Boot fitting recommendations

Owen

Guest
I am shortly to make a visit to the North Yorkshire Dales and North Lake
District. I need to get a pair of general walking boots (lightweight) and a
pair of walking shoes. As I am quite difficult to fit (broad foot), can
anyone recommend retail outlets that offer a good fitting service. I was
thinking of trying Altberg in Richmond, but any specific advice or
recommendations would be appreciated.

O.

Owen wrote:
> I am shortly to make a visit to the North Yorkshire Dales and North Lake
> District. I need to get a pair of general walking boots (lightweight) and a
> pair of walking shoes. As I am quite difficult to fit (broad foot), can
> anyone recommend retail outlets that offer a good fitting service. I was
> thinking of trying Altberg in Richmond, but any specific advice or
> recommendations would be appreciated.

Try Cave and Crag or Castleburg Sports in Settle.

says...
> I am shortly to make a visit to the North Yorkshire Dales and North Lake
> District. I need to get a pair of general walking boots (lightweight) and a
> pair of walking shoes. As I am quite difficult to fit (broad foot), can
> anyone recommend retail outlets that offer a good fitting service. I was
> thinking of trying Altberg in Richmond, but any specific advice or
> recommendations would be appreciated.
>
> O.

Altberg are good, although in my experience they tend to push you
towards a tighter fit than most places. They do width fittings (up to
extra wide off the shelf) which may be useful if you have broad feet.
They will also fine tune the fit to make sure you are happy. The down
side is that the designs are fairly old fashioned so if you want light
weight they might not be the best choice.
If you're in the Lake District I would highly recommend Fishers in
Keswick. They know what they're talking about when it comes to fitting,
and are more interested in making sure you're happy than making a sale.
In fact, they sent me to Altberg because they weren't 100% happy that
any of their extensive range of boots would be right for me. I have
funny shaped feet :)

"Graeme Cogger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> says...
>> I am shortly to make a visit to the North Yorkshire Dales and North Lake
>> District. I need to get a pair of general walking boots (lightweight)
>> and a
>> pair of walking shoes. As I am quite difficult to fit (broad foot), can
>> anyone recommend retail outlets that offer a good fitting service. I was
>> thinking of trying Altberg in Richmond, but any specific advice or
>> recommendations would be appreciated.
>>
>> O.
>>

> Altberg are good, although in my experience they tend to push you
> towards a tighter fit than most places. They do width fittings (up to
> extra wide off the shelf) which may be useful if you have broad feet.
> They will also fine tune the fit to make sure you are happy. The down
> side is that the designs are fairly old fashioned so if you want light
> weight they might not be the best choice.
> If you're in the Lake District I would highly recommend Fishers in
> Keswick. They know what they're talking about when it comes to fitting,
> and are more interested in making sure you're happy than making a sale.
> In fact, they sent me to Altberg because they weren't 100% happy that
> any of their extensive range of boots would be right for me. I have
> funny shaped feet :)

Thanks for the feedback. Or should that be feetback? :O)