
Original author
John Laird
Posts
17
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,208
Views / 30 days
4

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–17 of 17
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Do any of the regular walkers hereabouts also give blood ? If so, have you noticed any degradation
    in your performance afterwards, and for how long ?

    I gave blood for many years every 3-6 months or so, and do a serious walk probably only once a
    month. The two events rarely coincided. However, my last walk was only 4 days after my first go at
    apheresis, where the blood is abstracted and separated and "unwanted" components returned. I gave
    what is referred to as a "double dose" of red cells, that is, just about every red cell in just over
    one litre of blood.

    Not thinking much of it, I tootled off to the Howgills for the day on my tod. The fell ascents were
    *incredibly* hard going - I didn't feel so much out of breath or tired as simply unable to work hard
    for any length of time. I'm a walker who prefers to work harder rather than slow down, taking
    occasional rests, but I was having to stop twice as often as usual and sweat was just pouring off
    me. It was a puzzle for some time until I started to put two and two together. Red blood cells carry
    oxygen to and carbon dioxide away from muscles ;-) Less blood cells, less work.

    A little research revealed that red cells take about 7 days to make, so I wasn't benefitting from
    any increased production. Further, it would have taken on average a month for my red cell count to
    be back to 92% of its original value (without iron supplements), having been depleted to 85% after
    donating. Perhaps my bone marrow needs more exercise too ;-)

    Thought this would make a change from digital photography...

    --
    Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.

    Mail john rather than nospam...

  2. In message <[email hidden]>, John Laird <nospam@laird-
    towers.org.uk> writes

    Quoted message said:

    Thought this would make a change from digital photography...


    Paul will probably reply with a link to a picture that he has taken of a red cell!

    --
    Martin Richardson
    216/284 Munros (34/34 'Furths'😉
    217/89 Donalds 389/1552 Marilyns 439/439 Nuttalls

  3. "John Laird" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Do any of the regular walkers hereabouts also give blood ? If so, have


    you

    Quoted message said:

    noticed any degradation in your performance afterwards, and for how long ?

    Quoted message said:

    I gave blood regularly for years until, ironically, the amount of time


    I'd accumulated in the UK made my blood no longer of interest to the American Red Cross--too great a
    likelihood of bovine spongiform encephaly is their reasoning. The day after giving, I was usually
    tired, unambitious, generally sluggish, and occasionally slightly feverish. I wouldn't have demanded
    much of myself for a day or two.

  4. In message <[email hidden]>, john goldfine <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:


    "John Laird" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Do any of the regular walkers hereabouts also give blood ? If so, have


    you

    Quoted message said:

    noticed any degradation in your performance afterwards, and for how long ?

    Quoted message said:

    I gave blood regularly for years until, ironically, the amount of time


    I'd accumulated in the UK made my blood no longer of interest to the American Red Cross--too great
    a likelihood of bovine spongiform encephaly is their reasoning. The day after giving, I was usually
    tired, unambitious, generally sluggish, and occasionally slightly feverish. I wouldn't have
    demanded much of myself for a day or two.


    My blood was turned down here in Scotland a few weeks ago because I'd been in New Hampshire three
    weeks previously. The fear was that I might have contracted West Nile Disease.

  5. "John Laird" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    Do any of the regular walkers hereabouts also give blood ? If so, have


    you

    Quoted message said:

    noticed any degradation in your performance afterwards, and for how long ?

    I cycle to work and can happily go for a quick run the day after without noticing any difference but
    one of only a couple of times I've run down my glycogen stores (bonking as I think cyclists call it)
    so that I felt exhausted at the end of a bike ride was a couple of days after giving blood. Maybe
    just coincidence and more to do with how much I'd eaten beforehand.

  6. In message <[email hidden]>, John Laird <nospam@laird-
    towers.org.uk> writes

    Quoted message said:
    Chris Townsend said:

    My blood was turned down here in Scotland a few weeks ago because I'd been in New Hampshire three
    weeks previously. The fear was that I might have contracted West Nile Disease.

    Odd, they must have had some sort of outbreak. A trip to North America doesn't usually raise any
    eyebrows.

    It never has before. But there have been a gradual spread of West Nile Disease in the last few
    years. It's spread by mosquitoes. Of which there were none in New Hampshire, especially the White
    Mountains, in October.

