Australia and New Zealand · Public discussion

Book review - A significant other

Started by DaveB · · Last activity · 14 posts · 909 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Australia and New Zealand
Published
15 February 2005
Last activity
15 February 2005
Original author
DaveB
Posts
14
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
909
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–14 of 14
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Actually I was going to title this Book report but suddenly felt like I
    had to stand up in front of a class.

    Anyway add another book to my list of disappointments. This one has only
    recently hit the bookshops. It sounded really good being about Victor
    Hugo Pena's role in the 2003 TdF and the sections on him or by him
    didn't disappoint. But there was too few of them and most of the book
    was filled with TdF history [censored] and even a chapter on globalisation. So
    a couple of good chapters on the roles of the domestiques and a detailed
    writeup on a key stage but a book that just didn't deliver. Doh 20 bucks
    wasted.

    DaveB "refusing to buy any books not recommended by someone else"

  2. DaveB said:

    Actually I was going to title this Book report but suddenly felt like I
    had to stand up in front of a class.

    Anyway add another book to my list of disappointments. This one has only
    recently hit the bookshops. It sounded really good being about Victor
    Hugo Pena's role in the 2003 TdF and the sections on him or by him
    didn't disappoint. But there was too few of them and most of the book
    was filled with TdF history [censored] and even a chapter on globalisation. So
    a couple of good chapters on the roles of the domestiques and a detailed
    writeup on a key stage but a book that just didn't deliver. Doh 20 bucks
    wasted.

    DaveB "refusing to buy any books not recommended by someone else"


    Ok - trying to get you literary value: "23 days in July" by John Wilcockson (Velonews) is a bit of an extended race report, but he writes so well, Lance doesn't even come across as the bone-headed egotist that he so obviously is (pre-emptively dons flame armour). It's a bit like an extended Phil Liggett - why is it the Poms are the best commentators - cricket, everything? (Yes, I know he's an ex-pat, but he's got that quizzical sensibility that John Arlott used to have).

    Give it a try - see what you think. It sucked me in.

    M "literatus" H

  3. DaveB said:

    Actually I was going to title this Book report but suddenly felt like I
    had to stand up in front of a class.

    Anyway add another book to my list of disappointments. This one has only
    recently hit the bookshops. It sounded really good being about Victor
    Hugo Pena's role in the 2003 TdF and the sections on him or by him
    didn't disappoint. But there was too few of them and most of the book
    was filled with TdF history [censored] and even a chapter on globalisation. So
    a couple of good chapters on the roles of the domestiques and a detailed
    writeup on a key stage but a book that just didn't deliver. Doh 20 bucks
    wasted.

    DaveB "refusing to buy any books not recommended by someone else"

    Oh damn! This 'sounded' like a good'un when I first heard about it -
    it's on my list to buy.

    Wanna get rid of your copy?

    hippy

  4. hippy said:


    Oh damn! This 'sounded' like a good'un when I first heard about it -
    it's on my list to buy.

    Wanna get rid of your copy?

    hippy

    Yeah you can have it, it'll cost you a 5spd wheel ... oh hang on a
    minute. Tell you what I'll do. I'll register it at www.bookcrossing.com
    (if you haven't seen this it's where you register a book, turn it loose
    into the wild, and follow it's progress) and pass it on to you (can drop
    it off with you at work one day on a school pickup). Then you can either
    pass it on to someone or turn it loose.

    DaveB

  5. DaveB said:
    hippy said:

    Wanna get rid of your copy?

    Yeah you can have it, it'll cost you a 5spd wheel ... oh hang on a
    minute. Tell you what I'll do. I'll register it at www.bookcrossing.com
    (if you haven't seen this it's where you register a book, turn it loose
    into the wild, and follow it's progress) and pass it on to you (can drop
    it off with you at work one day on a school pickup). Then you can either
    pass it on to someone or turn it loose.

    Book Crossing.. what a cool idea!! I've never heard of that before! 😄
    Probably because I hoard all my books and I thought everyone was too
    busy with google and Playstations to read nowadays..

    I'll participate! Maybe I can take it with me to Europe and read it
    while I attempt to tour places by bike, then leave it in another country?

    Yes, I am again thinking of doing some cycle touring! I should've paid
    more attention to those guys with the knee socks.. I'm so out of my
    depth.. hopefully enthusiasm makes up for knowledge!! :S 😉

    hippy

  6. mfhor said:

    Ok - trying to get you literary value: "23 days in July" by John Wilcockson (Velonews) is a bit of an extended race report, but he writes so well, Lance doesn't even come across as the bone-headed egotist that he so obviously is (pre-emptively dons flame armour). It's a bit like an extended Phil Liggett - why is it the Poms are the best commentators - cricket, everything? (Yes, I know he's an ex-pat, but he's got that quizzical sensibility that John Arlott used to have).

    Give it a try - see what you think. It sucked me in.

