rec.sport.unicycling · Public discussion

BMX uni for Flat?

Started by Jedimind · · Last activity · 36 posts · 687 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
rec.sport.unicycling
Published
2 March 2008
Last activity
10 March 2008
Original author
Jedimind
Posts
36
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
687
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–36 of 36
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Spencer Hochberg said:

    Now my uni is all KH (with my Thomson and Wallis seat).

    Spencer the KH cranks are ok for crank rollings? My father is going to
    barcelona next week, so i'm thinking about selling my K1 and get a
    KH... But someone told me that the Moments cranks sucks for crank
    rollings!

    Thanks!

    --
    pedrotejada

    Unicycle in Brazil!
    São Paulo-SP 😄

    Sorry about the terrible english!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    pedrotejada's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/14471
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/68129

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  2. pedrotejada said:

    K1 hub fit's the 125 Quax CrMO cranks? Isn't koxx isis smaller than the
    original ISIS present on the KH and Nimbus Hubs and Cranks?

    Bye!

    No, they dont really fit correctly. The K1 hub is bigger than true
    ISIS. So my Qu-ax CrMO cranks dont slide on all they way, they stay
    further out on the axle. I dont really recomend this to anyone, as it
    may not be the strongest setup... works for me tho, and it makes for
    tons of room to put your feet on.

    --
    agentQ

    *)--SmallSpin-'O,*
    *)---TreFlip-'O,
    'Uneed Films' (http://www.uneedfilms.com)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    agentQ's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13021
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/68129

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  3. pedrotejada said:

    Spencer the KH cranks are ok for crank rollings? My father is going to
    barcelona next week, so i'm thinking about selling my K1 and get a
    KH... But someone told me that the Moments cranks sucks for crank
    rollings!

    Thanks!

    I don't think that they suck for rolling wraps and that stuff, but they
    are definitely less comfortable and stable than the KH/Onzas and K1
    street cranks.

    --
    mornish

    aim:kiloornish
    email: mornish at gmail dot com
    msn: mornish at gmail dot com
    'facebook' (http://hs.facebook.com/profile.php?id=681695483)

    Brian O said:

    You rode around naked on a unicycle in your basement? That's both mildly
    creepy and hilarious.


    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    mornish's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11658
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/68129

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  4. beeper said:

    I could be wrong, but aren't bike tires much heavier?

    You could always get a uni tire and shave it, or shave the one you have
    to save money..

    I could be as wrong as ever right now, so would someone please correct
    me if I am extremely off.

    For the sake of correcting you, all tires we use are off bikes, there
    are no tires made for unicycling.

    --
    Evan Byrne
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Evan Byrne's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9367
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/68129

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  5. I basically had the same question a little while back and got some
    great feedback.

    I've almost got my uni built up and I'm just waiting on the tire and
    pedals.

    This is what I did.

    Nimbus X frame
    Nimbus DJ rim 36H
    Nimbus ISIS hub
    Black 14g spokes
    Qu-Ax crmo 125 cranks
    I'm using a steel post and a nimbus saddle with CF seatbase.

    Still waiting on.

    20x2.25 Fly Rueben kevlar folding tire
    Eastern plastic pedals.

    Initial impressions:

    I put some cheap pedals on it, I had lying around and a 20x2.125 Bmx
    knobby tire. So far I really like it and I'm sure I'll like it even
    more with the smooth light tire.

    I really like the rim (it's HUGE) and the feel of the cranks. It's
    exactly as AgentQ said, smooth fast and less forgiving of technique.

    I definately will not completely replace my 19in setup. I think it
    gives a uni with a different feel that is funner in some ways, but the
    trials tire is still nice for other things.

    I'll post pics when I get the tire and pedals on.

    --
    Loch
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Loch's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/15711
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/68129

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  6. Evan Byrne said:

    For the sake of correcting you, all tires we use are off bikes, there
    are no tires made for unicycling.

    36'ers?

    --
    412
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    412's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/14317
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/68129

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  7. 412 said:

    36'ers?

    Cocky thing to bring up?

    --
    Borgschulze

    'deviantART'
    (http://borgschulze.deviantart.com/)'Gravity'
    (http://videos.observedtrials.net/Gravity.wmv) is -not- the
    issue.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Borgschulze's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13501
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/68129

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  8. I think you'd want the longneck frame. Besides, the Black widow has
    cotterless cranks.

    The DJ rim is available in 36 spoke.
    http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=1148

    --
    skilewis74

    Ride everywhere and never just ride anywhere. If you can ride where you
    are going within a hour, do it, and if you can do a trick 50-75% of the
    time do it along the way.- Bob Burnquist

    What next? 'IUF skill levels'
    (http://www.unicycling.org/iuf/levels/)*'
    Street'
    (http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/The_Unicyclopedia/Street)*'unicycletips.com'
    (http://unicycletips.com/)*'Trials class system'
    (http://tinyurl.com/yqpvxk)*'Trials Building'
    (http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64235)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    skilewis74's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12404
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/68129

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  9. 412 said:

    36'ers?

    Well the original coker tire was made for the Coker Wheelman penny
    farthing.

    --
    Brian O.