    Quoted message said:


    To return to the original query I haven't noticed any debility in the days immediately following
    giving blood. I can remember feeling a little tired when I cycled the five miles home straight after
    giving blood once.

  7. This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

    ------=_NextPart_000_0069_01C3A883.E563A200 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-
    Encoding: quoted-printable

    -------------------------------------------------------------------------=
    -------

    Why wait..... ;-) -------------------------------------------------------------------------=
    -------

    ------=_NextPart_000_0069_01C3A883.E563A200 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-
    Encoding: quoted-printable

    <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEAD> <META http-equiv=3DContent-
    Type content=3D"text/html; = charset=3Diso-8859-1"> <META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2800.1106"
    name=3DGENERATOR> <STYLE></STYLE> </HEAD> <BODY>
    <DIV><FONT face=3DVerdana color=3D#ff0000 size=3D2><STRONG> <HR> </STRONG></FONT></DIV>
    <><FONT face=3DVerdana color=3D#ff0000 size=3D2><STRONG>Why wait..... =

    ;-)</STRONG></FONT></DIV><FONT face=3DVerdana size=3D2> <HR> </FONT></BODY></HTML>

    ------=_NextPart_000_0069_01C3A883.E563A200--

  8. john goldfine said:

    "John Laird" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Do any of the regular walkers hereabouts also give blood ? If so, have


    you

    Quoted message said:

    noticed any degradation in your performance afterwards, and for how long ?

    I gave blood regularly for years until, ironically, the amount of time I'd accumulated in the UK
    made my blood no longer of interest to the American Red Cross--too great a likelihood of bovine
    spongiform encephaly is their reasoning.

    Before I started this "new" procedure, I trawled the Net for information out of interest and chanced
    upon a set of exclusions for some American health organisation. They made pretty depressing reading
    for any patriotic Brits - we rank only slightly above lepers, it would seem. Still, they can stuff
    their GM crops right up...

    Quoted message said:

    The day after giving, I was usually tired, unambitious, generally sluggish, and occasionally
    slightly feverish.

    That's situation normal for me. I've only ever felt below par if I've tried to be active. (Apart
    from the first time when some loon nearly ran me over on my bike immediately outside, shades of Tony
    Hancock...)

    --
    A man without a woman is like a neck without pain.

    Mail john rather than nospam...

  9. Chris Townsend said:

    My blood was turned down here in Scotland a few weeks ago because I'd been in New Hampshire three
    weeks previously. The fear was that I might have contracted West Nile Disease.

    Odd, they must have had some sort of outbreak. A trip to North America doesn't usually raise
    any eyebrows.

    --
    To err is human; to blame it on someone else is politics.

    Mail john rather than nospam...

  10. Martin Richardson said:

    Paul will probably reply with a link to a picture that he has taken of a red cell!

    wildwales.fsnet.co.ukredcell.gif

    Paul
    --
    The October Project 2003
    wildwales.fsnet.co.ukoctober.html
    wilderness-wales.co.ukwilderness-wales.co.uk
    photosig.comuserphotos

  11. "Chris Townsend" > >

    Quoted message said:

    My blood was turned down here in Scotland a few weeks ago because I'd been in New Hampshire three
    weeks previously. The fear was that I might have contracted West Nile Disease.

    On the one hand, I'm glad that the collecting agencies are trying to avoid the scandals of 15 and 20
    years ago when--in France, I believe, and here in the US too--thousands of people were infected with
    HIV because of blood the agencies already knew was dicey. Bureaucracy being what it is, no surprise
    those responsible tired to keep up their quotas and avoid publicity by crossing their fingers and
    otherwise indulging in magical thinking.

    On the other, I wonder how much current policy is dictated by science and rational calculation of
    likelihoods and how much by lawyers for whom nothing is easier than forbidding any activity ever
    likely to give even the eventual hint of a lawsuit.

    Giving blood made me feel good--however groggy I might have felt the day following--if you see what
    I mean, and I regret my exclusion.

  12. Chris Townsend said:

    In message <[email hidden]>, john goldfine <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    "John Laird" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Do any of the regular walkers hereabouts also give blood ? If so, have


    you

    Quoted message said:

    noticed any degradation in your performance afterwards, and for how long ?