    M "literatus" H


    what about bill lawry?????

  7. hippy said:


    Book Crossing.. what a cool idea!! I've never heard of that before! 😄
    Probably because I hoard all my books and I thought everyone was too
    busy with google and Playstations to read nowadays..

    I'm a book hoarder but found I had a heap of books I didn't really like
    but were too good to chuck out which was when I found Bookcrossing.
    Seemed like a good way to get rid of books that I didn't really like but
    others might.

    DaveB

  8. On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 at 03:02 GMT, hippy (aka Bruce)
    was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea:

    Quoted message said:

    Yes, I am again thinking of doing some cycle touring! I should've paid
    more attention to those guys with the knee socks..

    HAW HAW!

    Quoted message said:

    I'm so out of my depth.. hopefully enthusiasm makes up for
    knowledge!! :S 😉

    Get rid of your single speed, get a tourer, kit it up with dynamo and
    fenders and racks and panniers. Get a trailer, and take Hatchback (why
    is he always licking himself?) on the back, ala Roger and his dog.

    --
    TimC -- http://astronomy.swin.edu.au/staff/tconnors/
    "Some people think that noise abatement should be a higher priority for ATC. I
    say safety is noise abatement. You have no idea how much noise it makes to have
    a 737 fall out of the sky after an accident." -- anon. air traffic controller

  9. TimC said:

    Get a trailer, and take Hatchback (why is he always licking himself?)

    Because he can.

  10. mfhor said:
    DaveB said:

    Actually I was going to title this Book report but suddenly felt like I
    had to stand up in front of a class.

    Anyway add another book to my list of disappointments. This one has
    only
    recently hit the bookshops. It sounded really good being about Victor
    Hugo Pena's role in the 2003 TdF and the sections on him or by him
    didn't disappoint. But there was too few of them and most of the book
    was filled with TdF history [censored] and even a chapter on globalisation.
    So
    a couple of good chapters on the roles of the domestiques and a
    detailed
    writeup on a key stage but a book that just didn't deliver. Doh 20
    bucks
    wasted.

    DaveB "refusing to buy any books not recommended by someone else"

    Ok - trying to get you literary value: "23 days in July" by John
    Wilcockson (Velonews) is a bit of an extended race report, but he
    writes so well, Lance doesn't even come across as the bone-headed
    egotist that he so obviously is (pre-emptively dons flame armour). It's
    a bit like an extended Phil Liggett - why is it the Poms are the best
    commentators - cricket, everything? (Yes, I know he's an ex-pat, but
    he's got that quizzical sensibility that John Arlott used to have).

    Give it a try - see what you think. It sucked me in.

    M "literatus" H

    I'm almost finished 23 days in July.

    I agree. Very engaging and entertaining.

    --
    Nick

  11. TimC said:

    On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 at 03:02 GMT, hippy (aka Bruce)

    Quoted message said:

    Yes, I am again thinking of doing some cycle touring! I should've paid
    more attention to those guys with the knee socks..

    HAW HAW!

    ;-) Helmet mirrors be damned!

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I'm so out of my depth.. hopefully enthusiasm makes up for
    knowledge!! :S 😉

    Get rid of your single speed,

    Never! :P

    I'm thinking about using an Il Pompino (ss) for the 'tour' (Belgium and
    Netherlands are pretty flat right?) and it will become my commuter in
    London afterwards. Unless my mate comes with, in which case we go to
    Spain too.. they have some large hills there :S
    If I can't climb it on the bike.. I can walk it right? 🙂

    Quoted message said:

    get a tourer, kit it up with dynamo and fenders and racks and panniers.

    A cheap tourer is an option, but the SS has a certain appeal with me. It
    might accomodate a Rohloff hub should I really need gears ($$$ though)
    but I'm not particularly interested. Why the dynamo over batteries?
    Touring is the exception I'll make for full fenders and rack/panniers 🙂

    Quoted message said:

    Get a trailer,

    bikesoiler used a BoB trailer over there. Nice idea but $570+.

    Quoted message said:

    and take Hatchback (why is he always licking himself?) on the back,


    ala Roger and his dog.

    Hey.. you know you would if you could.. um.. i mean.. um.. yeah.
    I don't think he's too fond of bikes actually. Perhaps I should try
    harder to not run him over all the time.. he blends in so well in the
    dark.. (that was a joke RSPCA!).

    hippy

  12. mfhor said:

    Ok - trying to get you literary value: "23 days in July" by John Wilcockson (Velonews) is a bit of an extended race report, but he writes so well, Lance doesn't even come across as the bone-headed egotist that he so obviously is (pre-emptively dons flame armour). It's a bit like an extended Phil Liggett - why is it the Poms are the best commentators - cricket, everything? (Yes, I know he's an ex-pat, but he's got that quizzical sensibility that John Arlott used to have).

    Give it a try - see what you think. It sucked me in.