    *'ProjectUNI' (http://www.projectuni.com) - *The First Serious Unicycle
    Computer Game* - -ProjectUNI update available 'here!'
    (http://projectuni.com/#lightbox3)-* - Join the 'discussion.'
    (http://www.projectuni.com/forum)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Brian O.'s Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10744
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/68129

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  10. ...and the wheel TA was for the Qu-Ax Penny-Farthing. The only real
    unicycling tires that I can think of are the Nightrider, Coker XLR
    (when it comes out), and the smaller sized Qu-Ax freestyle tires.

    --
    zfreak220

    agentQ said:

    Don't quote me on that.


    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    zfreak220's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11948
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/68129

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  11. Jedimind said:

    I've seen a few BMX unis before

    BMX is an acronym for Bicycle Motocross.

    AFAIK, there is no such thing as a "bicycle unicycle"... unless you're
    talking about a tricycle.

    I have yet to hear of a unicyclist entering into a motocross-style
    competition. Being that it's nearly impossible to "get big air" on a
    uni, I don't see this happening.

    Of course, we've been using BMX components on unicycles for a while...
    but that doesn't make them bicycles (or tricycles), now, does it?

    Could somone explain how the name "BMX uni" holds any meaning?

    --
    maestro8

    Those are my principles. If you don't like those, I have others. --
    Groucho Marx

    The only way to comprehend what mathematicians mean by Infinity is to
    contemplate the extent of human stupidity. -- François-Marie Arouet de
    Voltaire
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    maestro8's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7871
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/68129

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  12. maestro8 said:

    BMX is an acronym for Bicycle Motocross.

    AFAIK, there is no such thing as a "bicycle unicycle"... unless you're
    talking about a tricycle.

    I have yet to hear of a unicyclist entering into a motocross-style
    competition. Being that it's nearly impossible to "get big air" on a
    uni, I don't see this happening.

    Of course, we've been using BMX components on unicycles for a while...
    but that doesn't make them bicycles (or tricycles), now, does it?

    Could somone explain how the name "BMX uni" holds any meaning?

    Well the only reason to refur to a "bmx" when talking bikes (vs. just
    "bike"😉, is to describe the components invloved. A "bmx uni" refurs to
    a 20" rim and 20" tire off a -BMX- bike.

    --
    Evan Byrne
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Evan Byrne's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9367
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/68129

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  13. Evan Byrne said:

    Well the only reason to refur to a "bmx" when talking bikes (vs. just
    "bike"😉, is to describe the components invloved. A "bmx uni" refurs to
    a 20" rim and 20" tire off a -BMX- bike.

    Yeah, basically a freestyle uni with stronger components.

    --
    Jerrick

    -i am christian, and i ride for christ.
    check out my 'gallery' (http://tinyurl.com/2zfklh).
    member of the 'mris' (http://tinyurl.com/jjjnz).
    just don't give up trying to do what you really want to do. where
    there's love and inspiration, i don't think you can go wrong.
    ~jerrick-
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Jerrick's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11632
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/68129

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  14. Loch said:

    I
    This is what I did.

    Nimbus X frame
    Nimbus DJ rim 36H
    Nimbus ISIS hub
    Black 14g spokes
    Qu-Ax crmo 125 cranks
    I'm using a steel post and a nimbus saddle with CF seatbase.

    Still waiting on.

    20x2.25 Fly Rueben kevlar folding tire
    Eastern plastic pedals.

    I'll post pics when I get the tire and pedals on.

    The stuff finally arrived so here are the pics.

    I ended up with a Shadow Conspiracy Undertaker folding tire 20 x2.25.
    It's is a very nice tire, not at light as I thought it would be, but
    it's very stable. I really like this uni.

    [image:
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/vanloch/nimbus/nimbusxsmful.jpg]

    [image:
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/vanloch/nimbus/nimbusxsm.jpg]

    Edit: Thanks again to everyone for their help and input in putting
    this together.

    --
    Loch
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Loch's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/15711
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/68129

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  15. That looks pretty sweet. I just picked up a pair of those pedals myself.
    The pins ware pretty fast and dirt and ice will get stuck in the
    knurls, so they arn't great for bad weather.
    Hows that rim feel?

    Also, in case you guys dont check out the traiding post. I have a BMX
    uni for sale:
    http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68250

    --
    agentQ

    *)--SmallSpin-'O,*
    *)---TreFlip-'O,
    'Uneed Films' (http://www.uneedfilms.com)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    agentQ's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13021
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/68129

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  16. agentQ said:

    That looks pretty sweet. I just picked up a pair of those pedals myself.
    The pins ware pretty fast and dirt and ice will get stuck in the
    knurls, so they arn't great for bad weather.
    Hows that rim feel?

    Also, in case you guys dont check out the traiding post. I have a BMX
    uni for sale:
    http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68250

    Great price on a nice bmx uni.

    The rim goes well with the tires. The smooth 20x2.25 tire with the
    wide rim make the ride a little more trials like, but still smooth and
    fast. The other tire I had on was just a knobby bmx tire and it was
    squirrelly. The width of the undertaker would be almost as wide as a
    Creepy Crawler if the knobs on the sides were shaved off, but the tire
    isn't nearly as tall.

    I also got a red Kenda Kontact 20x2.25 for riding indoors for $10. It
    feels really nice too, a lot like the undertaker. The side walls are
    much thinner, but the rim keeps it pretty stable. I don't really do
    side hops with this uni anyway though.

    --
    Loch
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Loch's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/15711
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/68129

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.