Bonded alum frame, any benefit to carbon fork?

Doug

Guest
Hey all,

I'm currently running a bonded aluminum Trek road frame with an aluminum fork. As those in the know
know, these are great riding frames, the poor man's carbon fiber.

But I'm curious about what a carbon fork would do, I can always enjoy a smoother ride. Weight
savings is a minor to unimportant consideration, stiffness for climbing and sprinting an added bonus
but not critical.

Anyone with before and after experience going from an Al to carbon fork on a bonded frame? Or steel
to carbon anyway? What are you experiences after some serious use?

Thanks, Doug

The fork material makes no difference whatsoever to ride. This stuff is all myth. If you want a
smoother ride get softer fatter tyres.

In article <[email protected]>, Doug <[email protected]> wrote:
>Hey all,
>
>I'm currently running a bonded aluminum Trek road frame with an aluminum fork. As those in the know
>know, these are great riding frames, the poor man's carbon fiber.
>
>But I'm curious about what a carbon fork would do, I can always enjoy a smoother ride. Weight
>savings is a minor to unimportant consideration, stiffness for climbing and sprinting an added
>bonus but not critical.
>
>Anyone with before and after experience going from an Al to carbon fork on a bonded frame? Or steel
>to carbon anyway? What are you experiences after some serious use?

I doubt you'll find much difference other than weight.

There are major variations in stiffness of both aluminum and carbon fiber forks. Some are quite
noodly compared to steel.

"Gearóid Ó Laoi/Garry Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> The fork material makes no difference whatsoever to ride. This stuff is
all
> myth. If you want a smoother ride get softer fatter tyres.

If that's the case, why do my hands "buzz" more when I'm riding my 'cross bike with a steel fork?
Same wheels/tires, same inflation, same roads. Less vibration comes through to the bars with
carbon forks.

There's a difference. It may be subtle, but it is there.

Mike

Doug <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Anyone with before and after experience going from an Al to carbon fork

The Kinesis Crosslight fork I had would make my hands numb and fall asleep with 10 miles of riding.
I now have a Sintema Muddy carbon fork and have no hand comfort issues on 50+ mile rides.

Warren