    M "literatus" H

    Must take a fair bit of writing talent to ensure Armstrong doesn´t come across as an egotist. That in itself makes me want to read it!

    I quite like the dulcate tone´s of Ligget commentating but overall both him and mostly his mate Sherwin rather annoy me. They are wrong often and try a bit too hard to make things exciting. The constant cliches just get to me. Thing is there isnt all that much competition as far as english language cycling commentators go. Actually since ive learnt another language ive realised just how overrated Phil and Paul are, though for what its worth both very nice guys.

  13. quote='hippy'TimC said:

    On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 at 03:02 GMT, hippy (aka Bruce)

    Quoted message said:

    Yes, I am again thinking of doing some cycle touring! I should've paid
    more attention to those guys with the knee socks..

    HAW HAW!

    ;-) Helmet mirrors be damned!

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I'm so out of my depth.. hopefully enthusiasm makes up for
    knowledge!! :S 😉

    Get rid of your single speed,

    Never! :P

    I'm thinking about using an Il Pompino (ss) for the 'tour' (Belgium and
    Netherlands are pretty flat right?) and it will become my commuter in
    London afterwards. Unless my mate comes with, in which case we go to
    Spain too.. they have some large hills there :S
    If I can't climb it on the bike.. I can walk it right? 🙂

    Quoted message said:

    get a tourer, kit it up with dynamo and fenders and racks and panniers.

    A cheap tourer is an option, but the SS has a certain appeal with me. It
    might accomodate a Rohloff hub should I really need gears ($$$ though)
    but I'm not particularly interested. Why the dynamo over batteries?
    Touring is the exception I'll make for full fenders and rack/panniers 🙂

    hippy[/QUOTE]

    Its flat in The Netherlands (wind can more than make up for it) obviously though down in the extreme south of Amstel Gold country it can be pretty hilly i hear. Its been so long since ive seen a hill, i actually get excited to go over a longer bridge and even those are just gloried pre pubescent bumps. If in Belgium and you dont want to encounter hills, stear clear of the Ardennes. Though id ride through, it would be an experience.

    Depending on when your thinking of going? you could probably work out a way to tour around seeing quite a few races in these 2 countries. Specially post Tour theres lots of little criteriums around in regional parts of Holland for example.

    Also depending on your travel arrangements, thought of getting a bike for touring in Holland? theres no shortage of options and extras here.

  14. oely said:
    hippy said:

    I'm thinking about using an Il Pompino (ss) for the 'tour' (Belgium
    and Netherlands are pretty flat right?) and it will become my commuter in
    London afterwards. Unless my mate comes with, in which case we go to
    Spain too.. they have some large hills there :S
    If I can't climb it on the bike.. I can walk it right? 🙂

    Its flat in The Netherlands (wind can more than make up for it)

    It'll be just like Mildura, minus 30degC or so 🙂

    Quoted message said:

    obviously though down in the extreme south of Amstel Gold country it
    can be pretty hilly i hear. Its been so long since ive seen a hill, i
    actually get excited to go over a longer bridge and even those are just
    gloried pre pubescent bumps. If in Belgium and you dont want to
    encounter hills, stear clear of the Ardennes. Though id ride through,
    it would be an experience.

    "The western portion of Belgium, consisting of the two Flanders, Antwerp
    and parts of Brabant and Hainaut, is flat, being little above the level
    of the sea; and indeed at one point near Fumes it is 7 ft. below it.
    ....
    the whole of the province of Luxemburg is above 500 ft., with altitudes
    up to 1650 ft. In the south-eastern part of the province of Liege there
    are several points exceeding 2000 ft.
    ....
    While the greater part of western and northern Belgium is devoid of the
    picturesque, the Ardennes and the Fagnes districts of Between Sambre and
    Meuse and Liege contain much pleasant and some romantic scenery."

    from: http://35.1911encyclopedia.org/B/BE/BELGIUM.htm

    Doesn't tell me how hard the climbing is though..

    Quoted message said:

    Depending on when your thinking of going?

    mid-May onwards..

    Quoted message said:

    you could probably work out a
    way to tour around seeing quite a few races in these 2 countries.

    Ja.. when I was in Europe last time I just checked the UCI calender
    to see if I was near any races.. turned out I was.. saw the 'Rund um
    Koln' (Zabel, Hondo were two names of note).

    Quoted message said:

    Specially post Tour theres lots of little criteriums around in regional
    parts of Holland for example.

    I'll just jump on the back of a bunch.. 😄

    Quoted message said:

    Also depending on your travel arrangements, thought of getting a bike
    for touring in Holland? theres no shortage of options and extras here.

    My initial (and current) thought was to take my race bike over and buy a
    commuter/tourer over there. But wiser people have suggested taking a
    tour-capable bike initially. Lots of stuff in the air right now.
    "Vapour-tour" 🙂

    hippy

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.