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I gave blood regularly for years until, ironically, the amount of time


    I'd accumulated in the UK made my blood no longer of interest to the American Red Cross--too great
    a likelihood of bovine spongiform encephaly is their reasoning. The day after giving, I was
    usually tired, unambitious, generally sluggish, and occasionally slightly feverish. I wouldn't
    have demanded much of myself for a day or two.

    Quoted message said:

    My blood was turned down here in Scotland a few weeks ago because I'd been in New Hampshire three
    weeks previously. The fear was that I might have contracted West Nile Disease.

    The only time I ever tried to give blood they turned me down on the grounds that I needed it myself!
    I think that was prejudice on the part of a chubby nurse towards an unusually skinny person. At the
    same age when admitted to hospital for an appendectomy, and otherwise fighting fit, I was given a
    painfully huge injection of vitamins on the grounds that I "looked" as though I was suffering from
    malnutrition. Don't think I looked any skinnier than your average Olympic marathon runner.

    Now that age has increased my weight in the usual way, so that my weight is "normal" (today's half-
    baked doctors seem to think that normal = average), I have a hard time persuading my doctor not to
    laugh when I claim I need to lose weight. He points to his charts. I try to explain that I'm
    actually an overweight skinny man.

    Whatever happened to Sheldon's body types? (Endomorph, mesomorph, and ectomorph.) Medicine seems
    to have gone mad over averages, without any of the cautions that a weekend course in statistics
    could impart.

    If doctors want us patients to take them more seriously, they really need to brush up their basic
    scientific education :-)
    --
    Chris Malcolm [email hidden] +44 (0)131 651 3445 DoD #205
    IPAB, Informatics, JCMB, King's Buildings, Edinburgh, EH9 3JZ, UK
    ["]http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]

  13. Paul Saunders said:
    Martin Richardson said:

    Paul will probably reply with a link to a picture that he has taken of a red cell!

    wildwales.fsnet.co.ukredcell.gif

    Woah, your white cell count is worryingly high :-)

    --
    Once, I thought I was wrong - but I was mistaken.

    Mail john rather than nospam...

  14. John Laird wrote

    Quoted message said:
    Chris Townsend said:

    My blood was turned down here in Scotland a few weeks ago because I'd been in New Hampshire three
    weeks previously. The fear was that I might have contracted West Nile Disease.

    Odd, they must have had some sort of outbreak. A trip to North America doesn't usually raise any
    eyebrows.


    There was an alert at the beginning of the summer and a 4 week quarantine brought into effect. I was
    lucky enough to have been in Wisconsin midway between donations so escaped the quarantine. Nothing
    really lucky though about being in Wisconsin, it's pretty flat, hot and humid and I was bitten by a
    mosquito within two minutes of stepping out of Green Bay airport. Fortunately it was not a WND
    carrier - I believe birds are the main carriers, especially round the Great Lakes, and mosquitoes
    help to transfer the bug/virus.

    Graham

  15. Chris Malcolm said:

    Now that age has increased my weight in the usual way, so that my weight is "normal" (today's half-
    baked doctors seem to think that normal = average), I have a hard time persuading my doctor not to
    laugh when I claim I need to lose weight. He points to his charts. I try to explain that I'm
    actually an overweight skinny man.

    Another good point. I'd describe myself the same way. For a great many years my normal weight was
    just 9.5 stone. I'm currently 11 stone. I'd be happy with 10 (but I'd rather get back down to 9.5
    stone then add 0.5 stone of muscle).

    Paul
    --
    The October Project 2003
    wildwales.fsnet.co.ukoctober.html
    wilderness-wales.co.ukwilderness-wales.co.uk
    photosig.comuserphotos

  16. [email hidden] said...

    Quoted message said:

    Giving blood made me feel good--however groggy I might have felt the day following--if you see
    what I mean, and I regret my exclusion.


    I can relate to that, having been refused for the last umpteen years for various reasons. The one
    time my blood was accepted left me feeling wonderful, even if I did nearly pass out immediately
    afterwards :-(
    --
    Fran If you need my email address please ask.

  17. John Laird said:
    Quoted message said:

    wildwales.fsnet.co.ukredcell.gif

    Woah, your white cell count is worryingly high :-)

    That's exactly what my doctor said a couple of years ago!

    Paul
    --
    The October Project 2003
    wildwales.fsnet.co.ukoctober.html
    wilderness-wales.co.ukwilderness-wales.co.uk
    photosig.comuserphotos

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.